What are you working on (in January 2024)?

Cassel

11 minutes ago, Michele said:

I would love to have my family tree done, but the records for Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe are close to impossible for me to find. I can only go back as far as my grandparents who came to the U.S. as children at the turn of the last century. Too bad I'm not a celebrity or Dr. Henry Louis Gates Jr. could do the work for me on Finding My Roots! 🙂 One of these days, I'll invest some time and money to see if I can trace my roots.

I am very lucky that my ancestry is mostly French and French catholic churches were very detailed for records. Most church records that have not been destroyed in fires for example, have been microfilmed or compiled. I have one branch that goes back 15 generations, and around the time Champlain came to North America, around 1608. And then, some books have also ancestry further in Europe.

• Like 2
  • WOW 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Cassel said:

I am very lucky that my ancestry is mostly French and French catholic churches were very detailed for records. Most church records that have not been destroyed in fires for example, have been microfilmed or compiled. I have one branch that goes back 15 generations, and around the time Champlain came to North America, around 1608. And then, some books have also ancestry further in Europe.

My father had a "family Bible" with entries of our Dutch Terwilliger ancestors going back to the early 1600's also. They arrived in the New World by sailing up the Hudson River and disembarking in Kingston, Ulster County, New York. Across the river is New Paltz, where we found a set of paintings of the ship, the Gilded Otter, in an antiques shop, split on two wooden boards. My daughter Laurey has been pursuing our genealogy via Ancestry.com. I tried reuniting the two sides of the ship, though not super successful in my eyes, a few years ago, using PSP.

The Gilded Otter-Watercolor-Huguenot Street Museum Shop-New Paltz NY-1 and 2 joined.jpg

• Like 3
  • WOW 1
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Rene before my first husband and I could get married in 1960, he had to be baptized into my Lutheran Church as he had been raised Bible Baptist and they didn't do infant baptism. It had to wait until you were of age to make the commitment. He was 23 that year and I was only 19.

My dad was not raised attending church. His mother was Catholic, his father never went to church and wouldn't allow the kids to attend the Catholic church. So all of the 13 kids that got married usually joined the religion/church their spouse attended. For dad, it was Methodist. For several others, it was the Catholic church. Grandma never forgot her upbringing and when she attended weddings of grandchildren that were in a Catholic church, she kneeled when it was appropriate to do so. The family is split pretty even between Catholic and Protestant. I told an uncle about what I found and he said that in the last couple of years when he converted to Catholicism from Church of Christ he had to know his baptismal date. So he checked with the church he attended the whole time he was married previously. He was also in his 20's.

Mom and Dad had gotten married in Mom's church about 4 months before he joined.

• Like 6

My husband has done a lot of research into his and mine family history, for almost 20 years he had his own website. But now it is almost impossible to find new data. In WWII a lot is destroyed and over the years a lot of books that in the old days were kept in the churches went missing as well. He got as far back as possible ( somewhere in 1600) and a branch of both our families came from Germany and France.

• Like 3
  • WOW 1
  • Love 2

This is what I'm currently working on: Carole's Pencil Sketch2 script. Having a lot of fun! I did the four cats and then combined them with papers and embellishments from the ID-Circle of Life Kit. I have a total of 5 images; one for each cat and then the composite layout. All the backgrounds are from the kit. I also included a folded edge on the lower left sketch of Mommy in the composite.

EDIT: Didn't care for the layout so I revised it a bit.

SKETCH 04-ADAM_600.jpg

SKETCH 03-EVE_600.jpg

SKETCH 02-MOMMY_600.jpg

SKETCH 01-BAE_600.jpg

MULTIPLE SKETCH-CATS-01_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
Didn't care for the layout so I revised it a bit.
  • Like 2
  • WOW 1
  • Love 8

Almost  the end of January.  This is Lab 11 Mod 11.  Requirements: cross pattern - the background paper; cutout edge - I made a strip which I am not showing in this layout, but I made the shape as a paint brush and used the Vector Shape script around a round colored paper in white; paper clip 3 - one of those thick ones that is hard to open - I used the Change to Target tool to make it a copper color. The font is Arial Black.

