What are you working on (in February 2024)?

Cassel

Lab 12 Mod 2. Requirements: Flash cards; I made several and decided that this would be about the Carmen Sandiego game I used to play on my Windows 98 computer many moons ago. The gal in the photo is her older sister who likes to play games and she is Carmen Sandiego in that mystery game played by grownups in Memphis, TN.  My granddaughter and I used to try to discover where Carmen was by following the clues.  Was it Paris?, India?, London? Or maybe in the USA in San Francisco? Another requirement was photo clips – I did make 4 so that you can use them in any orientation for holding down photos or whatever – here are 2. And the last requirement was a distressed frame – I did follow directions for this one and it covers the 2 game cards. The red circle I made some time ago when I was just playing around. The place stamps are from Nice Png. I made the question mark and employed the Cass-CustomDirectionalTube script. In one of the recent tutorials, the “layer Styles” tool was discussed.  I employed it on the text and how I like it.  I believe I like that bevel a whole lot! And of course the Emboss is really great too – And I used the Outer Glow on the bottom text and the “Where”!  What fun this was! The background paper is a bulls eye paper I made last year or the year before when we were discussing making bullseye papers and I changed the colors on it with one of the tools but I can’t remember what it was now. The font is Carmina Blk BT (Can you guess why I chose that one?) The blue paper is texturized with a texture I got from Pixel Scrapper – Marissa Lerin. Of course I used the Clip-To-It script from Cassel – it is on my top list of tools – for the photograph. I did use the template that was given with the lab module, but it was customized by me!

Lab 12 Mod 2_600.jpg

Edited by Mary Solaas
  • Like 1
  • Love 7

I managed to salvage some of the day (now late night) to try the PencilSketch2 script.  Since I tried a few things I'll have to post a few times.  here's the two photo's.  It's the same photo, and I originally edited it darker, then went back after the first run of the script because it was too dark. Also here is photo 2.  the next post will show how the script ran on it's own with these two images.  Photo 1 is the dark one, Photo 2 is the lighter one.  these are just the edits before the script.

01 Photo1-light-600.jpg

02 Photo2-light-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Here is made a mask from the layer (which I've never done before) with the darker (photo1-script1) one as the mask and use white to reveal the edges that was lost on and black to conceal the darker parts.  On the second one I had the lighter (photo2/script2) on top.  I'm getting confused at what I did now.  when I look at the mask group, there is white on the group top layer the actual mask has black on it.  It's all a learning experience.  I did try and manipulate the layers the script makes but it seemed to lose detail and the composite way and mask way, gave me better results.  I must try and understand the how the "Mask" from image works because it's pretty cool.

All in all, this is really nice script.  I did not change the background because I wanted to keep everything the same to compare.  There is so much potential in this script and for further tweaking.  I'm going to play with it some more.   

09 Layer Mask T1-to lighten dark areas-600.jpg

08 Layer Mask T2-todefine edges-600.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Love 8

On 2/8/2024 at 1:27 AM, Bonnie Ballentine said:

large.2023109ReniassanceFestivalMFish_LFLT2-24600.jpg.16cf67f04ddc9412b8459948d6225703.jpg

Template by MsFish and is a part of February's A Love For Layout Templates Blog Train. Blue paper and elements from Digital Scrapbooking, Reniassance Faire bundle.

On 2/8/2024 at 1:27 AM, Bonnie Ballentine said:

large.2023109ReniassanceFestivalMFish_LFLT2-24600.jpg.16cf67f04ddc9412b8459948d6225703.jpg

Template by MsFish and is a part of February's A Love For Layout Templates Blog Train. Blue paper and elements from Digital Scrapbooking, Reniassance Faire bundle.

Wow Bonnie, your great scrap is lavishly decorated with matching elements 😉 For us it would be a medieval festival. For more than 500 years, the Peter and Paul Festival has been celebrated annually near us, in Bretten.

