Greeting Card Workshop - 2022

Cassel

This is a great class.  I'm not going to be posting much but I wanted to mention two things that help me.  I don't have a great printer so I avoid have blocks of solid colors.  I can't afford a new printer so I adjust to what I have and it works well enough but it does mean sometimes have to accept a white background, which I'm fine with.  But I suggest looking at your card and judging if your printer is providing the quality is good enough for your color scheme.  I cannot, for example, print in large areas of black because I end up with streaking. I don't care for my day-to-day prints, but I want celebration cards to look a little nicer.  I buy card stock that is scored down the center so I don't have to worry about figuring out where the middle fold goes.  I'm lazy that way. Some of the stock has a slight blush of color or texture would keeps it from looking too stark.

One thing I do on my cards (and I do very few these days) is  I add a little graphic and indicate the year and occasion, or the date, because sometimes people keep the card and like that added touch.  As I said, I don't do many cards or graphics these days so it's more something I did in the past than I do now.

Thank you for all the good information.  I forget some of these "tricks" to make ribbons, scallops, etc. so I am happy to see how you create the effect.

I am so happy the Beautiful Lady said my name :)    ty I am feeling more confidant its all the tweaks and stuff

you have to figure out.   Loving this Plus I got Called.

When I was little Ild run and turn on the tv and that Teacher never seen me though her Mirror

I  LOVE THIS PLACE  AND EVERYONE.

LOL, Cindy!  That's how I feel too!

Dianne, I wanted to comment on your printer observation - and thank you for reminding me!  I have had many, many printers in my time, and I haven't had a one that printed blocks of color well reliably.  And your little graphic is adorable and a special fillip.

All, I am so impressed - you have outdone yourselves and it shows! I would be happy to mail out any of these cards!

What is the Gallery how do we get to it please Carole

Thank you you for your comment,  there is 2 background pages blended in one, then there are 21 elements on different layers , one being the scalloped edge from the original template all layers blended , some layers are duplicated like the bows which are on 3 layers. xx

Great entries by all, it is a pleasure to browse through them!

Here is my day 2 and I stick to christmas cards, although I can imagine the little squares filled with flowers for a birthday card and I will certainly make some too. As I don't have enough winterphotos with snow I decided to use christmas elements from my stash and gave the squares a very small border to let them stand out a bit better. The font is Christmas Holland, very appropriate as my text is in Dutch. I made the back as well, but Carole said to upload just the front.

Cupcakes are from Chantahlia.com. Square and ribbon backgrounds are from background papers that I have downloaded(I wish I had kept a note of where). Font is Flamingo Shadow. I can't resist bevel and shadow. All the bevels were made using layer styles. The card background is a gradient. I also made the candles and flame.

Day2. I'm afraid I didn't stick rigidly to the template. I used a brush on the top ribbon. I omit the border around the page. I used one of Carole's corner punches. I use them a lot, as I love them. They are so versatile. Created a simple frame around the main photo. My own photo and word art.

large.372108444_Day2EasterGreetingGoslin

Bill (#86487), that looks just like a postcard! And yes, on Lesson 2, you get the tutorial to create a "back".

Susan (#86488), very unusual colors for a Christmas card, but definitely effective. I hope you have a great printer OR you send ecards with that much black! (#86489), that is a wonderful photo you took. Definitely worth using in a card for everyone to see!

Anita (#86494), beautiful card. I think you will have some happy recipients!

John (#86500), great start if this is a first project for you. May I suggest you try black shadows instead of white shadows? Although white is ok, give a try to black ones as it will add to the realism.

Sue (#86522), it is a fun detail that you have used for the word Greetings. I was hoping for a way to automatically add images from the gallery to the forum (and vice versa), but it is not possible. I wish! (#86573), you are ahead with Easter! The corner punches is part of an upcoming tutorial ;)

Kasany (#86528), considering that the image is fairly light, you might want to consider adding a shadow layer, even if it is not a "realistic" shadow, it would make your text stand out, a bit like in this article.

James (#86529), great choice of image! This is just the first of many cards, I hope! (#86559), you are more than allowed to modify the templates and NOT follow the tutorials to the letter! It is even encouraged! That is a good idea to include the photo of the birthday girl.

Dianne (#86531), you have a very good point about printing. Thank you for your insight. If you want to use the templates given, you can always work only on a front cover and use them as ecards!

Trish (#86540), it is a cute idea to add something other than just a solid color to the back.

Louyse (#86543), this is such a cute birthday card! good work.

Lois (#86547), welcome to the workshop. Nice card to get you started. Looking forward to the next ones.

Lyn (#86551), that is a perfect timing to create several cards for those recipients.

Sheila (#86553), a simple yet very elegant card!

Anne (#86556), it almost looks like an ice cream cone!

Corrie (#86558), great to see a card that is a different theme than mine.

Bonnie (#86561), once you follow the tutorial closely, I am sure you will fly on your own quickly!

Gerry (#86564), that is the best way to customize a card to the recipient's preferences and interests.

Donna (#86570), that gradient is very effective. I like those different cupcakes.

Linda (#86578), that is a perfect theme for the week. I had not even thought about it (our Thanksgiving in Canada was in October)

As mentioned in the thread, it is amazing to see how varied the projects are, even though they started with the same template! Keep them coming.

Oh, shoot! I missed Carole!  I wanted her to see my keylines from the Q&A Session!!!

Here is my Day 2. I made it into a thank you card. Although I *did* make a border, it didn't fit with my vision, and likewise the thicker ribbon border, so I eliminated both.  My idea on this is to maybe make it a quarter fold card (thanks for the name for that, Susan Ewart!)  So I left some room to allow for the smaller size.