Greeting Card Workshop - 2024

Cassel

10 hours ago, Michele said:

The floral brad you used is so gorgeous that I went right to DS and downloaded the entire bundle! If you don't mind may I make a small suggestion? The shadow you used for the brad makes it look like it's floating above the card. You might want to make it smaller.

Thanks for the shadow observation Michele. I'll have another look. It wasn't as noticeable on the printed smaller card but I take your point. Like you I downloaded a few of those buttons. So elaborate. Sorry you are injured. I injured my hand at the beginning of the year. You just have to find ways around and hope you have the best medical attention.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My get-well card is a bit colorful. It'll wake my friend, Ginny, up -- she's lounging around dealing with a cracked pelvis. 🧐 The flowers are from a Merisa Lerin Birthday Kit and the font is Valentina.

LESSON THREE-GINNY-GET WELL_600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 17

Card 3-Extra

I have used the normal template so often for X-mas, Easter, New Baby, Birthday and Thank you that I now choose the extra one. However I used some of the ideas like the lines on the background and some sort of frame. My photos with white flowers and I gave them a little bit of shadow, just as the strip behind them. The heart is from Chantalia Design but recolored; the fonts are Crocus Monogram and Clarissa stories and both have a inner bevel to let them stand out a bit better. The Dutch word sterkte means you wish somebody courage with a particular situation, for instance this card is meant for a friend who has to undergo an unpleasant medical treatment. It has a backside and in this case I will write something inside by hand not printed.

Card3-Extra2024-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 17

4 hours ago, Petra Nuijten said:

Here's card number 3. I added a little bee stamp and cute yellow buttons to finish it off. I wasn't sure about the colours at first but....it turned out nicely I think. 

kleine BWS.jpg

Yes, it did. Very nicely with those little touches.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

Lesson 3 - I enjoyed this one. Little tricks and tips that Carole so patiently points out and repeats so even I can get it! I added a bit of extra shadowing to the tan-coloured frames so they didn't look as pale beside the darker ones.

I still have not printed ANY cards I've made; usually send by email, but I do plan to since I have a lovely colour printer which I rarely use. Nice to know (now) how to do the layout to incorporate a folded card.

SBC Greeting Card Lesson 3_600.jpg

Edited by Julie Magerka
  • Like 2
  • Love 15

For my 2nd card, I created one for my sister (her birthday is in July and she lives in flip-flops)! This class worked very well for me to create a unique card that celebrates her ultimate desire to live near the ocean on an island somewhere. I chose a photo from Pixabay by Kanenori user_id:4749850.

The tips in this lesson are going to come in very handy! I learned a lot and will be practicing these for awhile until I can do them without instruction!! VERY good class. Thank you.

HappyBirthdayAmy rs35.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 10

4 hours ago, Peggy Dyar said:

Just getting started with the week! I used a photo background, then used Posterize to change the lower background; adding a Selective Focus to the resulting image. This allowed me to focus solely on the ornament, while still keeping the main concept of the tree.

for the Scallop, I added in inner blend which created a shadow to create a "depth" that I like to see when I make my 3-D cards. I used random noise in monochrome to create the texture for the scalloped section. For the ribbon, I used a gradient at 45% that used colors from the original photo; added the star (from Digital Scrapbook). Then copied the scallop/ribbon/brad and placed it on the opposite side of the card. Merry Christmas in white at the bottom finished it off.

ChristmasCard rs350x250.jpg

Those colours work really well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I love this.  I was scrolling the new cards from the bottom so before I saw your name I guessed that this was from you.  Beautiful colors and layout.  I like both versions; straight and wavy. With even a small amount of supplies/elements you make a big impact.

There weren't any photos to  give me away this time,  it must have been my style. 🙂 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

Lesson 3 - I enjoyed this one. Little tricks and tips that Carole so patiently points out and repeats so even I can get it! I added a bit of extra shadowing to the tan-coloured frames so they didn't look as pale beside the darker ones.

I still have not printed ANY cards I've made; usually send by email, but I do plan to since I have a lovely colour printer which I rarely use. Nice to know (now) how to do the layout to incorporate a folded card.

SBC Greeting Card Lesson 3_600.jpg

The squiggle adds a personal addition of endearment and  touch of class to  an overall most appealing,  eye catching layout.   So many wonderful layouts submitted, especially from the  newbies.  All in all the simplicity of the layouts depict  utter perfection. That is, In my humble opinion!

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 3
  • Love 3

Posted (edited)

Number 3. Using images from Creative Fabrica. Have saved so many of their beautiful images so finally putting them to good use. The font is called Summer Lightening. Tried a bit of stitching after giving the squares a fabric texture. TFL

CardWorkshop-Card 3-Resize-SGH-23-05-24.jpg

Edited by Sheila Hogg
  • Like 4
  • Love 11

Posted (edited)

Here is my day 3 card.  The little darling monsters are from a kit named Cute-Monster-Watercolor-Sublimation-69251614 . The bottom  font is Blackadder ITC  The top font is Banggar Slant.

My day 3 card done f 6.jpg

Edited by Anne Lamp
  • Like 1
  • Haha 10
  • Love 6

@Anita Wyatt That is interesting to use other cards. Was it a card you scanned?

@Michele Of course, when you feel better, you can take this workshop and still post in this thread.

@Dee347 That is a great customization of a simple card. I bet you can create a dozen from the same template!

