Greeting Card Workshop - 2024

Cassel

Posted (edited)

Lesson 4 - Followed the instructions and layout pretty closely. Used a border around the "ribbon of hearts" so I didn't have to delete any (lazy).

Love hedgehogs so that was my choice for the clipart.

SBC Greeting Card Lesson 4_600.jpg

Edited by Julie Magerka
  • Like 3
  • Love 13

Posted (edited)

Just gotta say...so many delightful and creative interpretations posted in this thread. It's hard to keep up, but it's worth finding so many great ideas!

Those "newbies" are doing such a fabulous job. Congrats to all of them.

Edited by Julie Magerka
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Michele said:

Not necessarily satisfied with this, but my arm has given out; not easy to do with a pinched nerve. 😄 I took the pic of my neighbor's flowering bush (tree?) a long time ago. I put several of Cassel's scripts to work: brad factory, ribbon factory, and bow 11. 

large.CardWorkshop2024Day1600.jpg.e09d002ad8eab2d741db9c46eadec25b.jpg

Oh, Michele! Pinched nerve is no fun! Heal quickly. We need to see your creativity.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

@Jeni Simpson Although I am usually picky about shadowing, in cards, it can be fine to not have any, and your card illustrates this very well. On the other hand, the shadow on the four squares creates the illusion of a window and it is very appropriate. And by the way, even though you get two templates per day, you don't HAVE to make them both if you have less time!

@fiona cook Yes, it is a matter of consistency. In card making, we can create something that does not have 3D effects, just like graphics, but if we want to add some, it has to be consistently used. For the Materials palette, maybe you need to use the Classic Materials Properties, available under File > Preferences > General Program Preferences > Palette

@kasany You will definitely be ready for the holidays!

@Michele Go for it: use shortcuts! You deserve to rest when you can!

@Wendy Sanders Those images are so cute. They are lovely with a "get well soon card"!

@Minka Glasier Very colorful and cheerful despite a more serious topic.

@Ann Seeber I don't know if you did it on purpose but the first thing that caught my eye was the font and the fact that it looks like a cutout, a very intricate cutout!

@Donna Sillia That is a great way to use extracted elements from your own photos.

@Sheila Hogg I am glad the technique works for you. Something else for your "toolbox".

@Sue Thomas If there are any "real" events in your neighbourhood, you should show them your cards. They might borrow your expertise to create some real invitations!

@Corrie Kinkel That is such a delicate composition!

@Gerry Landreth I love that quote! That will surely be a great card to receive!

@Dee347 CF is getting great publicity with all the cute images used from them!

@carol Woudema What a great idea to have a card for a pet adoption event!

@Sharla That is such an interesting way to use those images for gardening!

@Randy Custom selection is a great tool and has so many uses!

@Anne Lamp Always be careful when adding a black shadow on black text. If it is too intense, it affects the legibility of the text. If you want to add a shadow, make it lighter than you would on other paper elements for example. It is because the text has so many curves and corners.

@Louyse Toupin I think that either you missed some shadows, or forgot to remove one. With or without shadows is fine, but you have to be consistent for all four.

@Julie Magerka That card makes me smile. A different way to invite a valentine!

I am blown away by all the different results we can see while starting with the same templates and the same tutorials. Keep it up. Maybe we'll need to open a boutique! 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

@Jeni Simpson Although I am usually picky about shadowing, in cards, it can be fine to not have any, and your card illustrates this very well. On the other hand, the shadow on the four squares creates the illusion of a window and it is very appropriate. And by the way, even though you get two templates per day, you don't HAVE to make them both if you have less time!

I am blown away by all the different results we can see while starting with the same templates and the same tutorials. Keep it up. Maybe we'll need to open a boutique! 😉

Thank you, Carole. With the card with the four squares, I used 3D Effects > Cutout with the idea a window could be cut out of the card and a photograph placed behind.
Doing the two templates per day, gives me the opportunity to play a bit more, and to try to think creatively on two templates not just one. 

I, too, am blown away at the ideas and the creativity of this group.  Thanks everyone.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

lesson4_sweetSnugles.jpg.b997d3a7ebb36b72c54c8496827ac100.jpg

I think I must be doing something wrong here...I'm not really sure about where to put my post...should it be where it says "Quote" or is that only to reply to the previous message?   Anyway here is my Lesson 4 - I used a Kay Miller scrapkit called Sweet Snuggles.

image.jpeg.c1adeaefddabeb52bd6380084b90131a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 15

14 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Day 4.  The invitation cards are all fictitious.  Although I do live a 20 minute drive from Gardiner Dam, where there is always an abundance of birds of all kind.   American White Pelicans at Gardiner dam, on the South Saskatchewan river side of the dam. The other side of the dam is Lake Diefenbaker.   This card shows my attemp at being witty.🙃

Day 4.jpg

Fictitious invitations? Now I have to cancel my flight.