7 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Here is made a mask from the layer (which I've never done before) with the darker (photo1-script1) one as the mask and use white to reveal the edges that was lost on and black to conceal the darker parts.  On the second one I had the lighter (photo2/script2) on top.  I'm getting confused at what I did now.  when I look at the mask group, there is white on the group top layer the actual mask has black on it.  It's all a learning experience.  I did try and manipulate the layers the script makes but it seemed to lose detail and the composite way and mask way, gave me better results.  I must try and understand the how the "Mask" from image works because it's pretty cool.

All in all, this is really nice script.  I did not change the background because I wanted to keep everything the same to compare.  There is so much potential in this script and for further tweaking.  I'm going to play with it some more.   

Susan,the pencil script makes your teapot look even more interesting to me than the original photo of the silver teapot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doska St. said:

Susan,the pencil script makes your teapot look even more interesting to me than the original photo of the silver teapot.

It does, doesnt it.  I have been thinking of other possible photo projects aimed at using the PencilSketch2 script as an end result.  There is much to be discovered in this script.

3 hours ago, Doska St. said:

Wow Bonnie, your great scrap is lavishly decorated with matching elements 😉 For us it would be a medieval festival. For more than 500 years, the Peter and Paul Festival has been celebrated annually near us, in Bretten.

Thank you, Doska. I thought about you when I added so many elements. You know I seldom use any.

• Love 1

13 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Susan. I like what you did with the script, the results differ but together it works great. I will have to play some more with it, if and when I have a bit of free time. At the moment all different kinds of things are going on that need my attention too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Susan. I like what you did with the script, the results differ but together it works great. I will have to play some more with it, if and when I have a bit of free time. At the moment all different kinds of things are going on that need my attention too.

I am going to play more too.  Thinking of what type of photo works best and doing two different edits maybe.  Also, I would like to further learn about masking from a layer.  I would actually like to have a full black layer then bring back what I want (with white).  Using the Mask from image made a strange looking mask that wasn't either white or black, so I need to play with that some more too.  it's hard to see the little thumnail of it.  Either way, I did something with masks that I've never done and was really  happy that I might be on the cusp of learning something new.  It's kind of what PS does in the tutorials I watch (usually I'm watching a photo tutorial and then they do an edit of the photo afterwards ; lightroom then in PS to use layers and masks). I know there is a way to do it in PaintShopPro, just need to learn. More than that, I really need a good understanding of it.  It's easy to say; black conceals and white reveals, but to really understand it is what I'm after.  Teachers always make it look so easy don't they.  

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I am going to play more too.  Thinking of what type of photo works best and doing two different edits maybe.  Also, I would like to further learn about masking from a layer.  I would actually like to have a full black layer then bring back what I want (with white).  Using the Mask from image made a strange looking mask that wasn't either white or black, so I need to play with that some more too.  it's hard to see the little thumnail of it.  Either way, I did something with masks that I've never done and was really  happy that I might be on the cusp of learning something new.  It's kind of what PS does in the tutorials I watch (usually I'm watching a photo tutorial and then they do an edit of the photo afterwards ; lightroom then in PS to use layers and masks). I know there is a way to do it in PaintShopPro, just need to learn. More than that, I really need a good understanding of it.  It's easy to say; black conceals and white reveals, but to really understand it is what I'm after.  Teachers always make it look so easy don't they.  

Have you watched the Master Class on Masks? It touches a little bit on what you did and want to do.

1 hour ago, Rene Marker said:

Have you watched the Master Class on Masks? It touches a little bit on what you did and want to do.

I have but I have forgotten it.  Thank you for reminding me, that is a good idea.  I'm glad there is other more supple minds in the Campus to aid my stiff one.

• Haha 1

I think I am done with Labs for a while.  Wasn't happy with this one as I am not sure what I will ever do with a paper bow and a metal plate.  Couldn't figure out how to use it for this layout and I am not happy with it anyway.  Think I will try to get my mojo going again in the Build-A-Kit that is coming.  

@Susan Ewart Really impressed with what you are doing with that new script and your photography.  Way to go girl!

