Calendar Workshop 2024

Cassel

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

Cor Blimey!  I'm aghast  at the number of fonts some of you have.  I genuinely feel we need to set up a Fontaholic support group, where we can help you to refrain from clicking that font  download button.  I see now that Michele isn't an isolated case. I see this is a real problem for some and  it needs to be addressed immediately.   I'm with Rene on this one.  If I see a font which really catches my eye, I firstly double check to see if I have  something which is  almost identical, if I have, I leave it well alone.  I have my favourites, which I use repeatedly in  my  pages. I think my disposition may have something to do with it, as I don't like, clutter, whether it's in the kitchen, in the office, or  on my laptop.   I think I may have over dramatized a bit, but I couldn't resist.   🙂  

Heeeelp me....I need a 12 step program.  Too much choice means not being able to choose at all, I know it's an issue.  In some areas of my life I am analy over over organized and some, I'm a bloody mess. Your post gave me a good laugh at myself.  

• Haha 4

Just now, Susan Ewart said:

Heeeelp me....I need a 12 step program.  Too much choice means not being able to choose at all, I know it's an issue.  In some areas of my life I am analy over over organized and some, I'm a bloody mess. Your post gave me a good laugh at myself.  

Although I  made light of being a fontaholic, with a little banter, you took  it as it was intended.  I can also see it as an issue for some.   We'll  help as much as we can. Let us know the next time you get the urge to download a font,  we'll  try to find a way to restrain you from doing so. 😀 

• Haha 6

24 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

Although I  made light of being a fontaholic, with a little banter, you took  it as it was intended.  I can also see it as an issue for some.   We'll  help as much as we can. Let us know the next time you get the urge to download a font,  we'll  try to find a way to restrain you from doing so. 😀 

If I'm not mistaken, this might be categorized as "hoarding." I sail right past fonts on offer; too many limits my ability to choose. I just looked at my Nexus Font and it told me I had a total of 659 fonts. That's more than enough!

• Like 4
  • WOW 1

Lesson 2 - March & April

I am not keeping the backgrounds, they are stand-ins until I decide on a background I like.  Since it's Vintage cameras I'll look for vintage or grunge type backgrounds.  Hope it comes to me.  I centered the months on the date boxes and add days-of-the-week along to the top.  NOTE:  yes, I see I posted the wrong March month before I centered the months. Oops.  I'm leaving the boxes and will decide at the end if I changed them.  I might add text beside for information about the cameras in the photo.  And I might move the photos around to different months.  I did change the size of the first letter in the Month like Carole showed in one of the videos (I've gone back and got the early months caught up)

So many good ideas from everyone.  I will be trying them out along the way.  I especially liked moving the Month and adding days-of-the-week.  Thank you all who did that.    

sje-2024-Calendar-03-600.jpg

sje-2024-Calendar-04-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 6

35 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

If I'm not mistaken, this might be categorized as "hoarding." I sail right past fonts on offer; too many limits my ability to choose. I just looked at my Nexus Font and it told me I had a total of 659 fonts. That's more than enough!

Ah, I beat you to it, with my 1100-ish fonts in Nexus🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lesson 4 - July & August

Not exactly a vintage camera in these shots but accessories to the cameras are important too.  Okay, maybe not cases.  Who uses them?  I remember starting out and always used the case (on the SLR) and it would flop around and get in the way when I was taking pictures.  They don't even give you those types of cases anymore, heck Canon doesnt even give you lens hoods unless you buy the "L" series lenses - after you mortgage your house to buy them that is!.  The big case in the back is a polaroid 800 Land camera I forgot had.  I might photograph it and switch it out with the other Land camera in month 4.  I'm on a roll and having fun.  Just got a text to head to work 2 hours earlier so my fun is over.  Never enough time for PSP.  

Carole, as my teacher can you write me a note saying "Susan can't work today, she has important assignments to finish.

Oh, and a question:  In PSP 2022 if I open the calendar template and activate the Month vector it showed the size in points (32 points), and when I changed it to pixels is showed the correct pixel of 133. But, when I use PSP 2023 (which is what I'm using for the workshop) and activate the month vector is shows its in pixels and yet still says 32.  Clearly it's not that size.  Is it supposed to know and show the size in pixels once you double click on object ("T") layer inside the vector layer?  

sje-2024-Calendar-07-600.jpg

sje-2024-Calendar-08-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 5

After the "font" discussion back to my calendars and these months are almost done now. I didn't like the black date numbers and have changed them to a middle/dark grey color for all the months; the outlines of the boxes are very thin and I kept those in black to keep them visible. In the lesson from today was the option to color the boxes mentioned and I gave it a try but didn't like it. All my pages have a gradient and then some part of the boxes has a slightly different color than another part, which didn't look great even with the opacity lowered or a blendmode. But I wanted something to fill those boxes and it should not be very obvious too. After some trying different options I took the same photo as in the page and in the scripts I have inside PSP I choose the find all edges. I know how to do this manually, but the script is much quicker. After that I put the resulting image in the date boxes and played with the blendmodes and opacity until I liked what I got. More work now to do this for all the other months! 

September-600.jpg

Oktober-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 9

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

Lesson 4 - July & August

Not exactly a vintage camera in these shots but accessories to the cameras are important too.  Okay, maybe not cases.  Who uses them?  I remember starting out and always used the case (on the SLR) and it would flop around and get in the way when I was taking pictures.  They don't even give you those types of cases anymore, heck Canon doesnt even give you lens hoods unless you buy the "L" series lenses - after you mortgage your house to buy them that is!.  The big case in the back is a polaroid 800 Land camera I forgot had.  I might photograph it and switch it out with the other Land camera in month 4.  I'm on a roll and having fun.  Just got a text to head to work 2 hours earlier so my fun is over.  Never enough time for PSP.  

Carole, as my teacher can you write me a note saying "Susan can't work today, she has important assignments to finish.

Oh, and a question:  In PSP 2022 if I open the calendar template and activate the Month vector it showed the size in points (32 points), and when I changed it to pixels is showed the correct pixel of 133. But, when I use PSP 2023 (which is what I'm using for the workshop) and activate the month vector is shows its in pixels and yet still says 32.  Clearly it's not that size.  Is it supposed to know and show the size in pixels once you double click on object ("T") layer inside the vector layer?  

sje-2024-Calendar-07-600.jpg

sje-2024-Calendar-08-600.jpg

Susan good question, I noticed the same in 2023 but have been busy making the calendars. It doesn't seem to do any harm when I change the font and the size of that new font.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

After the "font" discussion back to my calendars and these months are almost done now. I didn't like the black date numbers and have changed them to a middle/dark grey color for all the months; the outlines of the boxes are very thin and I kept those in black to keep them visible. In the lesson from today was the option to color the boxes mentioned and I gave it a try but didn't like it. All my pages have a gradient and then some part of the boxes has a slightly different color than another part, which didn't look great even with the opacity lowered or a blendmode. But I wanted something to fill those boxes and it should not be very obvious too. After some trying different options I took the same photo as in the page and in the scripts I have inside PSP I choose the find all edges. I know how to do this manually, but the script is much quicker. After that I put the resulting image in the date boxes and played with the blendmodes and opacity until I liked what I got. More work now to do this for all the other months! 

September-600.jpg

Oktober-600.jpg

Nice work

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

56 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

September-600.jpg

Oktober-600.jpg

56 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

September-600.jpg

Oktober-600.jpg

• Like 1