September 2024 - RANDOM Challenge - Back and front

Cassel

22 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

WOW!  and WOW!  I love this. It blows my mind all the different ways you come up with.  

I am most appreciative of your  mind blowing  words!  The photo I used, although I love it for it's simplicity and plainness, it isn't really a wow shot. Saying that I could see it had potential for this challenge. The 2 juxtaposed images after editing shows the contrast between the bright colours of the robin and  the light shades of the other.  Thanks to the  power of PSP editing. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

I decided to do another one, something quite different, but a layout I like to do, as many may know. Hopefully, whilst  abiding within the rules of this challenge.  Duplicated the photo, promoted a selection, in this case the Robin. Created the frame using  a heart font, extracted the  head to give that out of bounds efffect. All I did for the background was to lower the brightness and contrast, Keeping the framed Robin colours as they were taken by the camera.  Male Robin taking a blueberry back to the nest. After he had, had his fill. 

Robins 8 Aug (20).jpg

I already told you on FB that I may be "scraplifting" this idea; I love it so much.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2024 at 5:03 PM, Corrie Kinkel said:

As soon as I read this back and front challenge I thought of the sketch made with cass-PencilSketch script of a windmill. Because the sketch is on a beige paper I made a background paper of the same colors to let the sketch blend in with the background. On the actual photo of that mill I used Jessica Dunn's mask for the June 2024 photomask challenge on digitalscrapbook.com. The postage-stamp is made with my own script and was already in my stash. Because the layout needed something extra I used an inked edge from Rachel M Hailey, she has a couple of them in different colors. It is a simple layout but when I tried some embellishments it didn't work.

Back&Front-Challenge-sept.2024-600.jpg

On 9/22/2024 at 5:03 PM, Corrie Kinkel said:

As soon as I read this back and front challenge I thought of the sketch made with cass-PencilSketch script of a windmill. Because the sketch is on a beige paper I made a background paper of the same colors to let the sketch blend in with the background. On the actual photo of that mill I used Jessica Dunn's mask for the June 2024 photomask challenge on digitalscrapbook.com. The postage-stamp is made with my own script and was already in my stash. Because the layout needed something extra I used an inked edge from Rachel M Hailey, she has a couple of them in different colors. It is a simple layout but when I tried some embellishments it didn't work.

Back&Front-Challenge-sept.2024-600.jpg

I really liked the inked edges and found them and tried one.  I don't know what embellishments you tried, but I used the magic wand on one set to inside-tolerance 70-not contgious -no feather--and was able to flood fill that selected area with a gradient and it worked OK.  It did take a bit of playing around to get it to select just the colored part with no white on the inside. Here is one corner of it.

rachelM-hailey-inked-edge04 shopped corner.jpg

• Like 4
  • WOW 1

5 hours ago, Anne Lamp said:

I really liked the inked edges and found them and tried one.  I don't know what embellishments you tried, but I used the magic wand on one set to inside-tolerance 70-not contgious -no feather--and was able to flood fill that selected area with a gradient and it worked OK.  It did take a bit of playing around to get it to select just the colored part with no white on the inside. Here is one corner of it.

rachelM-hailey-inked-edge04 shopped corner.jpg

You made a great variation of the inked edges! Nice that you described how you did it.

• Like 4

I made a "road trip" this week (unexpectedly) and ended up in a county (Ontario) to the east which is predominantly agricultural. I passed an old barn which was set in the middle of corn fields with only a rutted track to get to it. On the way back, I had to stop and try the track (which was, fortunately, dry) and get some pix.

I have always loved old barns. They are a throwback to an earlier age of settlement (here in Canada) that speaks to the richness of community despite the distances. Men and women gathered to help new neighbours in a "barn raiser" that took not much more than one day of labour by everyone involved. Most of them are now gone, but occasionally a real remnant can be found.

The background image is treated as Sepia Effect with an Overlay blend against the blue background. The frame on the colour image is from ET Designs.

Barn layout for Sep challenge SBC back & front_600.jpg

• Love 8

43 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

I made a "road trip" this week (unexpectedly) and ended up in a county (Ontario) to the east which is predominantly agricultural. I passed an old barn which was set in the middle of corn fields with only a rutted track to get to it. On the way back, I had to stop and try the track (which was, fortunately, dry) and get some pix.

I have always loved old barns. They are a throwback to an earlier age of settlement (here in Canada) that speaks to the richness of community despite the distances. Men and women gathered to help new neighbours in a "barn raiser" that took not much more than one day of labour by everyone involved. Most of them are now gone, but occasionally a real remnant can be found.

The background image is treated as Sepia Effect with an Overlay blend against the blue background. The frame on the colour image is from ET Designs.

I also enjoy old barns. There's a TV show:Barnwood Builders follows Mark Bowe, whose West Virginia company purchases old barns and log cabins in order to reuse the hand-hewn logs in modern housebuilding. You might enjoy it. I think it is on HGTV or a channel like that. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3286608/episodes/?year=2017

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

That's really beautiful Julie.  I too, love old barns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been wanting to use this photo I took of my Foxy and thought this was a good place to play with it. She is a rescue and they said she was a Yorkie-Pom mix.  I call her the harry beast most of the time because she has the Pomeranian  undercoat and sheds all the time.  I am just glad she isn't the size of a Great Dane.  Oh well, I still love her to death.

FOXY page pink twirl 5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 6

8 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Beautiful concept, Julie. I really love your design choices. That blue works very well. btw, my proofreader persona tells me there is no "t" in relics. 😉 (Thank goodness with digital work  corrections are easy-peasy!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

I also enjoy old barns. There's a TV show:Barnwood Builders follows Mark Bowe, whose West Virginia company purchases old barns and log cabins in order to reuse the hand-hewn logs in modern housebuilding. You might enjoy it. I think it is on HGTV or a channel like that. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3286608/episodes/?year=2017

That would be right up my alley, Bonnie. But I don't have cable (only antenna) so probably won't be able to see it. Maybe they have some stuff on YouTube.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Beautiful concept, Julie. I really love your design choices. That blue works very well. btw, my proofreader persona tells me there is no "t" in relics. 😉 (Thank goodness with digital work  corrections are easy-peasy!)

Thanks Ann, and I always appreciate when someone catches my grammar/spelling bloops. However, the word "relict" does mean something left over, or a remnant. In old obituaries, the woman who died was often referred to as "relict of so-and-so" meaning the widow. But that raises another question. What I think now is that "from the past" might be redundant since "relict"connotes the past. Funny how semantics come into layouts, eh? But, as you say, it's easy to change in digital form.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Very lovely and good you took the time to explore! I sadly live in a small and very regulated and country where you can't see such great barn structures. The most we might have are old sheds on a yard and they are not very pittoresk and the farmer won't be happy if you took a photo of it either.

• Like 3

On 9/21/2024 at 4:12 PM, Daniel Hess said:

Frame is from Cassel, the reading dragon came off the internet.  Rest was just "Moi". Font was Fraktur BT at 550 Pixels.

large.September2024RandomChallenge.jpg.b1e0f012d7a790b5f53a6d858c0db07a.jpg

Fine idea. One pic, two different way created:)))

• Thanks 1