Vector Workshop 2023

Cassel

53 minutes ago, Anita Wyatt said:

I am still having problems with Lesson 2. I follow all the  steps from the video, get the rounded corners on the rectangle, click on apply, then activate the pen tool. make sure I am in edit mode, if not I click on it,  and make sure I have both of my object layers selected then  right click - convert to path. Still in edit mode I add a new node, but then I cannot see where I can extend that  node. It does not give me that small icon that looks like the move tool. It shows up on the other nodes where I rounded the corners. Now sometimes I get a new layer titled  New Path. Somehow I must be missing something.

Adding to above message on 7-21-23:

I am thinking of giving up on the vectors. After several days and many hours re-watching the video and re-reading the Guide Book,  I still cannot manage to extend that node on the side of the rectangle to create a new shape. I must be doing something wrong. When I add a new node I do not get the arms to extend it. I can think of several nice shapes I could make, but I guess if I cannot finish Lesson 2,  I probably will have a hard time with the other lessons. Also, every time I open a new rectangle I have to set the horizontal and vertical to 0.00. it has been frustrating. Carole you mentioned you set those to default as there is a glitch in PSP 23. How would I set these to default? It sure would save time so that I do not have to do it manually each time after  I rounded the corners of the rectangle.

I hope you pull through Anita.  We are all cheering you on.  Once I got past the first 3 lessons it feels much better, and a bit less scary.  Take a breather and do something unrelated to reset your brain and Carole will get you on the right path (no Vector pun intended).  That is why I called them Vexing Vectors.  I had to revert to 2022 because I had other buggy issues with 2023.  Like I've said, if you are fighting your PSP while trying to learn it's only a lesson in frustration and futility.  I have confidence 2024 version will be bug free (I hope some Corel programmers are reading this...BIG hint hint on that hope).

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Susan Ewart said:

(I hope some Corel programmers are reading this...BIG hint hint on that hope).

I doubt the team has time to bother reading a forum from a "scrapbooking" site! ?

The best is that they hear me when I complain! ? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Lesson 5 Text on a path. First attempt the font distorted too much as I had too wobbly a path. Carole did warn us to start with about that but I found I could go back to the path with the pen tool & Edit/Merge to get remove some of the nodes that were distorting the text.

Lesson5-PoppyTex_V2t.jpg

Lesson5-PoppyText.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, Anita Wyatt said:

I am still having problems with Lesson 2. I follow all the  steps from the video, get the rounded corners on the rectangle, click on apply, then activate the pen tool. make sure I am in edit mode, if not I click on it,  and make sure I have both of my object layers selected then  right click - convert to path. Still in edit mode I add a new node, but then I cannot see where I can extend that  node. It does not give me that small icon that looks like the move tool. It shows up on the other nodes where I rounded the corners. Now sometimes I get a new layer titled  New Path. Somehow I must be missing something.

Adding to above message on 7-21-23:

I am thinking of giving up on the vectors. After several days and many hours re-watching the video and re-reading the Guide Book,  I still cannot manage to extend that node on the side of the rectangle to create a new shape. I must be doing something wrong. When I add a new node I do not get the arms to extend it. I can think of several nice shapes I could make, but I guess if I cannot finish Lesson 2,  I probably will have a hard time with the other lessons. Also, every time I open a new rectangle I have to set the horizontal and vertical to 0.00. it has been frustrating. Carole you mentioned you set those to default as there is a glitch in PSP 23. How would I set these to default? It sure would save time so that I do not have to do it manually each time after  I rounded the corners of the rectangle.

Anita, I am in the exact same boat as you. Still stuck on Lesson 2. I gave up several days ago and focused on other things. I think my brain needs a reset. I started out by going back to PSP2022 because '23 was very buggy with layers. I never had  software problems with '22 so my vector woes must be me, not Corel, though this is the first workout it's getting with vectors, so we'll see. I intend to try a leaf or two and see what happens....

• Like 4

Lesson 5 Text around Circle. There is something odd with the balance of the centred top and bottom texts as the top one is too high on the left and the bottom one starts too low on the left.

The first font didn't work too well so I changed it.

When you convert the circle to a path at the start is it the Elipse tool you are in or the Text tool? I tried the Text tool and it didn't work so then had to go back to the elipse tool on the circle layer. Definitely getting trickier but the effects are worth it.

Lesson5-SunflowerCircleText.jpg

Lesson5-SunflowerCircleText-V2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 5

5 minutes ago, fiona cook said:

Lesson 5 Text around Circle. There is something odd with the balance of the centred top and bottom texts as the top one is too high on the left and the bottom one starts too low on the left.

When you center the text, it will be based on where you ANCHORED (meaning where you clicked) so if you clicked more on the left or the right of the middle, it can happen. Often, there is a node on top that is kind of in the way. One way to fix that is to move your text. Check this article with the illustration 

8 minutes ago, fiona cook said:

When you convert the circle to a path at the start is it the Elipse tool you are in or the Text tool?

If you change for the Text tool, it will think that you want to add text. Stay with the Ellipse tool to convert to a path.