Lab 12 Mod 3_600.jpg

MLS Metal Plate.jpg

Edited by Mary Solaas
  • Like 4
  • Love 3

8 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

I think I am done with Labs for a while.  Wasn't happy with this one as I am not sure what I will ever do with a paper bow and a metal plate.  Couldn't figure out how to use it for this layout and I am not happy with it anyway.  Think I will try to get my mojo going again in the Build-A-Kit that is coming.  

@Susan Ewart Really impressed with what you are doing with that new script and your photography.  Way to go girl!

Lab 12 Mod 3_600.jpg

MLS Metal Plate.jpg

Thank you ever so much Mary.  You have done such amazing work with the Labs.  Undertaking a long project is daunting to say the least, and no doubt your energy for it ebbs and flows.  I love that metal plate you did and can see lots of cool applications for it.  Maybe placing a colored layer above it and using a blend mode would add some cool interest, or try using a grungy layer above it, although you want to keep that nice brushed metal texture you have now.  And you could have a debossed letter or symbols in the middle.  One day you will know exactly what to do with it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Susan Ewart Dear friend! Thank you for the kind words. I really had no idea how to use it.  It is supposed to have a hanger attached to it so that it could be used to hold a banner in place????  I like your suggestions - if I am going to change the element I made, I duplicate it (Shift+D) and do whatever with it.  Those are some interesting suggestions.  I may try some out while I'm waiting for my mojo to return.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

Lab 12 Mod 3_600.jpg

MLS Metal Plate.jpg

Mary you did fantastic with all those labs you did and I greatly admire your persistence!!! I'm not able to do that on my own for such a long time and this last one is very nice. You never know what you can use later on and I like the suggestions from Susan, so it won't be a waste of time. Besides all the labs you have made a lot of other time consuming projects! Take a rest, do something else and your mojo will be back for the Build a Kit Workshop which is a very different thing from making layouts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 2/9/2024 at 6:25 PM, Bonnie Ballentine said:

Thank you, Doska. I thought about you when I added so many elements. You know I seldom use any.

Yes, that's exactly why 😄 But it looks good😍. There don't have to be many.

• Like 3

The top one is a redo of the original from 2017. In case you guys don't remember, the game has been reusing themes for over a year now. Since FB pic size has changed, I've been trying to adjust to that format while using some skills I've learned in the past seven years (within the confines of the time I have every day). I'm sure you can all recognize Cassel's corner punches; I think I have them all. The font for this year's is Abongia from Creative Fabrica and the older one is Reybro from Fontbundles. The magnolias and the girl are from so long ago, I don't remember where I got them.

large.FABDLFirstBlush!600.jpg.117a8122d562f11c6ce0f157ea3c2185.jpg

large.FABDLFirstBlush(2018_08_0216_43_59UTC)600.jpg.62c52072cbd2834934e9b559e35310d1.jpg

• Love 8

1 hour ago, Michele said:

The top one is a redo of the original from 2017. In case you guys don't remember, the game has been reusing themes for over a year now. Since FB pic size has changed, I've been trying to adjust to that format while using some skills I've learned in the past seven years (within the confines of the time I have every day). I'm sure you can all recognize Cassel's corner punches; I think I have them all. The font for this year's is Abongia from Creative Fabrica and the older one is Reybro from Fontbundles. The magnolias and the girl are from so long ago, I don't remember where I got them.

large.FABDLFirstBlush!600.jpg.117a8122d562f11c6ce0f157ea3c2185.jpg

large.FABDLFirstBlush(2018_08_0216_43_59UTC)600.jpg.62c52072cbd2834934e9b559e35310d1.jpg

Like you Michele,  I to have evolved over the many years under the tuition and guidance of Cassel.   When I look back at some of my very early work, I realize how basic, simple and amateurish  my work was. Both are lovely, but the latest one is even more lovely.  I love the blured frame, which blends the image into the background paper prefectly.  As for the corner  punches, they resonate  pure elegance.  As I am a huge fan of all the Punches.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2