Template Workshop 2022

Cassel

I pulled elements from a bunch of different kits and, honestly, after going back and forth so many times I couldn't tell you which ones finally were used.

River is my older cat, but only by three weeks. Still, she is always quick to remind Rudy that he is the baby of the family and he has to do whatever she says because she is the oldest. My world gets complicated sometimes.

Pirkko (#74120) did you modify the irregular shape to accommodate your photo? If so, that is a great adjustment for a great effect.

Fiona (#74134) sometimes, those white frames are a bit hard to identify and match with the correct photo. It has happened to me too.

Euka (#74136) that is quite a colorful page!

Trish (#74139) thanks for letting me know. Those droplets looked really good. (#74141) Who would have thought that the polar bear's skin was black? (#74159) That is a very soft layout with subtle patterns.

Ann S (#74143) those added little arrows are great ways to add details.

Susan (#74148) although a shadow would not show much because of the dark background, it would still show on some areas, like where the photos are overlapping, and for the frame, on the top left of the page. Of course, on the title, it would not show at all.

Hank (#74155) it is a great idea to show the sun as setting behind those papers! You might want to review your shadows: they are in different directions (like the patterned flower and the ribbons for example).

Jnet (#74157) the script will put the layers just above the one that you have activated, so if you choose the right one to start, it will be added correctly. Otherwise, you might still be searching for it!

Rene (#74165) somehow, I did expect you to have your own process as you are already a veteran scrapbooker! If you ever change your mind, you at least know where those tools are. And yes, when you have two monitors, that would definitely work out faster.

Julie (#74173) of course, I had to show you the loooong way to make you appreciate the shortcuts! In fact, the long way can still be useful in some situations where the script would not work well (you will see in Lesson 6). As Sue has replied, yes you can save the frame separately; simply copy and paste it as a new image, and save it as a png format. But with some practice, you won't need to save them as you will just create them in a few seconds.

Joyce (#74175) although you didn't "fix" that error, you know how to do it, so that is a win, don't you think? After the workshop is over, you can always go back to DigitalScrapbook.com and download other layered templates to continue!

Sue (#74177) I guess using all the photo spots for a single photo is a great way to complete the project faster (but of course, it is not cheating if the photo calls for it!).

Minka (#74183) the fact that you rotated the template got me confused! LOL Your shadows are a bit wide and blurred. I also suspect they are in a different direction than I would expect; I see them toward the top right instead of the bottom right. Also, they would need to be smaller and more defined especially for elements that are flat against the background like the stitching. Because you have photos over photos, you might want to consider cheating a bit by using some reverse shadows on the tiny ones in the middle. You can read about that in this post.

Lois (#74185) thank you for making us travel with you.

Marvin (#74188) such a fun page to showcase a happy event (and a cute little girl!)

Nancy (#74192) by adding a shadow, whether your element is black or not, the blur will give the desired effect. For the title, it is up to you to decide if you want the letters cut out of paper, or printed. Both would work.

Gerry (#74193) I guess you will have to make a matching page for Rudy!

Randy (#74195) great work!!! Your shadows are all very consistent!

Keep it up. Only two days left!

I can't believe it's almost midnight! Well, as you know I'm behind and only on day 4. I finally finished the layout. Had to watch the video multiple times for how to do that page border. Really interesting way to do it! I didn't do the blur on the main picture, but that does work. Well, all the pictures are mine - no elements. Not sure what fonts I used. I think I'm going to use more of this Alabama trip for the Diamond layout.

(#74159) Trish. I haven't been watching. Now I am intrigued.  I will ask my husband as he watched the show and read the books years ago.  I love fantasy, but not if there is too much drama, I like adventure so I never got into Game of Thrones (I tried).

My internet and computer is acting weird today so I'm posting before I lose it.  I used Digital Scrapbook papers and elements for both layouts and the same font (Magdala Script - it has lots of glyphs).  The layout called Metal and Glass has some issue's.  I see the far left frame is thinner than the other ones, I don't know what happened there, but I did have a weird lag in the computer at that time.  I didn't shadow the title either, it looked weird and I'm going to pretend it was done with ink.  I turned the layout 90 degrees to get portrait type layout for the photos.  Photo's are mine, glass/jewelry is Melanie Rowe.

A question for Rene.  When you said you changed the shadows because as you go up the layers the papers would be farther from the base.  Do you base the shadowing on it's relative nearness to the paper directly below it or to the very bottom layer (further away).  I was wondering because a paper layered on another paper (even several layers up) would be the same distance to the paper right below it as the first paper up from the base would be to the base.  Does this makes sense.  I like to hear about how people tackle shadows and make note of their techniques.

Here is my Template Day-4:I had a lot of trouble with the the text tool and  finally finished it. It seems that all of a sudden my PSP started acting up and whenever I started to write the text as a vector it turned it into a group and placed a text layer underneath the vector layer. Even when I just added a vector layer it formed a group. I worked around it and hope someone will have a suggestion for that. I used the background paper from the tutorial (Rachel Martin) and used Hue and Saturation to blend well with my pictures. I took those many years ago when I visited my cousins in Germany and we went for a drive to the beautiful Lake Constance in the city of Lindau. Lake Constance (known as Bodensee in German) is a 63km-long central European lake that borders Germany, Austria and Switzerland and it is fed by the Rhine River.It is composed of 2 connected parts, the Untersee (lower lake) and the larger Obersee (upper lake). Ringed by resort towns, it's a summer destination for sailing, windsurfing and swimming. The Bodensee-Radweg cycle path encircles the entire lake in about 260km.

