Vector Workshop 2023

Cassel

Lesson 6 - I loved it. I have played and played with this. I can see myself using this a great deal. I took one of the labels I had made and used it for this lesson. I placed the silver glitter tube around it and then hid the label and added text. Thank you again for a very useful lesson!

Vector Tube.jpg

• Like 10
  • Love 5

For the last 3 weeks I have been glued to The Tour de France (except for when I attended the workshop!) so now the Men's race is over I thought I would make an image for it practicing some of the vector workshop skills.

I used one of Cassel's Picture Tubes trying to represent the polka dot jersey but I was fascinated by the accidental effect I created so left it at that; The background colours show through the transparent bubbles. Coolio!

I think my French here is correct. 

TourDeFrance.jpg

• Like 13
  • Love 6

15 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Dorothy Donn Did you manage to watch the videos in the end? It is quite fun to see you add photos to those cups. That would be a very interesting way to showcase photos. 

@Susan Ewart The Hue Map can be a great tool to get different colors.

@James Brady I am happy that you didn't give up when it was difficult. And yes, I knew that Vectors were challenging for a lot of people since MOST users don't tend to use them, and those who do, often use only the most basic functions. I can think of even more advanced features to explore, but I think this will be enough for a while.

@Anja Pelzer Even an "odd" shape can give a great result. Those pearls look so good with those curves.

@Jnet Allard Quel beau bouquet de marguerites!

@fiona cook As you might have noticed in the lesson, I was "testing" the size of the rope tube. That is exactly because the script will use those last settings.

@Mary Solaas Line Styles have been addressed in the June Q&A. Have a look and you can use the round shape to make the line.

@Linda J Walker I am glad that I was able to scare your PSP into obedience! That is my super-power.

@MoniqueN. On the rainbow, you could also hide the path so it would only keep the colors and no black.

@Michele I hope to see those techniques applied to future projects, even for your gaming group!

@Donna Sillia I am really happy to see so many participants start, but mostly, NOT give up when it was difficult.

@Bobby Yeater That sailboat looks like a handmade craft collage with ropes. When you add some shadow to the rope, it will really pop out.

@Anne Lamp Don't worry. I have added all the lessons to the Workshops section of the DIAMOND members.

@Cristina That fish is so cute!

@Lynda DiGregor So much gold! That was an expensive lesson ?

@Marie-Claire Nice to see Poncho! Can we choose him as our Campus mascot?

@Natalie Spooner You can also turn your logo into a picture tube. 

@Cindy Lawrence The process is the important part of this workshop. The details will be refined later.

@Connie Collier What PSP version are you using? Did you download the Creative Content? It would have additional picture tubes. On the other hand, there are lots in my store (but they are not free), HERE.

@Leslie Gifford Cook You are catching up nicely! Keep it up. You are almost done.

@Anita Wyatt Yes, it is fun to twist those nodes as it creates very interesting effects.

PSP 2021. I did download the Creative Content, in this case your lovely seed bead tube. Thanks so much.

Lesson 5 part 2, text upside down

Text says: I'm upside down. Picture from the internet. I wanted to have the top of the b and d against the green layer, otherwise I would of been inside the circle.

Have to practice this once more!

les 5 text upside down-600.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 3
  • Love 5

Lesson 7:

Thank you so much for this workshop @Cassel Informative and a lot of fun on all the tutorials, and I've learnt a lot. 

This was a little challenging for me, but I got there in the end and will have another go tomorrow.

I ended up giving up on a few that  I was working on as I tried to run before I could walk when I was trying different shapes to use ?

One question, can you use a picture tube or a custom made preset shape and convert to path? I tried but the convert to path was already greyed out, yet there wasn't a path icon showing on the layer. Apologies if I've missed something on the earlier tutorials, and maybe if time allows tomorrow, I'll have a look.

Anyways, here's the one I did do successfully ?

Vector Workshop Lesson 7 - 1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 9

4 minutes ago, Theresa Di Cesare said:

One question, can you use a picture tube or a custom made preset shape and convert to path? I tried but the convert to path was already greyed out, yet there wasn't a path icon showing on the layer. Apologies if I've missed something on the earlier tutorials, and maybe if time allows tomorrow, I'll have a look.

Preset shapes are already paths so that is why it will be greyed out. However, picture tubes are not vectors so that cannot be converted to path.

• Thanks 2

Lesson 7/day 7--

I feel like it has taken me a while to get here to lesson 7! Sometimes I can't follow directions, sometimes PSP doesn't follow directions or just doesn't want to function right, and sometimes it may be all of the above.

I know I have learned many things. I need to make more notes so I can do a few of them again!

I dug around and found more tubes on an old Jasc PaintShop Xtras disc. I think that is where the pink flowers were.

