Story Time Workshop - 2024

Cassel

I had time to play this morning while electricians were here ... fixing of all things ... the pool!  LOL  The alternating color title I found so much easier than the two papers one, which I WILL play with again later.  I'm glad to have a pool this year as it seems every beach for miles around me has had shark sightings and closures.  Some of those sharks even have drones following their journey.  I saw JAWS once many years ago!  That's enough to convince me to stay in the pool!  We have always had sharks out to sea, but as our waters warm in the Northeast, it seems the sharks are acclimating, too.  It is their home, so I guess I will let them have it.  We have had whales, too, deliberately attacking boats ... one close to here that threw the two men aboard into the water.  Yikes.  Scary.  They were fine, but the boat I bet wasn't.  Yup, POOL sounds like a great idea! 

Image42.jpg

• WOW 1
  • Love 7

12 hours ago, Cassel said:

I am happy to see more layouts and stories!

@Daniel Hess Great layout. I suspect you might have distorted some of the photos in your page. Check out this article about resizing to fit. It might save some headaches on your subjects. You have so much to say, you could easily create a whole book with all those stories!

@Ann Seeber Yeah, I saw your Ice Baby layout but did not comment on it.

@Corrie Kinkel Isn't that the case most of the time that parents would use the child's full name only when they "meant business"!?

@Minka Glasier I am glad you got to revisit some of those memories. There are so many stories in our heads. Let's take the time to get them on paper!

@Dan Greenwood I think you had a great idea to cover some of the lines under the text. If you still find them overpowering, you can lower the opacity of that layer and see how the page looks. As long as you still have a version in layers, you can tweak that and try. I think that both backgrounds look good. 

@Donna Sillia I don't know if it is only due to the resizing of the layout but I think the shadows could be a bit more important. But if it is only due to the resizing, just ignore my comment!

@Julie Magerka If you don't remember what happened after that lipstick event, it might not have been traumatizing! 

@Gerry Landreth A Universal Birthday Party is such a great idea if you can gather everyone together! Will you still try again?

@Bonnie Ballentine Yes, this is a known bug of the latest version of PSP2023. That is a fun idea to have a Celebration of Courts. You really got a great gift from the city!

Carole, I forgot to add the shadows.

dsprankshadows600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Story Time #2 - The Bird, a Thanksgiving tale. I will post the text here as I doubt it will be large enough in a 600 format. The title is an alpha from Sheila Reid, the fonts are Bremen Bold for the pheasant and Bell MT for the text. I used the template but added my own extras to it. I had a lot in a Thanksgiving kit that I had stashed. I used wood pattern for the background and the round frame. The photo corners were in the kit. 

Here's the text: 

Our traditional Thanksgiving dinner was always wild pheasant. My husband, Jack, brought home the bird and Debbie and Laurey were tasked with plucking it and I would stuff it with sausage dressing and roast it with bacon layered on top because wild game is not as juicy as a commercial bird.

The only drawback to having a wild shot bird was dealing with the tiny bits of lead birdshot that was embedded in the meat. We eventually solved that problem by going to a local game farm and purchasing a wild pheasant, freshly killed. I always preferred the taste of pheasant compared to a traditional turkey.

STORY TIME #2-THANKSGIVING DINNER OF WILD PHEASANT_600.jpg

• Love 8

Day 3

I was more of an annoying child than a mischievous one. Having a younger sister was a perfect foil.

The picture is from Pinterest. Our station wagon setup was not even close to that elaborate. Ours was a large Igloo cooler and a grocery bag of paper plates and plastic utensils.  

@Cassel The Universal Birthday Party was a way to get everyone together for my mom. I knew that the number of opportunities for gathering was dwindling. Although her decline made it difficult to do it again, she had good memories of it, which was what I had hoped.

GNL-StoryTime-Challenge-Day3-600.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Love 6

5 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Story Time #2 - The Bird, a Thanksgiving tale. I will post the text here as I doubt it will be large enough in a 600 format. The title is an alpha from Sheila Reid, the fonts are Bremen Bold for the pheasant and Bell MT for the text. I used the template but added my own extras to it. I had a lot in a Thanksgiving kit that I had stashed. I used wood pattern for the background and the round frame. The photo corners were in the kit. 

Here's the text: 

Our traditional Thanksgiving dinner was always wild pheasant. My husband, Jack, brought home the bird and Debbie and Laurey were tasked with plucking it and I would stuff it with sausage dressing and roast it with bacon layered on top because wild game is not as juicy as a commercial bird.

The only drawback to having a wild shot bird was dealing with the tiny bits of lead birdshot that was embedded in the meat. We eventually solved that problem by going to a local game farm and purchasing a wild pheasant, freshly killed. I always preferred the taste of pheasant compared to a traditional turkey.

