Masks Workshop 2022

Cassel

I'm a bit behind as I have a busy week, but will try and catch up.

This one is one of my sisters and myself having fun in my aunts garden.

All our pretty dresses we wore as kids were made by my mother

We all had matching outfits and on one occasion my mother had the same too!

Wow!  You all are doing great!

This is the last of project 1 - the extra 1b.

The picture was taken in 2008 at a seminary in Louisiana.  The font is Klemiskey with inner bevel; the doily is mine; the paint brush stroke in the background is from Creative Fabrica; all the paint brush strokes originally on the layout were painted and have reduced opacity.

Day 4 mask making.  I can see I need more practice.  This is a valuable technique.  The photo is mine the font is Gills Sans Ultra Bold and the quote is Gills Sans something-or-other-skinnier-version.  Back ground I think came from the photo and I added a texture again.  It's small and might not show up.  This time I did it right.  However, I never unchecked add textures and I was getting textures everywhere.  Textures in places textures shouldn't be.

Sue, amazing the defenses of insects.  My cat ate a ladybug once, and paid for it with a foaming mouth, a trip to the vet and an antihistamine shot.  we didn't know at the time it was from that until later years when another cat ate one, which we saw.  On a side note:  Do you know what kind of spider this is.  it was night, outside on my driveway in Chilliwack, BC October 17, 2011.  I love snakes and rodents but don't do so well with insects, beetles are okay though.  This one creeps me out.

Hope it's okay to have posted it.  I could have done mask page with it but I can't bear to look at it for that long.

Day 4 and another tree. I needed anupdate on making your own mask from scratch and now I know why that didn't go well for me after the Love Story Challenge. I had taken notes and there was a mistake in those notes so it didn't work. But hurray, now I'm okay. I don't like that you cann't see where the edges of the photo are when you make the mask. So I place guides around my photo and have a better idea where to brush! Carole is this a known trick that I rediscovered for myself? I copied the mask, merged the group and turned it into a rasterlayer. Selected it with the magic wand and gave it a light feather so the outside is a bit "softer". I tried a blur first, but like the feathering better.

I'm enjoying seeing what everyone is doing. I am watching the daily videos but unable to actually do anything because of my computer issues. I do plan on doing them when I get the computer issues straightened out whether this one is upgraded or a new one ordered and put into service (which could be late March when I looked the other day, darn chip shortage). Until then I will just admire everyone else's work!

Day 3 - I am certainly looking for spring.

And I am certainly enjoying this workshop.

I was having difficulty putting the elements in a way that looked good.  But I liked the final product. Using round corners on the rectangle that I placed the text upon looked much better than square corners for this one.

Even though I have used the Kaleidoscope many times, I really like the method of using it to form a seed pattern to use to create a paper for background.

Even though I have never considered Scrapbooking as something that I wanted to pursue, I am liking some of the creations.

Carole, thank you again.

And thank you to all who post and share their ideas which inspire me.

As you can see from this posting, I am having a problem.  When I place the plaid at the bottom of the layout (as you are supposed to do if it is to be the background), the plaid is showing through the main picture.  I have tried a lot of things to overcome this, but nothing works completely.  I even tried putting a duplicate mask with no picture in it beneath the main mask group.  That came the closest to fixing the problem.  However, one is not supposed to have to do that!  HELP!

Day 4 - Frustratingly PSP2020 kept shutting down each time I started to brush, it has never happened before.   I cleared cache and temp files reset dns and workspace everything I could think of - thought I would leave it overnight to let it settle but today it still shuts down.  So 2021 it is.

Makybe Diva ran some amazing races and won the Melbourne Cup 3 years and so far the only horse to do so, she is also the only mare to win the cup twice.

Corrie, in order to see where to stamp I lower the opacity of the black mask layer to see the photo edges and where to stamp. (have to remember to reset it back to 100%).  Your idea to feather is a good one I will try that next time.

Anita, (#72366) the "artsy" type of mask tends to be meant to show a photo with fuzzy edges. To take advantage of that feature, have you considered enlarging the top photo? Often, it will lose some details due to those edges but we expect that with that type of mask.

Sharla, (#72369) after doing those so many times, I tend to troubleshoot quite fast. There are some common situations that are now, easy to identify. That is why I always say that if one has a problem, post about it so someone can help. Glad you got it now.

Sue, (#72371) I guess feathering and blurring might end up with similar edges. (#72418) That is a very interesting font that you used on the title.

Ann, (#72375) no wonder it is a favorite. That is a great page. (#72413) Shh... don't tell them yet! ;) If I could offer a suggestion, I think the font is a little hard to read. If I had not read your text, I would have had difficulties differentiating the C and E. Even on the word "Woodpecker", the difference is minimal. Now, since you are using a special name for it, that is unfamiliar to many, it is hard to know if it is "Pileated" or "Pilcated".

Randy, (#72379) remember the mnemonic: "black will block, white is a window". In your case, your "window is not clean" because it is grey. That area needs to be white on the mask to let the image show through. If you increase the contrast of that mask layer, it will turn grey into black or white (depending on how light/dark it is).

