Greeting Card Workshop - 2022

Cassel

Thank you, Carole.  I probably won't use that as a Christmas card this year, though I do love that picture and is a special memory :)

I found the other cupcake from Card #2  at DigitalScrapbook.com along with the other one.  I have been a member of that site for years and keep forgetting to use it as a resource!  :)

Day 6 and another christmas card. I followed the tutorial as far as the recoloring of the paper and the straightening of the ribbon (that was a new one for me). In stead of the oval I made a watercolor of my photo of the redberries with the watercolor script. The font is Michalina by Creative Fabrica if I'm not mistaken. I probably won't print in this format, but just as a double card, or use only the front for email or wattsapp.

Card 5.  Sticking with the "camera" theme.  A herculean effort this summer to sell all my silversmithing supplies and tools so I could purchase this camera and lens adapters (the lenses I want are as much as the body or more, like I say, it's a pipe dream for those).  I'm calling that the "pregnancy" for the "birth" (purchase) of my new camera.

Sue, those tags are fabulous, I would never have thought to use them in that way.  I had a few of the punches but never really used them, except once this summer.  I am glad we used them in the workshop.  I also want them all.  Hoping for a Black Friday Sale! (hint hint).

Carole, I have a question.  I used the "blinds" texture on the white strip and ended up lowering the opacity because when I left it the way I liked it, the letters floated on the top and didnt sink into the blind contours.  It was a PNG transparent file that I did the 45 degree angle like in the last card.  Is there a way to make the word look like it was printed on the blinds texture.

I loved learning about the grouping.  That's a big time saver.  Suzy, your post on what you've learned was so good to read.  So smart to jot things down right away.  I always think I'll do it later then I dont and I scramble to find where the instructions for a technique is.

large.1954707092_CardWorkshop-Card5-fron

Forgot to add:

Sharla, loved your New Years card, elements and colors are perfect.

Carole: that background paper in card 3 (HO HO HO) is from the Kit called "Seth" and it's in with the elements "kit" not the solids. It's by Rachel Martin at DigitalScrapbook.com. There is 3 colors; Red (more like Magenta-Red), Blue, Yellow.  they are very pretty, I pasted mine in at full size so I could choose the area I wanted to show. Which brings up a question with printing:

When designing a card for email we can have our papers or elements coming past the canvas edges, but with printing would we need to go and select what's sticking over and delete them.  Would a printer "see" that and want to print it?

Susan #87020 - When I worked in advertising and design many years ago, everything that was printed on a commercial press, had a 1/8" bleed added to the paste-up board. So if something was going to be 8" x 10", the paste-up board would have 1/8" on each side, so the image area would be 8 1/4" x 10 1/4", with a trim of 8" x 10". The reason for the bleed is that they can't be certain the machine will always trim on the trim line, so you add 1/8" so the color will extend off the edge if the cut is off a bit. If I am printing something at home, and trimming it by hand, I don't add that 1/8" bleed because I can be more precise when I am hand trimming it. If you are having it printed with a commercial printer and they are going to have to trim it to size, they will probably want you to have the 1/8" bleed. But I would really ask the printer! Today they can print photos that are borderless, and even my home printer does a pretty good job of borderless 4x6 prints, that are printed on 4x6 paper and not trimmed.

I hope that helps, and  I hope I did not make more confusion!

Losing Track thinks this is day 6, unfortunately, I had to blot out my Granddaughter's beautiful face, but it's still on my original.

After spending a couple of hours making this, I pressed shift /enter by mistake and it completely disappeared and I had to restart, does anyone know where this would have gone too and is it recoverable xx

Don't know what Fonts I used on this, there are a few,   I usually just write what I need , highlight it and run down the text file till it changes to something I like

I'm sorry Trish, I don't know where it goes. I *think* the clipboard empties when you restart and everything goes *pouf*.

Here is mine. I hate it.  I thought it looked like a for sale sign with that ribbon crossed at the top - and added the chains but didn't bother centering them because the whole thing is awful.

What I learned -- Note to self: Use a straight ribbon if you're worried about it. That warp brush was horrible.

Question: why didn’t she smooth or feather that oval (photo) selection? And why isn’t it pixilated?

Promote selection to a layer. (Never did this before)

Using the Hue map (which I had never done before)

Warp brush to straighten ribbon (which I will leave to the experts)

Spacing and directions on 1/4 fold or 4-fold card with text inside. (which I shall remember)

Real Estate Announcement

Linda, #87023, what a great explanation for the bleed. I know wee bit (like a Barbie sized thimble amount-haha) about bleed, but not much experience with it.  I actually work at a newspaper web press (much different than offset press and the new fangled digital wonders they have now; would be cool to work in a place like that).  We have a stitching machine that does cut 3 sides and I see what the purpose of the bleed/registration marks etc are.  Especially because when the signatures come off the web press they have a lap which has to be cut off.  Isnt paper/bookbinding/cardmaking/printing really interesting.  Or is it just me.  Lucky you got to work that closely in the industry.  Would have been my dream job back then.  I was either working on horse breeding farms or in photofinishing back when I should have follow my love for paper.