@kasany Adding that wire heart on top gives quite a special effect. If I could offer a suggestion, be careful with the shadows on your text: the shadow seems to overpower the writing making it hard to read.

@Wendy Sanders I bet your friend will appreciate that custom card!

@Sue Thomas I also tend to like more subtle patterns in cards. 

@Jen Brown Simple and to the point!

@Donna Sillia Those flamingos are cute. I bet you could not find such a card in the stores!

@Julie Magerka Beautiful and delicate card. (I am glad my repeating  steps over and over is not annoying you!)

@Peggy Dyar Isn't that fun how quickly a card can be completed? I am glad you appreciate the tips.

@Petra Nuijten I think that the colors turned out great! And that little added bee is so cute.

@Ann Seeber Ouch@ A cracked pelvis must not be fun! She will surely appreciate the card.

@Gerry Landreth Aren't we looking for extra glyphs now when choosing a font! Something I didn't do when I started with PSP!

@Minka Glasier It is such a good idea to use images. And what an original way to plan an event!

@Corrie Kinkel It is nice that those cards can be used both digitally and printed.

@Sheila Hogg Yes, CF is a great source for images and elements to use.

@Anne Lamp I LOVE that card with the little monsters. So unique!

• Like 1

Card1_extra_jeni_remarkables_800x571.jpg.8e6611450a6e7742fcb99826ca8e02c6.jpg

Extra card Day 1
The Remarkables is a mountain range and skifield about 2 hours from me, in Queenstown.
It is called the Remarkables because the range lies directly north-south, one of only two mountain ranges in the world to do so.
I was lucky to get this pic, taking it in the early evening in the middle of winter [July], as the sun went down.

I took the snowflakes from something I created years ago, 2009, and I don't remember where they came from, possibly a brush.
The fonts are Adelia and Gill Sans MT.
Jeni

• Like 2
  • WOW 1
  • Love 10

ChristmasCard2-jeni_600x571.jpg.eb946661a53a710a533a2da78df39a8a.jpg

Day 2 Card
This card looked like a door, so I added windows with a view towards snow-covered paddocks.
I used some ric-rac I created a few years ago in a digi-scrapbooking group.
The fonts used were Always Black and Always Light.
The holly came from an exchange in one of my graphics groups. It had a shadow already, so I turned it upside-down.
Jeni

• Like 3
  • Love 12

On 5/21/2024 at 3:52 PM, fiona cook said:

My Card 2 follows on the flower theme. I used my photo of daisies to sample the colours from and decided to use it as a reduced opacity background over a plain background.  Font: Babylone. The stripey frame was fun to see take effect. I took note of how to create a back but didn't do it as I tend to print off a design on paper and attach to a pre-folded plain greetings card.

Card2.jpg

Carole suggested either add shadows totally or not at all so I have added them now so we can see the improvement with finishing all the elements with shadow. Thank you Carole for your eye.

Before & after shadows.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 9

3 hours ago, Jeni Simpson said:

jeni-800x571-Card1.jpg.1f1e713c6f8b86e759bf0fc133969809.jpg

Card 1 - I received the image in one of my graphic groups yesterday, it appealed to me. 
The brad is from Jessica Dunn's Vintage Blooms mini kit from Curio Pantry.

Jeni

Absolutely beautiful Jeni...love your colours.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Jeni Simpson said:

Card1_extra_jeni_remarkables_800x571.jpg.8e6611450a6e7742fcb99826ca8e02c6.jpg

Extra card Day 1
The Remarkables is a mountain range and skifield about 2 hours from me, in Queenstown.
It is called the Remarkables because the range lies directly north-south, one of only two mountain ranges in the world to do so.
I was lucky to get this pic, taking it in the early evening in the middle of winter [July], as the sun went down.

I took the snowflakes from something I created years ago, 2009, and I don't remember where they came from, possibly a brush.
The fonts are Adelia and Gill Sans MT.
Jeni

WOW...great shot!  Gotta love NZ...I've been to Milford Sound and thought it was the most awe inspiring thing I've ever seen...I am only over the ditch in Melbourne.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2024 at 5:00 PM, Susan Ewart said:

Incredible work from everyone.  It's really inspiring.  Looks like I might not be able to join as this week is going to be an exhausting one!  But I will look forward to seeing your beautiful creations.

I agree with you, Susan, and congrats to Everyone! 

The cards posted are amazing and inspiring.  I am sure the recipients will be more than happy when they get them.

Like you, I'm afraid I won't have the time to post anything, but I'm glad I have the templates. 

• Like 4

On 5/22/2024 at 11:01 AM, Michele said:

Loving everything, especially from our "newbies." I'm very impressed.

I was so looking forward to this workshop, but I don't know if I'll be able to participate due to an injury. Since there is no time limit for the workshops, I hope to be able to start soon and catch up. 🤞

Michele, sending my best wishes and hope you'll be fit soon to participate in this workshop.   I always love your work!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wendy Sanders said:

WOW...great shot!  Gotta love NZ...I've been to Milford Sound and thought it was the most awe inspiring thing I've ever seen...I am only over the ditch in Melbourne.

Thank you, Wendy.
I have spent some time in Milford, having lived and worked in Te Anau for years. I was sent to Milford Sound to set up an office, on the wharf, for my employer many years ago.
I lived there for 1 month and went on the last boat trip out on the Sound each day, which was so cool.
Jeni

• Like 2