Shadow Workshop 2024

Cassel

Lesson 7

In the first place I flipped both of the pins because I want my shadow coming from the top left and the pins haven't. For the right pin I went with all the settings as in the lesson. I made the second pin somewhat shorter and at a different angle, Therefore the shadow could be a tiny bit darker because it was nearer to the background. I was wondering what else I could use to make a different cast shadow. I have other pins but they are only different in color or what is on top. When I was browsing through my stash I found balloons and was wondering if I could make it work this way too. The size of the balloon and the washitape on the string is not in proportion to the other elements on this background, but for this trial I don't mind.

Lesson7-600-Assignment.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 5

@Jeni Simpson You did very well with those curly ribbons!

@Carolyn RyeGreat work. Hopefully, next time you try it (if you do), it will take you less time.

@Anja PelzerThe cast shadows are good for both pins.

@EukaAlthough you might not use clusters often, remember that occasionally, you could simply have two elements overlapping each other and it will make you think of this shadow trick.

@Michele You know, having an easier time drawing downward makes sense. In caligraphy, it is always downward. When you draw with a pencil, it is also easier downward mainly based on the angle of the pencil. There is actually science behind that!

@Ann SeeberI think the shadows for your pins need to have a "less blurred" section close to the contact point.

@Daniel Hess Your cast shadows look good. On the blue thumbtack, it seems like the light is a little lower on the left side. If you want to determine the light source, draw an imaginary line from the tip of the shadow to the matching tip on the element. That should give you the position of the light source.

@Rene MarkerVarious elements COULD be sticking out, whether they are pins, maybe little wooden signs, thumbtacks, and in some situations, maybe a twig could be very lifted from the page. It is not that common, but when you encounter one, you will know how the shadow will be different that the "flat" shadow.

@Susan Ewart It is fun to see you practice with 3 different sizes. In fact, the smaller one COULD be meant to be leaning toward us (away from the paper) and if so, the shadow could have been angled toward the bottom. In that case, only the shadow would tell us that the pin is angled. 

@Donna SilliaYou managed those shadow quite well. You should be proud!

@Corrie KinkelThat is a great observation. I guess I included the "wrong" pins in the practice file because in the video, it was in the correct direction. And yes, finding out how the element is lit can make the whole shadowing more consistent. I think that the balloon you used has a perfect shadow, and it could look good on a birthday card!

@Linda J WalkerIf you see a pattern in the Eraser, check if there is a texture in the background swatch. That is a well hidden "feature".

Remember that all those tricks and techniques are meant to inform you and let you observe and analyze shadows (and elements to shadow) in a critical way. It might mean that you will rotate an element that has a shading that does not match the other elements. It might mean that you will take the opportunity to warp shadows to give more dynamism or use multiple shadows if it overlaps more than one element (especially thicker ones). Don't worry, I won't be "correcting" every single shadow you will apply in your projects and I will probably take shortcuts myself too!

Keep it up. I will give feedback tomorrow too, to those who will post their projects during the day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

13 hours ago, Gerry Landreth said:

I searched for "layered clusters," which narrowed the results. The file types available for download are JPG, TIFF, or PSD.

You can use psd files in Paintshop Pro. I get PSD templates rather than single layers as in jpgs and TIFFs. That way they are already in layers and makes for easier moving of elements, if required.

• Like 2

Thanks for a very interesting workshop Carole - a lot more practice is required to master some of these shadows but hopefully  in time and maybe with a new mouse I will get there.

image.jpeg.9812aadf9d3ef9c9b1a1065edf4d974b.jpeg

• Love 5

Day 7
Thank goodness for an easier lesson than the last two. 😄 I didn't realize the highlight on the head of the pin was backward until I was done. Instead of starting over, I selected and promoted just the head of the pin and then flipped the image on the promoted layer.

Thanks for a wonderful workshop, Carole. I'll be going through it again in the future so the techniques stick.

large.Lesson7-Tutorial0101600.jpg.b62539a03da913ab2af5adeb926761e0.jpg

• Love 5

On 8/20/2024 at 10:30 PM, Anja Pelzer said:

Resize in PSP - how I do it .  save as pspimage --- save as jpg, close the image,  open jpg, go to Image/resize - resize on the 3rd tab change 300 to 72 or 96 , go to the first tab and change 3600 to 600 or 700,  ok,   now click on jpg optimizer and save it in a folder for your resized images ,   my is named layout 72 ,   now you can go to any gallery and upload , 

THNX I saved this. Works great. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Day 7.

