Greeting Card Workshop - 2022

Cassel

I wanted to use one of my pictures of my son and grandson(who is now 15), but I also wanted to learn what Carole was going to instuct us on using the stork. The background is a gradient, the font is Baby Olivia with a gold stroke. The ribbon was created from a Janet Kemp paper from Digital Scrapbook. I added scallops to the selection and then created a pattern that I used for my frame. My cards are printed on half fold card paper, size 8.5 by 11 that is scored for folding . I have a card template that I converted  to PSP that has a line denoting where the fold will be. It works very well with my printer.

BTW, I am so happy to be a new Diamond member!

No babies or opportunities for baby cards so this time I did a Happy New Year card, always handy to have when you forg0t to send some one a christmas card! Last year I made some photos from the fireworks. I don't have a layered template for this occasion so I do without, but the tutorial about it will come in handy on another moment.

Here is my  1st 3 cards.  I am  bit late with my cards, but I have been unwell, and probably not followed the rules correctly. I always heard that shingles was cruel, but had no idea it would be  this painful and believe me I am in week 3 and there is no let up of pain.  Getting a Tia, and a Uti in the midst of it all hasn't helped either. However have managed to get some finished I am posting the 1st 3 here today and I must say that even though the cards are very simple looking, there are some good techniques I have learnt. I had some issues with the first card, I couldn't get the paint in, but I went on to the 2nd card and it worked. I think maybe I had a small selection open on the work and it was stopping the action as I know it can.

Looks like I was getting out of school early and didn't finish my project.  Here is the o 3 card completed.

Such an abundance of beautiful cards.  Lovely to see Trish back again, I love your work Trish, and what a lot of newbies bringing some lovely work.

My card number 5. Made it a Get well one. The flower image is one i did earlier in the year. It was a Doverpub free image that I made the background transparent with the Cybia plugin Alphaworks before applying the colouring and shading using many, many layers. Thank goodness for Carole's Script for grouping. Anyway, I thought I would use it for this card. The font is called Gladista. TFL

Only Card 2 for me--enjoying seeing all the different things we are coming up with!

In the past year, I have had several of my doctors move--one stopped practicing, one moved out of state, and one is a mystery. If I had the opportunity to send them cards, it would be something like this....Blessings on the new adventure. And I sure do miss them all!

A few card making tips--If I am planning to print a card on my home printer, I try to avoid areas of solid color-someone mentioned that earlier. I also add old fashioned crop marks on the corners and I mark the fold line and score it lightly with the end of a burnisher. Paper and card stock has grain, even if you can't see it, a score line makes it fold easier. Often I will find the envelope I plan to mail it in first, and design the card to fit the envelope. It is upsetting to print several cards and then realize I don't have, or can't get the right size envelope!

Susan (#86852), I love that watercolor effect in the background!

Anita (#86871), have you noticed the shading on the blue flowers? It looks like the light source is at the bottom right. Did you rotate it? If not, try to rotate them by 180 degrees to have the shading consistent with the other flowers.

Sharla (#86874), very traditional, but also very nice.

Sheila (#86877), those are cute bees!!! Interesting to see corner punches from other sources! (#86955), that embossed background gives such a delicate effect.

Monique (#86880), that welcome baby card is lovely. Those images are cute! (#86902) To move a selection, simply right-click inside the selection and that will grab it.

Lyn (#86885), these cards remind me of a game on the Sesame Street show "One of these things just doesn't belong" to find the one different image in a set of four.

Kasany (#86886), are the hearts separate? Since they are the same color, if they are on separate layer, consider adjusting the brightness just a tiny bit, just enough to make them slightly different shades of red.

Marie-Claire (#86887), those trees are making me smile for sure. Where did you get them? (#86914), those apples are also great. You must have a secret source as your images are so cute and unique.

Sue (#86889), yes, that was PaintShop Christmas 4. We saw many snowglobes in the forum that year! (#86912), I love it when a card is particularly customized to the recipient, in the theme, the color, or something else.

Ann (#86892), that is a very original take on the theme, and very effective!

Sharon (#86898), it is lovely to see a family photo on a card. Will you be using it this year? (#86920) great result. I see you found a different cupcake to use.

Suzy (#86899), if you really need to have a title/text, there is always a way to do it. Maybe sideways? Maybe add a mat underneath? That little charm is great!

Trish (#86924), that is such a great idea to use the card for an invitation.

Louyse (#86929), you might want to have a peek at the shadows on the yellow flowers: they are inconsistent with all the other shadows. If the shadows are on separate layers, you can replace them. If not, you might be able to rotate them by 90 degrees.

Donna (#86930), great idea to use the stork AND the photo. And welcome as a DIAMOND member. I am glad you are already enjoying yourself!

Corrie (#86932), that is a great idea. We have obviously seen a lot of Christmas cards, but not many for New Year!

Anne (#86940), now who will receive that card? You might be able to 'scare' someone with that!

Shirley (#86941), you are catching up very well despite all your challenges. I hope you recover soon so your mind will be more at ease to enjoy the hobby.

