What are you working on (in July 2023)?

Cassel

Susan, that’s really interesting on the background remover removing it to a solid white color.  Not useful for the bulk of our projects, except that picture of Magic’s tea party. With a white background, Ann Seeber could use the same garden background and set Magic’s pic to screen, I think, but maybe it’s multiply. One lets the background show thru white.

I’m at the App Store, looking at Adobe Express,  but being that shiny things capture my attention, I saw Adobe Scan + OCR in the same listing. “Oooh”, I think, “that sounds perfect!”  Well guess what? I was looking for a trap because you had found one (IMHO) on that background eraser.

You can do the OCR just fine, but you can’t *do* anything with it because it puts it in .jpg format - a picture of text. Might as well take a picture of it.  Or .pdf format. Where you need to PAY MONTHLY for being able to manipulate the text. I’m thinking of scans I could take of text for my newsletter, but either thing, .jpg or .pdf would not be helpful since you know 99% of the time, it would be the wrong size for legibility, or too wide or narrow as a block for the amount of space. Plus I usually edit heavily because my contributors talk and talk… ooh, look how long this post it, ROTFL,

!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just did a little birthday card using Adobe Express and Unsplash (thank you all for that resource!).  So how do I tell when somebody’s birthday is using Facebook? Can I just look it up?  Where? How?  Usually it only shows ON the day,  but I need advanced warning to make sure I log in that day…I’m just not sure it’s available.

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Susan I have the same problem. I already have an Adobe account from way back when I needed one for reading ebooks but I never looked at Adobe Express. So now I did but like you I find that I have to learn a lot and I don't think I have the time nor the gusto to study a new program while I have so much more to learn about scrapbook. For the time being I stick to PSP. Maybe if you and others are getting exceptional lovely results I''ll change my mind

I'm more with you.  PSP will get better and more than that, I will get better at using PSP's tools.  I feel the same, it's another program to learn, taking me away from PSP.  I dont want to be mediocre at several programs when i can strive to be good at one program.  It's one of the hardest lessons I've had to learn.  I'd have saved a lot of money if I'd realize that sooner in life.  If someone is familiar with the Adobe products already then it's a no-brainer for them.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, Suzy said:

Susan, that’s really interesting on the background remover removing it to a solid white color.  Not useful for the bulk of our projects, except that picture of Magic’s tea party. With a white background, Ann Seeber could use the same garden background and set Magic’s pic to screen, I think, but maybe it’s multiply. One lets the background show thru white.

I’m at the App Store, looking at Adobe Express,  but being that shiny things capture my attention, I saw Adobe Scan + OCR in the same listing. “Oooh”, I think, “that sounds perfect!”  Well guess what? I was looking for a trap because you had found one (IMHO) on that background eraser.

You can do the OCR just fine, but you can’t *do* anything with it because it puts it in .jpg format - a picture of text. Might as well take a picture of it.  Or .pdf format. Where you need to PAY MONTHLY for being able to manipulate the text. I’m thinking of scans I could take of text for my newsletter, but either thing, .jpg or .pdf would not be helpful since you know 99% of the time, it would be the wrong size for legibility, or too wide or narrow as a block for the amount of space. Plus I usually edit heavily because my contributors talk and talk… ooh, look how long this post it, ROTFL,

!

that's my problem, I see something or someone talks about something new and shiny and I just have to have it.  then I never use it.  It's my downfall.  I'm trying to narrow my learning for a little while and learn what I need to learn even when I dont know I need to learn it.  hahaha, both of us with similar names (and similar last names) are quite wordy.  that's hilarious.  I'll be quiet now...because I have to go to work.  But you can sure, I'll be talking a lot there.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Suzy said:

I just did a little birthday card using Adobe Express and Unsplash (thank you all for that resource!).  So how do I tell when somebody’s birthday is using Facebook? Can I just look it up?  Where? How?  Usually it only shows ON the day,  but I need advanced warning to make sure I log in that day…I’m just not sure it’s available.

