What are you working on (in November 2023)?

Cassel

2 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

I also made the 3 transparent frames into a mask and this is the result.  I'm just having too much fun.  I really need to get back on the Alphabet Soup album as I only have 3 layouts to go before I get it ready to print.

MLS Attempt at Mask and 3 transparent frames various density-2.jpg

These are very cool Mary.  Inspiring.  I have so many ideas in my head of what I want to do.  Now to find the time to do it and the many other things I want to do outside PSP.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

You are singing the song of my people.  Even with specific things to do on specific days it all blurs together.  Especially if I do something not normal on a certain day, like working on a Thursday (my day off)...I tend to think the next day is Saturday and almost forget to go to work (because it's actually Friday).    

Makes me feel warm & fuzzy that others have this going on too! I will swear it's a Wednesday, for example, and then realize it's Tuesday. Better to call 'em brain f@rts than senior moments.

• Haha 4

Mary, those are beautiful! I might try to make those, but I don't understand why you need a mask -  can you just plop them right on top? - but then again, I never did see the need for a mask.

Ooops!  I'm finding it difficult to get the days of the week because I don't watch TV much any more -- you know, when Thursdays were Seinfeld & Friends? Plus my husband and I are retired, and all the days get mushed up.

Do NOT subscribe to Katie Pertiet's newsletter!  She has a sale on Tuesday, "Template Tuesday", and the emails for it come out on MONDAY morning, subject line "Template Tuesday!"  Then she has "Thrifty Thursday", and you guessed it, the email comes out on Wednesday morning with a subject line of "Thrifty Thursday"!!

I'm lucky I can get the year right!

Edited by Suzy
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Mary Solaas said:

This one is a mask saved with the frames in various opacity of white.

MLS Attempt at 3 transparent frames various density-3_1000.jpg

Now I think I know what you are trying to achieve.  For this effect may I suggest you use the adjustment layers. I think you will achieve a much better result, not that I'm saying what you have done isn't lovely, it is.  Although you have created 3 distinct frames, you still do that using the adjustment layers.  In my example, which I did back in 2018,  I have done many different ones since, including oval  ones,  within a rectangle image,  which has distinct  frames, like yours.  Using the selection tool, and the adjustment layer brightness and contrast.  Of course you can  still lower the opacity whilst the  frame is still selected  with the selection tool, within the adjustment layer.  The adjustment layers are like masks, you can go back at a later time to change it, when saved as a PSP.  There are masterclasses on  using the adjustment layers.  'Adjust what' is one.  I hope this helps you.

28 Sept  (90)a.jpg

Flower adjstment layers.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Love 8

Those are really neat, Sue!

I don’t actually get how you make them, but I’ll look into the adjust class you mentioned. What I’m wondering is if you could save the adjustment layers on their own, by themselves, and slip a totally different photo in there?  In lieu of a script, having a reusable file would be really swell!  Or maybe you could just color the whole photo layer, say red, and save it all as a .psp file? You’d have to use the exact same photo size, though, I bet. Hmmmm.

2 hours ago, Suzy said:

Mary, those are beautiful! I might try to make those, but I don't understand why you need a mask -  can you just plop them right on top? - but then again, I never did see the need for a mask.

Ooops!  I'm finding it difficult to get the days of the week because I don't watch TV much any more -- you know, when Thursdays were Seinfeld & Friends? Plus my husband and I are retired, and all the days get mushed up.

Do NOT subscribe to Katie Pertiet's newsletter!  She has a sale on Tuesday, "Template Tuesday", and the emails for it come out on MONDAY morning, subject line "Template Tuesday!"  Then she has "Thrifty Thursday", and you guessed it, the email comes out on Wednesday morning with a subject line of "Thrifty Thursday"!!

I'm lucky I can get the year right!

On the Home Depot flyer the title was, "Black Friday....Starts Thursday"  Love humour in advertising.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Suzy said:

I don’t actually get how you make them, but I’ll look into the adjust class you mentioned. What I’m wondering is if you could save the adjustment layers on their own, by themselves, and slip a totally different photo in there?  In lieu of a script, having a reusable file would be really swell!  Or maybe you could just color the whole photo layer, say red, and save it all as a .psp file? You’d have to use the exact same photo size, though, I bet. Hmmmm.

Perhaps a script could be written?

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Suzy said:

I can look but an adjustment layer is just a greyscale layer that acts like a mask. So, a script similar to the Raster to mask might be possible. Something like Raster to Adjustment?? Worth looking into that.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Suzy said:

Providing you save the file with as a PSP, the adjustment layers will reman in tact, and you can slip another photo, of the same size, although you could size up or down, depending on the image, above the original photo. There will be several layers, but you can hide what you don't want to reuse.  So yes, you can.  They work like masks, you will be able to  adjust those layers to suit the new image.  

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Perhaps a script could be written?

