Vector Workshop 2023

Cassel

Lesson 3:  wash, rinse and repeat. (emphasis on "repeat")

Okay, no washing or rinsing went on but I wanted to get more practice after a good nights sleep and a day that I dont have work(job work) looming over me.  First thing I did was put the node size back to small after I read the comments that you need to be in the middle.  Wow, that really helped.  sure it's hard to see those little suckers, but I had way better aim today.  I did have that "freakout" moment when I opened the leaf and thought...Duuuh, what do I do? Got over that with a quick check in with the Lesson 3 video which set me straight.  So here's another leaf I made. It went much easier this time, I could edit and move nodes and even merged some too with better control.  Some of my  crazy out of control "clicking" was partly due to my wireless mouse's battery dying.  Now I can head on to Lesson 4 and practice the 3 P's I learned from my Calligraphy teacher: Practice, Patience & Perserverance!  (pretty sure I spelled that wrong)

side note: I sucked at Calligraphy- heavy left hander

Lesson 3 Leaf 02.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 9
  • Love 3

While I LOVE all your classes Cassel, I probably won't be able to learn much right now. I appreciate the fact that they will be viewable for 7 days after but unfortunately Summer is not a good time for me. Never in one spot for very long lol. I just skimmed over lesson 3 and as usual you are great at the explaining:)

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Lesson 4 result. Bit more of a challenge and learnt a few things but will probably forget what I did. Will have to play a bit more I think. I filled image in and used the shadowing technique that we have been taught in the past by Carole. Anyway, TFL.

SGH-Coffee Cup-20-07-2023.jpg

SGH-Coffee Cup-Vector Lesson 4-20-07-2023.jpg

• Like 7
  • WOW 2
  • Love 9

It's actually getting easier, but I am not good enough to save a preset yet. The mug has a layer style applied with my own pattern. The smoke is from a brush. I wish 

that I had added rounder corners to the bottom. 

dsmug2wsmoke.jpg

Edited by Donna Sillia
  • Like 9
  • Love 4

Lesson 4, Whew I made it through!

I used the written instructions for CRAC - PASTE, seemed easier as I could read and go slow.  I once had the top shape cut but couldnt get the 4 "move" arrows, they didnt just appear like they did with the handle.  Wonder what I did to get them for the handle.  So I deleted that vector layer two more times before I slowed it down by reading the written instructions.  Then I had no bounding box to move that shape on the cup.  I didnt know what to click so I finally clicked on the edit button up top and sure enough there was the box and the 4 arrows.  Then I saw on the video that you had the Edit toggled.  

Question1:  Was I supposed to have "edit" toggled BEFORE I started with the CRAC - PASTE steps?

Question2:  I am saving these all as presets for practice, if I want to delete them, do I just go to the windows file where they are (in my case D-Drive>My PSP Resources) and delete them, or do I delete them from the preset menu (insead of the other or do I do both). 

Question3 (sorry):  The working files we are using when making the shapes, do we need to keep them once the shape is Exported as a Preset Shape?

Thank you for your help, I really need it and appreciate it.  I'm going to practice more CRAC-PASTE, having problems with it means I need more practice. I will continue to stick with the basic shapes until I "get it".  I wont be making anything pretty, but I sure hope others keep doing it as it's quite inspiring to see what to do with these shapes once they are made.  Thank you to the people who got it nailed, it keeps me keeping on. 

Lesson 4 Cup 01-600.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 9
  • Love 2

32 minutes ago, Sheila Hogg said:

Lesson 4 result. Bit more of a challenge and learnt a few things but will probably forget what I did. Will have to play a bit more I think. I filled image in and used the shadowing technique that we have been taught in the past by Carole. Anyway, TFL.

SGH-Coffee Cup-20-07-2023.jpg

SGH-Coffee Cup-Vector Lesson 4-20-07-2023.jpg

Is it wrong to say you have beautiful curves?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Question1:  Was I supposed to have "edit" toggled BEFORE I started with the CRAC - PASTE steps?

Yes, you should have the Edit mode set as soon as you are finished drawing. I find that occasionally if I miss clicking on a node, it seems like PSP thinks that I want to draw some more, and the mode changes to the Drawing line.

4 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Question2:  I am saving these all as presets for practice, if I want to delete them, do I just go to the windows file where there are (in my case D-Drive>My PSP Resources) and delete them, or do I delete them from the preset menu (insead of the other or do I do both). 

If you want to delete a file, yes, you can just go and delete the .pspshape file. However, be careful if one shape that you want to delete is part of a multi-shape file. In that case, there is no way to delete just the shape without deleting the others in the same file.