STORY TIME #2-THANKSGIVING DINNER OF WILD PHEASANT_600.jpg

This looks delicious. Over here we didn't had that tradition of eating turkey for christmas, it was mostly rabbit. Later we tried turkey but I'm not a great fan of it, if not prepared correctly it so quickly gets dry. Pheasant I have never eaten, I don't think it is available here, never heard about it either. 

• Like 1

I never was a very naughty child and as mischief is concerned I can't remember much else as ringing the bell at someone's house and running away before they could open the door. I think almost everybody has done this. But in highschool my friend and I had a narrow escape and were almost caught. Yesterday I was away on a daytrip, so I'm running a bit behind and I'm still working on this week's challenge too. This layout has a background paper called Periodic System by Melo Vrijhof, just as the erlenmeyer and test tube. I made the extra "periodic" tile because I saw it on line and it fits to my theme. The atom is from kissping and the chemistry element I found on Freepik. Title font is School & College Outline.

I have mentioned I have the same problem as others with the wrapped text in 2023!. I think that maybe I have found a solution. This time I made the selection for the wrapped text, typed my text and before I did anything else I duplicated the text and converted the duplicate to raster, which to my surprise indeed worked. Next thing was hide the vector layer and last deselected. I could resize to 600 for posting. Tomorrow when I do day 4 I'll try this again. But I wanted to mention this here already for others to test my theory.

StoryTime-Workshop-Day3b-600.jpg

• Love 5

5 minutes ago, Cassel said:

It was brought to my attention that the quick-page for day 3 was only 600x600 instead of the full-size of 3600x3600. I have fixed it and if you wanted Day 3 quick-page, you can re-download it.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you I didn't use it but downloaded it for future use in case I need something quickly

@Bonnie Ballentine That is quite a prank to do. Hopefully, it didn't keep going back and forth pranking each other! Fantastic that you have a photo of your mother playing sport!!

@Michele I was in a similar situation when we chose the name for our daughter: we wanted it to be bilingual, so we spelled it Michelle (with one L it would have had an accent in French).

@Daniel Hess Did you get my response to your email about the "broken link"?

@Minka Glasier Are you referring to the accident that happened this week where a whale tipped a boat, and it was captured on camera? I typically am not fond of going in the sea (or the bay here), not for sharks, but for jellyfish!

@Donna Sillia Ah, those shadows are really adding to the layout!

@Ann Seeber I never thought of the fact that game birds might have pellets in them. Yuck!

@Anne Lamp Those alphas are so cute. Do you happen to have any pictures left of a child in the middle of all those papers? That must have made for fun and colorful pictures!

@Gerry Landreth "Are we there yet?" Quite a typical phrase for a kid!!!

@Dan Greenwood Maybe you should try pickleball? You would have a few people cheering you up in this forum!

@Corrie Kinkel Reading your story, I also thought you might have been caught for those seeds! Sh... we won't tell anyone!

@Linda J Walker I can definitely envision that many kids with the same surname in rural areas. By the way, did you add shadows to your flowers or are they not visible due to the resizing?

@Anja Pelzer It is nice to see that you have some photos of yourself. Often, at our age, we don't have as many as the younger generation!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Cassel said:

@Michele I was in a similar situation when we chose the name for our daughter: we wanted it to be bilingual, so we spelled it Michelle (with one L it would have had an accent in French).

I think my mother just spelled it wrong. I sometimes tell people we were too poor for a second L. Other times I say that my brother, Alan, used the other L. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Day 2

I'm behind, it's hard to come up with stories.  My life is pretty plain and boring.  I used 2022 for the wrapping and it's so nice to not have to fight with it.  I wish Carole could write a script to make 2023 do text wrapping, or a script for 2022 to see all the blend modes as you scroll through the list, like in 2023.  that way I could stick to using just one program instead of two.  

StoryTime WS Day 2 Mini Golf & My Dad-2022-Merg-600.jpg

• Love 6

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

I used 2022 for the wrapping and it's so nice to not have to fight with it.  I wish Carole could write a script to make 2023 do text wrapping, or a script for 2022 to see all the blend modes as you scroll through the list, like in 2023.  that way I could stick to using just one program instead of two.  

I wish Corel would fix the issues!

• Like 3

@Cassel Yes, I got your response.  In the original email, something must have glitched in the email when it came in.  I kept getting page not available responses but apparently that was only here.  On a side note again, my post yesterday about the yearbooks and old photos..."back in the day" when I was working on those, I was using the Jasc PSP 3 and later 4 versions and didn't know ANYTHING yet about what could truly be done with them.  I haven't had EVERY in between version but can pretty much say have owned most of them up to XI then about 2018 and on.

Edited by Daniel Hess
  • Like 1