Magazine Challenge 2021

Cassel

This is so much fun.  I am so glad I joined this because I get to see so many different beautiful pages.  I redid my cover and here is page 3.

Carole - Yes the green is significant in scouts... so I took out the tree.

EDIT:

As I go along with this challenge I think my pages are becoming a little better. I changed the colors in all my pages so far so they will fit together better and I like the new look.

This is page 3 much better color.  The title is brighter and the text box is a soft teal.

Since the photo is small I've decided to put the text here for those who want to read it.

One activity we always enjoyed was going to see the beautiful Petersons Rock Garden, with it's child sized houses and bridges across beautiful koi ponds.

The gardens were also known for the many peacocks that roamed the gounds freely. and provided a constant background noise with their loud calling.

Rasmus Christian Petersen (1883-1952) built his rock garden in the last 17 years of his life, in tribute to his adopted new country. He collected rocks, petrified wood, glass, lava, and shells from around Redmond, and began building replica structures at the age of 52 -- when most people start to slow down. His creativity eventually yielded a scaled-down Statue of Liberty, a U.S. Capitol building, and an impressive Independence Hall -- the first thing that visitors encounter when walking in from the parking lot. Monuments line landscaped paths, and three Tower Bridges cross ponds on Petersen's seven acres of property.

Independence Hall.

Inside the main building and museum, a black light room provides glowing mineral thrills. Central Oregon is rich in rocks, and Petersen clearly loved his chosen building material.

Cristina: Awesome magazine cover, can't wait to open it. And I wasn't disappointed. The photos on Day 2 and 3 are spot on and the information was entertaining to read.

Ann: Loving the "Birds of the Hudson Valley" cover. It will be interesting to read all about them. Day 2 page is perfect. I really like how you added their scientific names as well as general information about them. Day 3 has a fantastic picture of the blue jay and brown thrasher.

Monique: The magazine cover is so gorgeous and what a lovely garden park. Both of your cover pages are lovely. The next page is so relaxing to look at. Beautiful. Day 3 is just a beautiful and I really like how you are consistantly using the gradient to tie all together.

Anne: Looks like we had something similar in mind. Great cover. Day 2 layout is wonderful. It is definitely a long trip huh? How lovely is the flower and lava rocks of the Big Island. We didn't get a chance to go over as we were there for vow renewals for our son & dil.

Art: Fantastic cover. Will be waiting on bated breath to read about all the projects. Next page is great. And a fantastic idea to lead in with safety tips. Liking Day 3 page. Cute and informative.

Lynda: Both covers are gorgeous. Will be looking forward to seeing more.

Fiona: Stunning cover. I am hoping that we will be seeing recipes within the magazine? You did a great job on merging the photos on your Day 2 layout. The photos are great as well. Day 3 has a fabulous photo of the broad beans. Are they as tasty as they look?

Sue: Charming cover. Looks so professional. Day 2 is so nice. I like how you included an "ad" for the Sheep Shop. The pictures are lovely and the information well worth the read. I really enjoyed reading about he Atlantic grey seals and looking at the mischevious looks upon their faces. Enjoyed the advertisement as well.

Minka: All three covers are darling. What a great title for your magazine. Oh my, what a brood of birds. Great picture and layout. The blue jays photo is breathtaking. The blues are so vibrant and I like that you used them as a gradient in the title.

Gerry: Love the sepia look you used for your cover and the pets are adorable. Just got to your revisit. It is lovely; but both are so well done. Loved the story about River and like how you put the page together. Ashton is adorable and I loved reading about him.

Corrie: Spectacular cover. I really like the gradient you used under the title. Really makes it pop. Day 2 has an exceptionally lovely photo and very interesting information about the Eupatorium. Nicely done Day 3. Got a kick out of the ad.

Paul: Wonderful cover to the magazine. I look forward to seeing more pictures of Arizona. Great job.

Marie-Claire: Wow, that is fabulous and how lucky you live so close to such great art. Your second page layout is so vibrant and lively. I am in awe of the art you have around you and your layouts.

Val: You magazine is going to be full of information about scouting and I like how you used their colors in your cover. Yep the cover looks better and I just knew we were going to see more of your family scouting get togethers. Great Day 2 and really liked how you added a cutline. You just keep getting better and better. Like the addition of the badges to the cover. The boys look just like I remember them, LOL

Annie: As always you know how to make an entrance. What a fantastic cover for "Touring Australia". Either way you do it, the covers are gorgeous. Day 2 is another stunning page with the beautiful blues.

Hank: Fantastic photo and great name for your magazine. Can't wait to see more. And you didn't disappoint with your next page. Great read.

Diane: Your covers and page 1 are very nice. I really enjoyed reading about your adventures. Garden of Rocks is a lovely page and the information was very interesting.

Nadine: Great cover and looking forward to reading all about your granddaughter. Day is a perfect start to the magazine.

Euka: You're not the only one, lol. I just got my cover uploaded. I really like the look of your cover page.