Liz, (#72388) you might want to consider either putting something or some brush stroke underneath the title, or tone down the background paper to make the title easier to read. It is a bit of an unusual font, which makes it a bit hard to read.

Mary, (#72390) glad to see you join in. And yes, the grey mask is meant to give a fainter look, but many people prefer to turn them to white to see more of the details. (#72396) Beautiful colors. (#72440) By changing just the title, you can definitely use that page for a great greeting card. (#72500) As Laurie mentioned, the opacity might be an issue. The other thing could be that the white is not really white.

Lynda, (#72392) nice combination of colors, pattern, and poem. (#72462) Good practice! Your result is great.

Henry, (#72394) can you consider enlarging the top photo so the mask would give it that fuzzy effect on the edges instead of just showing as grey stains?

Anne, (#72398) beautiful colors. I am curious what is the "fuzzy" black under the title? (#72420) Great shot!

Fiona, (#72402) that is very creative!!!

Christiane, (#72404) no need to be sorry. Post when you can. Looking forward to your projects when you have time to post them.

Hank, (#72406) is that picture one of your home? You seem to have used other interesting effects on it. Do you remember what you did to it?

Gerry, (#72408) nice use of the mask. And if you want more snow, maybe we can send you some!

Royanne, (#72408) I had to make you work a little before showing you how to make things easy ;)

Lavada, (#72401) it looks like your Brush Variance Palette is docked and oddly sized. Pull it out to keep it floating and then you can stretch it manually, just like you can stretch an image window. Give this a try. Also, see if you can get a fuzzy edge on the left side of your photo to be consistent. Another option would be to move everything to the left edge of the page.

Sherie, (#72422) glad that you finally found out how to create those soft edges. You can create so many interesting effects with masks!

Ellen, (#72424) although I never had my 2022 freeze on me, I do find it slower. I thought it was just my computer being a little insufficient, but with more people mentioning the same thing, maybe that is not my fault after all. I have a feeling that you are going to create more masks in the future!

Marie-Claire, (#72427) what is the name of your dog again? (#72429) I think I recognize those paw prints. Are they one of the freebies from the blog? (#72453) That background is surprisingly subtle and lets the edges of the mask show very well.

Lyn, (#72431) did you create the background with the kaleidoscope?

Susan, (#72442) I have to say that I kind of dislike spiders. I don't mind looking at them on the outside, through a window or such, but after one experience where my brand new apartment was occupied by 35 BIG black spiders (a body of about an inch diameter), I had nightmares for days! Using the text from the fur of the raccoon is a great way to tie things together.

Connie, (#72447) although I assume you might have found some new brushes, did you know that you could use the basic round brush tip, reduce the opacity and play with the position jitter and still get some interesting edges.

Corrie, (#72451) no, that tip is not in my book. Personally, what I have done in the past is to lower the opacity of the mask layer a little, just enough to make out the main element of the photo. But again, there are always more than one way to do something in PSP!

Bonnie, (#72453) what was holding you from doing this project? I am glad you had a blast in the end. (#72460) That font is fantastic! Is this going to be ending up as a double-page?

Rene, (#72465) isn't it incredible how a shortage of a little chip can have such a big impact on so many things in our lives? Know that you will still have access to the workshop as part of your membership.

Bill, (#72466) yes, when you create your own mask, you have all the flexibility to showcase what you want from your photo.

Randy, (#72467) although I would not mind "converting" you to a scrapbooker, you can definitely use most of the techniques shown for many other types of projects! The scrapbook projects are still a great way to practice. And your result shows that you are getting more skilled with your PSP.

Lois, (#72469) what background did you use for that page? It matches perfectly with your image.

Louyse, (#72471) that is such a cute display of a cute photo. Can you share what you used and where you got that? We always love to know where supplies come from (aren't we all nosey? :) )

Laurie, (#72473) that solid blue background really helps showcase that photo. And if you want more snow, and you want to share with Gerry, I send you some for free. You only have to pay for shipping :)

Euka, (#72504) interesting that you have issues with 2020 while Ellen has issues with 2022! I see you tend to use the same tip I use to know where to UNmask.

If you have not posted any project yet, it is still not too late. You don't even have to post them all if you only want to show a few. I hope you take a little time to read ALL the comments in this long post. As others have mentioned before, I often answer questions or offer solutions and suggestions that could be useful to you, in other projects.

Mask Workshop Day 2; Continuing with the Theme of Transportation, I selected Air Travel for this project.. Graphics are from Art Explosion, and Creative Fabrica,  Flying  Ace Mr. Mooch has graciously volunteered to pilot the Zeppelin. The Font is a simple one called Bahnschrift Light. Thank you Carole for pointing out that by enlarging the photo the Mask will look better. I noticed that when I played with today's project. I will re-do the other one using that very helpful tip.

Carole, Yes that was created with Kaleidoscope. I did a few tries till I got one I liked and I really love that one. I Love the effect that it is a bit like sun rays radiating out from the centre of the image. The white is the dresses, the peach colour is the arms. With a touch of green from the grass.   I love how it turned out.