What are you working on in October (2023)?

Cassel

Date-10-2023.jpg

It is a new month and new projects.

Show off what you are working on in October be it a scrapbook page, a collage, a tutorial, or anything else you want.

We are curious and want to see, learn, and get inspired.

These threads are quickly becoming a fantastic source of inspiration, support, and friendship. Keep them coming!

Remember to size down your image to about 600x600 pixels and save it in .jpg format before posting it (if you are creating a double page, you can resize it to 1000 pixels in width if you don't want to post the pages separately).

Here are a few guidelines for everyone:

• when you post a project, give as much information on your sources or techniques used. It will help others who are curious and would like to do the same.
  • if someone uses something that you like on their page, ask where they got it. Sometimes, you can go get it too and it will be better quality than trying to extract it (as it would have been resized to post in the forum anyway).
  • if it is something that they did from scratch, ask how they did it. It would be so helpful to everyone!
  • if you like a photo and would like to “play with it”, ALWAYS ask permission. Sometimes, there are some limitations and the person is not allowed to let others use it. Don’t get them in trouble. Usually, people are happy to say yes (if they can) when you ask politely. And if you get permission, you might get a better-quality image than the resized image anyway.

Happy October! I love Halloween, and wild cats. Here's my October Wild Cat Calendar featuring Sushi, the Fishing Cat. There's a full-size version on our Facebook page that you can print @ 11" x 8.5". I do one for my refrigerator door. 

LAYOUT DETAILS:

Info from: SMITHSONIAN'S NATIONAL ZOO  Fishing cat | Smithsonian's National Zoo

2023 Calendar Template from Cassel

Fish and Halloween Witch illustration - Pngtree

Title font under photo and journaling- Agency

Fishing Cat photo of the recent rescue, Sushi, from The Wild Cat Sanctuary in Sandstone, MN

I find it hard to read the journaling on the reduced-size version here so I'm posting it separately:

"The Fishing Cat is one of the largest of the  small cats. This robust, deep‐chested cat has a body length up to 45 inches and stands over 16 inches at shoulder height. The adult male weighs up to 31 pounds. As their name suggests, they swim, dive and fish for food. Their body is ideally designed for under water movement and their toes are partially webbed. These cats "fish" at the edge of bodies of water. They appear to scoop their prey from the depths of the water and have also been observed playing with fish in shallow water.  Fishing cats are native to southern Asia.  Their conservation status is listed as VULNERABLE, mainly because of habitat loss due to encroaching civilization."

2023 OCTOBER WILD CAT CALENDAR-THE FISHING CAT_600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 9

Carefully choosing one of my photos for the background, I then  added some clipart to create a card. The prints in the snow are  either from the white tailed hares or other resident four legged creatures.  Placing the dog  where some print are visible.  No one  would be any the wiser who made those prints.

Xmas FFion card (1).jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 2
  • Love 11

Here is another one.  The sign post  was ideal to be placed in the small snow drift., rabbits in close proximity to the white tailed hares prints, same for the deer, as  Antelope had passed through the  yard earlier that day. With the right photos, they work well with clip art to create a page. 

Xmas Merryn half fold.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 9

Sue your little girls will be very happy with their calendars!   Your cards are so sweet and show that clipart can work beautifully with photo backgrounds. For me it's a pity that we have so little snow the last decades. So no snowy photos for me to use unless I can get some from the parents in law of my daughter. Love what you did.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Happy October! I love Halloween, and wild cats. Here's my October Wild Cat Calendar featuring Sushi, the Fishing Cat. There's a full-size version on our Facebook page that you can print @ 11" x 8.5". I do one for my refrigerator door. 