I think you can get that info from the person's page.

2 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I tried the Adobe Express.  Some learning required.  I managed to make an extraction, it did pretty good.  Only I cant figure out how to get a transparent PNG, it puts it on a white background.  I did my own extraction to compare.  Mine does result in a larger size, but it's sure fast to do it with Adobe.  I just need to learn yet another program.  ugh.  Now that I have a shiny new Adobe account I should take the plunge and download Bridge too.  When will I have time for PSP.

I checked it out earlier, and I'm just not sure I want to invest the time to learn it. I'm still struggling with many aspects of PSP and not sure my brain can handle yet another new learning curve. They do have a free "upload" feature which takes the image and removes the background for one, but not sure how good that is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Suzy said:

Holy cow! So much to talk about here! Nice job everyone. Michele, the shadow-frame really was a happy accident! Bonnie, congratulations, you really are a role model for us! I like the color one better, I think.  And Donna, the gllitter and card are really nice. I especially like the fill you made on the text, isn’t that silly? With all the other stuff you did? But I am really into fills now, so that’s what stuck with me. 

Is Adobe Express for iPad or desktop? I think I supposedly have it on my iPad, but I do not recall ever using it or seeing it. Not the icon, not the tools…Nada. Well, you don’t have to answer, I can look it up. Adobe stock (stock market price) is ever-higher, which means their monthly models (software rental with monthly fees) are working. Which means I agree, I don’t need it for $10.00 a month.

Some time ago I bought (on sale, good price) Affinity Photo for iPad. I really like it and use it with a stylus. But I just don't have the time to devote to watching tutorials on how to use it well. As you so succinctly said, I'd rather be good at one than mediocre at several similar programs. I especially don't want to pay a monthly fee for another I likely won't use much either. (Affinity Photo 2 is out, no fees involved, FYI.)

Edited by Julie Magerka
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

that's my problem, I see something or someone talks about something new and shiny and I just have to have it.  then I never use it.  It's my downfall.  I'm trying to narrow my learning for a little while and learn what I need to learn even when I dont know I need to learn it.  hahaha, both of us with similar names (and similar last names) are quite wordy.  that's hilarious.  I'll be quiet now...because I have to go to work.  But you can sure, I'll be talking a lot there.  

Sistahs, didn’t I hear you say? Hahaha. I didn’t even think of the last names! ??

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I'm always blown away when I see your layouts.  this is really beautiful.  I did a layout recently where I had turnd off the frame layer to see something and saw that the shadow layer on it own looked better than having the frame layer.  Your frame also has a beveled look, is that because you used cutout.  I dont quite understand how to use the cutout even though i think I used it in some of the tutorials.  So much to remember with PSP.

Thank you so much, Susan. I think the beveled look is due to using both a cutout layer and a drop shadow. I use the 3D cutout effect fairly often without the interior fill. It gives what might be described as a drop shadow that is applied evenly inside an empty space. At least that's how I use it. If you go to Effects: 3D Effects: Cutout and click on the Help button, it will open a page in the PSP Help database showing you how to use it. I'm not a great teacher so maybe Cassel can address it, perhaps in one of the Q&A sessions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Michele said:

Thank you so much, Susan. I think the beveled look is due to using both a cutout layer and a drop shadow. I use the 3D cutout effect fairly often without the interior fill. It gives what might be described as a drop shadow that is applied evenly inside an empty space. At least that's how I use it. If you go to Effects: 3D Effects: Cutout and click on the Help button, it will open a page in the PSP Help database showing you how to use it. I'm not a great teacher so maybe Cassel can address it, perhaps in one of the Q&A sessions.

