What are you working on (in March 2024)?

Cassel

4 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

Sue - in addition to the information about squirrels, this is a really great layout.  I like the cutout frame on the top layer background; the cutout of the top picture, the faded date stamp, each of the journaling strips (I remember that one of the labs (I think) about telling a story in strips). I love everything about this layout!  You are an inspiration.

Mary, I'm deeply touched by your words.   Yes, the phrase strips tutorial can be found in the creative scrap/lab  (the one or the other).  I'm delighted my pages serve multiple purposes in the campus.  I have to say cutting out circles using PSP is by far easier  and quicker than  actual  paper cutting.  I will hopefully  improve on that  though.  Pease don't hesitate to ask for any instruction, or direct you to any relevant tutorials.   I like the small details.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Sue Thomas said:

Mary, I'm deeply touched by your words.   Yes, the phrase strips tutorial can be found in the creative scrap/lab  (the one or the other).  I'm delighted my pages serve multiple purposes in the campus.  I have to say cutting out circles using PSP is by far easier  and quicker than  actual  paper cutting.  I will hopefully  improve on that  though.  Pease don't hesitate to ask for any instruction, or direct you to any relevant tutorials.   I like the small details.

1 minute ago, Sue Thomas said:

Thanks, Sue - I like the small details too - they often make the difference between blah and wow.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

Michelle, thanks for the ideas on grouping and the use of screw heads.  And, as is usual, you use many layers. I see smudges on the background of the "poster" also and in different colors. My mojo has been lacking this month and I really appreciate the inspiration you and others have given.

I too use grouping.  It is as easy to group and ungroup,  multiple times when needed. keeping  many layer together. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

Michelle, thanks for the ideas on grouping and the use of screw heads.  And, as is usual, you use many layers. I see smudges on the background of the "poster" also and in different colors. My mojo has been lacking this month and I really appreciate the inspiration you and others have given.

Thanks so much, @Mary Solaas. I think we all take turns looking for our mojo. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Talking about aging, and  all that it entails, I created this page last night, bar for the phrase strips I wanted to do.   For the life of me I couldn't remember the word I was looking for.  I knew it's meaning and in what context I was going to use it.  This morning out of the blue It came to me, dextrous.  I immediately wrote it down.  Now the page is complete.  I consider myself very lucky in the fact that I'm  fit and healthy. I do have to wear cheap magnifying glasses, which I have dotted all around the place, inside and out, purly for reading.   If my arms were a little longer I wouldn't need them.  I have noticed that I am getting forgetful. As Corrie says aging is what it is.  We have to accept getting older and  don't let it stand in our way.   The ground squirrels tolerate me laying amongst them, they still have an imaginary boundery, which I don't cross.  I have bought them a bag of  rabbit pellets, which they are enjoying. I haven't seen them today, eveywhere is white, although it has stopped snowing now.

Now then, my page.  I creared phrase strips, used Carole's page punches again.  Created a date stamp.  For the scalloped edges and the  cut out dots around the background paper I used several techniques, all of which you will find the many turorials in the creative scrap/lab.  Multi scallops, double scallops, scalloped mat.  I also used a paper template, which I colourized to my liking and sized it down.  Carole did a masterclass on  paper templates, one of the best classes she has done. Paper templates suits me as I am not a fan of using patterned papers.  I used the same technique which I have given tips on for the  round photo, with it's cut out frame.

Ground squirrels dexterity.jpg

Sue such a lovely page with those squirrels and you use a lot of techniques. I love those punches and they are on my wishlist. Thanks for reminding me of the masterclass on paper templates. I will have to rewatch that one, maybe when I'm in the States and have some time for myself when everyone else is of to school or work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Sue such a lovely page with those squirrels and you use a lot of techniques. I love those punches and they are on my wishlist. Thanks for reminding me of the masterclass on paper templates. I will have to rewatch that one, maybe when I'm in the States and have some time for myself when everyone else is of to school or work.

I got a feeling you will like using paper templates. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I had to send a couple of Estercards through the post and I have made this one in the 3 languages I needed. I used a card idea from the Card Workshop and made the background with a Quatrefoil overlay that I had done sometime ago. The eggs and bunnies come from different easter themed sets I have in my stash for quite a long time and I think they were a freebie from CF.