I see that we are going to have the Built-A-Kit Workshop again.  YAY!!

Lab 11 Mod 11_600.jpg

• Love 7

2 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

Almost  the end of January.  This is Lab 11 Mod 11.  Requirements: cross pattern - the background paper; cutout edge - I made a strip which I am not showing in this layout, but I made the shape as a paint brush and used the Vector Shape script around a round colored paper in white; paper clip 3 - one of those thick ones that is hard to open - I used the Change to Target tool to make it a copper color. The font is Arial Black.

Lab 11 Mod 11_600.jpg

Beautifully done Mary, you are an inspiration with the Labs.  That clip looks real!  I think I know them as "bulldog" clips and you are right, the bigger ones are hard to open. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

This is what I'm currently working on: Carole's Pencil Sketch2 script. Having a lot of fun! I did the four cats and then combined them with papers and embellishments from the ID-Circle of Life Kit. I have a total of 5 images; one for each cat and then the composite layout. All the backgrounds are from the kit. I also included a folded edge on the lower left sketch of Mommy in the composite.

SKETCH 04-ADAM_600.jpg

SKETCH 03-EVE_600.jpg

SKETCH 02-MOMMY_600.jpg

SKETCH 01-BAE_600.jpg

MULTIPLE SKETCH-CATS-01_600.jpg

Wow Ann! the one with the yellow in it is so awesome.  I bought the script but am trying to catch up on the P52 before I play with it.  wonder what the t-cups would look like or the t-pots.  hmmm, you've given me some good ideas...thank you.  

My pickleball trip was sooo much fun! Everyone was so kind and helpful with Judy. She told me she wasn't going the night before we were to leave. I had to call her best friend to talk her in to going. She said she would go but she wasn't playing pickleball. I said, "OK", but the first time we went to the courts, she jumped right in to play and played everyday. Everyone loved her instantly. She was cheerfully greeted everywhere and received numerous hugs. Her partner for the clinic was great and they won the silver medal at the end of the clinic. We went with a group of 10 and played games every afternoon and evening...so much fun! There was another group from Massachusetts and the loved joining us for games. We made wonderful friends!

This layout is of one of our group who had a "Truth or Dare" . She chose "Dare" and was asked to smile as big and wide as she could and hold it for 2 minutes. We now know 2 minutes is too long and tortuous. Her cheeks were sore the next day. 

large.2024122DeesDare2Template194delady22600.jpg.b9ed2020d83ed8c85504c0524d8b36ca.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Love 8

On 1/28/2024 at 4:49 AM, Michele said:

I would love to have my family tree done, but the records for Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe are close to impossible for me to find. I can only go back as far as my grandparents who came to the U.S. as children at the turn of the last century. Too bad I'm not a celebrity or Dr. Henry Louis Gates Jr. could do the work for me on Finding My Roots! 🙂 One of these days, I'll invest some time and money to see if I can trace my roots.

I thought I responded to your comment a couple of days ago, but it vanished! Trying again...

My family tree is very lopsided. My mother's side is fairly comprehensive, but my dad's is empty, more or less. He was born in a region of Eastern Europe that changed borders and governments several times. Also there were wars and devastation that likely destroyed records. I can't go beyond his mother, and she was so secretive about all that. I have hired researchers in that part of the world, but they were not able to come up with anything valuable.

I would love to set Gates's research team on this mystery, but I don't think even they would find much. Just the way it is, and I've accepted it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 1/28/2024 at 5:04 AM, Cassel said:

Fifteen generations! Yikes. I can't go beyond my dad's mother. There are no records to be found in that part of Eastern Europe.

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

My pickleball trip was sooo much fun! Everyone was so kind and helpful with Judy. She told me she wasn't going the night before we were to leave. I had to call her best friend to talk her in to going. She said she would go but she wasn't playing pickleball. I said, "OK", but the first time we went to the courts, she jumped right in to play and played everyday. Everyone loved her instantly. She was cheerfully greeted everywhere and received numerous hugs. Her partner for the clinic was great and they won the silver medal at the end of the clinic. We went with a group of 10 and played games every afternoon and evening...so much fun! There was another group from Massachusetts and the loved joining us for games. We made wonderful friends!