You lazy, so and so!!!!!! lol, only joking. Carole spoils  us with all her wonderful scripts.  🙂  You know, once you have created one adjustment layer,  you'll be able to do more, with ease.  It really isn't a complicated process, slow or tedious.  Yet the effect, like masks  will produce  a delightful  page. Which will allow you to be creative, like  I did some out of bounds  and more in the leaf  layout. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

You lazy, so and so!!!!!! lol, only joking. Carole spoils  us with all her wonderful scripts.  🙂  You know, once you have created one adjustment layer,  you'll be able to do more, with ease.  It really isn't a complicated process, slow or tedious.  Yet the effect, like masks  will produce  a delightful  page. Which will allow you to be creative, like  I did some out of bounds  and more in the leaf  layout. 

I know, right?  🤣  We are spoiled for sure.  I am going to give this technique a try, I really like the look.  If I ever get Christmas put out that is.  My living room is so full of boxes I can barely move.  Once it's out and the cards are addressed and out the door I will be FREE and can play.   PS Thanks for the good laugh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

This one is a mask saved with the frames in various opacity of white.

MLS Attempt at 3 transparent frames various density-3_1000.jpg

This is especially interesting because it looks telescopic….i think because of the lightest frame in the smaller center and the graduated widths and graduated spaces? Something surely to play around with.

Edited by Suzy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mary Solaas said:

@Sue Thomas Thanks; I see what you mean by the Adjustment Layers - adjusting the brightness and contrast creates a transparent frame around the photo.  Am I right?  I haven't looked at that Master Class yet, but looking at your pictures demonstrating the Adjustment Layer technique, that is what I am seeing.

Where as you created actual frames around your image, and then lowered the opacity of those frames, the image stayed the same.   The brightness and contrast adjustment layer alters the actual image, whilst still retaining the sharpness, colours, and quality, although they might be made brighter or  less bright. It doesn't alter the opacity.  There are a lot of adjustment layers to  play with, depending on the  look you want to achieve. While you still have the selection tool active, you can add textures, even an inner bevel.  Personally I rarely do  that.  I'm only making you aware of some of the possibilities.

Screenshot 2023-12-03 102338.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I know you weren't addressing me, but yes, I made 3 transparent frames around an image, each 30 px wide on its own layer...is there a way to make those frames I made into an adjustment layer(s). An easy way I mean LOL!

Triple Translucent.jpg

Edited by Suzy

31 minutes ago, Suzy said:

I know you weren't addressing me, but yes, I made 3 transparent frames around an image, each 30 px wide on its own layer...is there a way to make those frames I made into an adjustment layer(s). An easy way I mean LOL!

Triple Translucent.jpg

You emphasise 'easy way'. 🙂  Most things become easy  or easier with a little know how and practice.  I firmly believe, that once you have created an adjustment layer, there'll  be no stopping you. It only takes about 5 steps. If I  was you, I would use the adjustment layer  the conventional way,  contracting  by the number of pixels  of your frames. Then save as a PSP.  To be reused over and over.   I have never created an adjustment layer template.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Suzy said:

Triple Translucent.jpg

Easy way means "SCRIPT" right? hahahahaha, I couldn't resist.  Adjustment Layers are not hard to make...you got this.  I do use them for editing  photos ...until I learn my new Raw editor program, which is Waaaaaay down the to-do list.  I am really interesting in using them for frames, I would never have thought to do that.  Thank you Sue, for forging where no forger has gone before (in my world anyway).  Geez, I think I just made you sound like a painting forger, YIKES!  

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Easy way means "SCRIPT" right? hahahahaha, I couldn't resist.  Adjustment Layers are not hard to make...you got this.  I do use them for editing  photos ...until I learn my new Raw editor program, which is Waaaaaay down the to-do list.  I am really interesting in using them for frames, I would never have thought to do that.  Thank you Sue, for forging where no forger has gone before (in my world anyway).  Geez, I think I just made you sound like a painting forger, YIKES!  

I'll take it as a compliment, and it's my pleasure to widen the realm of creative possibilities within PSP. I can see, we are going to have to start another holic group.  Only this time for scripts.  For  scriptaholics.   I hold Carole totally responsible for this  addiction.  As how can anyone resist the temptation of her wonderful time saving scripts.  hahahahaha.  

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

I'll take it as a compliment, and it's my pleasure to widen the realm of creative possibilities within PSP. I can see, we are going to have to start another holic group.  Only this time for scripts.  For  scriptaholics.   I hold Carole totally responsible for this  addiction.  As how can anyone resist the temptation of her wonderful time saving scripts.  hahahahaha.  

Wait until you are back and see what is happening to the script-a-holics, maybe we all have given up and retired from scripting! 

• Haha 4

On 12/2/2023 at 3:55 AM, Sue Thomas said:

I saw something similar online, which caught my eye.  I decided to create my own.  I'll make it more festive with colour, holly etc.  Wordart using only  fonts.

Image5.jpg

I mentioned it before, Sue... You are also the master of Word Art... Beautiful!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Thanks for a new frame example😍