Travel Tale Workshop 2023

Cassel

Lesson 1 Travel Tale::

When I went to Germany in 2011 on one if my annual visits to Mom, I was asked by my Red Hat friends and members to take our red hat along for the trip. My task was to to place the hat in various spots and take lots of pictures. So, I did and Mom,  the hat and I had lots of fun finding interesting places the hat would approve of. So, stay tuned for the Red Hat's Travel tales. I used Google Map for this. The drop shadows for the countries did not want to play nice, so I gave up on those.

Anita-Travel-Tale-US-Germany.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 7

29 minutes ago, Anita Wyatt said:

When I went to Germany in 2011 on one if my annual visits to Mom, I was asked by my Red Hat friends and members to take our red hat along for the trip. My task was to to place the hat in various spots and take lots of pictures. So, I did and Mom,  the hat and I had lots of fun finding interesting places the hat would approve of. So, stay tuned for the Red Hat's Travel tales. I used Google Map for this. The drop shadows for the countries did not want to play nice, so I gave up on those.

Looking forward to your Red Hat stories, Anita. I've heard of the group but don't know the background so please enlighten me. ?

• Like 2

Day 1. I'm a little late starting mine but am focusing on a holiday to southern Turkey this year. Should have used the same map for my background and to make my Turkey overlay as they are slightly different in perspective. The examples shown so far from you all look inspiring. I have used a gradient fill for my main shape and added the shadow.

So far.JPG

• Like 1
  • Love 9

1 minute ago, fiona cook said:

Day 1. I'm a little late starting mine but am focusing on a holiday to southern Turkey this year. Should have used the same map for my background and to make my Turkey overlay as they are slightly different in perspective. The examples shown so far from you all look inspiring. I have used a gradient fill for my main shape and added the shadow.

So far.JPG

Love it.  Have used the map background before, but that overlay of the place where you travelled is really great.

5 hours ago, Anita Wyatt said:

Really great layout.  I had heard of the red hat group before, but enlighten us with your experience with the group.  This is another really great way to show your travels.  That red hat "travelling" is such a good idea.  Way to go!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

I have decided to do my Travel Tale on 3 trips during the Summer of 2023. Trip 1: Virginia Beach, Virginia; trip 2: Ashboro, North Carolina to the NC Zoo; trip 3: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to the National Senior Games. The location pin with the heart is where I live.

Travel Tale Map Day 1 600.jpg

Great idea using the location markers.

• Love 1

These are such great layouts "youall"!  You are giving me a jolt of creativity to get started on my trip.  I've wanted to do a photo book on the trip Joe, Laurie and I took in 2021 in the RV.  I'm not a big fan of RV travel, but it has its advantages.  It was north and west from Memphis, TN and while I've used a google map for the background on previous travel workshops, your inspirational use of maps are giving me food for thought.  I'm late in getting started as things have kind of piled up on me at home, but I'll get busy.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Jenifer Lyn said:

I have made a HUGE blunder I am afraid.
I am so used to making my projects at 3600X3600 and though resizing, not having to watch the actual file size.
I went just a little too far on this first day, that no matter how tiny I made it, it was still quite a large file.

I haven't had a "peek" yet, but I discovered I had to increase the Compression Value in my File/Export/Save as a .JPG dialog box up to 72 for display here in the Forum. Maybe that would help you. I even saved an icon on my top menu bar for that command and for the .PNG.

Here is my Day One map/trip project featuring a jaunt my daughter and granddaughter took from Pennsylvania, USA, to Toronto, CA, last week. Their route goes from Matamoras, PA, to Newark Airport in NJ by car, and from there the flight to Toronto.  I started out with the template but ended up paring it down a lot. I like playing with maps!

DAY ONE TRAVEL WORKSHOP AUG 2023-RIGHT SIDE MAPS_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 1
  • Love 13

13 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

I haven't had a "peek" yet, but I discovered I had to increase the Compression Value in my File/Export/Save as a .JPG dialog box up to 72 for display here in the Forum. Maybe that would help you. I even saved an icon on my top menu bar for that command and for the .PNG.

OOOoo! What a wonderful idea!
I will go try that & see if I can at least post a little something here.
Thank you so much Ann! ❥

Edited by Jenifer Lyn
EDITITNG to add ..
  • Like 1

A VERY big thank you to Ann, I am now able to at least share a bit of what I created! ❥

Day 1 
I haven't been outside of the farm in ages.
So I chose a vacation that I have dreamed of since I was a little girl, Fashion Week in Paris!

