Vector Workshop 2024

Cassel

17 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

You said it so well about the change in MODE! I have to always remind myself: am I on the right layer? Is the mode in edit? Do I have the pen tool selected? These vectors are demanding.

These are good reminders, I wrote them down.  thank you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lesson 5 - The sun element came from an old scrapbook kit I made years ago called Keeping Cool.  The saying is by Walt Whitman.

This lesson was easy for me since I've used text on a path numerous times in the past.  And in this case reverse path did make sense to me.

VWemjay_sunshine01.jpg

VWemjay_sunshine02.jpg

Edited by Emerald Jay
  • Like 2
  • Love 11

2 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

I suppose it's human nature to see the grass as greener on the other side! But I have not been a fan of excessive heat & humidity for many years. Canadians talk about weather more than any other topic.

Well you must have that from the Dutch because over here the weather is always and everywhere the topic of a conversation!

• Like 2

Lesson 3

I thought everything was going great.  Somehow my anti alias got unchecked.  I wondered why things were so jaggy despite not being that zoomed in.  Ah, the newbie in me rearing it's mistake-ridden head again.  I will post what I did so far because I'm out of time now.  I did the camera parts as different objects that I WAS going save as a preset shape.  I liked the camera (from the summer collection download) so I will do it again, I can sure use the extra practice since I see some mistakes I want to fix.  I also showed the outline on the camera so you could see the parts.  I need to go bang my head against the wall and repeat:  Anti Alias ALWAYS checked.  If I had a blackboard I'd write lines too! 😩

Vector WS Lesson 3 Camera forgot anti alias .jpg

Vector WS Lesson 3 Camera forgot anti alias-color .jpg

Vector WS Lesson 3 -leaf.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • WOW 1
  • Love 6

21 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Lesson 3

I thought everything was going great.  Somehow my anti alias got unchecked.  I wondered why things were so jaggy despite not being that zoomed in.  Ah, the newbie in me rearing it's mistake-ridden head again. 😩

Oh thank you very much, you are not alone with the anti alias, reading your post I checked my program

The lines look much better now

once again thanks....Trevor

• Like 3
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Jeni Simpson Glad that you are learning. Vectors will be less intimidating with practice.

@Michele Take care of yourself. The lessons will wait!

@Cristina Those multiple checks will become second nature. How are you getting an outline through both sides of the mug? If you make a cutout, it should not show a line through the handle.

@Trevor Andrew Yes, it requires practice to switch like that quickly. Over time, you will do it automatically, without getting frustrated. And yes, the forum only takes jpg images 🙂

@Jnet Allard That is a good start! you are really doing good.

@Ann Seeber You are catching up well!

@Gerry Landreth Great practice. I like that leave that you outlined from a photo!

@Cindy Sheets You will get there. It will get easier and easier with practice.

@Louyse Toupin Great work. Was it getting easier?

@Bonnie Borntrager You are getting the hang of it!

@Donna Sillia Yes!! It looks great for that re-try!

@Jen Brown There are all kinds of "wonky hearts" and many of them are available as fonts. Why not as preset shapes?

@Alicia Garbelman It is great that you are persevering!

@Corrie Kinkel Great work. Those little holes on the eggs are fine the way they are! As you say, you can always tweak them if needed.

@Anja Pelzer That is a really cool composition!

@middie Your shape did survive the kiln here! 🙂 Do you know that there is a way to "simulate" some of the layer styles? Using the Sculpture effect (yeah, not the most obvious).

@Emerald Jay That is good. Do you still have to read the steps one by one to do the cutout?

Keep it up. You are all doing great. I hope you are getting more comfortable with the vectors and the nodes now.

