What are you working on (in March 2024)?

Cassel

7 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

How great that we can spend a lifetime continually learning something we love.  

I have a curious mind and want to keep learning...anything...until the end.

• Like 5

@Michele I have a curious mind and want to keep learning...anything...until the end.

I totally agree.

I have captured the Layout of @Sue Thomas (Thank you) and the conversations between her and @Susan Ewart (Thank you) that are very informative and instructive,

@Cassel Thank you for this group and your instructions and the group you have formed here.

Edited by Mary Solaas
  • Like 3
  • Love 3

Over the hump: page four of my seven stocks project. On peanut butter. Any fans here? Supplies myself, fonts again Pacifico on title and Lato on body.

By now I think I need an extra double page spread before the initial page one on canned tuna and move the first part of the text on page one to that preceding page...( questions...) project.

spacer.png

Edited by bina greene
  • Like 2
  • Love 6

Yesterday was a beautiful day, sun shining as it almost always does.  Generating more and more heat every day, brought out the first of the ground squirrels.  Temperature raised to +13c.

Of course I had to take photos of them, also fed them with carrots and nuts.   Which they filled their cheeks with to take back to their burrows.  The three that emerged were half grown, undoubtedly born later in the season last year.  There was a bitter cold wind today, which meant they weren't going to venture out. At least yesterday they had a chance to replenish their larders. 

Continuing with  the topic of photography, when I  take photos there are several  thoughts on my mind, such as  visualizing how the shot will look. Lighting, distracting objects, angle and so on.  Hoping to take a  shot that will appeal to a wide audience, evoke emotion and compel myself and  any viewer to keeping looking.     In my opinion, that is  the essence  of a good photo.   The same applies to my layouts. When you create layouts, what  thoughts run through your  mind?

Ground squirrels 18 March (3).jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 2
  • Love 7

Today a flock of around 30 Redpolls stopped off en route north for a feed.  The snow is slowly going.  It would appear I sparked some interest in the technique I used the other day and again in this  layout. I've given some tips, but should anyone need  more instruction, let me know. 

I created a word frame with a twist,  outlined text on the letters R and F, lifted the one comrer.

I forgot to mention that I created  the letterboard, in the previous layout,  matching the colour of the wood frame  with the  ground squirrels.

Redpoll Finches.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 6

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

Yesterday was a beautiful day, sun shining as it almost always does.  Generating more and more heat every day, brought out the first of the ground squirrels.  Temperature raised to +13c.

Of course I had to take photos of them, also fed them with carrots and nuts.   Which they filled their cheeks with to take back to their burrows.  The three that emerged were half grown, undoubtedly born later in the season last year.  There was a bitter cold wind today, which meant they weren't going to venture out. At least yesterday they had a chance to replenish their larders. 

Continuing with  the topic of photography, when I  take photos there are several  thoughts on my mind, such as  visualizing how the shot will look. Lighting, distracting objects, angle and so on.  Hoping to take a  shot that will appeal to a wide audience, evoke emotion and compel myself and  any viewer to keeping looking.     In my opinion, that is  the essence  of a good photo.   The same applies to my layouts. When you create layouts, what  thoughts run through your  mind?

Ground squirrels 18 March (3).jpg

Beautiful and oh so sweet.  What runs through my mind when creating layouts?  Usually if I'm adding elements I think, "does this/these element(s) make sense with what I'm trying to say with this layout".  Sometimes, I will add a surprise element in a corner or on a frame, somewhere in the layout.  For example I've put a very owl small on top of a frame, or a cat in the corner of a layout that isn't about cats...sort of like "Easter eggs" in films (definition below).  I try to make it look balanced and with fonts I try not to over "glyph" them.  It's still a struggle at times and a learning process for me.  Some I like and some I just don't like.  Of course there are elements that are non-descript and fit any layout, like flowers and buttons and fasteners etc.  Usually I have a photo(s) and the layout evolves from me thinking about it when I'm not where near the computer.  If I sit down and say I'm going to make a layout, I come down with "blank page" syndrome and other times I already have a theme or concept in mind.  Like the layout I did recently called IGNITE, it was in my head for some time, and that time (when I had to do photography for it and go to work and do regular life things) is where it really evolved when I'm doing non computer mundane things, more ideas pop into my head.  

Why are Easter eggs in films called Easter eggs?
It is believed the name derives from the idea of going on a traditional Easter egg hunt - the task of finding an object that has been concealed with the intention of it being found.
  • Love 4

Today a flock of around 30 Redpolls stopped off en route north for a feed.  The snow is slowly going.  It would appear I sparked some interest in the technique I used the other day and again in this  layout. I've given some tips, but should anyone need  more instruction, let me know. 

I created a word frame with a twist,  outlined text on the letters R and F, lifted the one comrer.

I forgot to mention that I created  the letterboard, in the previous layout,  matching the colour of the wood frame  with the  ground squirrels.