5 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Question3 (sorry):  The working files we are using when making the shapes, do we need to keep them once the shape is Exported as a Preset Shape?

Good question. The answer is no. In fact, if you ever need to edit one shape that you created, you will want to open the .pspshape file, which will behave just like a .pspimage, and then, you will re-export it.

And to everyone: keep those questions coming. For ONE person who posts a question, FIFTY more wondered the same thing (but didn't dare ask) and they all thank you for asking in the first place.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Cassel said:

Yes, you should have the Edit mode set as soon as you are finished drawing. I find that occasionally if I miss clicking on a node, it seems like PSP thinks that I want to draw some more, and the mode changes to the Drawing line.

If you want to delete a file, yes, you can just go and delete the .pspshape file. However, be careful if one shape that you want to delete is part of a multi-shape file. In that case, there is no way to delete just the shape without deleting the others in the same file.

Good question. The answer is no. In fact, if you ever need to edit one shape that you created, you will want to open the .pspshape file, which will behave just like a .pspimage, and then, you will re-export it.

And to everyone: keep those questions coming. For ONE person who posts a question, FIFTY more wondered the same thing (but didn't dare ask) and they all thank you for asking in the first place.

Thank you Carole.  RE: Queston 1,  I was getting a start node if I clicked anywhere on the canvas.  This clears up why.  Good to know about multiple shapes in one file (if I want to delete).  I would not have thought of that.  Keeping the shapes I make in the workshop might be good (based on Question 3), because it's the .pspimage file.  I didnt know I could re-edit it.  I might clean them up once I am more proficient, saves time from having to start again.

• Like 2

I am doing the coffee cup and saucer.  I have tried 3 times to get the cut out to work and I'm not able to do it.  I go step by step with you but it's not removing the handle space.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I'm trying to stick with it but these are times I get frustrated and drop out.  I'm really wanting to stick with it and conquer my lack of sticktuitiveness.... is that a word?  lol  HELP

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Deana Davis said:

'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I'm trying to stick with it but these are times I get frustrated and drop out.  I'm really wanting to stick with it and conquer my lack of sticktuitiveness.... is that a word?  lol  HELP

First, make sure that you are still in the Edit mode. Sometimes, it changes if you happened to click and "miss" a node or something.

Otherwise, at which step does it differ from the video?

Here are the Day 2 exercises. We have been hit by storms for the last two days, knocking out power for 5-6 hours at a time. More are forecast for this evening. 

In addition to storm cleanup, a substation shorted out because of a snake. It's not unusual around here, and it is a fairly quick fix. But it took someone off other jobs to take care of it.

Echoing other folks, I am learning a lot. 

GNL-Day2_Label01-600.jpg

GNL-Day2_Label02-600.jpg

GNL-Day2_Label03-600.jpg

GNL-Day2-SpeechBubble-600.jpg

GNL-Group01-600.jpg

• Like 11
  • Love 4

LESSON 01 heart & Arrow 

This set my mind to wondering what is the first thing I love after family...

Font used Impact

Shadow om separate layers and used Cass's paper shadow settings on separate layers. I hope I did that the right way.

Paper from Chantahlia Design

Lesson 01 BEACH VEDCTOR hEART N ARROW.jpg

Edited by Dorothy Donn
add font etc. info
  • Like 11
  • Love 1

54 minutes ago, Deana Davis said:

I am doing the coffee cup and saucer.  I have tried 3 times to get the cut out to work and I'm not able to do it.  I go step by step with you but it's not removing the handle space.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I'm trying to stick with it but these are times I get frustrated and drop out.  I'm really wanting to stick with it and conquer my lack of sticktuitiveness.... is that a word?  lol  HELP

Stick with it, I had the exact same problem.  For me it was the edit mode wasnt toggled on.  I get the frustration, especially when you dont know where it went south.  I had many do overs, and didnt want to end on a bad note.  Having said that, sometimes you need to walk away for a bit and come back later.  that works too.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Leslie Gifford Cook said:

I didn't get the email for Day 4.  I've checked my spam folders too.  I did change the update notifications to once per day, but I thought that was just for this forum, not the emails from Cassel.

Let me forward you a copy.

@Marie-ClaireIt was a challenge to make that leaf? The result is good!

@MicheleGlad that you pushed through. You are doing great. Now that you know more about those node types, you will get more precise paths.

@Cristina I also wish that the control arms were a bit thicker so they would be easier to see. 

@Marvin Fojtasek Did you manage to make a cutout in the end?

