Magazine Challenge 2021

Cassel

Carole, in lmost everything I make with paintshop my dog is the center of attention, so I thought I could be more innovative, and opt for something different.

After the cover here is the second page

Later in the challenge I hope to update the cover.

to everyone,

It's so nice to see all those beautiful layouts and different ideas, I'm looking forward to see your next page

Kept mine simple again ... I had purchased a new camera and so I was learning how to use that as well.  Some shots came out better than others, but that's all about learning, right?  No fanciness to this one.  The font was just Copperplate Gothic.

Had another go and changed the size, added a barcode and a gradient. Font is belwe Bd :)

Am I the only one who is a bit "scared" to alter settings like UN check the lock aspect ratio for example? I'm always afraid I don't remember how it was before altering, especially when you start another project :)

Translation:

My favourite spot

My favourite spot in Appeltern (the name of the showgarden) must be this spot and a spot further on which  I call the Ikea garden. This spot looks and is soothing with the bench near the water and the plants surrounding you.

This picture I printed and it's on a wall.

Belwe is the font I used.

Hi Fiona,

To answer your question, I put each photo on a separate layer, arranged them to my liking, and then merged them down until all the photos were on one layer. You could also hide all the layers that you DON'T want to merge and then use "merge visible to a new layer". That way you can keep all the photos on their own layer and still have a merged copy.

Hope that was helpful

BTW nice to meet another vegetable gardener :-)

Lynda

Carole, thanks for the tip about the shadows on my text in the cover. I tried it and it looks so much better.

Before starting on any projects, I thought that a safety tip would be a good way to lead into my new magazine.

I also like the looks of an 8.5 x 11 format that many of you used, so I tried it here.

My Day 2 - Page 2 of Birds of the Hudson Valley. The Brown Thrasher likes his grape jelly! He has a staring eye like the grackle. If he meets the Blue Jay, things may get exciting!

My bird info comes from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology here in New York. As you can see I rotated the template to accommodate my photo that is in landscape mode rather than portrait. Using the Berlin font again but this time with Arial instead of Copperplate.

Day 2, I kept more in keeping with the  initial layout. I do like the 8x10 size for magazines, and flyers. On the cover I mentioned recipes, and seeing as I showcased  a Welsh ewe and  her lamb, I  added the traditional Welsh  cawl recipe.   Magazine pages are packed with adverts, so I decided to showcase a  Welsh love spoon, with the Welsh Dragon on it. There actually is a gift shop in Haverfordwest called the The Sheep Shop.  The landscape is a photo I took several years ago of where I was raised from a baby. You can just see the chimneys of the house, the buildings are  nestled amongst the trees. My parents have been long gone, but my brother still farms sheep. Craig Las means Rock Blue in English   ( Blue Rock) Much  of the Welsh language is spoken  backwards, when translated into English.  Having small hands as a child, I have drawn thousands and thousands of lambs over the years, and rolled the same amount of fleeces. Oh yes, I also added a page number. WCF is an abbreviation of the magazine title.

UPDATE EDIT

amazing pictures and a wonderful tutorial from Carole.  I am finally getting the hang of creating a more cohesive look. also my pages are starting to look more like magazine pages.

I am putting up the first 2 redone so they both look more connected.

since the name of my magazine is "Childhood" I am going for a more colorful look.

my future posts should continue to have light blue backgrounds and colorful titles with a teal color text box. I am liking the more subtle colored palette to go with the black and white photos.

since the print is small on the page I decided to include it here:

My mother used to send us outside to play every day and that is what I remember doing most of my childhood. The elementary school was two blocks from my home. It had a playgound that I often frequented after school and on weekends. This is a picture of my sister that I took when I discovered that our camera would take double exposures. I guess I always liked playing with technology! These pictures were taken at the play yard of that school around 1966.

The story I remember about this picture is that my sister was reluctant to be my model because I was using the camera "wrong". She always seemed to me to be the sibling with no sense of adventure and I was always up for attemping new things.

Things we weren't supposed to do but did anyway:

I have memories of climbing up on a low porch roof and jumping off.

I remember jumping out of my bedroom window over a basement window ditch that was lined with concrete. Its a wonder I didnt get hurt too seriously when one time I fell in, receiving many bruises and scrapes.

Our back porch had a dozen steps leading up to it and one of our favorite activities was climbing up to the top and jumping into the dirt.

Beautiful page Corrie, you take beautiful flower photos. You have a good keen eye. Using an advert is another way to showcase a photo or in this case an element, which I extracted from a photo. The gift shop was aptly named for this page. As it featured the Welsh sheep. Perhaps an advert challenge could be planned for down the road. Using elements created by us, like chains, belt buckles, buttons, and hundreds more.

So amazed at what everyone has done.  Gives me so many awesome ideas!  Ok, tried to change the cover some.  Still need to do some more to it.  And here is the new cover as well as my first page with text.

Glad to see all those layouts posted. I told you they would be quick to make!

Marie-Claire, that is such a neat subject and your page is very interesting to us, as we discover something totally new.

Hank, that page put a smile on my face. Is that you in the picture? On the second page, is the image distorted or is it done like that? If the image is larger than the area suggested, I would recommend that you resize it to match the width and leave some empty space either on top or on the bottom as to not distort the image. However, since it is a piece of art, MAYBE it is drawn like that? For the fill of the background under the text, make sure that the Fill tool is not set to Use all layers. You need to fill in the little holes in the letters.

Minka, even if only from your window, you are sharing such fun photos. And isn't that easy to do?

Monique, I can understand that you are concerned about changing settings. However, it is with experimenting that you will learn and understand the tools better. Beautiful photo to showcase!

Art, your magazine is really giving the feel of a printed document we would find in a store! Looking forward to the next ones.

Ann S., rotating the template is definitely one creative way to use it, and the result is great.

Gerry, that is such a fun page. Are you going to tell more stories in each subsequent page? It will be so much fun!

Anne L., are we invited on the trip too? :)

Sue, I never thought to add advertisements to pages, but you are right: they are often in magazine pages. Maybe we can also have a whole page dedicated to ads at the end?? That is another possible twist on this challenge.

Corrie, those are beautiful flowers, and you are correct, simplicity is just what we are looking for in this challenge.

Diane, stories are always important in scrapbooking, whether we tell them in photos only or in text too. And why not learn PSP at the same time? That is great! And remember that as you save the projects in .pspimage format, you will have many opportunities to tweak them and change your mind multiple times!

Nadine, I really love the idea of a photo from behind. It makes me want to know more about this person. That is a great choice for a cover. Where did you get those "icons" for page 2? They are great ideas!

Val, do you have a reason to use a dark green on your page? Is that meaningful of something? Personally (unless it is specific colors for something), I would have used a lighter version, so that the tree would stand out more.