I tried that "sculpture" effect a couple of times but it never seems to give me what I want. It is great for some things (especially grungy stuff) but not for delicate brocade or lace effects.  So, when in doubt, buy or borrow from people who are far better than I am at this stuff. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Lesson 3

I thought everything was going great.  Somehow my anti alias got unchecked.  I wondered why things were so jaggy despite not being that zoomed in.  Ah, the newbie in me rearing it's mistake-ridden head again.  I will post what I did so far because I'm out of time now.  I did the camera parts as different objects that I WAS going save as a preset shape.  I liked the camera (from the summer collection download) so I will do it again, I can sure use the extra practice since I see some mistakes I want to fix.  I also showed the outline on the camera so you could see the parts.  I need to go bang my head against the wall and repeat:  Anti Alias ALWAYS checked.  If I had a blackboard I'd write lines too! 😩

Vector WS Lesson 3 Camera forgot anti alias-color .jpg

Vector WS Lesson 3 -leaf.jpg

Don't bang your head against a wall as it achieves nothing. Eat choclate or shortbraed instead - calories are calming..... vey calming..... as I munch away during this lesson.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Day 5:

Mountain photo: Massimiliano Morosinotto (Unsplash) with a quote from novelist Mark Obmascik.

Rainbow Roses: Denise Chan (Unsplash) with a quote from American poet Lucy Larcom (March 5, 1824 – April 17, 1893).

The quote in the mountain photo is: "I like the mountains because they make me feel small. They help me sort out what's important in life."

GNL-Day5-Path01-600.jpg

GNL-Day5-Path02-600.jpg

Edited by Gerry Landreth
  • Like 2
  • WOW 1
  • Love 9

On 6/20/2024 at 10:52 AM, Susan Ewart said:

oooh, I love that word "mephisitophelian".  I also think Titivillus, the patron saint of mistakes (Actually of scribes: that's who we blamed for calligraphy mistakes when I was learning calligraphy) is another culprit to our taming of the modes.. Here's the google interpretation of the dastardly demon:   Titivillus is a demon said to introduce errors into the work of scribes. 

I found this on Etsy while researching my new favorite demon. I couldn't resist ordering one for my office. 

il_794xN.1833420869_algs.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Love 5

Getting better.... only took 3 tries to get these assignments done. the first is enclosed.... sending second one separately as I am not sure if the two together will create issues. This one doesn't fare well in a small size but it is gorgeous as a wallpaper. Couldn't resist adding the frame.

vector5a sharon.jpg

• Love 8

2 hours ago, middie said:

Don't bang your head against a wall as it achieves nothing. Eat choclate or shortbraed instead - calories are calming..... vey calming..... as I munch away during this lesson.

Agreed, eating your feelings is very calming! (BTW, I LOVE shortbread)

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Gerry Landreth said:

I found this on Etsy while researching my new favorite demon. I couldn't resist ordering one for my office. 

il_794xN.1833420869_algs.jpg

I love this!  You think spelling something wrong in a layout...try hand lettering a quote and seeing a typo at the end...especially if you got all the spacing correct and the lines straight.  There is no undo only a do-over.

• Love 4

22 minutes ago, middie said:

Getting better.... only took 3 tries to get these assignments done. the first is enclosed.... sending second one separately as I am not sure if the two together will create issues. This one doesn't fare well in a small size but it is gorgeous as a wallpaper. Couldn't resist adding the frame.

vector5a sharon.jpg

I love this.  My best friend (since I was 12 yrs old) has just moved to Scotland (Nairn on the Moray Coast ).  What a beautiful country.  My dad's side of the family hails from Scotland too.

• Like 3

I'm not doing a whole lot with the lessons because we have a very, very welcome visitor whom we are entertaining.

The pattern on the cup is my own, the drips and chocolate are from FF and the whipped cream is from the cass frosting script with the warp tool applied. Candy cane is from Canva.

dscupwhotchocolate.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 6

With this 5th lesson the fun is starting, at least for me. I use text on a path regularly on all kinds of projects, so no problems here. For this assignment I used a photo from a friend which I have for a long time, but never used it. I vividly remember the very first time I tried to make a postmark in the first Travel Challenge I participated in when I was a newbie to scrapbooking and the Campus. It took me for ages and I didn't understand what I was doing! Now I use postmarks very often for a date or a place and this time I played a bit with my postmark, made it in color with 2 little flowers left and right and a photo in the middle. As it is suppoost to be a postmark I used a distressed brush to give it some grunginess. 