Redpoll Finches.jpg

This one is really pretty as are those Redpolls, mother nature really knows what she's doing when she creates.  I love that background too; do I see a background photo through the pink textured paper as well? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, bina greene said:

Over the hump: page four of my seven stocks project. On peanut butter. Any fans here? Supplies myself, fonts again Pacifico on title and Lato on body.

By now I think I need an extra double page spread before the initial page one on canned tuna and move the first part of the text on page one to that preceding page...( questions...) project.

spacer.png

Bina, your pages are very handsome. What are you using for your AI generator?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

This one is really pretty as are those Redpolls, mother nature really knows what she's doing when she creates.  I love that background too; do I see a background photo through the pink textured paper as well? 

You most certaily do!  It goes to show how observant you are. Taking the time to actually look at the page, as subtle as that detail is. It is a snow scene from out in the horses field. I achieved what I set out to do, it made you really look.  As I stated in   my previous comment ( ground squirrels).

• Like 2
  • Love 3

9 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Beautiful and oh so sweet.  What runs through my mind when creating layouts?  Usually if I'm adding elements I think, "does this/these element(s) make sense with what I'm trying to say with this layout".  Sometimes, I will add a surprise element in a corner or on a frame, somewhere in the layout.  For example I've put a very owl small on top of a frame, or a cat in the corner of a layout that isn't about cats...sort of like "Easter eggs" in films (definition below).  I try to make it look balanced and with fonts I try not to over "glyph" them.  It's still a struggle at times and a learning process for me.  Some I like and some I just don't like.  Of course there are elements that are non-descript and fit any layout, like flowers and buttons and fasteners etc.  Usually I have a photo(s) and the layout evolves from me thinking about it when I'm not where near the computer.  If I sit down and say I'm going to make a layout, I come down with "blank page" syndrome and other times I already have a theme or concept in mind.  Like the layout I did recently called IGNITE, it was in my head for some time, and that time (when I had to do photography for it and go to work and do regular life things) is where it really evolved when I'm doing non computer mundane things, more ideas pop into my head.  

Why are Easter eggs in films called Easter eggs?
It is believed the name derives from the idea of going on a traditional Easter egg hunt - the task of finding an object that has been concealed with the intention of it being found.

Adding elements can be tricky, as I feel they have to be in keeping with  the page, at the same time complimenting the page. As you say some elements are non descript.  I totally agree the page has to be balanced.  The photos  direct me, helping me to create  an even flow to the page.  The photo will envoke the memory of taking the shot, such as what  the  weather was like at the time.  I get the impression that you tend to overthink, I wonder if it's because you are still evolving your own unique style.  

• Like 4

Adding elements can be tricky, as I feel they have to be in keeping with  the page, at the same time complimenting the page. As you say some elements are non descript.  I totally agree the page has to be balanced.  The photos  direct me, helping me to create  an even flow to the page.  The photo will envoke the memory of taking the shot, such as what  the  weather was like at the time.  I get the impression that you tend to overthink, I wonder if it's because you are still evolving your own unique style.  

yes, that is it.  I think I am still experimenting with styles.  I definitely dont have a style as yet.  I often sit  back in my chair so I'm farther away from the screen and just look at it and see where my eye goes or if I feel it's not quite right.  I think I probably overthink.  I never thought it could be because I don't have a style; which if I did (have a style) it would be more instinctive to know where something needs to go.  Soon as Build A Kit workshop is over I am looking forward to getting back to the Notebook Labs again which means more layouts!

Edited by Susan Ewart
really bad grammar and sentences that didnt convey what I really meant
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

yes, that is it.  I think I am still experimenting with styles.  I definitely dont have a style as yet.  I often sit  back in my chair so I'm farther away from the screen and just look at it and see where my eye goes or if I feel it's not quite right.  I think I probably overthink.  I never thought it could be because I dont have a style which would be more instinctive and when I stepped back to view the layout I know where something needs to go.  Soon as Build A Kit workshop is over I am looking forward to getting back to the Notebook Labs again which means more layouts!

Susan, that you overthink was an issue with the scripting course as well and at the same time you instinctively know what to do. So try to find your own "style" and I know that such a thing is easier said then done, I struggle with it myself. But in the end we will get there with all the positive comments and help we are getting here in this lovely community.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Styles also evolve. 

My beginning layouts were a lot like what is being done in the Boot Camp course. Over the years I have changed but yet still mainly do what I call a "clean style". But the embellishments I add have changed over the years. Even now my style is evolving as I'm learning to put together clusters of flowers/greenery/ribbons/other elements on my own that are pleasing to my eye. They are usually small clusters and/or minimal embellishments. They don't overwhelm the photos and the story behind the photos. Once in awhile I will do a layout that has more clusters that are larger than normal when I feel the photo will work well with that kind of layout. 

