Greeting Card Workshop - 2024

Cassel

Day 4 The image is an AI image from a paid Cyperlink program call "My Edit." I made a vector oval and cut the image to fit the oval. I made the background with preset hearts and cass sparkle script and a lot of blending. The font is Love Heart from CF. The bee is a dingbat font call Bee Cute, and the bow and arrows are from a Valentine dingbat font also from CF.

dsvalentine.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 11

Posted (edited)

The script is Samantha Upright. The blocks were created using the Baby Alpha Block script by Cassel. The ribbon was also created with a script by Cassel, Glitters-C.

I've added one for a boy. That way, I'm covered. With two great-nieces and one great-nephew added to the brood, I can't leave anyone out.

GNL-GreetingCard-05-600.jpg

GNL-GreetingCard-05-BOY-600.jpg

Edited by Gerry Landreth
  • Love 14

Posted (edited)

Playing catchup, here's my number 1, I did several different versions of this for all the sizes of card blanks I have. This is the one I decided to share. I am making christmas cards for next year featuring my own christmas photos, hopefully it will stir family members memories as it stirs mine. This one I am showing I took the ribbon out and replaced it with the text

CardWorkshop-Card1-5-75x8-25_600.jpg.2c7aa1076e51a7a6f65b9b72c8caf863.jpg

Edited by Harmony Birch
picture landed in strange place in post
  • Like 3
  • Love 9

I promoted a strip from the photo to create the ribbon. Added dots, to replicate the  Upper  Sandpiper's chest, used my grosgrain ribbon  template, overlay.  Instead of using a mask, I  feathered around the Sanderling.  Again, all colours were taken from the  photos. 

Day 5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 14

55 minutes ago, Gerry Landreth said:

The script is Samantha Upright. The blocks were created using the Baby Alpha Block script by Cassel. The ribbon was also created with a script by Cassel, Glitters-C.

GNL-GreetingCard-05-600.jpg

Awesome!  Same template layout, yet our pages couldn't be  more varied. 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Jeni Simpson Although I am usually picky about shadowing, in cards, it can be fine to not have any, and your card illustrates this very well. On the other hand, the shadow on the four squares creates the illusion of a window and it is very appropriate. And by the way, even though you get two templates per day, you don't HAVE to make them both if you have less time!

@fiona cook Yes, it is a matter of consistency. In card making, we can create something that does not have 3D effects, just like graphics, but if we want to add some, it has to be consistently used. For the Materials palette, maybe you need to use the Classic Materials Properties, available under File > Preferences > General Program Preferences > Palette

@kasany You will definitely be ready for the holidays!

@Michele Go for it: use shortcuts! You deserve to rest when you can!

@Wendy Sanders Those images are so cute. They are lovely with a "get well soon card"!

@Minka Glasier Very colorful and cheerful despite a more serious topic.

@Ann Seeber I don't know if you did it on purpose but the first thing that caught my eye was the font and the fact that it looks like a cutout, a very intricate cutout!

@Donna Sillia That is a great way to use extracted elements from your own photos.

@Sheila Hogg I am glad the technique works for you. Something else for your "toolbox".

@Sue Thomas If there are any "real" events in your neighbourhood, you should show them your cards. They might borrow your expertise to create some real invitations!

@Corrie Kinkel That is such a delicate composition!

@Gerry Landreth I love that quote! That will surely be a great card to receive!

@Dee347 CF is getting great publicity with all the cute images used from them!

@carol Woudema What a great idea to have a card for a pet adoption event!

@Sharla That is such an interesting way to use those images for gardening!

@Randy Custom selection is a great tool and has so many uses!

@Anne Lamp Always be careful when adding a black shadow on black text. If it is too intense, it affects the legibility of the text. If you want to add a shadow, make it lighter than you would on other paper elements for example. It is because the text has so many curves and corners.

@Louyse Toupin I think that either you missed some shadows, or forgot to remove one. With or without shadows is fine, but you have to be consistent for all four.

@Julie Magerka That card makes me smile. A different way to invite a valentine!

I am blown away by all the different results we can see while starting with the same templates and the same tutorials. Keep it up. Maybe we'll need to open a boutique! 😉

Thank you Carole. I can see the Classic Materials Properties for the Materials Palette looks like the set up you tend to use. I will give it a go.