@Linda J WalkerYou CAN have a preset shape with different colors, however, when you will use it as a preset shape to draw an image, if you uncheck the Retain Style, then ALL the objects will take on the Stroke and Fill colors from the Materials palette. But, you should still be able to make and export a preset shape with different colors. Sometimes, using different colors can even be a way to see better if you were to use a complex design.

@sharon thompson Yes, working with vectors can be quite tedious, but luckily, once exported, you can reuse them over and over again! And then, tweak them further! And deleting a node instead of merging is such an "intuitive" thing to do, but as you see, it is the wrong one to do!

@fiona cook Of course you are encouraged to follow along and if needed, use the same shapes as in the tutorial. Nobody would complain about that!!! 

@Anja Pelzer I am glad you enjoy the lessons. You are doing great too!

@Natalie Spooner Yes, vectors can be a bit challenging. You will see that it will get easier with practice.

@bina greene Did you manage to get the correct dialog window by double-clicking the OBJECT instead of the vector LAYER?

@Theresa Di CesareOnce you do the PASTE command, the nodes SHOULD be all selected by default with a bounding box and from there, you would grab the center "node" to move all the shape. Unfortunately, if you miss the mark and click a little be off, that bounding box disappears and that can be frustrating if the cutout shape is hard to select again, in one rectangle.

@Bobby YeaterDid you include the diamonds in the shape or are they just added afterward? I think you are doing great despite the challenges you had.

@Susan EwartPractice, practice, and more practice. You are doing well so far. Maybe I should make a frame for the CRAC-Paste mnemonic! (or maybe a t-Shirt?)

@Donna Come to the lessons when you can. And then, post as you progress.

@Sheila Hogg Believe it or not, I still have to go back to my mnemonic when I want to do cutouts. Even though it LOOKS like it is easy for me in the videos, I still need my notes close by!

@Donna Sillia "Getting easier" is the whole purpose of those practices. Keep it up.

@Connie CollierWith or without the zip file, you definitely found another way to practice.

@Deana Davis That gradient looks great on your shape!

@Gerry LandrethIt is great to see such dedicated students! That is motivating me to keep going.

@Dorothy DonnThat is a great start!

@Leslie Gifford CookWill we see some projects from you?

@rjay segura I am happy to read that you are learning something new from those lessons.

I know that Lesson 4 is a bit more challenging than the previous lessons, but don't despair. If you are stuck, you can either go back to the start and follow one step at a time, but if it is still not working, just take a break. If you are still stuck, just post the question in the forum. Don't be shy. Half of the participants will have experienced the same issue! You will just be in good company.

See you tomorrow. It should be easier this time! ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Cassel said:

Practice, practice, and more practice. You are doing well so far. Maybe I should make a frame for the CRAC-Paste mnemonic! (or maybe a t-Shirt?)

I'd buy the T-shirt for sure...or a framed print I can put right up on the wall beside the computer.  Here is another one from Lesson 4.  I made separate vectors for the cup and the saucer, then when all the cut outs were done I put the saucer layer in with the cup layer so i could export them as one file.  When working on the liquid cut out at the top of the cup I thought when will I make it look even and smooth and then when I tested the preset shape it doesnt look as bad when it's much smaller.  I put a little more nodes on the cup to see if it made smoother curves and it did in some instances and not in others.  So I got some practice at merging today, I kept hovering over delete and remembered that's not the one.  Much practice is still needed but I see an improvement since lesson one.  

Lesson 4 Cup and Saucer 02-600 .jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 5

I forgot to make the hole for the coffee or tea, but it is getting easier. I had the nodes set to medium and changed them to small, and a lot of problems vanished. I also changed the DPI on my mouse and lowered the speed. The mouse is no longer jumping around so much that the symbols changed so fast that I couldn't grab them. I forgot the second hole, and there are a few things I could change. Since I saved the original vector, I will be able to do that. I am not happy with the jagged edges on the saucer.

dsflowercup.jpg

Edited by Donna Sillia
  • Like 8
  • Love 5

3 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I'd buy the T-shirt for sure...or a framed print I can put right up on the wall beside the computer.  Here is another one from Lesson 4.  I made separate vectors for the cup and the saucer, then when all the cut outs were done I put the saucer layer in with the cup layer so i could export them as one file.  When working on the liquid cut out at the top of the cup I thought when will I make it look even and smooth and then when I tested the preset shape it doesnt look as bad when it's much smaller.  I put a little more nodes on the cup to see if it made smoother curves and it did in some instances and not in others.  So I got some practice at merging today, I kept hovering over delete and remembered that's not the one.  Much practice is still needed but I see an improvement since lesson one.  

Lesson 4 Cup and Saucer 02-600 .jpg

I should have made separate vectors, too. That is probably why my saucer has jagged edges. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1
  • Love 1