Mask Workshop (2024)

Cassel

11 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Day 6. For the mask I used the cass-Curlylines script and the rocks/pebbles are made with cass-RocksPebbles script. I used that one because the area where I saw these flowers was rocky with grass patches in which flowers were growing. It are quite delicate little plants which can be used as herbs. The background is made by 3 layers of the linoleum effect with different blend modes. The bottom one is the monochrome, then a copy with some blur and blendmode soft light. The 3rd layer was without the monochrome and blendmode saturation and a tiny lowered opacity. The font is Baby Magnolia.

Mask Workshop-day6-600.jpg

Wat voor plantje is dat? Ik herken het niet😎

3 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 4

I tried the PencilSketch2 script but there was too many hues that are dark so it didn't work well.  In fact I had planned on using an image of the paint palette on it's own with the tubes of paint in front of it.  It didnt work.  so I went on to trying to the use the brush with a "hide all" mask and well, it's looked something you'd throw out with the trash.  I had this other image of me playing with 20 yr old gouache WC paint using only CMY K and White for my color group I belong to.  I had the idea of having a desaturated image and using the mask to bring back color in the palette and certain areas.  I dont know why, but that was a head scratcher using the two layers of the same image (one desaturated and one fully hue-full).  I got there in the end and this is just the technique I have been wanting to learn.  I need to practice it way more.  I extracted the tubes from the other image I was going to use and put them on this image as separate elements.  The little square color swatches is from my color group, something we are doing until the real color cards get made and mailed to us. 

The font is Evidance, by Creative Fabrica I think.  With an inner bevel added and a gradient fill and lowered opacity (with the shadow layer below it turned in into a dark tone, as the shadow was not 100% black, otherwise it would have been a dark shade).  Tomorrow I will only be 3 days behind.  Yippee! 

Mask WS Day 4 - Palette-1-600.jpg

Hoping to look at this article too on Extractions. Thank you Carole and Susan for the suggestions.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

That poet, Joyce Kilmer, was sort-of local to me when I lived in New Jersey. He became so famous they named a rest-stop off the NJ Turnpike for him. 😉

Great Ann that you recognised the quote. I forgot to credit the author with my design.  I also hadn't realised their gender. How interesting. Thank you for spotting.

5 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Harmony BirchDid you rotate your lace after adding the shadows? It looks like it is not consistent as it is going to the right, and not the bottom right. is the Butterfly font a layered font?

No I rotated the lace first then added the shadow so no idea why it looks that way. The butterfly font not a layered font I added an inner bevel because on the whole I prefer my titles to have some body.

1 hour ago, fiona cook said:

Joyce Kilmer

I do love this poem:

Trees

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.
  • Like 1
  • Love 7

3 hours ago, MoniqueN. said:

Wat voor plantje is dat? Ik herken het niet😎

Ik kende dit ook niet en ik denk dat we het hier in Nederland niet hebben want het groeit in het westen van de VS in Californië, Arizona en Mexico volgens de informatie die ik heb gevonden. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Wow, this is great! I think we call that big guy a Monkey Wrench?

Thank you Ann. I totally forgot that name.  Isn't there a saying about a monkey wrench?  Either way, it's a funny name, I wonder how it came to be named like that.

1 hour ago, Ann Seeber said:

I do love this poem:

Trees

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

My mom loved poetry and this was one of her favorites.  I bet my kids remember her quoting this one many times.

2 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Thank you Ann. I totally forgot that name.  Isn't there a saying about a monkey wrench?  Either way, it's a funny name, I wonder how it came to be named like that.

2 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Not sure why everything is jumping around on my laptop this morning.  

Maybe it's called a monkey wrench because when you grab for it you're not "monkeying around" - you mean business!!!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Susan, this is really eye-catching! I don't see where you used a mask. Is this posted in the right forum? Is it part of your Build-A-Kit?

Thank you again.  The whole painted part I made grey and then used a mask to bring back the colored parts ( I think I brought too much back).  Here's the layers palette shot of it.  

Capture.JPG

• Like 4
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, fiona cook said:

Thank you for your explanations of each step. I like the way the kaleidoscope effect blends in and doesn't dominate. The creative use of that LetterPress script so fitting too. Love It!

Thank you Fiona, both scripts are fun to play with.  I'm learn what kind of photos work best.  Corrie originally tested it and said watch for light edges, they disappear and that is spot on.  Some disappearing edges are okay but too much and I found you couldn't tell what it was.  And when my photo has areas that are too dark then there is no detail.  I had to learn to edit the photo for the pencil sketch and that makes the world of difference.  

• Like 2

Lesson 5

My, my, what a project tis is/was! And not because of the lesson, but I couldn't find a brush that I thought was ok for this photo. I ended up with this, nothing special, but ok for this lesson. Spent all afternoon on it 😞

Text translation: As if it rains.........

font Bree serif

Photo is my own taken at a museum.

Dag 5-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 9

9 hours ago, sharon thompson said:

Day 5 - I loved that linoleum effect though I had to make it a bit more subtle as I was using the same color as the photo background and mask.  Added a small frame to make things pop out a bit. I don't remember where I got the butterfly photo, probably from a naturalist site, but the kaleidoscope of butterflies (yes, that is what a group of butterflies in flight is called) is from Pngitem.com and the font is MingLiu from Fontsgeek. 

mask6 sharon.jpg

I love the text...great quote!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

I call it a pipe wrench.

You should see me "drawing in the air" trying to describe the tool to my husband so i can get the name.  Pipe wrench.  I should know all this stuff; we've done enough reno's in the past and I worked for my brother who made custom Japanese furniture and shoji doors.  You know how it is...there is only so much information a brain can hold, sometimes I gotta purge out some information to let knew information in.  (side note: I have a small head, therefore a small amount of information space inside it! 🤪)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I wonder how it came to be named like that.

according to wikipedia.com "The origin of the name is not entirely clear, but there are reports that it originated in Britain with a fancied resemblance of the wrench's jaws to that of a monkey's face, and that the many convoluted folk etymologies that later developed were baseless."

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

according to wikipedia.com "The origin of the name is not entirely clear, but there are reports that it originated in Britain with a fancied resemblance of the wrench's jaws to that of a monkey's face, and that the many convoluted folk etymologies that later developed were baseless."

Like all North Americans, the Candians are not any different, they call the spanner a wrench, pipe wrench or  monkey wrench.   I have and always will call them  spanners.  The word spanner is derived from a German word.  It's inventor was  Swedish several hundred years ago.  I've had this conversation with many Canadians  who didn't know what a spanner was, over the years. 

• Like 1

Day 7...once again, 2 layouts.

large.2024122PickleballFamily600.jpg.386e6e13ce7375671842154683f7dde3.jpg

These are the 10 who attended the clinic together. There were also 30 ladies from Massachusetts. We played card/board games when we were not on the court and it didn't take long for the Massachusetts ladies to join us. We had so much fun...we are planning another clinic with both groups. 

I had all sorts of elements in this layout and decided not to use them. Does this surprise you, Doska?

• Like 2
  • Love 7