Magazine Workshop 2023

Cassel

4 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Here's my Back Page for Debra Lennox Art. I mirrored the Front Page mainly by sliding the parts of the photo group over and moving the double frames. I used the same gradient as the cover. I'm still using the same font: Agency. I have this watercolor on my bedroom wall but had to position it so you see it as you walk down the hallway as it is quite large @ 32" h. x 40" w. with matting and frame. Deb has 2 children, both married, and there are 2 grandchildren, Magic and Raja. 

I meant to also post the thumbnails of all 8 pages. I've added it now.

MAGAZINE-DEBRA LENNOX ART-PG 8-BACK_600.jpg

magazine thumbnails .jpg

WOW!  Ann, this is really beautiful.  What a diverse artist Debra is.  And an architect, she must have beautiful penmanship as well.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Here is the last one. Yes, I could have done a better job on lining up and centering the masks but I just wanted to get it done. Some time in the future I will tweak these layouts to fit my style since magazine is not it! But for now I have a lot to do this week before surgery a week from Monday.

2019 Balloon G-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 10

Day 7, side 1 and side 2. I made a couple of minor changes to the first side to correspond with the new design.  I enjoyed this workshop, I have learnt a lot about those dreaded masks that have tortured me for all this time. Thanks Carole for your kind remarks on my pages.

DAY 7 SIDE 1.jpg 600.jpg

day 7 SIDE 2 600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 10

1 hour ago, Shirley said:

Day 7, side 1 and side 2. I made a couple of minor changes to the first side to correspond with the new design.  I enjoyed this workshop, I have learnt a lot about those dreaded masks that have tortured me for all this time. Thanks Carole for your kind remarks on my pages.

DAY 7 SIDE 1.jpg 600.jpg

day 7 SIDE 2 600.jpg

it has been such a pleasure to see your art.  Your layouts are so consistant and the project as a whole is beautiful and cohesive.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Day 6  

Thank you to Sue and Rene for giving me some ideas using the blending modes.  I used a white layer above the paper layer (Brook Gazarek, DigitalScrapbook.com) and used a blend mode (I forget right now, sorry) and then reduced the opacity a bit so I could control how much of the layer below showed through.  The red kodak word is a bit overpowering (as Red tends to do) but is the color kodak uses - perhaps I should have desaturated it a bit.  The yellow frame is the other Kodak color.  On to Day 7.  I think it will be one page though.  I didnt photograph enough cameras and the night is coming to a close.  

For practice, I did do the lesson where we made it one mask.  here I used all 4 as it was better suited for this layout.  I'll try and get these posted on FB in the next week as I finish them all.  I see blurry Kodak and Cover Story, but they are arent blurry in the full sized image.  

Magazine WS Day 6 - 3A Folding Brownie-600.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Love 11

Day 7

Working more with blend modes with the same background paper.  I might see if I can use that paper throughout.  In the coming week(s).  Work is still needed on this one (and most of the rest) but I wanted to get it up tonight.  Tomorrow, back to my scripting homework and work on these layouts in between.

Thank you for a wonderful workshop.  I learned a lot about manipulating masks and really liked Day 7 mask technique.  

Magazine WS Day 7 Next Issue-600.jpg

• Love 10

2 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

it has been such a pleasure to see your art.  Your layouts are so consistant and the project as a whole is beautiful and cohesive.

Thank you Susan. You have done a great job with your cameras, I can relate to some of those older ones.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

18 minutes ago, Shirley said:

Thank you Susan. You have done a great job with your cameras, I can relate to some of those older ones.

Me too!  Some came from my Grandfather and some I've collected.  I was shocked to see the vintage (yikes, that's my era) SLR's are gaining in value.  I used be able to get 70's or 80's SLRs at thrift stores for less than $15, now some are in the hundreds.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I posted the wrong day 1 side one, with the changes.  Background to grey and  large  frame.

hank you Susan. You have done a great job with your cameras, I can relate to some of those older ones.

day 7 SIDE 1.jpg 600 A.jpg

• Love 3

13 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

WOW!  Ann, this is really beautiful.  What a diverse artist Debra is.  And an architect, she must have beautiful penmanship as well.  

Yes, she literally writes by hand in Copperplate Gothic. They had an entire course on it in college. She has lots more pieces on display on her website here if you'd care to explore. 

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Michele said:

Day 3 ~ This is one of Hayden Williams' Vogue covers. Of course, I removed the "Vogue" title and did my own.

large.Day30202600.jpg.86480c99e39ed7e5e1342ab7eb4f1af5.jpg

I'm loving your magazine, Michele!   As I mentioned before, I don't know how you find these great illustrations having so little time to work.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

18 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Playing around last night.  I used the book cover mock up template from the blog.  The spiral binding really isn't suitable for a magazine.  I created my own ad for my magazine. 

Yes Carole, I  featured everything stated on the front cover, at the time of creating the cover I added features on a whim, which  I did manage to carry  to fruition. A nice touch I thought to finish the  workshop with.  Another successful workshop, thank you.

Book cover mockup magazinea.jpg

Magazine  on sale now ad (3).jpg

Beautiful work, Sue, as always!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Shirley said:

DAY 7 SIDE 1.jpg 600.jpg

day 7 SIDE 2 600.jpg

I agree with Susan, and I learned a lot about this art that I didn't know before. Great work, Shirley!

• Love 2

7 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 6  

Thank you to Sue and Rene for giving me some ideas using the blending modes.  I used a white layer above the paper layer (Brook Gazarek, DigitalScrapbook.com) and used a blend mode (I forget right now, sorry) and then reduced the opacity a bit so I could control how much of the layer below showed through.  The red kodak word is a bit overpowering (as Red tends to do) but is the color kodak uses - perhaps I should have desaturated it a bit.  The yellow frame is the other Kodak color.  On to Day 7.  I think it will be one page though.  I didnt photograph enough cameras and the night is coming to a close.  

For practice, I did do the lesson where we made it one mask.  here I used all 4 as it was better suited for this layout.  I'll try and get these posted on FB in the next week as I finish them all.  I see blurry Kodak and Cover Story, but they are arent blurry in the full sized image.  

Magazine WS Day 6 - 3A Folding Brownie-600.jpg

Susan, I also enjoyed a lot going through your pages, showcasing all these old cameras. Great work!

• Love 1

Last week, I stumbled upon a video suggested by YouTube, and it was about the reconstruction of Ground Zero...   I was surprised to hear the architect, Santiago Calatrava, was responsible for the designs of two buildings... It's interesting because before looking up the Öresund Bridge, I'd never heard his name before.    

In the USA, he is also the architect of the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge in Dallas, Texas, and the Milwaukee Art Museum, Wisconsin.

So, I decided to include this information and create another layout page for Day 2. Now, it will be a Double Page.

It's not exactly complying with the Day2 template, but being the "editor-in-chief" of this magazine, I think it's OK this time. ? 

Day2 MagazineWorkshop2023 Left.jpg

Day2 MagazineWorkshop2023 Right.jpg

• WOW 1
  • Love 10

5 hours ago, Cristina said:

I'm loving your magazine, Michele!   As I mentioned before, I don't know how you find these great illustrations having so little time to work.

Thanks so much, Cristina. I haven't had to do too much searching as I already have a large collection of his and other illustrators' work.

Edited by Michele
  • Like 1