17 hours ago, Donna Sillia said:

I forgot to make the hole for the coffee or tea, but it is getting easier. I had the nodes set to medium and changed them to small, and a lot of problems vanished. I also changed the DPI on my mouse and lowered the speed. The mouse is no longer jumping around so much that the symbols changed so fast that I couldn't grab them. I forgot the second hole, and there are a few things I could change. Since I saved the original vector, I will be able to do that. I am not happy with the jagged edges on the saucer.

I went back and reworked the saucer. It took me a while to figure out how to do it.

dsflowercupfixed.jpg

Edited by Donna Sillia
  • Like 8
  • Love 6

Text on a curve is something I use often, so no problems here besides selecting which photo to use. To make it more like a card I added a frame from my stash and I think that came from Creative Fabrica but quite some time ago. Font is Dreamy Snowland and I like this font for winter pages.

I was glad with the second assignment because I once made stamps that way but I forgot how to do the text in the other direction and I couldn't find in all my paperwork, if I had the instructions somewhere. What I did wrong when I tried to do this earlier, well simply the first step: convert to path. I'll probably never forget this anymore and now I have the guidebook where I underlined those steps in red. The font here is Chalk and Friends Four. The photo in the ellips is from a plaquette at the visitors center in that area.

Vector Workshop Day5a-600.jpg

Vector Workshop Day5b-600.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 9

19 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Text on a curve is something I use often, so no problems here besides selecting which photo to use. To make it more like a card I added a frame from my stash and I think that came from Creative Fabrica but quite some time ago. Font is Dreamy Snowland and I like this font for winter pages.

I was glad with the second assignment because I once made stamps that way but I forgot how to do the text in the other direction and I couldn't find in all my paperwork, if I had the instructions somewhere. What I did wrong when I tried to do this earlier, well simply the first step: convert to path. I'll probably never forget this anymore and now I have the guidebook where I underlined those steps in red. The font here is Chalk and Friends Four. The photo in the ellips is from a plaquette at the visitors center in that area.

Vector Workshop Day5a-600.jpg

Vector Workshop Day5b-600.jpg

Beautiful Corrie, that wil make a nice card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My lesson 5 result. I had more trouble finding a suitable image and then PSP decided to crash half way through. The Graphics Fairy image had a blank banner so I drew a line for my text. Despite the minor PSP problems today, I really love the results. Anyway, here they are.

Vector WorkshopLesson 5-1-SGH-21-07-2023.jpg

Vector WorkshopLesson 5-SGH-21-07-2023.jpg

Edited by Sheila Hogg
  • Like 6
  • Love 8

13 minutes ago, Linda J Walker said:

Lesson 5 video will not play for me. But it looks like nobody else has had trouble with it? And I can't download the guidebook either ?

What browser are you using?

all the samples sent in are wonderful!  wowzer!

Here are mine from lesson 5.  I love that we keep practicing similar steps.  I've done text on curves many times but could rarely remember how to reverse the text.  With so much practice I actually may not need a tutorial for that now.. woohoo

VL5-1textOnCurvve.jpg  

VL5-2textOnCurvveReversed.jpg

Edited by Deana Davis
  • Like 7
  • Haha 4
  • Love 4

I hit a snag on Day 4. One cup came out OK. On the second, the cutout part has me stymied. When I do "CTRL-A," the nodes are highlighted, but the selection box does not appear. If I continue, "Paste" is not an option, only "Paste as New Selection Layer," which puts it on a separate layer. I have started from scratch several times, hoping to figure out where I went wrong.

I ran into the same problem with the first example but was able to get it to work after a little trial and error. Unfortunately, I have no idea what I did differently.

GNL-Day4-Cup01_600.jpg

GNL-Day4-Cup02_600_Problem.jpg

• Like 11
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Anita, I am in the exact same boat as you. Still stuck on Lesson 2. I gave up several days ago and focused on other things. I think my brain needs a reset. I started out by going back to PSP2022 because '23 was very buggy with layers. I never had  software problems with '22 so my vector woes must be me, not Corel, though this is the first workout it's getting with vectors, so we'll see. I intend to try a leaf or two and see what happens....

Skip to lesson 5, it's Text on a Path.  I think you've done that before.  that might get you in win-win state of mind.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

O.M.G.  Several years ago, maybe 10, I needed to know how to do the text on the top and bottom of a circle.  I did end up finding instructions on YouTube that got me the results I needed but they were convoluted.  

Maybe PSP has changed a lot since then, but your instructions are so much more clear and more understandable and I sure do wish I had known you all these years.   

Only one question.  For your text, you use a fill instead of an stroke.  Why did you make that choice?  Whenever I have used text, unless I want some sort of fancy fill, I've always just chosen stroke and then increased the size of the stroke if I needed to.  I'm curious about choosing to use a fill and no stroke instead of the other way around.

Thanks.

• Like 3

My niece was kind enough to send me some of her engagement photos. I had no problems with the text, but it took me forever to decide how to treat the photos. I made an ellipse and used the Vector Tube for the hearts. I also used the cass edge brushes. I had to go back to add the shadows that I forgot initially.

dsengagement.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 5