Mask Workshop (2024)

Cassel

17 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Randy, I love the cat pictures.  I have one that looks just like this.  I am way behind too (four days now).  It's been a long hard/physical work week and it's not over yet.  

Thank you. I have jotted down the steps for the masking stuff and I find it so helpful to use as a guide as I move ahead. And of course, sometimes, I extend beyond the mask as I did for the bird picture so that I did not crop off the tail. Always nice to learn and use what you learn.  Thank you for all of your good things you share with us.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Cassel said:

@kasanyWhat does the TB mean in your layout? Was that a lost Teddy Bear?

@Rene MarkerOut of curiosity, does your version have the compression slider when you Save as...? It is great that you used the musical note but with only a little rotation and not have any upside down.

@RandyYou will have fans with cat pictures! The plaid pattern made from the image will surely match. Play with the scale for different effects too.

@Anne LampYou did something different, but it worked, right?

@fiona cookAt first, I didn't realize that the "tips" were part of the mask: I thought they were the stems of the garlic! LOL Then, I realized how the mask was made!

@Doska St.I don't know how PI works but in PS, you can "associate" the mask to a layer, while in PSP, masks need to be in a group. I guess it is a matter of habit, whatever program you use. You'll get used to PSP!

@Gerry LandrethYou certainly used a lot of tools and tutorials for that beach project!! The result is great.

@Ann SeeberSuch a great way to showcase a meaningful photo!!!

@Marie-ClaireOne trick to create a kaleidoscope pattern that is not overpowering is to select a section with little color variations. Then, it would create a more subtle design.

@sharon thompsonYou ended up with a great combo with your two photos. Maybe after some practice, you will get more comfortable with the Brush tool. Maybe, in the future, I could make a workshop just about Brushes?

@Lynda DiGregorYes, photos shared through FB are purposefully downgraded. For some projects, it might be ok but if you wanted to print a full-size page, I am not sure how well it would be. I remember when I was at work and would want to create FB headers with photos shared from my colleague, they were often blurred. I HAD to ask her to send them by email, which annoyed her since FB was so much faster for her!

@Donna SilliaHow did you do that green background? It looks great!

@Corrie KinkelI can almost smell those flowers!

@Emerald Jay Such a great mask to showcase this cutie!

@Carolyn RyeI am glad to hear that you learn something in every lesson. That is the goal of these workshops!

Carole, I made the background in Procreate and imported it as a png. I changed the color of the original to match a project that I am working on in Canva.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lynda DiGregor said:

Thanks Corrie. I wasn't to sure about the name Caspian as we are mostly Italian, little English but I thinks it's just fine now. The Grandfather and Son/Father are Scots but I'm not sure if  they know the name is of English origin. Of Course Scotland and England do share borders.

Lynda the name Caspian is probably of eastern European origin. There is the Caspian Sea surrounded by Russia, Kazachstan, Turkmenistan, Iran and Azerbeidzjan. You maybe could investigate it further.

11 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Lynda the name Caspian is probably of eastern European origin. There is the Caspian Sea surrounded by Russia, Kazachstan, Turkmenistan, Iran and Azerbeidzjan. You maybe could investigate it further.

11 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I  agree with you Corrie, the boy's name Caspian derived from the  Caspian Sea.  Caspian is  derived from the  latinword  Caspii, meaning white.  It's also the name of the  Central Asian people in the Caucasus.    I wonder if CS Lewis named the hero of his children's book Prince Caspian in The Chronicles of Narnia. It is an area of outstanding beauty.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Corrie: Forgive me for changing the subject but I wanted to show you what I found in a Marisa Lerin "For the Love of Cats" bundle that I just purchased. An entire folder of Dutch word art.

dutch.jpg

Marisa isn't Dutch is she?  I think there is a Dutch designer, Melo Vrijhof on the team of pixelscrapper.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lynda DiGregor said:

Lesson 3

My first Great Grandchild. Unfortunately the only photos I have are sent through messenger. The quality pretty much stinks. 

I just copied Carole's setup.

The background was made according to lesson 3.

Mask Workshop 3-Caspian-sm.jpg

Congratulations!

• Like 1

DAY 5

One of my granddaughters really likes this treat. So I took a picture of it.

I wasn't sure exactly how to put this together so did some dots on the image and decided to add a coloured background and punched holes in for it.  Then added the black background behind it.

MASKING 5 600.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 5

4 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Corrie: Forgive me for changing the subject but I wanted to show you what I found in a Marisa Lerin "For the Love of Cats" bundle that I just purchased. An entire folder of Dutch word art.

dutch.jpg

Ann great you were thinking of me and yes I have seen that bundle with the Dutch Word Art. She has a couple of Dutch wordstripes in other kits too but I didn't buy them. However I remember her asking for Dutch words, but that is already maybe 4 years ago. At that time I was just starting here and had my hands full with learning PSP, so I didn't react at that time. In the case I want to make something in Dutch I'll probably make my own, but it was a surprise seeing them.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 2!  I'm just moving right along now.  I might even get done by the end of next week!  Yeesh, what  week to have a heavy workload.  

