Template Workshop 2024

Cassel

To all - WHERE is that font with the cutout on top called Winter Vibes.  I checked with Creative Fabrica and the only Winter Vibes (which I downloaded to see if there was anything such as a cutout to place on top of the letters - which it didn't).  I searched through Creative Fabrica and couldn't find but one which had a cutout group that went on top of the font but wasn't anything like what you have shown.  I also checked with DaFont, but it didn't recognize Winter Vibes.

A little late in getting through these lessons and posting.  My pictures will likely all come from the things I've turned since I may want to use some of these layouts in my advertising.  Thanks for the great info.  This one shows a Walnut lidded box with an inset in the top.  I wish I could take credit for the inset, but I purchased the material from a retired woodturner and we didn't have time for me to learn how he put the shape together.  The turning work is all mine though.

Day 1 - Lidded Box - 600.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 11

A few more of my turnings.  The darning mushroom is made from a piece of a lilac bush.  You should be able to just see the purple lines in it.  The sawdust smells a lot like the flowers.  The pendant and earrings are made from some small pieces of tulip wood.  The papers I used all came from Marisa Lerin's DigitalScrapbook.com. 

Day 2 - Masks-600.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 8

37 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

To all - WHERE is that font with the cutout on top called Winter Vibes.  I checked with Creative Fabrica and the only Winter Vibes (which I downloaded to see if there was anything such as a cutout to place on top of the letters - which it didn't).  I searched through Creative Fabrica and couldn't find but one which had a cutout group that went on top of the font but wasn't anything like what you have shown.  I also checked with DaFont, but it didn't recognize Winter Vibes.

I don't know if you found the "Winter Vibes" font, but I did find it at Creative Fabrica. I believe it's the one you are looking for. The cutouts look like snow on top of the letters. Here is the link: https://www.creativefabrica.com/product/winter-vibes-12/ref/784652/

• Like 2

Day 4 Magnolia tree from two years ago. Last year a hard frost came a just the wrong time after the tree had bloomed out.  Bummer. The text is am-intex or at least that is what it is called on my PC,  the background is "cpjess-springskies-paper-blueskies folder" at least that is how I have it labeled.

my day 4.jpg  Magnolias 600.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 10

11 hours ago, sharon thompson said:

Day 5 result. I had promised another new dragon themed tag for a guy who has a "Dungeons & Dragons" group (he has a truck, I don't, but I need one to haul soil etc for my garden so I make tags for his group emails all year).  I did try and work with the template but, after inserting all those menacing dragon eyes into the photo slots, I quickly abandoned that idea and deleted them. There was a circle and some rectangles left and, in the spirit of moving placeholders and using the pick tool for scaling, I went completely off script. The paper was a rescaled and recolored wallpaper, the dragons & flames were already in my stash but, because I usually work in tagger scale, I was constantly rescaling things. The pale dragon at top right was a jpeg so I had to tube it (I hate tubing) and there was no clear color definition. After adding it to the paper, I realized that I should have misted it as blurring the edges didn't work well. It was going to be blended into the background so it doesn't look too bad unless you zoom  in on some of the edges. It took several attempts with drop shadows to make the flames leap out a bit. Font is Brush Script Std. 

TP5 sharon (small).jpg

Wowzers!  This is fabulous!

3 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Nice trick to only use the shadow. In this layout it works perfectly. I must remember that!

I believe I learned that from Michele, it's pretty cool isn't it?  I'm not sure if she did something different when I saw hers, but as always, it was eye-dropping awesome!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Day 4 Diamond template.  The pictures are from Creative Fabrica – Freebie from a day or two ago of watercolor winter scenes. The 3 smaller pictures are from 3 different scenes in the group. I textured and used brightness and contrast on the white layer background; the font is Winter Vibes (sorry, I couldn’t get the one which I downloaded that had snow on it to come up in my font list, so I just went with this one as I like it too. I innerbevelled the font twice and then gave it a slight shadow – I picked the color from one of the pictures. The 3 small pictures I chiseled so that they would stand out since the background large picture is very busy.

2024 Template 4 Diamond_600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 13

2 hours ago, Leslie Gifford Cook said:

A little late in getting through these lessons and posting.  My pictures will likely all come from the things I've turned since I may want to use some of these layouts in my advertising.  Thanks for the great info.  This one shows a Walnut lidded box with an inset in the top.  I wish I could take credit for the inset, but I purchased the material from a retired woodturner and we didn't have time for me to learn how he put the shape together.  The turning work is all mine though.