Thanks to everyone who has given my work delightful comments ... always appreciated my friends.  This magazine I am creating 'Touring Australia' incorporates the most popular holiday destinations in each state of Australia (7) and, as you can imagine, by no means covers all that is in the offering.  I am going from the east coast, south, west coast and finishing with the north.  As Carole has indicated there will be 8 pages I am planning a summary for the 8th page ... but, that may change as things do.  This gorgeous photo of a sunset crowning the Sydney Opera House was a must so I hope you enjoy perusing.  All fonts used are the same as the previous pages.  Thanks for takin a peek my friends.  ;D

Annie, what a stupendous page. I love everything about it. The font is so fitting, as is the background paper. I really like the revised cover page, not that there was anything wrong with the original. The page size makes all the difference. May I make one suggestion on the opera house page? The split text, I would be inclined to stretch it vertically, before converting it to a raster. So you have more height on both on and off the photo. Giving more definition. Everyone who has participated has submitted exquisite pages. With Carole at the helm, we all have something to offer, whether it's a tip, or knowledge to help someone out. The campus is an awesome place to be.

We are definitely an active bunch of PSPers!!! Great job!

Annie, that overlay is so delicate! It really adds a nice touch. Beautiful photo of that beach. I would love to go! And that picture of the Opera house. That is stunning!

Monique, thanks for the link for us, outsiders!

Cristina, it is amazing how those simple layouts can be so interesting to look at.

Euka, naming the font on the layer is a good idea. You can also add any type of information on the Image Information. And if you can't decide what to use for the theme, you might end up with more than one magazine!

Ann S. I see you used a tiny shadow on the text. Did it not stand out without shadows? That is definitely a great photo!

Fiona, that is typical that the display is not as crisp when resized for posting. At least, if you ever print your magazine, you will have the full-size original for it.

Sue, I am curious to know why the fourth line of text seems spaced further than the other three. That wavy title is perfect for that photo.

Art, that is a great photo to showcase. I love how those pages are not distracting us with a ton of decorations. Those photos deserve to be the stars!

Cindy, did you register? This challenge is probably the easiest of all since there is no clustering, no shadowing, no layering, etc. Give it a try.

Gerry, this is a perfect example of a drop shadow used for something other than a drop shadow. If you had not said there was one, I would not have seen it, yet you have a very legible text with it.

Nadine, it is re-added now. For anyone else who might notice their post not displaying, drop me a message: sometimes, the system is overzealous and wants to protect everyone else from potential spams, so it might catch your post in that filter.

Minka, are you considering printing that magazine? It would be great for them to have something physical to flip through! A definite conversation starter!

Anne L., try that technique on a different page.

Marie-Claire, that overlapping text technique looks great on that photo! And you did a fantastic job with those additional photos and text. It really looks like a magazine page!

Corrie, there is a tutorial in the Campus to make a QR code, and there is also a script in the store to make some. Remember that they LOOK like QR codes, but they don't work (just like the barcodes).

Val, although magazines don't have shadows usually, those badges might use a little bit. That overlapping text looks great on that photo.

Diane Co, even though you seem to have more text than others on that page, I think that it would be as fun to read as any magazine article. Of course, it is always smaller when posted in the forum! :)

Karon, is that supposed to be a ticket in the white rectangle? If so, why not make fake data that look real? Or are you going to put the actual data for your own use?

If anyone is reading this and has not yet posted, don't be shy. These pages are very quick to create and are perfect to showcase your favorite photos.

Marie-Claire, I am truly enjoying your project. That street art is stunning and to think you can walk around feeling you are right there in it! When I need to post in a "foreign" language I type in my native English and then go to Google and get it translated and then post that. What conveniences we have now!

Marie-Claire, j'apprécie vraiment votre projet. Ce street art est magnifique et penser que vous pouvez vous promener en vous sentant bien dedans ! Lorsque j'ai besoin de publier dans une langue "étrangère", je tape mon anglais natif, puis je demande à Google de le traduire pour moi, puis de le publier. Quelles commodités nous avons maintenant!

I liked the creative uses for the split colour text particularly of the watery effect on Sue's design and Val's approach makes the text look intentionally 'silly'. Then I got carried away looking at Art's skill at his wooden pictures.

Carole, I hadn't thought of recipes but that is a good idea as I have photos of some things being made in the kitchen.

For my Day 4 as we are using repeat colours I created a new colour palette named Magazine Challenge. I used the slider to find the colour values.

Having decided to keep the template proportions for this challenge, I didn't want to distort my photos in order to fit the panels. Instead I used the lock layer and floodfill taught in Day 3 to change the colour of the photo layer.

As usual Connie the cat appears in a photo!

Annie: Your photos are so stunning and I love the sky behind the opera house. So beautiful. Maybe one day I will manage a trip to Australia.

Fiona: Loving the photos of the veggies from your garden. You are definitely a master gardener. And Connie looks so at peace among the carrots.

Here is my Day 2 page. I rearrange the template a little to better accommodate my photo. I had trouble locating the text wrap feature and using it. Maybe it was because I rearranged everything?? I don't know.  When we went to Colorado, we didn't  go up the mountain because we did not have enough time allotted. She sure is a beauty though!

I took a little liberty of resizing one picture and adding a third on page 2.  Birds that NORMALLY would never come so close to the house (within six feet), but I guess the lure of a fresh drink will do it. There are no streams or rivers near me but they know they can get some water here.  The turkeys drink forever and then just sit around in the shade for a while.  If you have seed out there, they will eat you out of house and home ... but that's okay, I have more.