It took me years to get to where I am today! My first layout was done on December 30, 2007 and has 3 photos (with rounded corners!) and a title. That's it. Nothing else.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Susan, that you overthink was an issue with the scripting course as well and at the same time you instinctively know what to do. So try to find your own "style" and I know that such a thing is easier said then done, I struggle with it myself. But in the end we will get there with all the positive comments and help we are getting here in this lovely community.

2 hours ago, Rene Marker said:

Styles also evolve. 

My beginning layouts were a lot like what is being done in the Boot Camp course. Over the years I have changed but yet still mainly do what I call a "clean style". But the embellishments I add have changed over the years. Even now my style is evolving as I'm learning to put together clusters of flowers/greenery/ribbons/other elements on my own that are pleasing to my eye. They are usually small clusters and/or minimal embellishments. They don't overwhelm the photos and the story behind the photos. Once in awhile I will do a layout that has more clusters that are larger than normal when I feel the photo will work well with that kind of layout. 

It took me years to get to where I am today! My first layout was done on December 30, 2007 and has 3 photos (with rounded corners!) and a title. That's it. Nothing else.

Thank you Sue, Corrie and Rene.  I am finding my tastes/styles in photography is changing too.  What most has changed is my passion.  Often now, putting creativity first and the fact that I did find a passion in the digital world which lead me back to the my first passion (photography).  Now I understand my "real" artist friends (one's that are making their living from it) when they'd pull an all-nighter because they were in the zone.  I get that now...although I'm too old to pull all-nighters...but I've been doing some late-late-lighters, especially when I have an idea and I have to get it out of my head (so that I can go to sleep).  

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 3/20/2024 at 8:38 AM, Ann Seeber said:

Bina, your pages are very handsome. What are you using for your AI generator?

@Ann Seeber: Thanks! I'm using grok mostly and sometimes firefly.

Edited by bina greene

A combination of another photo from the Heemtuin with the split frame technique that Carole demonstrated in the Q&A from las Sunday. This is my first try of it and although it isn't perfect yet I wanted to show what I'm doing. I will practice a bit more, it is a bit different from the masks I normally do, at least I had fun making this.

Split Frame-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 9

33 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

A combination of another photo from the Heemtuin with the split frame technique that Carole demonstrated in the Q&A from las Sunday. This is my first try of it and although it isn't perfect yet I wanted to show what I'm doing. I will practice a bit more, it is a bit different from the masks I normally do, at least I had fun making this.

Split Frame-600.jpg

Stunning page!  I was taking photos of Primroses in Cornwall in January.  I like that you added a shadow to the frame, something I don't normally  do for  this particular effect, but I do like it.  It gives it  a nice little  bit of depth. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Split Frame-600.jpg

Gorgeous, Corrie! I must go look at the video for the Q & A as I forget all the steps and this effect is really stunning! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I made several iterations of this silly theme. I liked the idea of the bright rainbow hairstyles and wanted to keep the rest of the l/o simple. I tried adding a rainbow border to each of them and adding shadows, but I wasn't happy with that. I finally decided to do a frame over all of them and used a cutout effect under each "hole." The biggest issue I had (I really annoy myself sometimes) was picking the gradient for the frame. I lost count of how many different gradients and blend modes I tried. I left them overnight and when I opened them today, I was instantly attracted to this one. Sometimes putting the project away and looking at it later helps if you have the time. The font is Will&Grace free from DaFont. 

Speaking of having a personal style, I think the purpose of the page plays a big part in it. What I did here is very different than say a birthday card I would make.

large.FABDLHairHoorah!600.jpg.52e38424cd6189cff5caa02e195a7019.jpg

• Like 2
  • WOW 1
  • Love 8

3 hours ago, Michele said:

I made several iterations of this silly theme. I liked the idea of the bright rainbow hairstyles and wanted to keep the rest of the l/o simple. I tried adding a rainbow border to each of them and adding shadows, but I wasn't happy with that. I finally decided to do a frame over all of them and used a cutout effect under each "hole." The biggest issue I had (I really annoy myself sometimes) was picking the gradient for the frame. I lost count of how many different gradients and blend modes I tried. I left them overnight and when I opened them today, I was instantly attracted to this one. Sometimes putting the project away and looking at it later helps if you have the time. The font is Will&Grace free from DaFont. 

Speaking of having a personal style, I think the purpose of the page plays a big part in it. What I did here is very different than say a birthday card I would make.

Outrageously bold!  I love it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Split Frame-600.jpg

Beautiful, Corrie!

• Thanks 1

Hi,

I'm currently working privately on a lot of digital birthday cards and congratulations on the birth in mobile phone format. Many family members and friends have birthdays in the first half of the year😄🌷large.DS-Mrz-Geburtstage_0324.jpg.8088397bdaa46351cc2c6ab5c9a5944d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 6

8 hours ago, Michele said:

I like this very much, so colorful and at the same time not too much!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1