Story Time Workshop - 2024

Cassel

StoryTimeWorkshop-Preview.jpg

First of all, come and say HI if once you register for this workshop.

We want to know who else will be there, on our side to cheer us up.

Remember that it is NOT a contest. It is a friendly workshop to get you to do something you might not have thought of doing before.

Once the Workshop is started, on July 22nd, you can post your pages, and your stories here (if it is too small to read, you can always copy and paste the text, if you want).

Remember to resize your image to about 600 pixels before uploading it so it won't slow down the site when we have lots of your masterpieces.

The workshop will include prompts and downloadable templates (for you to be creative) and quick-pages (if you are in a hurry). Although the same seven templates/quick-pages will be used as in two years ago, there will also be some additional supplies for our DIAMOND members.

If you found this thread without seeing the registration page, you can go and register (remember, it is FREE).

Register now

And bring a friend over!

• Love 1

I saw there were two templates, and because flowers didn't seem to fit, I chose the other one.  To choose the text outline, I first selected all of the stars and rectangles, and then inverted the selection. Then, I unselected everything outside of the story page.  Finally, I condensed the selection to where it looked like good spacing to me.  The poem box was a pain, because putting text in it kept the text horizontal. If I rotated it, it kept the angled shape. So, I copied that rectangle, pasted it as a separate image, used the straighten tool to make it horizontal, selected the inside, cut out an approximate of where the star would be, placed the text in it, merged visible, and pasted it back into the layer it came from - of course, rotating it back where it had been. Whew!StoryTime-Challenge-Day1topost.jpg.066d171c8e24b02def84bac50041501c.jpg

Edited by Dan Greenwood
Misspelling
  • Love 8

I used the Diamond template, but did quite a bit of revising. I still have my original baby book and scanned the cover and the first page that was written by my mother. I made the plaid using cass-stripes 2 script and the colors from the front  page. The teddy bears are my own which were lined up using cass-repeat script. The title font is a layered font called Edith from CF. I recolored it and used cass-element stacking script and then the cass textcreator script. My birthday is in January so I used the garnets and garnet January from the Calendar workshop. The text script is called Domitian which is an open source font.

dsday1mynameisdonna.jpg

Edited by Donna Sillia
add shadows
  • Love 7

4 hours ago, Minka Glasier said:

I just used the basic one given as I was off to the dentist chair ... but it was vibrant and pretty and had blooms on it which I am STILL waiting on here!  I'll take the digital blooms if that is all I can get!  LOL

Minka600.jpg

I'm so glad to see you back, Minka.  Are you in Maine or Florida? Do you still winter in Florida and summer in Maine?

• Like 2

On 7/14/2024 at 6:19 AM, Cassel said:

StoryTimeWorkshop-Preview.jpg

First of all, come and say HI if once you register for this workshop.

We want to know who else will be there, on our side to cheer us up.

Remember that it is NOT a contest. It is a friendly workshop to get you to do something you might not have thought of doing before.

Once the Workshop is started, on July 22nd, you can post your pages, and your stories here (if it is too small to read, you can always copy and paste the text, if you want).

Remember to resize your image to about 600 pixels before uploading it so it won't slow down the site when we have lots of your masterpieces.

The workshop will include prompts and downloadable templates (for you to be creative) and quick-pages (if you are in a hurry). Although the same seven templates/quick-pages will be used as in two years ago, there will also be some additional supplies for our DIAMOND members.

If you found this thread without seeing the registration page, you can go and register (remember, it is FREE).

Register now

And bring a friend over!

My name.jpg

• Love 10

5 hours ago, Donna Sillia said:

I used the Diamond template, but did quite a bit of revising. I still have my original baby book and scanned the cover and the first page that was written by my mother. I made the plaid using cass-stripes 2 script and the colors from the front  page. The teddy bears are my own which were lined up using cass-repeat script. The title font is a layered font called Edith from CF. I recolored it and used cass-element stacking script and then the cass textcreator script. My birthday is in January so I used the garnets and garnet January from the Calendar workshop. The text script is called Domitian which is an open source font.

dsday1mynameisdonna.jpg

I was able to read your moms letter to you, it is beautiful.