I spent countless hours with my Auntie, watching all the fashion shows & cutting favorites from magazines,
to save in a box for future inspiration. We would frequent our most treasured fabric store to touch and feel the newest trends,
all the while dreaming it was me that was to model in those lovely dresses and my Auntie and I that would sew them.
I was no more the model than a couture seamstress, so instead, I clung to my roots and farmed instead! HaHaHa

I am so used to making my projects at 3600X3600 and though resizing, not having to watch the actual file size.
I went just a little too far on this first day, that I had to lower the quality by quite a bit.
I added the original to my Photobucket  HERE  , if you would like to see the original size & quality.
(I will place all my regular sized files in this folder from the Campus, so please feel free to take peeks as you wish). 
* I have been using challenges and now these workshops as well, for compiling some of my better pieces, to show in my new shop.
This allows me to get 2 tasks done at the same time, and in it, saving much time. 

Fonts used are: AdornS Condensed Sans & P22 Typewriter

Day 1-Travel Tale WS.jpg

Edited by Jenifer Lyn
Forgive my many edits.
  • Love 13

5 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

I love it - using pastels for the state shapes is great - it has a light and airy feel to it.  Why in the world was the trip terrible?

Thank you, Mary! It was supposed to look like the road maps from the 1950s and 60s, ,but I realized that the old map was VERY light and only the state borders were darker, as if the were outlined with one of those thick chisel tip markers. I would have LOVED to do that, but holy cow, it would be a LOT of work, so I used a different layer and just lightened them then put the black overlay on top. (So I can change the colors if it becomes necessary…I think I might have a lot of red, white and blue photos, but I don’t remember. I just sent the whole lot of them from my phone to Dropbox so I can pick them up with my desktop.)

You’ll have to stay tuned for the terrible trip part, but know I am the world’s worst travel agent. Someday I’ll make a book about my week long vacation to Memphis.

Michele, that texture on your Ireland map is delicious! How did you do it?

and I borrowed your location marker idea, too, Bonnie!

Jenifer Lyn, such a beautiful, intricate LO. I had to go to Photobucket to take it all in!    A one-way ticket, though? Your family would be devastated! 

The rest of you have awesome maps and so exotic!  everybody’s is so professional looking. What always strikes me is how we all have the same directions, and every single one is so different from the next! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Marie-ClaireJust out of curiosity, did you use Google Map? It seems different than what I would expect, and it is really nice!

@Bonnie Ballentine Interesting how you added those shadings for the areas instead of "just" the pointer. So we will become spectators for your tournaments? 

@SuzyWith such a title, it will surely be piquing everyone's curiosity!

@Anita Wyatt That will be so much fun. I have heard of a plush toy going on trips and posing for various shots, but never heard of a hat doing the same. That will be definitely interesting!

@fiona cook It is amazing how changing a solid color to a gradient gives a totally different look! I love that!

@Ann Seeber Fun interpretation. It is ok and welcomed when we start with a template and customize it. 

@Jenifer Lyn Just a note that although it is recommended to resize to 600 pixels, if you have a double page, you can probably go to 1000 pixels and the system will allow it. Shrinking a double page to 600 pixels is like resizing a full-size page to 300 pixels. So go ahead and show off!

@Anja Pelzer Simple and clean. That bevel adds just the perfect level of 3D effect!

@Michele That "boring" page has a lot of character. That watercolor texture is great. Where did you get it?

Keep them coming. As you can see, everyone has a different take on the same tutorials, and every project is inspiring others. And to me, even the "boring" projects, are very interesting!

• Love 2

24 minutes ago, Cassel said:

@Marie-ClaireJust out of curiosity, did you use Google Map? It seems different than what I would expect, and it is really nice!

I tried with google maps, but yesterday I didn't understand very well how to make the outline. I read the explanation several times but maybe I was too tired, didn't understand it.
I used existing silhouettes and the map below is also not from google maps.
I have read the explanation several times today and I think I now understand better what the intention was.

@Suzy You know, Memphis is my town.  I hope you do get a chance to make a travel book about your visit.  did you come to see Graceland? or the Peabody ducks? or the Elvis Presley bash in August at Graceland? or the football team? or the baseball team? or just to see what it is all about? and what about Beale Street? 

Did you enjoy my various layouts about Memphis earlier this year?

Edited by Mary Solaas

I'm a bit late but I'm doing this workshop (or the former challenge) for the 3 time now and I used knowing what is coming to make day1 and 2 before I submitted my layout. Now I haven't have to come back to it later to add some more things like the route we took. I used the template from day one but changed it for my needs. As embellishments I used the state flags, colors, seals, flowers and birds, which I already had downloaded for my album about my journey to America earlier this year. I will use my photos and I'll try to pick different ones then in my album. As usual I won't use photos from my family, I don't like to blur their faces.

Travel Workshop 2023-day 1-resized.jpg

• Love 11