A misty morning-600.jpg

Yosemite-postmark.jpg

• Love 9

I am lost in lesson 5. I work in x8 and I cannot find how to get the text in the right place on the bottom of my circle. I cannot find a 'more options' button to alter the offset. Does anyone know where this might be in x8?
Jeni

• Like 1

Lesson 2. Make a label from more than one preset shape.  I loved the snowman that was shown earlier.  So - I decided on a whim to try and make Mickey Mouse. Well this is what I came up with. Since I had made labels before (but not grouping them with different names and as one pspimage) I just decided to show some of them.

MLS MickeyMouseShape.jpg

MLS different labels.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 6

36 minutes ago, Jeni Simpson said:

I am lost in lesson 5. I work in x8 and I cannot find how to get the text in the right place on the bottom of my circle. I cannot find a 'more options' button to alter the offset. Does anyone know where this might be in x8?

In X8, the settings are not grouped in the "More options", but they are in plain sight in the toolbar.

TextToolOptions2.jpg

And if you don't see them, check if there might be an arrow on the far right or faint vertical lines that might indicate that those settings are "collapsed".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cassel said:

In X8, the settings are not grouped in the "More options", but they are in plain sight in the toolbar.

TextToolOptions.jpg

And if you don't see them, check if there might be an arrow on the far right or faint vertical lines that might indicate that those settings are "collapsed".

Thank you, Carole, I had spent quite a lot of time searching for the offset, and now, thanks to you, I have it.
Sean-Poppy-Ruby.jpg.e752ad6ef65d621818ee30407c3772e8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Day 5 part 2
I found a photograph I took in the early evening from a road up in the hills near where I live. 
I love this time of day, and have a few pix taken at a similar time.
Quote is by Sophocles.
Jeni
jeni-sophocles-quote-600.jpg.057ab19612d7f353a9045f08502a2dba.jpg

Edited by Jeni Simpson
centred text and image
  • Love 8

@Jeni Simpson I am glad for you that you had the time to follow the workshop this year! Where were the settings in the end? Were they collapse on the side? I am glad you have all the settings now to complete the projects and the results are worth it!

@Emerald Jay The reversing of the path for a cutout might not make sense at first, but if you think about it, the inside of the shape can be FILLED, but thinking in the "reverse" of it, it would be EMPTY. So, associating the REVERSE behavior then makes more sense 🙂 Sometimes, you just have to find some ways to remember steps. Yoru sun and text on path look great.

@Daniel Hess I don't understand why your PSP would freeze when exporting a preset shape, wherever the folder is. That is a strange behavior. However, I remember that if I point my PSP to different folders, especially after I added some, it tends to check them all in case of duplicates, and that takes a long time (really long time). Could that have been the issue? And since you removed a folder and it stopped, ... You are doing great so far!

@Jnet Allard Nice cup with those diamonds.

@MoniqueN. Of course there will be more workshops. Sometimes, life happens and PSP just waits.

@Corrie Kinkel In Canada, weather is so often the topic of the day. You might have noticed it in the Campus newsletter too! 😉 You have learned (and remembered) so much in those years since you started.

@Susan Ewart I don't know why the Anti-Alias gets unchecked either, but I notice it too. But if you have a path that is jaggied, do you know that you can recover the Anti-alias without having to redraw the lines? Activate the object in question and go to Selection > Modify > Recover Anti-Alias. 

@Bonnie Borntrager I love that little girl with the text around her. You did a good job!

@Gerry Landreth Your projects for Lesson 5 are delightful!

@middie I sense that you are having fun with those vectors now! I LOVE that vintage quote!

@Donna Sillia Getting ready for the Holidays already? Why not! Fun mug!

@Mary Solaas Mickey is a great character to practice!

Tomorrow, we will go through a totally new way to use vectors and that will open up so many options for you. Stay tuned!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1