Thank you Carole for a challenging and informative workshop, and the extra help!

7-day_1.jpg

7-day_3.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 10

I'm unfortunately more than a little bit behind. I was sure at the beginning I could participate more regularly but as always the job comes first. I decided to continue anyway. I flew over the pages and just thought WOW again. So many great works, a lot of very interested participants and many new among all.

Now Lesson 2 and 3. 

day2-600.jpg

feuille verte 05.jpg

• Like 11
  • Love 8

38 minutes ago, libera said:

I'm unfortunately more than a little bit behind. I was sure at the beginning I could participate more regularly but as always the job comes first. I decided to continue anyway. I flew over the pages and just thought WOW again. So many great works, a lot of very interested participants and many new among all.

Now Lesson 2 and 3. 

day2-600.jpg

feuille verte 05.jpg

I know what you mean about the job.  Sometimes I wish i was retired, but then that means I'll be that much older.  I still maintain to my friends I'm going to win the lottery...WITHOUT buying a lottery ticket (I dont buy them), then i'll have all the time in the world...I hope. ? Glad to see you carved out some PSP time.  I took the day off today and finally going to choose the RAW editing software I will go with  (Looks like ON1is in the lead - it's the most like Lightroom...but a standalone..and on sale!).

• Like 4
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, fiona cook said:

For the last 3 weeks I have been glued to The Tour de France (except for when I attended the workshop!) so now the Men's race is over I thought I would make an image for it practicing some of the vector workshop skills.

I used one of Cassel's Picture Tubes trying to represent the polka dot jersey but I was fascinated by the accidental effect I created so left it at that; The background colours show through the transparent bubbles. Coolio!

I think my French here is correct. 

TourDeFrance.jpg

Hi Fiona

Oui, votre Français est correctement écrit.

Yes, your French is correctly written.

Edited by mireille
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

And this is the extra for Project 3.  I chose the fish and the colors given.  Whew!  Did make it a shape by grouping the different vector layers and then changing the name of the group layer.

MLS Fish01 Shape.jpg

Hi Mary,
The fish is very nice! I like it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Having finally completed Lesson 7, I just wanted to say thank you again Carole for always encouraging me to step out of my comfort zone. I played around a lot with this lesson and I think I have created MY new dollar sign if ever I own a currency!

I decided to free hand draw my stylized initials. I used a coin picture tube and then filled in the under vector with a pattern that was just on my pallet swatches ( maybe from the coins?)  Played around with bevels, shadows, layers, blend modes, and opacity until I got something I liked.

This workshop was challenging, sometimes frustrating, full of information and tips, and SO MUCH FUN in the end. I will definitely use vectors more often. My classmates are / were inspirational and have a great deal of talent . I loved looking at all of the submitted work. Thank you for having me.

CHEERS  until next time.

Intial Dollars 600.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 9

I went back to the cup and added a saucer today using the cup shape.  (I did not save the cup and saucer as a shape). I added the artistic bubble effect on the cup to give it dimension.  Again used Particle Shop Smoke for the steam, added shadows.  I'm not moving forward yet, even though I'm just on 4.  The fish looks good as an element - the shape will turn out as a silhouette, but I like it as an element. May have a go at the dinosaurs later today and then move on to Project 5.  I'm slow - but there is so much to learn!    Oh, the saucer I made using 3 ellipse shapes one for the top, one for the recess where the cup sits (just an outline here) and one for the bottom part.

MLS Cup and Saucer_600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 7

10 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

I went back to the cup and added a saucer today using the cup shape.  (I did not save the cup and saucer as a shape). I added the artistic bubble effect on the cup to give it dimension.  Again used Particle Shop Smoke for the steam, added shadows.  I'm not moving forward yet, even though I'm just on 4.  The fish looks good as an element - the shape will turn out as a silhouette, but I like it as an element. May have a go at the dinosaurs later today and then move on to Project 5.  I'm slow - but there is so much to learn!    Oh, the saucer I made using 3 ellipse shapes one for the top, one for the recess where the cup sits (just an outline here) and one for the bottom part.

MLS Cup and Saucer_600.jpg

That's really cool.  I like the shadowing on the cup/saucer too.  I think I need to schedule in time regularly for Vector practice/play.  This will also help me going forward with the LABS because they have Vector Tuts in them too.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

On 7/25/2023 at 10:33 AM, Cristina said:

It would be nice in the future to have an Advanced Vector Workshop. ?

Cristina I too would welcome such an Advanced Vector Workshop, as I feel that I'm starting to master those nodes now! So after some time, maybe next year, it will be great to take those vectors a step further. It means a lot of work for Carole though to prepare another Workshop. We can hope, can't we ?

• Like 5
  • Love 1