Shadowing the pin was quite a challenge. When I got to the second project, I better understood the process.

The second picture is our front yard. I was trying to visualize planting a couple of trees. 

The trees are lifted from a website. The picture was taken on a dreary day, so I replaced the sky to make it more believable.

GNL-Shadows-Lesson7-Tutorial-600.jpg

GNL-Shadows-Lesson7-PracticeA-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I've been behind in this workshop - WAY BEHIND! I've been getting myself, the car, etc. ready for the trip I will  be taking with my daughter next week.  I've kept all the stuff for this workshop in a folder that I'll be taking on the trip, but probably won't post anything until I get back in September. This workshop will take going over many times, I think.  I've even thought of using a lamp to check out how the real shadows show on a flat surface.  Well, might post results in September.  Thank you, Carole.  Really have enjoyed looking at the videos and everyone's take on the projects.  All of you have given each of us much to think about.  Love you all!

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I got 14 out of 15.  The only one I got wrong was # 15. The answer I was looking for was to decrease the opacity of the shadow since Carole said in the workshop Greenery often lets light through and should be less opaque, but I didn't see that answer!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gerry Landreth said:

Day 7.

Shadowing the pin was quite a challenge. When I got to the second project, I better understood the process.

The second picture is our front yard. I was trying to visualize planting a couple of trees. 

The trees are lifted from a website. The picture was taken on a dreary day, so I replaced the sky to make it more believable.

GNL-Shadows-Lesson7-Tutorial-600.jpg

I think you did a nice job shadowing the pin!

Edited by Julian Adams
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Julian Adams said:

I got 14 out of 15.  The only one I got wrong was # 15. The answer I was looking for was to decrease the opacity of the shadow since Carole said in the workshop Greenery often lets light through and should be less opaque, but I didn't see that answer!

Julian I had the same problem with that answer and I didn't quite understood that question.

• Like 1

@Cassel Carole I have a question about Lesson 3 - the lifted corners of a photo or other element. The TUT/TECH challenge of July 2024 was also about a lifted corner and there you directed us to the blogpost with an explanation of that technique and it had no mention of feathering the corner which you had in this lesson. Now I'm confused: why not in the blogpost? I admit with feathering it looks nicer. In Sue's comment on my assignment in the workshop she was surprised I didn't know about the feathering so I thought it was my mistake or that I missed something. It bothered me and therefore I checked the blogpost. Maybe somebody else noticed this as well and otherwise I'm just a pain in the ass😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mary Solaas said:

I've been behind in this workshop - WAY BEHIND! I've been getting myself, the car, etc. ready for the trip I will  be taking with my daughter next week.  I've kept all the stuff for this workshop in a folder that I'll be taking on the trip, but probably won't post anything until I get back in September. This workshop will take going over many times, I think.  I've even thought of using a lamp to check out how the real shadows show on a flat surface.  Well, might post results in September.  Thank you, Carole.  Really have enjoyed looking at the videos and everyone's take on the projects.  All of you have given each of us much to think about.  Love you all!

Mary have a nice trip with your daughter and maybe there will be photos of it in some project to come as well. See you when you are back!

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Carole I have a question about Lesson 3 - the lifted corners of a photo or other element. The TUT/TECH challenge of July 2024 was also about a lifted corner and there you directed us to the blogpost with an explanation of that technique and it had no mention of feathering the corner which you had in this lesson. Now I'm confused: why not in the blogpost? I admit with feathering it looks nicer. In Sue's comment on my assignment in the workshop she was surprised I didn't know about the feathering so I thought it was my mistake or that I missed something. It bothered me and therefore I checked the blogpost. Maybe somebody else noticed this as well and otherwise I'm just a pain in the ass😉

Good observation. In the blog post, it was done before I experimented further. I agree that it should be edited in the blog post 🙂

• Like 2