Susan, I spent my time on the 'drawing board' side of the fence. I wish I had more opportunity to be in the printshop and see how it all worked! I did try to see as many of the finished print jobs as I could, but often they were getting shipped to the client, and I was chained to my drawing board. It might be a month later when we would get some print copies. Unless the client was unhappy with the job, then we would hear about it sooner :(

Suzy (#86965), the reason I was not using the Open as Layer script is simply that not everyone has it. I also often need to resize if an image is MUCH too large as the handles of the Pick tool are way out. You have quite a list of new tips you learned. Wow! that, in a simple 7-day workshop! (#87026) Are you referring to the oval in the template not being pixelated? Because I created it with a vector shape, which is not pixellated like a selection.

Shirley (#86967), those paw prints are nicely aligned correctly. Good work.

Susan (#86968), you can print that card and send it inside other cards you send to relatives! (#87019), the simplest way to get text to look like it is printed on the texture is to use Blend modes. Also, check the store newsletter tomorrow (hint, hint). (#87020), for printing, only what is inside the canvas will be considered.

James (#86970), great idea to add the photo. She is a cutie.

Monique (#86971), when you are unsure about shadows, play around. Sometimes, if you reduce the opacity, it makes the shadow more subtle and gives a different effect. We tend to adjust the offset, but the opacity can also be tweaked.

Sue (#86974), I was considering a whole class on tags for December, but it won't be for this year. I have other projects in mind. Maybe next year? Or maybe not for the holidays at all? (#87001) How could we have guessed that you would do some wordart for the inside??

Sharla (#86976), great idea to have a card for that occasion. Although I provide seven themes for the cards in this workshop, I have not counted how many different themes we have had so far!

Ann (#86980), that ribbon turned out great! And congratulations!

Lyn (#86997), you tweaked the template with circles instead of squares behind the flowers. Amazing how a little tweak makes a card look so different.

Kasany (#87003), since your font is already quite ornate, have you considered lowering the opacity and increasing the blur of the shadow? It would make it easier to read, I think.

Sharon (#87004), that site is such a great resource, isn't it? And you are definitely allowed to share a link to resources for others. A lot of participants love to know where they can get this element or that font. Just beware that sometimes, the system does not like links and if it has hiccups, the post will "disappear". If that ever happens, drop me a message and I'll pull it out of the "pending" folder.

Marie-Claire (#87006), using that tongue for a color is not something I would have thought of, and it is perfectly matching the whole photo too!

Lois (#87012), I am a little puzzled why the ribbon shows through/over your little baby. Is the clipart translucent? If so, you might want to erase the ribbon where the clipart is so it does not distract from the faces.

Sheila (#87014), great work in interlacing the lights with the frame. You used the interlacing technique, didn't you?

Corrie (#87016), although all those cards CAN be printed, I am not expecting everyone to do so. It does make for interesting tutorials in case you need them later.

Nancy (#87017), I agree that those images are perfect for that card.

Louyse (#87022), that photo is cute!!!!

Trish (#87025), it is totally understandable that you have to hide her face to respect her privacy if she asked you to. But I am sure she will like the original without the blur. I am not sure where the image would go when you do Shift-Enter because in the keyboard map, there is nothing associated with that key combination.

Bonnie (#87028), even without a pickleball image, there is still a hint! You are probably going to be the one source for the most pickleball-related greeting cards!

Tomorrow will be the last tutorial. Are you ready?

Here is my Card 4. I selected Mr.Mooch to be the Star.  The heart scatters and doodle are from Digital Scrapbooking and Pin Interest. The Font is Hesthia Austine from Creative Fabrica, the cutout is from Carole's store. I love those brushes. It was fun learning how to create a  diamond pattern. Thank you Carole!d-4-Valentine-scaledsCard-4-Valentine-scaled

Susan & Linda: While we're chatting about print-work experience I'd like to join in as I spent many years working in either the shop or advertising departments of two different newspapers. I still have the "roar" of the presses soothing me to sleep at night! ( ;-) ) Here's a layout I did awhile back about my experience with papers.

Card 6.  I agree with Suzy, that warp brush can get away on you.  Carole is right, tiny movements are needed.  I added some texture to the white background as it seemed really flat without it.  this size might now show.  I used the supplies from the tutorial as well as the font.  This was really interesting to see how it made for folding.  I saw Stephan (in the gallery) also added text to the back, I like that idea.  Carole, you really packed a lot of information into these videos, thank you.  I'm glad to see the Hue Map used again.  Last time I saw a tutorial (on the Hue Map) I was lost, this time it made more sense to me.  Photo is mine.u6dgyqcev1hlf1jxu7w7m2rc36t4bmed.jpg8zoaxqkypmhgw0wzt1lh681jzo8njsjp.jpg