LAYOUT DETAILS:

Info from: SMITHSONIAN'S NATIONAL ZOO  Fishing cat | Smithsonian's National Zoo

2023 Calendar Template from Cassel

Fish and Halloween Witch illustration - Pngtree

Title font under photo and journaling- Agency

Fishing Cat photo of the recent rescue, Sushi, from The Wild Cat Sanctuary in Sandstone, MN

I find it hard to read the journaling on the reduced-size version here so I'm posting it separately:

"The Fishing Cat is one of the largest of the  small cats. This robust, deep‐chested cat has a body length up to 45 inches and stands over 16 inches at shoulder height. The adult male weighs up to 31 pounds. As their name suggests, they swim, dive and fish for food. Their body is ideally designed for under water movement and their toes are partially webbed. These cats "fish" at the edge of bodies of water. They appear to scoop their prey from the depths of the water and have also been observed playing with fish in shallow water.  Fishing cats are native to southern Asia.  Their conservation status is listed as VULNERABLE, mainly because of habitat loss due to encroaching civilization."

2023 OCTOBER WILD CAT CALENDAR-THE FISHING CAT_600.jpg

That's one very pretty kitty. Didn't know about it before, so thanks.

Edited by Julie Magerka
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Here is another one.  The sign post  was ideal to be placed in the small snow drift., rabbits in close proximity to the white tailed hares prints, same for the deer, as  Antelope had passed through the  yard earlier that day. With the right photos, they work well with clip art to create a page. 

Xmas Merryn half fold.jpg

So clever the way you combine your photos with clipart. Impressive and creative.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If anybody has Filter Forge, see a couple of my filters. They are still there 10-15 years later! (This idea is from today’s Filter Forge Masterclass - I bought it and was surprised to see my old account was still viable!)

https://www.filterforge.com/filters/9010.html   And 

https://www.filterforge.com/filters/9012.html

They each have over two thousand downloads and work with FF 2.0 and higher.

• Like 2
  • WOW 4

40 minutes ago, Suzy said:

If anybody has Filter Forge, see a couple of my filters. They are still there 10-15 years later! (This idea is from today’s Filter Forge Masterclass - I bought it and was surprised to see my old account was still viable!)

That is fantastic!!! You have played "under the hood" and created some filters!!! Way to go!!!

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Cassel said:

That is fantastic!!! You have played "under the hood" and created some filters!!! Way to go!!!

May I ask what this saying means???  "played under the hood"? Some people asked that on the internet as well. There were more answers. "The Wizard of Oz was mentioned". Saying "behind the curtains". Wikipedia told, "Batman Under the Red Hood". The word "hood" has different meanings. a neighbourHOOD, a cookerHOOD, Robin HOOD. A hoodie. And more. It makes me dizzy a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

May I ask what this saying means???  "played under the hood"? Some people asked that on the internet as well. There were more answers. "The Wizard of Oz was mentioned". Saying "behind the curtains". Wikipedia told, "Batman Under the Red Hood". The word "hood" has different meanings. a neighbourHOOD, a cookerHOOD, Robin HOOD. A hoodie. And more. It makes me dizzy a bit. 

Jannette, in the US the "hood" is the covering for the engine on an automobile. In the UK it's called the "bonnet." The phrase "played under the hood" would refer to the user working on the engine with a car, or in this case, creating their own customized filter in Filter Forge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah, Jannette, I am so sorry this keeps happening!  We use so much slang, I don’t see how any of the Europeans can figure out what we’re saying! (And that includes the English!)

Ann has the right of it. It just means to get into the inner-workings. Under the hood of a car is the inner workings of the car. (However “behind the curtain” also showed the inner workings of the Wizard in Oz, so maybe not much different, afterall.)

I often will delete a word or change a phrase when I post here, thinking it could be confusing, but I don’t always think about it.
Just keep in mind we admire you all, and could NEVER do what you do! Google translate, or not!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Suzy said:

Ah, Jannette, I am so sorry this keeps happening!  We use so much slang, I don’t see how any of the Europeans can figure out what we’re saying! (And that includes the English!)

Ann has the right of it. It just means to get into the inner-workings. Under the hood of a car is the inner workings of the car. (However “behind the curtain” also showed the inner workings of the Wizard in Oz, so maybe not much different, afterall.)

I often will delete a word or change a phrase when I post here, thinking it could be confusing, but I don’t always think about it.
Just keep in mind we admire you all, and could NEVER do what you do! Google translate, or not!