Guest Guest
Carole: Did you mean the paw prints... yes, I copied them and pasted on background paper (mirrored first and scaled too)

Regarding Vector layers: I just figured it out and found it has always done that. When I added a vector layer it puts the small arrow on the left side of the layer palette just like with a group. I just never paid attention to it and now with closing groups and merging groups  I started to notice the little arrows. I could have saved myself a lot of time if I had thought about it and looked at my earlier projects. Guess I was just getting very tired and it looked odd to me. Will get a fresh start tomorrow with Templates Day 5. Everyone's projects here look very beautiful.

Thanks Sue and Trish I'll take your ideas into consideration as I'm struggling with day 5. The template doesn't match with my idea and need for my story and I want to stick to it. I'll have to think some more and try a different approach, so back to the drawingboard....

Here is my take on Diamond Template 4 and after all the preparations the balloon and its 12 passengers + pilot is finally airborne. My husband took those photos of the balloon taking to the sky, because I was taking the ride. To be continued.

Day 5

I have learnt from doing these templates the long way as a few of us seem to have done but I think I should get the ClipToIt script for the future. The mask of the circle didn't work for me even after repeating the process a few times so it may be a case in point for the script. The solution as suggested was to add a flat element for that layer so I placed a doily. One of the ribbons is deliberately a gauze effect and the pink one is from cass-RibbonFactoryC-Spring.

In response to #72404 Susan.

A question for Rene.  When you said you changed the shadows because as you go up the layers the papers would be farther from the base.  Do you base the shadowing on it’s relative nearness to the paper directly below it or to the very bottom layer (further away).  I was wondering because a paper layered on another paper (even several layers up) would be the same distance to the paper right below it as the first paper up from the base would be to the base.  Does this makes sense.  I like to hear about how people tackle shadows and make note of their techniques.

It depends. A lot of the templates I use do not have the papers stacked right on top of each other but offset somewhat. For those that are stacked right on top of another layer with no offset then yes, I do use the same shadowing. But if any part of the right/bottom side of the paper is offset then I might change the shadow because that paper would be farther from the background. It also depends on how it looks which is why I shadow from the bottom up. Also, the difference in the shadow is actually small. My normal paper shadow preset is 10-10-70-20. I might change it to 12-12-70-20. So a minimal change that most people wouldn't even notice.

It is really the elements that have more depth to them that might have more change in the depth of the shadows since when layering those elements in clusters, some are right on the background and others aren't and if any part of that element higher in the cluster appears to be on the background, it needs to have a deeper shadow. Again especially if it is on the bottom/right side of the cluster (since that is where the shadows are).

I actually paper scrapped over 20 years ago and lot of these techniques were taught to me then. I just had to learn how to convert to digital. I've seen some digital layouts done by people much more creative than me that have so much depth to them, I would think they were done with paper if I didn't know better. I strive to be more like them!

Rene. Thank you!  what a great amount of information for me.  I come from a photographic background and I'm always thinking about the "inverse square law", specifically, the light source to subject distance and subject to background distance.  In scrapbooking and photography it's all about the shadows isn't it.  thank you again for taking time to tell me about your methods and sharing your many years of experience.

Finally finishing up my Day 4-Diamond Template. Here's CHEETAH. The font is called "Children Funny." I had to use the Raster-to-Mask script for the bottom photo. The Clip-to-It did not work; it kept tossing the photo and mask into the previous group. Now on to Day 5 as I have yet to watch that video!

Am really loving seeing what everyone is creating - it is inspiring to see the different slants we have on how we do things and the photos are also great. Don't know why but I struggled with this one to the point of having to start from scratch three times! Anyway got there in the end. I have taken bits from different kits and reused my photos from day 4.

As usual everyone is doing a bang up job. Really beautiful layouts, photos, colors and technique.

Here are a couple for lesson 2.  A bit behind, maybe I can catch up.

I made two. The roses for practice and the Ukraine layout using Carole's template because the people of  the Ukraine have been on my mind as I imagine is with all of us. I  used just stuff on my computer for the roses and my photos. For the Ukraine I used "Reach for the Sun" elements by Jessica Dunn. It seemed to me that those elements were appropriate under the circumstances. The photos are acknowledged on the layout.

Day 6.  The lace border was  created using a brush, and Carole's mitred corner script.  The elements are my own  flowers extracted from photos.  Larkspur, cornflowers, flax, pansy and geranium, with tri coloured bumbles and a hover fly on three of them.  The extractions were done a very long time ago, so was the lace border, all I had to do with that was  to change the colour.

I finally solved  the problem how to use those tiny squares in this layout for day 5. I used a light colored paper with some with some texture and an overlay of stars and I hope it is visible in this resized version. For the squares I cropped  square parts of my photos and searched matching papers/ribbons from my stash.  Flowers for the elements wouldn't work so I used stars. The font is Wingcharm. I almost wanted I stayed with my favourite subject flowers'it would have been simpler, but not a challenge....