• WOW 1
  • Love 2

I am glad to see these layouts. It will be an opportunity to learn a little bit more about each other! Welcome to newcomers who have not posted yet. You are allowed to lurk, but we would LOVE to see you post too.

@Ann Seeber I don't know if I would ever call you Annie. You always will be Ann for me!

@Julie Magerka It is ok if you want to create pages on your own. Templates are shortcuts for some, but not everyone!

@Daniel Hess You are lucky to have so many photos to showcase! 

@Dan Greenwood Very resourceful way to add the wrapped text on an angle! Good work.

@Donna Sillia Oh... you have a nice sample of your mother's handwriting. Have you ever considered turning it into an alpha or even a font??? Imagine being able to "write in her voice and handwriting"!!!

@Minka Glasier Do you have any idea how your name went from Marita Ray to Minka?

@Bill Pearson That is a great compromise for the name.

With over 50 registrants, I hope we will read more interesting stories! Keep them coming.

13 hours ago, Donna Sillia said:

dsday1mynameisdonna.jpg

Donna what a lovely letter from your mom, something to cherish for ever! With a fair bit of enlarging I just was able to read it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I could not duplicate the vector without it going to one single line immediately.  I had duplicated the layout to test it, good thing I did or I would have had to re-type it all in.  I just converted to raster and counted my blessings it worked.  

StoryTime WS - Day 1 Cabbage Patch Kid-600-1.jpg

Susan you have written before about you being adopted but this is the first time I hear the the expression Cabbage Patch Kid. In the older days we had a saying that a baby came out of a (red) cabbage, or was brought by a stork. So in a way this makes sense and was used elsewhere too.

• Like 1

This layout was a bit of a difficult "birth" so to speak. I have done this workshop/challenge before and didn't want to repeat what I had done. I'm doing the AAM (All About Me) challenge as well and that is a bit overlapping with this workshop. I'm intending to print the layouts from the AAM and like to be able to combine that with the ones I'm making now. Firstly I had to come up with a topic for today and after some searching my stash and the net came up with the story of my baptism. When I started to work on the actual layout my PSP starting to misbehave badly and just before I was posting here I realized I had made a spelling error, which in itself was easy to correct, because I learned the hard way to always and always keep my text in vector format!!!!! I have a copy of the text in Dutch as well because I do the AAM in Dutch. For the background I made an overlay with the crosses which are a cass-picture tube from another challenge. The fonts are Arial and Arienne for the title. The cross on the left was made with a blend mode to get rid of the black version in which I found it on the net.

StoryTime-Workshop-Day1-600.jpg

• Love 9

4 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

This layout was a bit of a difficult "birth" so to speak. I have done this workshop/challenge before and didn't want to repeat what I had done. I'm doing the AAM (All About Me) challenge as well and that is a bit overlapping with this workshop. I'm intending to print the layouts from the AAM and like to be able to combine that with the ones I'm making now. Firstly I had to come up with a topic for today and after some searching my stash and the net came up with the story of my baptism. When I started to work on the actual layout my PSP starting to misbehave badly and just before I was posting here I realized I had made a spelling error, which in itself was easy to correct, because I learned the hard way to always and always keep my text in vector format!!!!! I have a copy of the text in Dutch as well because I do the AAM in Dutch. For the background I made an overlay with the crosses which are a cass-picture tube from another challenge. The fonts are Arial and Arienne for the title. The cross on the left was made with a blend mode to get rid of the black version in which I found it on the net.

StoryTime-Workshop-Day1-600.jpg

That is a beautiful layout Corrie.  Good idea to tie this workshop with the All About Me challenge.  It will make a comprehensive book.  I cant even duplicate my vector when it's made in a selection.  It just automatically goes to a straight line.  I think I'll start using 2022 if I feel like I want to do wrapped text in a selection.