It just means to get into the inner workings.

I was a bit confused cause we have a saying that looks like it but with another meaning.  'Onder hoede' means in Dutch under protecting or monitoring. We have another saying that says = 'under the cap of' which means secretly. Buying under the cap means in Dutch, without taxes. I think that the Dutch 'a look behind the scenes' comes the closest. There are so many words and sayings with hood, cap, and hat. Playing under one hat means = Being in league with others. If we delve into this, we will come across a lot. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

It just means to get into the inner workings.

I was a bit confused cause we have a saying that looks like it but with another meaning.  'Onder hoede' means in Dutch under protecting or monitoring. We have another saying that says = 'under the cap of' which means secretly. Buying under the cap means in Dutch, without taxes. I think that the Dutch 'a look behind the scenes' comes the closest. There are so many words and sayings with hood, cap, and hat. Playing under one hat means = Being in league with others. If we delve into this, we will come across a lot. 

Maybe we need a new topic for idioms. LOL J/K

• Haha 4

Fun with clip art! The background is from years ago so I don't know where it came from, but I'm sure it was free. The gnomes are from CF (I love gnomes and d/l them all). The bee is by AnnieC from a Scrap Designers blog train a few years ago. The fonts are a duo called Bee Kind, also from CF. 

large.FABDLHoneyCelebrationDay!600.jpg.4759d0c584e8b553bb8c24b3711eb435.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 10

This all started with me wanting to show that moon and branches photo of mine through a window.  It grabbed me and took me along for the ride for the rest of it.  The room, ghost, pumpkin, cups, and bird were modified from Creative Fabrica downloads. The sprites or whatever they are were made with various paint brushed such as smoke etc.  I have been playing with this off and on all day and had a blast.. 

moon branches 6.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 8

16 hours ago, Suzy said:

I had a great deal of difficulty understanding the Canadians when I first moved here.  Especially when they spoke, as they leave out letters.  They don't' say Toronto, but Torono. Under the bonnet is the engine of the car.  I'd often say, he's tinkering under the bonnet. In other words working on the engine.  When the settlers arrived in Johnson in 1621, they came from all over Europe, with the intentions of starting a fresh. They wanted to leave behind the turbulent history, of inter country fighting dating back hundred and hundreds of years. Border wars etc.  They adopted the English Language, as their primary language, but  Greek and Latin makes up a great deal  of the English Language.  So, they decided to change many of the words. Changing a letter or omitting a letter in a word.  Such as Tyre (tire) Colour (color).  It didn’t stop there, they would change words like bonnet and boot, to hood and trunk. That is why we have (old) English  and American English. North America has done it’s best to eradicate  everything related to the   settlers native  countries.  They believed that a continent like North America would be untouchable by invading countries.  It was true. North Americans have led sheltered lives.  Since WW2,  the US has instigated   over 200 wars in  European and Asian Countries. Including dropping 2 atomic bombs.  Russia has been involved in a total of 4 wars by invitation of the  respective invaded countries. How the US has changed since those first settlers,  they wanted a peaceful new life.

My mother lost 2 of her eldest brothers to  WW2, and a cousin, my dad lost an uncle.  Today I say to myself, what did they die for.  Hollywood has portrayed the US as the heroes of WW2.   Not true, Russia was the primary army that defeated Hitler and the Nazi. With the  highest mortality numbers.  I can remember to this day, how my gran spoke kindly and fondly about the Russians.  As they were allies of GB and the US.  I knew the second the house speaker of the Canadian  parliament, introduced a Ukrainian Canadian  officer who fought against the Russians in WW2, that he  was a SS Nazi of the worst kind.  It worries me, that if the neocons of the US government, and governments around the collective western countries aren’t reined in, I fear for what is in  store for the future of generations to come. 

I've gone off on a tangent here.  It can be deleted  if inappropriate

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2023 at 8:54 PM, Suzy said:

Cool and thank you.  downloaded!