Day 1 - Lidded Box - 600.jpg

That is beautiful and one thing I had wanted to learn once upon a time.  I used to work for my brother (when i lived in another province) who made custom Japanese furniture and shoji doors.  Now he works for his son making Italian cooking tools (gnocchi boards and all kinds of stuff wooden and brass).   I love wood and a part of me dies a little inside when I see someone paint it (I'm talking nice stuff like walnut, spalted maple, curly maple etc).  Your work is really nice.  If you ever want to see my nephews work, it's at etsy called:  Nonnas Woodshop.  Or or look for Dan Ewart on Instagram and see him rolling out pasta dough (he was a chef at a high end restaurant in Vancouver, BC).  I'm not trying to sell anything, if you like nice wood products, it's a treat for the eye.  Even I couldn't afford to buy any pieces.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leslie Gifford Cook said:

A few more of my turnings.  The darning mushroom is made from a piece of a lilac bush.  You should be able to just see the purple lines in it.  The sawdust smells a lot like the flowers.  The pendant and earrings are made from some small pieces of tulip wood.  The papers I used all came from Marisa Lerin's DigitalScrapbook.com. 

Day 2 - Masks-600.jpg

I hope you keep doing layouts of any sort long past this class so I can keep seeing your beautiful works.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Again...more AI Virgin Marys with a short paragraph about her using chat GPT

This did not come out the way I wanted this page to look but I posted it anyway.

Dat 2 Template Challenge BVM by the sea.jpg

The paragraph was very interesting.  Do you know why the cloak is usually blue?  I'm curious.

Edited by Susan Ewart

Lesson 6 - Jonah James is now 7 months. I hear he's ready to crawl! It seems I'll never run out of great-grands to celebrate! The font is Algerian, the blend mode for the textured background was Multiply, the kit is from Marisa Lerin called Oh, Baby, Baby. 

Just a minor correction. It seems I have the wrong baby on the left. That is actually Raja. I've changed the layout. Mea culpa!

TEMPLATE WORKSHOP 6 - JONAH JAMES_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
replaced incorrect photo
  • Like 4
  • Love 9

32 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Yikes Carole!  I just make a remark on a post that I thought was interesting and it has blocked it.  Did I say something offensive? Or is this the AI-police at work?

No worry. I think it is a little concerned with links. We had spammers post links, so it seems that some links are flagged, and I am sent a notification to approve or decline. If it is a legit post, I will obviously approve it!

• Thanks 1

So here goes my day 4, the harder seedlings are just starting to sprout, and much to my surprise so are the melon seeds that I threw in just for fun. The bigger picture is the neglected mess of a garden that we cleared ready for our vegetable garden. If I remember next time I will include a picture of how it stands now waiting for the seedlings to be sturdy enough to plant out.

image.jpeg.f263a65ea52024f94899a09e59726edd.jpeg

Edited by Harmony Birch
typo
  • Like 6
  • Love 7

Day 5 - I used the Diamond template but rearranged and resized the photos. Photos are from my daughter in law; the belts, symbol and belt tower is from Canva. The striped papers were made with cass stripe 2 script. The fonts are AgreloycAsparagus, an oft font and Btz Taekwondo from Creative Fabrica. It is a good thing that I have nexusfont since I don't have to install all my downloaded fonts, a folder that is added to everyday from the wonderful fonts that everyone posts here. The background is from Riley B graphics at Creative Fabrica, thanks to Susan's mention. 

dsThomas.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 6

Day six: The photos are mine, taken a couple of years ago. The papers and teacup are from the Afternoon Daffodil kit by Jessica Dunn - I changed the background paper by adding a pattern of daffodils to it from a png graphic from Freepik. The glitter bits are from somewhere else – I can’t remember where. The font is Righteous.

spring2 600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 12

@Cassel: Yope... lol......not really. Just for the plugins, some of them won't install in Corel after they've been installed in PS. So what I do is simple: I save a PSD version and open it in PS where I then use the plugins. Many thanks for this great workshop, all the fab videos and  your patience. 💓

3 hours ago, Cassel said:

No worry. I think it is a little concerned with links. We had spammers post links, so it seems that some links are flagged, and I am sent a notification to approve or decline. If it is a legit post, I will obviously approve it!

Thank you.  Make sure to tell me if I do overstep.  I did live 20+ years in Surrey, BC; nothing you say to me will phase or offend me.  

• Haha 4