• Haha 8

This came in handy today for my dear friend Lorraine's birthday! I forgot to mention that the font is Zooky Squash which I got from FontBundles years ago during one of their $1 sales. It came with seven versions including alternates, swashes, and ornaments. I think I got my money's worth. 😄

large.HappyBirthdayLorraine2024600.jpg.7aef1c9ff9893978f7d419b58ad3cc6c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 15

Card3-Extra2024-birds-800x571-jeni.jpg.41822f7643b68634aa83ce9868f65dd4.jpg

I enjoy capturing birds, especially when I get them up close.
Maggie, the magpie, on the right was busy singing Happy Birthday when I sneaked up and took this pic.
The middle bird is a pāpango, or Scaup, a diving duck, and is native to New Zealand.
Billy, on the left, is an Australian, a Cockatoo, he loves roaming free, and befriending people.
I chose to colour the font, Garamond, in shades of orange, the opposite colour on the colour wheel from green.
I made the polka dot papers and the feathers came from an exchange in my one of my graphics groups.
Jeni

• Like 2
  • Love 13

1 hour ago, Jeni Simpson said:

Maggie, the magpie, on the right was busy singing Happy Birthday when I sneaked up and took this pic.
The middle bird is a pāpango, or Scaup, a diving duck, and is native to New Zealand.
Billy, on the left, is an Australian, a Cockatoo, he loves roaming free, and befriending people.
I chose to colour the font, Garamond, in shades of orange, the opposite colour on the colour wheel from green.
I made the polka dot papers and the feathers came from an exchange in my one of my graphics groups.
Jeni

So many lovely details to look at. Not a usual combo of colours but it works so well here. Those feathers are just the right touch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Michele said:

Fictitious invitations? Now I have to cancel my flight.

Oh no!!! Don't do that!!!  Come, and I will be your birding guide, taking you to places that not even the locals have been too, even a day on the water in a kayak, and  in the saddle  Thinking about you, hope you make a speedy recovery.  Sending cwtches!  ( cuddles, hugs, embrace, it also have another meaning, cubbyhole, cupboard.

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Haha 2
  • Love 4

Posted (edited)

Thank you Carole,  birding outings are usually organized   in and around  the cities, using local parks.  Regina is a 3hr drive, Moose Jaw 2 1/2hr and Saskatoon is a 2hr drive. When I trail ride, I like to have as many hours in the saddle as it does to get to the venue and back, to make it worth while.   I have been on a couple, these days I don't do well around crowds of people.  I enjoy my own company, along with seeing and hearing a lot more when I'm on my own with  the camera. Chaplin  conservation centre is the closest, at an hour and half away. 

I should have mentioned that I used a bird (dingbat font) silhouette for the flock, by waving the layer, it almost replicates how the Pelicans  are flying in  the photo. 

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 5

I am days behind but enjoyed putting this together. I see today it's not 'unique', but good to know I'm not so far out there with the idea :-0

I can't wait to get some time to go through all the posts and see what everyone has come up with. I've seen a lot of inspiring ideas in the short time I've had to check them out.

HangInThere Squirrels rs25.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 12

Card 5. My male friend is retiring so my card isn't too 'pretty, pretty'. The photo is one I took in an Illusions Museum of a kaleidoscope pattern. The border is a wave pattern fill. Effect on the paper is Fine Leather. Font: Evelyne. I've used a shadow on the text in white instead of black just to lift it from the background but I am taking a gamble with the effect.

Card5.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 10

20 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Day 4.  The invitation cards are all fictitious.  Although I do live a 20 minute drive from Gardiner Dam, where there is always an abundance of birds of all kind.   American White Pelicans at Gardiner dam, on the South Saskatchewan river side of the dam. The other side of the dam is Lake Diefenbaker.   This card shows my attemp at being witty.🙃

Day 4.jpg

Cool!  Even your text on a path has movement; like that of flapping wings (up, down, up down)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, Jeni Simpson said:

Jeni

Very beautiful photos.  I love to see birds from other parts of the world.  The Magpies here are quite different.  How luck to Cockatoos in the wild, I cant even imagine how cool that would be to see.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Peggy Dyar said:

I am days behind but enjoyed putting this together. I see today it's not 'unique', but good to know I'm not so far out there with the idea :-0

I can't wait to get some time to go through all the posts and see what everyone has come up with. I've seen a lot of inspiring ideas in the short time I've had to check them out.

HangInThere Squirrels rs25.jpg

Perfect graphics for this Peggy and this card would put a smile on the recipients face for sure (something they probably need at that moment).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

28 minutes ago, Peggy Dyar said:

@kasany - I Love the teddy bear card. What font did you use? That is so unique!! Love it

Peggy,, glad you love my/our Teddy Bear:) I used free font HEATLAND REGULAR. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Cool!  Even your text on a path has movement; like that of flapping wings (up, down, up down)

Thank you!  Actually I didn't use text on a path.  I used effects,  distortion, wave.  I used the same on the  flock of birds silhouettes, which was  a  dingbat font. 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Thank you!  Actually I didn't use text on a path.  I used effects,  distortion, wave.  I used the same on the  flock of birds silhouettes, which was  a  dingbat font. 

Thanks, I wouldn't have thought to do that.  Great idea.

• Like 5