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

I had a great deal of difficulty understanding the Canadians when I first moved here.  Especially when they spoke, as they leave out letters.  They don't' say Toronto, but Torono. Under the bonnet is the engine of the car.  I'd often say, he's tinkering under the bonnet. In other words working on the engine.  When the settlers arrived in Johnson in 1621, they came from all over Europe, with the intentions of starting a fresh. They wanted to leave behind the turbulent history, of inter country fighting dating back hundred and hundreds of years. Border wars etc.  They adopted the English Language, as their primary language, but  Greek and Latin makes up a great deal  of the English Language.  So, they decided to change many of the words. Changing a letter or omitting a letter in a word.  Such as Tyre (tire) Colour (color).  It didn’t stop there, they would change words like bonnet and boot, to hood and trunk. That is why we have (old) English  and American English. North America has done it’s best to eradicate  everything related to the   settlers native  countries.  They believed that a continent like North America would be untouchable by invading countries.  It was true. North Americans have led sheltered lives.  Since WW2,  the US has instigated   over 200 wars in  European and Asian Countries. Including dropping 2 atomic bombs.  Russia has been involved in a total of 4 wars by invitation of the  respective invaded countries. How the US has changed since those first settlers,  they wanted a peaceful new life.

My mother lost 2 of her eldest brothers to  WW2, and a cousin, my dad lost an uncle.  Today I say to myself, what did they die for.  Hollywood has portrayed the US as the heroes of WW2.   Not true, Russia was the primary army that defeated Hitler and the Nazi. With the  highest mortality numbers.  I can remember to this day, how my gran spoke kindly and fondly about the Russians.  As they were allies of GB and the US.  I knew the second the house speaker of the Canadian  parliament, introduced a Ukrainian Canadian  officer who fought against the Russians in WW2, that he  was a SS Nazi of the worst kind.  It worries me, that if the neocons of the US government, and governments around the collective western countries aren’t reined in, I fear for what is in  store for the future of generations to come. 

I dont have a problem with what you have written.  A lot of this I didnt know, some it rather shocking.  

6 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

I had a great deal of difficulty understanding the Canadians when I first moved here.  Especially when they spoke, as they leave out letters.  They don't' say Toronto, but Torono. Under the bonnet is the engine of the car.  I'd often say, he's tinkering under the bonnet. In other words working on the engine.  When the settlers arrived in Johnson in 1621, They adopted the English Language, as their primary language, but  Greek and Latin makes up a great deal  of the English Language.  So, they decided to change many of the words. Changing a letter or omitting a letter in a word.  Such as Tyre (tire) Colour (color).  It didn’t stop there, they would change words like bonnet and boot, to hood and trunk. That is why we have (old) English  and American English. North America has done it’s best to eradicate  everything related to the   settlers native  countries.  They believed that a continent like North America would be untouchable by invading countries.  It was true. North Americans have led sheltered lives.  Since WW2,  the US has instigated   over 200 wars in  European and Asian Countries. Including dropping 2 atomic bombs.  Russia has been involved in a total of 4 wars by invitation of the  respective invaded countries. How the US has changed since those first settlers,  they wanted a peaceful new life.

quote:   they came from all over Europe, with the intentions of starting a fresh. They wanted to leave behind the turbulent history, of inter country fighting dating back hundred and hundreds of years. Border wars etc.:  But they left for a country where there were also many problems between black and white north and south. Until now. 

That is an interesting subject you mentioned. Another hobby of mine is Genealogy. We can go back to 1700 and sometimes a bit in the 1600. What strikes me is that old English and old Dutch are very similar as if they have the same background. Spelling was free at that time that's why everyone had their own way of writing, but then also its own development. 

As far as the wars are concerned, it was very simulated by the Romans. In their view, the more problems they had, the better because then they would cooperate less and rebel. The Romans were the second to last world power in Nebuchadnezzar's famous dream. for those who enjoy reading the Bible can be found in the first chapters of the Bible book of Daniel. All those world powers had the same goal; namely improving the world through war and thus creating a better world. (This is their statement, not mine) At the cost of many human lives. Until now. 

Edited by Jannette Nieuwboer
  • Like 4