This layout is of one of our group who had a "Truth or Dare" . She chose "Dare" and was asked to smile as big and wide as she could and hold it for 2 minutes. We now know 2 minutes is too long and tortuous. Her cheeks were sore the next day. 

large.2024122DeesDare2Template194delady22600.jpg.b9ed2020d83ed8c85504c0524d8b36ca.jpg

Bonnie I'm so happy for you that your trip turned out great due to the fact that Judy loved it too. A memory to cherish!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

Fifteen generations! Yikes. I can't go beyond my dad's mother. There are no records to be found in that part of Eastern Europe.

Yes, I am lucky in that area. Also, my great-grandmother was born in the US, and I would not have known other than from one sheet of paper that was written by a great-uncle or something like that. On a single sheet of paper, he had scribbled 5 generations of information and there was one mention of the date of marriage for her parents and the mention "Concord, USA". Well, there are several cities called Concord in the US! I was doubly lucky that one town was fairly close to the Canadian border AND someone had compiled the registry for that parish AND there was a copy at the genealogical library in Montreal. The information was very limited: the name of the groom, the bride and the date. Nothing else. And the spelling was wrong too. Since they didn't list their parents, I had to rely on that one sheet of paper, which had that information (written quite small, you can imagine). But since their parents were from Quebec, the rest was easy. In those years, some families were moving to the US for work.

• Like 4
  • WOW 2

On 1/29/2024 at 12:36 AM, Mary Solaas said:

Lab 11 Mod 11_600.jpg

I'll try it again, as my first post disappeared.

Mary, I love how you use the Cross Pattern in the layout... Sometimes, I find it difficult to use  "busy" papers, but in this case, it's subtle but still very recognizable.

For the Build A Kit Workshop- Pattern Papers,  I intend to create more papers like this following Carole's tutorials... You gave me a great idea.

Edited by Cristina
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Last module for Lab 11.  

Lab 11 Mod 12. Requirements: Knit pattern and strip (the snowman knit strip at the bottom); glitter tree (I made a silver one, a gold one and a green one – also made a glitter star which I put on the top of each tree but they are separate); party hat – I put a gold tassel on the hat also.  The plaid paper background I had made probably 2 years ago and the holly wreath on the light green circle paper I had made probably 1 year ago.  I always have fun! The font for the title is CandyLandSwirls 1 from CF.

I think it is fussier than I usually do, but it is what it is.

Lab 11 Mod 12_600.jpg

• Love 7

@Cassel Why can't I download the mp4 Lab Modules?  I could before, but the last couple of days I can't.  I went up to the Lab and looked at the mp4 for the Paper Clip 3, and the scallops in Lab 12 Mod 1 as the handouts were not as clear as I would like.  

38 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

Why can't I download the mp4 Lab Modules?  I could before, but the last couple of days I can't.  I went up to the Lab and looked at the mp4 for the Paper Clip 3, and the scallops in Lab 12 Mod 1 as the handouts were not as clear as I would like.  

The Lab videos are not set up to be downloadable. I don't know how you managed to do that. Only the Master Classes are set for downloads.

21 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

Last module for Lab 11.  

Lab 11 Mod 12. Requirements: Knit pattern and strip (the snowman knit strip at the bottom); glitter tree (I made a silver one, a gold one and a green one – also made a glitter star which I put on the top of each tree but they are separate); party hat – I put a gold tassel on the hat also.  The plaid paper background I had made probably 2 years ago and the holly wreath on the light green circle paper I had made probably 1 year ago.  I always have fun! The font for the title is CandyLandSwirls 1 from CF.

I think it is fussier than I usually do, but it is what it is.

Lab 11 Mod 12_600.jpg

Mary if there is a time when you can go a little bit more "fussier" , it is Christmas! This is very nice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Cassel unpinned this topic