Scrapbook Bootcamp - October 2023

Cassel

4 minutes ago, Doska St. said:

Hi,

It was a lot of fun, no problems arose this time, and I figured out a few things myself (I like to sharpen straight away when I reduce it). I just wish I had known where you can bend text, for example into a semicircle. The "Peak-Blues" kit is from Tiny Turtle, the photo is mine and the fonts are Oliver and Orlando Samuel.

large.DS-L7-Peacock_600_1023.jpg.98ada6caa1ae5904562ed81411e5a7a7.jpg

there are a few articles in the Blog about Text on Path - <  https://scrapbookcampus.com/?s=text+on+path,

there is also a button for pdf , you can click and safe it to your Tutorial folder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Day 11

Thank you, Carole, for a fun bootcamp! You rock!

A cat will always find an empty box and then...fill it...as Poppy is demonstrating in this photo...in January, 2012.

Fonts are Brush Script MT and Monotype Corsiva.

Brad in title: Sheila Reid, Furry Friends Kit, elements. Metal pawprint brad. Digital Scrapbooking.

Paw print: Christina C, Cattitude Kit, paw print 1. Digital Scrapbooking.

large.201217Cuteness600.jpg.93d4b5915cbe4c03ae6f697502b19a60.jpg

Edited by Bonnie Ballentine
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 8

@Barbara Caulton We have a workshop every month. Not always a Bootcamp, but you can still follow and learn from the other ones. In November, it will be the Calendar Workshop.

@Carolyn Rye Glad to see you are getting more comfortable with those lessons.

@Doska St. You have purchased the Basic Course so you have permanent access to it. It is not linked to the Bootcamp. As for the text on path, I didn't want to scare newcomers with that. There is one article on the blog to explain it, and we also had a Vector Workshop, this summer that had a lesson on it (those workshops are now inside the membership)

@Bonnie Ballentine I have considered organizing a live get-together (before that stupid COVID), but I live in an area that is not that "accessible" for people coming from all around. But, it is not completely off the table.

@Anja Pelzer Beautiful layouts to remember your sister.

@laurie solaas Beautiful photos and nicely resized! I might have added a shadow on the title for the "Sunset Cliff" layout, however.

@Jannette Nieuwboer Are you able to read the journaling when it is in full-size? I notice that fonts that have thin and thick lines are a little harder to read, and even more when you need to resize.

@Ann Seeber It is so fun to see Magic grow up, year after year.

@Henry Schellenberg You had cookies for dessert? Your black and white photos really do tell a story, so it is something nice to see!

@Angelo Cacciari You are doing great. If there is anything you are not sure, just post the question here. There is always someone ready to help.

• Thanks 4

Hello,

then I would like to thank you very much, Carole, for the excellent basic course in PSP, the good support and the really easy-to-understand videos, even if you are not fluent in English, but at least understand the basics, after so many years of scrapbooking 😉

We would also like to thank our dear fellow learners and advanced learners for their supportive help.

I will then continue with “Basic Scrap Course 1”
We'll see each other in the forum.

Bye bye, ciao, dag and Tschüß at boot camp

Doska

large.DS-TY-Carolecassel_1023.jpg.245e673626180342901437dde7070079.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 5

A TIP I LEARNED IN BOOTCAMP: Anja posted a layout showing a trip to a zoo and I was struck by the use of a rather, radically offset shadow that really enhanced the image of a stork. It also reminded me to always have the Shadow on Separate Layer box checked, in case I want to adjust a shadow further. Here's the illustration that I saw...

Anja-shadow.jpg

• Love 5

I didn't know you could put a shadow on a separate layer, but I can really see the possibilities to be able to move it about. Thanks for explaining how that shadow in the photo above was done.

Also, for anyone interested, Carole's Tips and Tricks book is listed on Amazon's Kindle Unlimited, for anyone who has that  subscription, as is the PSP Manual. l've already downloaded both, as I always have my Kindle nearby.  Thanks for letting me know about your book, Carole!

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Melanie Mitchell said:

I didn't know you could put a shadow on a separate layer, but I can really see the possibilities to be able to move it about. Thanks for explaining how that shadow in the photo above was done.

Also, for anyone interested, Carole's Tips and Tricks book is listed on Amazon's Kindle Unlimited, for anyone who has that  subscription, as is the PSP Manual. l've already downloaded both, as I always have my Kindle nearby.  Thanks for letting me know about your book, Carole!

Here's how you do it, Melanie. Under Effects/3D Effects/Drop Shadow on the toolbar.

shadow on a new layer.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Melanie Mitchell said:

The variety of shades men can make is the reason I changed to PSP from my former Photoshop program. After boot camp, I will delve further into shadows.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

A TIP I LEARNED IN BOOTCAMP: Anja posted a layout showing a trip to a zoo and I was struck by the use of a rather, radically offset shadow that really enhanced the image of a stork. It also reminded me to always have the Shadow on Separate Layer box checked, in case I want to adjust a shadow further. Here's the illustration that I saw...

Anja-shadow.jpg

I extracted the stork from another photo and saved it as a new image.
then inserted into my layout, duplicated and made the duplicate black. like a silhouette. I then adjusted the silhouette using the perspective tool and scaling tool. Reduced the opacity and used Gaussian blur several times

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Anja Pelzer said:

I extracted the stork from another photo and saved it as a new image.
then inserted into my layout, duplicated and made the duplicate black. like a silhouette. I then adjusted the silhouette using the perspective tool and scaling tool. Reduced the opacity and used Gaussian blur several times

Thanks for sharing your technique, Anja. Now I've learned something else new!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I'm having a similar conversation in the  String of words, where I referred to a masterclass called Pop Up, on perspective and shadowing.  Which covers how  Anja,  created a very realistic shadow on the stork.   There are other masterclasses covering perspective and shadowing, in varying degrees of advancement, to cater for everyone, from newbies to  seasoned PSPers.  

• Like 2

@Jannette Nieuwboer I find that is much easier to read!

@Emerald Jay I am glad you enjoyed the Bootcamp. Don't despair; there is a lot more coming to all in the Campus!

@Doska St. We will surely see more of your projects in our regular threads!

@Ann Seeber I only put shadows on the same layer in exceptional situations. Otherwise, it is ALWAYS as a separate layer. That offers more flexibility even if I just change my mind!

@Melanie Mitchell That book has been quite useful to many of our members here! I am proud of it too!

@laurie solaas A refresher is always available in the Campus. At any time, just ask 🙂

@Anja Pelzer Making a silhouette will do the same as a shadow with no blur and no offset. In fact, the shadow will look like a silhouette in one step.

If you have not posted your projects, maybe you were just practicing on your own? Remember that if you post 4 of the 5 projects by Monday night, your name will be entered for the random draws. You still have 3 days to catch up if you are still a bit behind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1