Vector Workshop 2024

Cassel

6 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I have all these issues too.  I had to turn the node size back to small because I couldn't seem to hit the middle when they were bigger.  Lots of zooming in required.  Oh, and sometimes the arms are so short I don't think they are there.  I'm trying to watch the cursor better as it switched to arrows doesn't it.  And sometimes I get the 4 arrows but don't know why.  they don't let me click on the nodes, this did stop once I went back to smaller nodes.

It seems to me that PSP is better suited to working with rasters. If I decide I am going to be a Vector Artist (fat chance), I would need a different program. But I like that I can do a little bit of vector work at least within PSP. And that's good enough for me!

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Jnet Allard said:

Text translated with Google

Hello to all participants.

I arrive late, because I am in the boxes full to bursting from our 52 years of life together for my husband and me. I think I will have enough to sort through, throw away, keep and give away everything we have accumulated over these 52 years.

In addition to the move, I was surprised when I turned on my computer that all my saved passwords had disappeared. I think I'll have to change them all because the ones I have in note don't go through, as if I needed that!

Leçon 1 - coeur.jpg

Leçon 1 - flèche.jpg

Oh no Jnet! Losing all your passwords will make so much work for you, and on top of a move! I am sorry for you.

Edited by Julie Magerka
wrong name
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Lesson 2 

Felt a bit better, less panic when I over click while trying to catch the nodes.  Lots of UNDO!  Still, it's really satisfying playing with the nodes and getting a better "handle" on the handles. 

Lesson 2 - all lessons for PREVIEW-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 11

In Carole's comment after her comments to us, she suggested making a letter from a rectangle. So here's mine. The easiest one I could think of (maybe letter I would be easier.) It's supposed to be the letter L but it could be a black boot for a cartoon character or perhaps a boomerang? Just wanted to try!

letter from rectangle.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Love 3

Just now, Susan Ewart said:

Lesson 2 

Felt a bit better, less panic when I over click while trying to catch the nodes.  Lots of UNDO!  Still, it's really satisfying playing with the nodes and getting a better "handle" on the handles. 

Lesson 2 - all lessons for PREVIEW-600.jpg

Yes, CTRL+Z is my best friend too.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

46 minutes ago, Jnet Allard said:

I arrive late, because I am in the boxes full to bursting from our 52 years of life together for my husband and me. I think I will have enough to sort through, throw away, keep and give away everything we have accumulated over these 52 years.

In addition to the move, I was surprised when I turned on my computer that all my saved passwords had disappeared. I think I'll have to change them all because the ones I have in note don't go through, as if I needed that!

Leçon 1 - coeur.jpg

Leçon 1 - flèche.jpg

So good to see you again, Jnet! Sorry about the very annoying password issue. Good luck with your move...I hate moving!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Jnet Allard said:

Leçon 1 - coeur.jpg

Leçon 1 - flèche.jpg

Oh Jnet that is a nightmare! It will be a lot of work to login to every site and make a new password, but look at it on the bright side: you will have updated them all. Good luck! 

• Like 2

Day 3 and I decided not to do the leaves again because I already did them last year. However I didn't fancy the diamond extra shapes. I know it is all about exercising but I have to like it too. Instead I found  a flower shape and Ivy to use. This time I had less problems with clicking and changing the node types from symmetric to cusp and back, it went rather smoothly to my own surprise. 😕

ck-Flower01.jpg

ck-Ivy.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 13

Day 2 - I started over a couple of times today, but overall, it was easier.

Carole: Unfortunately, the cats are not supervisory material. Ever since River watched a documentary on ancient Egypt, she has constantly reminded me that her ancestors were worshiped and that she needs to be fanned.

GNL-Day2-Label01.jpg

GNL-Day2-Label02.jpg

GNL-Day2-Labels.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Love 7

36 minutes ago, Gerry Landreth said:

Carole: Unfortunately, the cats are not supervisory material. Ever since River watched a documentary on ancient Egypt, she has constantly reminded me that her ancestors were worshiped and that she needs to be fanned.

GNL-Day2-Label01.jpg

GNL-Day2-Label02.jpg

GNL-Day2-Labels.jpg

Yup, cats! They're in charge. Nice shapes too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Lesson 3 went more smoothly as long as I zoomed in to add nodes, otherwise they end up all over the place. I do have a question. At the end of the classes, how do we delete all our admittedly poor first attempts at saving the shapes so that they do not clutter up our shapes library? I am sure that I will get better at these over time & I doubt that I will want to reuse my pathetic initial assignments. Can I just delete the pspimage file in my documents or do I have to also delecte them somehow from the shapes library?

vector3 sharon.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 8

On 6/18/2024 at 6:13 PM, Julie Magerka said:

They don't just multiply, they seem to change from one node type to another or be unavailable to work with. They are diabolical!

I believe that the adjective that you are looking for is  "mephistophelian"  derived from an evil spirit to whom Faust sold his soul. 