That is a good idea, although I'm pretty sure this has come up somewhere in a class, tutorial r workshop. Only I don't remember in which one; I once intended to make a list of all the different topics and where they are mentioned but I never did....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Michele said:

thank you Michele, I will give it a try.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

That is a good idea, although I'm pretty sure this has come up somewhere in a class, tutorial r workshop. Only I don't remember in which one; I once intended to make a list of all the different topics and where they are mentioned but I never did....

Me too, I want to start my own list of the techniques I use or want to use but it never got as far as my thinking about it.  And I know I've done the cutout effect and seen in possibly several videos but cant remember when or where.  I should be making notes as I watch masterclasses, but then I'm so busy writing I dont see what's happening.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Me too, I want to start my own list of the techniques I use or want to use but it never got as far as my thinking about it.  And I know I've done the cutout effect and seen in possibly several videos but cant remember when or where.  I should be making notes as I watch masterclasses, but then I'm so busy writing I dont see what's happening.

That's why I download the pdf files for the master classes. I make notes on them.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I think this was mentioned in the masterclass about shadowboxes, but to be absolutely sure I have to read the pdf tutorial that comes with the class. But no time to do so at the moment, we have company this weekend and I just managed to have a quick peak at my pc.

13 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

That's why I download the pdf files for the master classes. I make notes on them.

I have actually considered compiling SOME Master classes' written instructions and making them into a printed book. That would obviously be for non-members (selling it on Amazon), but I wonder if it would appeal to "outsiders". And if so, which Master Classes? 

What do you think?

• Like 2

Are you guys making notes on a .pdf file? How?  OR are you printing them, and making notes on paper? I ask because I’m not printing out a telephone book (the size of which all of Cassel’s .pdfs combined would be) but if I can make notes on a .pdf ….edit a .pdf…without buying renting more software, I’m super interested!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Suzy said:

Are you guys making notes on a .pdf file? How?  OR are you printing them, and making notes on paper? I ask because I’m not printing out a telephone book (the size of which all of Cassel’s .pdfs combined would be) but if I can make notes on a .pdf ….edit a .pdf…without buying renting more software, I’m super interested!

5 minutes ago, Suzy said:

Me too!

• Like 1

This weekend my town hosted their annual SunSplash summer 3-day festival with the usual activities and events. The weather, however, did not cooperate and it was more RainFest yesterday. Something new on the schedule was a Rubber Duck Race on the river leading into Lake St. Clair. The first three numbered ducks to make the finish line had cash prizes attached to them. The proceeds from the ticket sales were for Windsor Hospice.

The local fire department hoisted a long ladder over the river and released 4000 rubber duckies to float in the current. I don't know whose tickets were the winners.

I used a template from Merisa Lerin and hacked it up quite a bit. I didn't add frames to the photos b/c I think the layout is busy enough.

rubber duck race.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 5

2 hours ago, Suzy said:

I don't print all of them but have printed some and put them in a 3-ring binder in those plastic sleeves. Most of the ones I printed were about shadowing.

I have also printed some of the creative scrap and lab tutorials which are not as many pages. Those are the ones that I do make notes on.

I actually find that it is easier for me to follow along from a printed copy instead of a pdf copy on my computer. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I use my iPad (to see the videos) and sing play along on my desktop. Then I turn and stop the iPad because I can’t go fast enough. BUT I already have a desk full of paper a foot high in most places, so printed .pdfs are out of the question.

Have you ever listened to the tutorials on 2x speed? Carole sounds a little different! ?  but they go nice and fast!

?

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Suzy said:

Have you ever listened to the tutorials on 2x speed? Carole sounds a little different! ?  but they go nice and fast!

I wonder if it compares to when I had technical issues in the live classes and sounded like Minnie Mouse!

• Haha 5

Here's my take on my animal visitors earlier in the week. The font (top and bottom) is Fredericka the Great that Carole sent earlier. The background photo was taken in Pine Island, near me; it's technically part of Warwick. The frame is from my stash, the camera is a watercolor from my Animal kit and the photo was conjured up by Adobe Express.

raccoons 07-2023_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 6