• Like 2

So here goes with my number 2 I did something different, filling the areas on the template with promoted selections from the card, which I used inner belvel and drop shadow on. I then put a show all mask over the main layer and with the airbrish and one of the watercolour brushes I have sprayed some black in areas under the elements which reduced the visibility of the main picture making the promoted elements stand out more. I didn't feel like it needed any words

CardWorkshop-Card2_600.jpg.9fa8a686721bcac9c69f385b27028699.jpg

• Like 4
  • WOW 1
  • Love 6

15 minutes ago, Harmony Birch said:

So here goes with my number 2 I did something different, filling the areas on the template with promoted selections from the card, which I used inner belvel and drop shadow on. I then put a show all mask over the main layer and with the airbrish and one of the watercolour brushes I have sprayed some black in areas under the elements which reduced the visibility of the main picture making the promoted elements stand out more. I didn't feel like it needed any words

CardWorkshop-Card2_600.jpg.9fa8a686721bcac9c69f385b27028699.jpg

That is one way to do it. Which looks lovely. May I suggest a quicker easier way for you to try?  Place a  white, or  colour of your choosing (lightish) below the main the photo, and lower the opacity of the main photo.  You could even  add a  very small blur to the  main photo.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, carol Woudema said:

CardWorkshop-Card5.jpg

I actually like the muted look of this.  Just because it doesn't show up well in the reduced size, if you like the way it looks full size, I wouldn't change it.

Card5-Extra

This time I wanted to create a card for my family because they told me they would go camping this summer. I have no camping related photos but I found this clipart on clean png. Papers and ribbon are from Marisal-sweet moments; the papers have a slight texture but that is almost invisible in this reduced version. The letters H and C are made with cass-Stacked Alpha script and use Arial just as the rest of the text. The greenery is from my stash and all the colors are chosen from the clipart. I'm going to email this card therefore it isn't a problem that is a square card, for printing I wouldn't use it because that doesn't go well with my printer and A-4 paper.

Card5-Extra2024-600.jpg

• Love 14

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

I promoted a strip from the photo to create the ribbon. Added dots, to replicate the  Upper  Sandpiper's chest, used my grosgrain ribbon  template, overlay.  Instead of using a mask, I  feathered around the Sanderling.  Again, all colours were taken from the  photos. 

Day 5.jpg

Now I"m packing since I won such a wonderful trip!!!!!

Edited by Julie Magerka
  • Haha 7

Lesson 5 - I kept it simple and took a pass on the the stork and its layers and shadows. I have done a couple of baby announcement layouts in the last couple of months.  It's a fictional  announcement but the type I and my friends might make about saving rescue dogs. I have three of them already, which keeps me busy (and broke 😛).

Cute dog from Pixabay. Ribbon from M. Lerin at DS. Pawprints from a brush.

SBC Greeting Card Lesson 5_600.jpg

• Love 15

6 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Very beautiful photos.  I love to see birds from other parts of the world.  The Magpies here are quite different.  How luck to Cockatoos in the wild, I cant even imagine how cool that would be to see.

I was thinking that too about the Cockatoos!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

Lesson 5 - I kept it simple and took a pass on the the stork and its layers and shadows. I have done a couple of baby announcement layouts in the last couple of months.  It's a fictional  announcement but the type I and my friends might make about saving rescue dogs. I have three of them already, which keeps me busy (and broke 😛).

Cute dog from Pixabay. Ribbon from M. Lerin at DS. Pawprints from a brush.

SBC Greeting Card Lesson 5_600.jpg

There isn't anything to say, other than 'what an exquisite layout. You have surpassed yourself'

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 3
  • WOW 1

2 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

There isn't anything else to say, other than 'what an exquisite layout. You have surpassed yourself'

I can add only one emoji to your comment, so I have to say thank you here. That means so much to me.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Very beautiful photos.  I love to see birds from other parts of the world.  The Magpies here are quite different.  How luck to Cockatoos in the wild, I cant even imagine how cool that would be to see.

Susan, thank you so much. Years ago, when living in Australia, I saw a tree in the distance. It looked like a white magnolia, and the closer I got, the flowers seemed to be less. The tree was full of cockatoos, and they were flying away from that tree! That was the first time I saw cockatoos in the wild. Billy isn't allowed outside and, instead, he flies around the house.
Jeni

• WOW 2
  • Love 1

My number 5. I used a line art image from CF and coloured it in. I used some ribbon elements I have made some other time and recoloured to fit. I used some dotty texture at different sizes. The font from CF is called Christmas Love. TFL.

CardWorkshop-Card5-Resize-SGH-25-05-2024.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 14

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Julie Magerka said:

I can add only one emoji to your comment, so I have to say thank you here. That means so much to me.

My pleasure,  a well deserved comment.

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sheila Hogg said:

My number 5. I used a line art image from CF and coloured it in. I used some ribbon elements I have made some other time and recoloured to fit. I used some dotty texture at different sizes. The font from CF is called Christmas Love. TFL.

CardWorkshop-Card5-Resize-SGH-25-05-2024.jpg

I love the dots on the background papers.  I thought you had  created  what looks like embosed dots. Great efffect however your created them.

• Like 4