• Haha 4
  • WOW 1

5 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

It seems to me that PSP is better suited to working with rasters. If I decide I am going to be a Vector Artist (fat chance), I would need a different program. But I like that I can do a little bit of vector work at least within PSP. And that's good enough for me!

I think that working with vectors in any program is going to be tough. I am going to do a couple of Photoshop lessons later this year and see if it is any easier there. My preference is always PSP but I was tempted to use Photoshop for some specifical applications (like all the lovely styles that you find in scrapbooking bundles and in some of the online shops). I will probably switch back & forth once I master both. At least PSP is less expensive, there are way more free online tuitorials & Cassel is always helpful. With Photoshop, you sort of are thrown to the wolves. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Oh no Jnet! Losing all your passwords will make so much work for you, and on top of a move! I am sorry for you.

Been there... had to do that. Once I found out how to call up a list of all the passwords and their sites in my computer's memory, I print out the list every month (as I change my passwords often as recommended). That way, I have the currrent ones as well as the previous ones.  I never want to have to go through that pain of loosing them all again. I hope that you get your passwords and accounts sorted out.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Gerry Landreth said:

GNL-Day2-Label01.jpg

GNL-Day2-Label02.jpg

GNL-Day2-Labels.jpg

It's true what they say..... dogs have masters and cats have servants.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

@Mary Solaas Good work. Yes, the Layer Styles are the way to go if you want to add glow or shadows to a vector. I am not covering it in the lessons as people already have enough with the nodes!

@Jeni Simpson I hope you are feeling more comfortable after all those labels!

@Emerald Jay Great assignments. Simple but you did what was asked. You worked hard on that maple leaf! And you now have a great preset shape to reuse endlessly!

@Cristina Yes, I agree that if you don't click on the right place, you "lose" it and have to click again. It is annoying but with practice, it becomes just part of working with them. That flower is great!

@Anja Pelzer Great work on both assignments! Is it getting easier?

@Ron Yarborough Yes, vectors are often feared by many PSP users. Hopefully, you will also feel more confident once you go through the lessons. Looking forward to seeing your assignments too.

@Trevor Andrew Yes there is a lot of switching node type. I am not sure why one cannot start with a cusp. Maybe there is a reason, but I just don't know it. As for a shortcut, Ctrl-S is supposed to be for Save as... not changing to Cusp. I don't think there is any shortcut for those nodes.

@Donna Sillia I would rather you don't use that script to create vectors as the workshop is to help you edit them. Once you are comfortable editing the nodes, then you can take shortcuts to start the initial path and edit it later.

@Alicia Garbelman Yes, using food items is a good way to play with those nodes and paths. Those leaves are great!

@Jnet Allard Welcome back. You started very well with this lesson. Keep it up!

@Susan Ewart Yes, sometimes, the arms are very short. That is one situation where changing them to symmetric might make both ends the length of the longest one, which then allows you to grab them correctly. You are moving along quite well!

@Julie MagerkaDon't dispair. The "holes" in the middle will come in a different lesson as a cutout. It requires extra steps otherwise, every path wants to be filled the same way. Keep that image, and you will see, tomorrow.

@Louyse Toupin Great labels. Maybe you can use them in a project soon.

@Corrie Kinkel Great flowers! See, with practice, you will get to aim on the right place on the nodes and get going smoothly.

@Gerry Landreth Too bad the cats are so demanding!!! 🙂

@middie That is a great question about managing all those preset shapes. See, when you export the preset shapes, they are likely saved in the folder in My Documents > Corel PaintShop Pro > [version number] > Preset shapes. Simply go to that folder and delete the ones you don't want to keep. They should be .pspshape files. As for Photoshop, if you have access to it, it is fine. Each program has its strengths and each one has features the other doesn't have (Photoshop does not have scripts or picture tubes!)

We have over 150 people who signed up for this workshop. If you are registered and following the tutorials, don't be shy. We have all been beginners, and we know how it is. Show us your assignments, and over time, we will cheer your progress too!

• Like 3
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, Jnet Allard said:

Jnet, you sure have a lot of work ahead of you; moving to a new home and sorting out the things you have accumulated over the years. 

Oh, no. Losing all your saved passwords hurts. ☹️ I always keep mine the old way, in a notebook, in case technology fails.

• Like 3
  • WOW 1

12 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I have all these issues too.  I had to turn the node size back to small because I couldn't seem to hit the middle when they were bigger.  Lots of zooming in required.  Oh, and sometimes the arms are so short I don't think they are there.  I'm trying to watch the cursor better as it switched to arrows doesn't it.  And sometimes I get the 4 arrows but don't know why.  they don't let me click on the nodes, this did stop once I went back to smaller nodes.

Yeah, same here about sometimes the arms being too small and having to move the cursor around to see where the arrows are. 

I also have my nodes small, and zooming in is a must. 🙂

Sometimes, I click and click on the nodes and nothing happens. Then, if I check the Tool Options Palette, I see that, for whatever reason, the MODE has been changed from EDIT MODE  to DRAW LINES AND POLYLINES.

Working with Vector does require lots of attention to detail. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1