Linda (#86958), that is such an interesting take for a card! And thank you for the tip. I guess I am a little lazy and I simply make sure that the background of the card is not pure white, so I have something to follow when I cut the edge! I am sorry that the pre-Black Friday event is overlapping. But it will be going until Monday night and the workshop will finish on Sunday morning.

Lois (#86963), you are catching up very nicely. Such a cute gnome!

Some of you might have noticed that now, when you click on the thumbnails of some images embedded into the posts, a large image pops up. I have partially fixed the issue that caused the images to NOT display in full size. Yay!!!

With this workshop so well received, I often read comments about "learning something new", or "loving this new technique". How about you tell us what is that "something new" you learned or re-learned. I bet everyone picks up something different from each tutorial!

Here ya go, here is mine. I cheated….I started keeping track of where this stuff is located. That way I can look it up in the future when I can’t remember the exact directions, LOL!

Card 1 - resizing using the top, bottom, left and right. I knew it was to be used how you used it, but I never saw the potential until Card 1.  The exact instructions instead of me floundering around helped, too.

Reminder, the right-click paint can dropper.

Reminder, duplicating the font and turning the bottom one into a raster with shadow.

What I didn’t understand: why don’t you use “open as copy” script for all these instead of opening and closing so many?

Card 2 -  the 25 px stripe  x 4 from the little 100 px square box.

Card 3 - the amazing Diamond pattern. That is my favorite!

I also liked how the border was interrupted by the flower line…and the flower line went outside the border. I had never thought of that before.

Plus, I love that font, especially the letter W, and now I have it! (Thanks to Trish and Sharon)

Card 4 -  I didn’t know the corner cutters went on the edge/to the edge of the paper and the corner cutter brushes went just inside the corner. (And I know those words aren’t right, but hopefully people know what I mean.)

Card 5 - the BIGGIE is that I finally understand why you are so enamored with Groups with the stork. All this time I’ve been using the link layers command,  but I can see now that what I really needed was Groups. (I always figured out of sight out of mind, and I’d forget, but I don’t forget.) I also like how the stork is just a wee bit out of the circle.

Now, what I learned from the other posters is just as long a list, I might add. People do a little name dropping on places where they acquired images or filters, or whatever, so I picked up some really good stuff and new ideas. So a big shout out to the other classmates who had such amazing ideas for cards.

This is an excellent class!  We need those little Christmas package To:   From:              .                                                         cards…do those have a name?  You could print maybe 9 or 12 large ones on a single sheet of paper and save a bunch of money! (That’s what my White Elephant cards were…they go on a package designated for no one in particular in a white elephant gift exchange.  It occurred to me after I posted it and looked at it with all the other cards that people from other countries might not know what it was.)

Card #4.

A little humour of my pipe-dream wish list of lenses.  My new camera is begging for them.  okay, maybe it's just me begging for them.

Treated myself to the Heart Corner Punches.  So cool!  I see what Sue means, they are addictive and look very nice on a layout.  Font is Bronela (Creative Fabrica) and the lenses I took off the google search and extracted them.  I'm glad to have learned how to edit the selection from previous workshops/masterclasses.  Making the heart ribbon was neat.

large.1660276175_CardWorkshop-Card4Front

Susan, those corner and border punches  make for an exquisite touch to any project.  I have all  of them.  I used a Xmas corner punch in the label below.

Suzy, I think you are referring to tags.  which you attach to  wrapped gifts.  There are a few tutorials on how to create them, in the creative scrap.  You  can print them, using business card sheets.  10 to a sheet .  I use them in projects. Here are some Xmas ones.  You can have an image on the front, and to and from on the back, or  add to and from  on a decorated front.   Here are some examples.  I submitted these as freebies  for  year's the Xmas countdown.

LOL Carole;

(#86885), these cards remind me of a game on the Sesame Street show “One of these things just doesn’t belong” to find the one different image in a set of four.

I did not have 4 different colour cupcakes so added the Macaron, I guess I could have added two different Macaron's and two cupcakes! Did not think of that at the time! lol

Oh, yeah, tags. LOL! I was thinking they had a special name when I wrote that! Yes, and template for those utilizing a full sheet of paper (cardstock) would be great, but it occurred to me that only about half of us think 8.5” x 11” is a common size. ?

Those are really nice tags. The blue one has sooo much beautiful detail - it would take me a couple hours to make it! And another couple to think it up…..the teeny tiny sleighs and stars are just so perfect!

And Sharla, you wouldn’t believe how many friends of mine celebrate Chinese New Year when they have no Chinese - or even Asian- ancestry at all! That circular rabbit element is gorgeous, and once again, a gorgeous gold color and shine. I really need to learn that!

Carole (#86964 )

I don't have a secret source ?

and my apologies, I often forget to tell where the elements I used come from, that's because I usually upload my works very late (here in Belgium).

The apples come from a kit, and can be downloaded for free at : lady22.eklablog.com/couleurs-d-automne-a112496888.

Unfortunately I don't remember where the Christmas trees come from, it's also a free bundle that I downloaded, but there is no file where I can see where it comes from.

I think it comes from the design bundles site, and it was once offered for free. I googled the file name but couldn't find anything.