I wish you all a happy Easter weekend if you celebrate it and otherwise have a nice weekend too.

Pasen-2024-600.jpg

What a cute card! Happy Easter, Corrie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Thanks for reminding me of the masterclass on paper templates

I will take a look at this class, too. I don't remember it very well, and it's no wonder, with hundreds of great Masterclasses.

• Like 3

I use grouping a lot when I have a bunch of layers that I want to resize proportionately. But it only works when they are all together in the layers palette since all layers in a group have to be next to each other.

When I have layers that are separated in the layers palette that I want to move together on the layout (like a cluster that might have layers above and below a paper mat/photo layer) then I use the linking layers options. That works well for that. Another way I use to show what layers are "connected" to each other is to use the color coding in the layers properties.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

I use grouping a lot when I have a bunch of layers that I want to resize proportionately. But it only works when they are all together in the layers palette since all layers in a group have to be next to each other.

When I have layers that are separated in the layers palette that I want to move together on the layout (like a cluster that might have layers above and below a paper mat/photo layer) then I use the linking layers options. That works well for that. Another way I use to show what layers are "connected" to each other is to use the color coding in the layers properties.

I've been color coding lately too, makes it easier to find stuff, especially if I have a lot of layers or copies of a layer and I want to know which one is the original.   I link for moving and use grouping for resizing, even if I have to temporarily move a layer into the group and resize and then ungroup and move it back to where it goes.  

a question for you.  when you rename layers, do you leave the word "raster" or "vector" then add the name you want or just add the name and get rid of the word raster or vector because you can can tell what the layer is by the icon. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I've been color coding lately too, makes it easier to find stuff, especially if I have a lot of layers or copies of a layer and I want to know which one is the original.   I link for moving and use grouping for resizing, even if I have to temporarily move a layer into the group and resize and then ungroup and move it back to where it goes.  

a question for you.  when you rename layers, do you leave the word "raster" or "vector" then add the name you want or just add the name and get rid of the word raster or vector because you can can tell what the layer is by the icon. 

I leave the "raster" or "vector" and add the name. It's easier for me to distinguish as opposed to the icons.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Rene Marker said:

I started using more grouping layers last year, and if I remember correctly, it was because of one of your comments. Before, it was only with masks (Clip to It).

9 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I also color code the layers, and I have a color for when it's something I created, something from Carole's, or something from kits... The vectors are always white...

I don't remember when I started doing this, but the colors were chosen over the years... My old layouts have all sorts of colors!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, Cristina said:

I started using more grouping layers last year, and if I remember correctly, it was because of one of your comments. Before, it was only with masks (Clip to It).

I also color code the layers, and I have a color for when it's something I created, something from Carole's, or something from kits... The vectors are always white...

I don't remember when I started doing this, but the colors were chosen over the years... My old layouts have all sorts of colors!

Hi Cristina: Can you explain how to "color-code" a layer? I can't find any way to do it. Thanks!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I use grouping and linking the same as you. Grouping for resizing and linking for indicating layers that go together.

I don't usually rename layers. Because when I drag and drop into the layers palette, the file name is the layer name. When I use the raster-to-mask script for photos, my last step when I'm satisfied with the placement of the photo is to use the "Merge Group Rename" script which keeps the photo file name on the merged group layer. To be honest, the only vector layers I use on my layouts are text layers. I only use the other vector layers for the Build-A-Kit stuff, not on my regular layouts. On my regular layouts I should rename the text layer but I don't since I keep track of kits and fonts used on a spreadsheet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Ann Seeber

In the layers palette double clicking on the layer will open the properties menu. On the bottom of the general tab is a checkbox to "highlight in layers palette". When you click on the checkbox, the colors show up in the box to the right of it. Mine is always yellow. When you click on the color, it brings up the color palette and you can choose any color you want.

There is a screenshot of the layer properties that shows what I'm talking about in this blog post about linking and grouping: Linking and Grouping in PSP | Scrapbook Campus

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Hi Cristina: Can you explain how to "color-code" a layer? I can't find any way to do it. Thanks!

Rene already answered you, but here are some screenshots.

1-Layer Color code.jpg

2-Layer Color code.jpg

Edited by Cristina
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

• Cassel unpinned this topic