Continuing on with playing with the PencilSketch2 Script and some old tools left by the previous homeowner when we bought the house (and he was "kind" enough to leave numerous mystery liquids in unrelated containers that we had to take to the hazardous materials dump since we didn't know what any of it was 😨).  But, the tools were cool so I kept them.  the railroad spikes I had already.  I used the Lady 22 template 158 and changed it to fit my photos.  I didn't do the plaid...mostly because I forgot and because it didn't fit with the idea I had, although plaid shirts and tools go together so maybe I should re-think that.  

For the title I used the Letterpress Script (Creation Cassel) and I used the steel version but added a bit of color. 

Background paper is from Sheila Reid VPS Set 01 - paper texture - 06 (Digital Scrapbook) - it's originally blue, I did a negative image then changed the color with HSL.  

I love the PencilSketch2 script, there is a lot you can customize with the layers you get after the script is finished.  You might see a little more color in the smaller photo.  The photo you use is also in the layers palette (a duplicate as your original is not harmed in any way) so I brought it up above the background layers then lowered the opacity so add a little more color.  

Masks WS Day 2 - Tools-1-600.jpg

Susan it is such a great script, I like it too and you make good use of it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MoniqueN. said:

Day 3 and 4 🙂

"Zo gaat de molen" is the title of a Dutch song for children, my granddaughter loves to sing it with me, well I sing, she does the movements (she is 2 years now since thursday🥳) The kaleidoscope I totally forgot it was in PSP, was nice to use it again.

Sometimes it's nice to have a "calm" pages, with not too much things added.

Day 4 is a shipyard form the old days from the Netherlands. It closed in 1947 and rebuilt in the museum in 1948.

Font is Bree serif and I used a brush form the link Carole had in her lesson.

Dag 3-600.jpg

Dag 4-600.jpg

Monique somewhere I have quite similar photos of the museum from years ago when we visited there. I like what yo have done with them, maybe I should have a look what I have, maybe for another workshop.

• Like 1

Lesson 6. The photo was taken yesterday in front of my house.  What a beautiful sunset after getting 5 inches of snow that day.  I did the background and then had a copy of the original photo behind it and lowered the opacity just a little to let a hint of the other one show through.

snow sunset on background w text.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 9

22 hours ago, Lynda DiGregor said:

Lesson 3

My first Great Grandchild. Unfortunately the only photos I have are sent through messenger. The quality pretty much stinks. 

I just copied Carole's setup.

The background was made according to lesson 3.

Mask Workshop 3-Caspian-sm.jpg

Congratulations Lynda ! so cute 🥰

Day 6. Felix is my youngest great-nephew. 

The top ribbon is from Marisa Lerin at Digital Scrapbook. The bottom one was created using the Ribbon Factory script from Cassel. The mask was created with the help of the Paint Slash script, also from Cassel. The font is Retro Real Wavy from Creative Fabrica.

GNL-MaskWorkshop-Day6-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 10

DAY 4
Cluster: Jessica Dunn (digitalscrapbook)
Fonts : Forte and Molly Script
The birds is a free photoshop bruche that I downloaded once, I think on Deviantart
For the paper, I applied 3 large strokes with green, light blue and darker blue on a blue background, using a watercolor brush.

large.mclp_Masks_Worksh_24_02_12_d04_600.jpg.89485f1748a17bce977f998172319400.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 10

Day 6 - The photo is from my daughter in law. I made two backgrounds with different colors. The font is Lovely Valentine and Love Valentine Extruded from Creative Fabrica. I had to go to the blog to figure out how to do layered fonts. I made a picture with the font, the background and the preset shape, merged and copied into the circle mask.

I really need an intervention on fonts since I cannot stop downloading them. Now I am looking for layered fonts because of Carole's explanation of how to use them.🤣

dsdeerinby.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 8

4 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Susan it is such a great script, I like it too and you make good use of it!

Oh man, there is so many ideas running around my head that I couldnt sleep last night.  I've said it before, I really need a 48 hr day...lots of money....and no job to go to! Okay, I added the last two items just for good measure.  I'm about to post again.  I had fun, but did a lot of extractions to get what I want that I think masks would be better for (like what I see in PS tutorials but for some reason I cant wrap my head around translating it to PSP.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Donna Sillia said:

Day 6 - The photo is from my daughter in law. I made two backgrounds with different colors. The font is Lovely Valentine and Love Valentine Extruded from Creative Fabrica. I had to go to the blog to figure out how to do layered fonts. I made a picture with the font, the background and the preset shape, merged and copied into the circle mask.

I really need an intervention on fonts since I cannot stop downloading them. Now I am looking for layered fonts because of Carole's explanation of how to use them.🤣

dsdeerinby.jpg

I think I need to join you in that intervention.  I'm so bad and I have loads I haven't loaded (installed) yet. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1