Template Workshop 2022

Cassel

I used the template given and the materials given although I did change the colors of them.  Snow is a little hard to come by down here in Florida and not one of my favorite seasons ... so I stuck to themes I like, boats and sailing ... used the adornments in the kit as well, just added some little hearts.  I kept mine colorful exactly as you would see a day on the sea there.  That is the Margaret Todd ... a four masted sailing off the dock in front of The Bar Harbor Inn, otherwise known as "The Gray Lady".  Gorgeous spot and no matter how often I get there, I can't wait to go back. :)

Hi, My first template is a bit abstract, using a photo I took of a dandelion seed head. I wanted the shadow to be quite soft so exaggerated it and applied the blend mode 'Lighten' which softened it some more.

All the patterns are from Digital Scrapbook. The cream pattern (Dandelion paper by Sheila Reid) I used for the background as well as for the bubbles and adjusted the contrast levels as in the lesson.

The rectangle is  a close up of some wool.

Typeface is 'The Madelin'

Here's my first page.  Now that I've practiced the tools & techniques, I'll play with the color and texture combinations, maybe using more colors from the photo although these are her favorite colors!  This little angel will be 20 in June!  How time flies!

Found it interesting. Usually I make the place for the photo a mask, but this was interesting. I did follow the tutorial. Couldn't make up my mind - I think the bubbles were my stumbling block. I tried doing a winter (Christmas) theme, but it really didn't work. Finally decided to go with the bubbles and do a summer pool theme. So this is the result.

Diamond Alternate ... was browsing Creative Fabrica for some cool FREE graphics and found a whole set of bee items well back in the archives.  I decided to use that.  Two of my favorite things, bees AND sunflowers.  Used Cassel's honeycomb maker for the back.  Pretty simple but a big splash of color!

There was something very useful today that I hope to use when I can scrap again. That would be the lowering of the opacity of the photo to see the circle underneath it. I normally don't do it that way but I can see where it would help with my work flow.

If Carole doesn't mind I'd like to share something I do when resizing photos. First of all, I take all photos with a regular camera and the size of the photo is larger than the 3600x3600 workspace. So I have to resize all photos to even begin. However, I use the Resize command with the setting as 50 or 60% and only resize the current layer. That gets it to a manageable size that I can then use the Pick Tool for any further resizing.  Another thing I do so that I don't have the issue that Carole had with the photo being outside the canvas is to use the selection tool (rectangle) and select any portion of the photo that would be outside the canvas. I then delete that area and continue on with the same process Carole used.  I just have always found that it is easier to do that than to try correcting after the fact.

Looking forward to the next lesson!

A too learned something new: lowering the opacity on the photo to see the form below. Most of the time I either use clip to it or make a mask, but this is simple and like Rene I cut of the exces before I continue with the rest of the layout.

Here are the templates for today, the regular which will be my coverpage for this series and the diamond-extra for the story of my balloon adventure. I used a minikit from Marisa Lerin (digitalscrapbook.com) that was a freebie some time ago. I downloaded it just for this purpose because I was planning to do a project about my balloon trip. I lowered the opacity of some of the papers because they are a bit to colorful for my tast and I made a new flairbutton because I didn't like the one in the kit.