Magazine Workshop 2023

Cassel

2 hours ago, Suzy said:

How hard can it be to put a few words and a big picture together?

How many people here have a camera which takes 12” minimum photos, both dimensions?

How many people here spend 1/2 hour to get a photo up-to-size by only 30% using AI?  And it’s not even finished! (This is on my new 2023).  I’m not sure what the 2022 would do. And the PSP X2 or X4 would only make it blurry.  

I use 3 different Canon cameras and all are set to take the same size photos. I use the 4:3 image size then have a choice of 5 different combinations of size (number of pixels) and compression (image quality). All 3 are set for the largest pixel size (which is about 5184x3888) and the highest image quality. These settings do take up more space on the memory cards but with the larger cards I still get a lot of photos. So I'm able to use any photo on a 12x12 layout with no problem. Sizing down for a layout is not an issue either!

I run into the problem you are having when I receive photos from other people that use a lower number of pixels in their settings so that they get more photos on the memory card.

• Like 4

My cover features the historic Limestone County Courthouse in Athens, Alabama. It was built in 1919 in a Neoclassical style with Palladian influences.

I have no idea what that means. They had me "historic."

Located in the heart of town, it is the anchor for Athens Square, a lively entertainment district hosting seasonal activities that attract hundreds of residents from Athens and surrounding areas.

GNL-MagazineA-00_600.jpg

• Love 14

I see there are already lots of wonderful  pages submitted. To many to comment on each one individually.

After being outside all day, I had time to think  what theme I was going to go with.  Autumn is in the air, with the trees changing their colours, it seems like  only the other day that I was welcoming Spring.  Hence, I have decided to go with a Spring magazine.  I'm afraid I have created my usual magazine cover.  If nothing else it may inspire and show what can be created using a single unedited photo and some text.  The bar code is one of many I have created. I will be featuring Raptors, bees, the badger and more in the  coming pages.  SK is an abbreviation for Saskatchewan.

Day 1 Cover .jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 2
  • Love 10

Here is my Magazine Lesson-1. The title is:  Cat's Meow. The photo shows our Cat Leo. I am doing this magazine cover also as a tribute to him as he is one of the Cat Angels at the Rainbow Bridge, and he will be forever in our hearts. The font is Cat Paw from Creative Fabrica. The next pages will showcase our other feline companions, and I will add Marcus somewhere also to keep them company.

Anita-Magazine-Cats Meow-Lesson-1-scaled.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 10

@Brian Smith Glad to see you were not intimidated by the square format. Those templates are easy to resize for rectangular pages.

@MoniqueN.With the simplistic format, it should be easier to work on three magazines at once!

@Corrie KinkelOh, looking forward to all those photos!

@Rene Marker Yes, you will have a chance to add and change things over the 7 days.

@Anne Lamp Adjusting the mask is one of the upcoming lessons, so you are already ahead! ?

@Suzy Sometimes, a broken word title works. Sometimes, not so much. But as Sue mentioned, try rotating the whole page and see.

@Sue Thomas I think even the ordinary smartphone can take large enough pictures for a full page! I hope your cover page will inspire others and show how varied our pages can be.

@Gerry Landreth We will visit your town!!

@Shirley You did that pen art???? That will certainly deserve a whole magazine! Looking forward to seeing more of those.

@Anita Wyatt That is definitely a fun font and very appropriate!

Keep posting. 

Day 1 

I rotated the template so the camera would look inward.  I couldnt bring myself to put the title sideways.  After all, my masterpiece will be in bookstores near you soon, and in the rack, after the first row you just see the top title of the magazine.  ?. I used a retro font for the word "camera" and in red, a power color in photography.  

Since it's my first time through this workshop I will wait to see where we go with this cover.  

There is magazine covers I see in the forum I wish i could buy in the store!  Great work everyone.

Magazine WS-Day 1-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 10

2 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 1 

I rotated the template so the camera would look inward.  I couldnt bring myself to put the title sideways.  After all, my masterpiece will be in bookstores near you soon, and in the rack, after the first row you just see the top title of the magazine.  ?. I used a retro font for the word "camera" and in red, a power color in photography.  

Since it's my first time through this workshop I will wait to see where we go with this cover.  

There is magazine covers I see in the forum I wish i could buy in the store!  Great work everyone.

Magazine WS-Day 1-600.jpg

Beautiful cover and camera, Susan. I'd buy that magazine in an instant!

• Love 1

Magazine work is new to me and I wasn't sure how far to go, but I see others have completed their pages so I have added the background and some more text.  I have tried to colour the borders, but the whole background  page fills in with colour, so I guess there is a trick to that.cass-MagazineA-00.pspimagecover.jpg600.jpg.0f6984a77a93c8c319467b103c40ecbd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 7

8 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

I finally hit on a topic that got me enganged so I did the cover. Debra Lennox is my daughter. The font is Agency and the background gradient is one from my files titled Tulips. *shrug* That bright yellow guy on the right under the mushroom is called a banana slug. ?

DEBRA LENNOX ART-MAG COVER_600.jpg

Beautiful art.  that's an exceptionally detailed linocut, especially the mushroom. I dont know what a reduction linocut is but the result is stunning.   

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

40 minutes ago, Shirley said:

Magazine work is new to me and I wasn't sure how far to go, but I see others have completed their pages so I have added the background and some more text.  I have tried to colour the borders, but the whole background  page fills in with colour, so I guess there is a trick to that.cass-MagazineA-00.pspimagecover.jpg600.jpg.0f6984a77a93c8c319467b103c40ecbd.jpg

I love looking at this.  Is that a watercolor background too.  It's so nice.  On the borders: did you lock the transparency? 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Yesterday I wasn't all too happy with what I did and this morning I had a bit of spare time (half an hour or so). I changed the font for a more readable one (Copperplate) and changed the color too and put the barcode and price on the page, after all it is suppoost to be a magazine. Now my cover is ready!

Magazine-Cover-600.jpg

What a cool building Corrie, I love looking into the refleciton (is that a reflection I see, or is it painted?).  Are we all supposed to finish the colors, or is that to come still in the workshop.

• Love 2

9 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I dont know what a reduction linocut is

I didn't either so I looked it up. (I searched using Bing this time.) My search yielded these facts: "Reduction linocut is a method of block printing in which each colour layer is carved into the same lino block. Part of the design is carved into the block and printed. The process is then repeated for each layer of colour. The design is often printed working from the lightest first to darkest colours last. Often referred to as a ‘sabotage’ print."

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

I didn't either so I looked it up. (I searched using Bing this time.) My search yielded these facts: "Reduction linocut is a method of block printing in which each colour layer is carved into the same lino block. Part of the design is carved into the block and printed. The process is then repeated for each layer of colour. The design is often printed working from the lightest first to darkest colours last. Often referred to as a ‘sabotage’ print."

Wow, that is intricate. So, the lino is carved, then printed, then carved and printed and so on. You really need to know what you are doing and where you are at in the process. My brain would implode trying to organize the steps in my head.  It's more involved than the very basic linocuts I did 30+ yrs ago.  I switched to eraser carving (not really erasers but large sheets of eraser like material) pretty quickly; the stuff carved like butter.  I was never as much an artist as your daughter is though.  I like the look of linocut art. 

• Like 2