What are you working on (in July 2023)?

Cassel

1 hour ago, Mary Solaas said:

Before the close of July, I'll post what I had started sometime ago as a spreadsheet of the things I had done in the labs.  I abandoned this because of having to reduce the pictures of what I had done.  I am now working on a database to show where articles about tools or actions (such as shadowing, creating masks, etc.) are located so I can bring them up and peruse them.  I was a database programmer in my late adult years (that's what I earned my bread from), however, it is taking me to task and a new learning curve since Access 2016 is the new game in town and somewhat different and more sophisticated than my old Access database.

2023-07-30_1000.jpg

This is great Mary.  I was also toying with a spreadsheet for the labs.  It started from the Vector workshop.  I had printed (in booklet form) the lessons (and coil bound them) and it occured to me there is really good lessons with Vectors in the Labs so I want to keep track of ones that have tutorials using Vectors.  One detail I'm wondering.  Do I include text in this, as text is a vector but it's almost a subject unto itself.  

Also, I want to follow a similar thing to what Rene does with her scrap layout spreadsheets.  

And then I want to do........(insert the zillion other things I want to do - I need a 42 hour day!)

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Suzy said:

Mary, that is awesome! I’m so jealous because it looks so pretty!

I keep forgetting about Access, it’s always Excel I reach for. Are the two programs different for this type of application?  It seems as if I am the only person here who didn’t work with little boxes, so I don’t know this stuff! (I was in Industrial sales…I sold steel, aluminum and high temperature alloys.)

Is this showing your lab work? Or is it showing the pictures from lessons? I don’t recognize the pictures at all. Where did they come from? I would totally buy this from you when you finish! ?

Cool job you had.  I love metal. I was a silversmith and just sold all my silver/supplies/tool last year to buy my new camera.  And just sold the last of stuff, one of which was a 36" x 96" 21 or 22 gauge sheet of copper.  It was for foldforming but I stopped doing any metal work when I moved here and had picked up my camera again.  I also did a lot of glass stuff (melting it, Lampwork and Fusing).  I have a much smaller now, but still too much stuff in it (all paper arts stuff).  I started in photography when I was 17 and was even a minilab supervisor for years, then put it down to do other arts and now I've come full circle back to photography again.  this is where I'll stay, with a little bit of paper arts in the mix.  

• Love 2

8 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

This is great Mary.  I was also toying with a spreadsheet for the labs.  It started from the Vector workshop.  I had printed (in booklet form) the lessons (and coil bound them) and it occured to me there is really good lessons with Vectors in the Labs so I want to keep track of ones that have tutorials using Vectors.  One detail I'm wondering.  Do I include text in this, as text is a vector but it's almost a subject unto itself.  

Also, I want to follow a similar thing to what Rene does with her scrap layout spreadsheets.  

And then I want to do........(insert the zillion other things I want to do - I need a 42 hour day!)

ME TOO!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I need to go in and open every Lab and look for vector stuff, too!  
I don’t know about text. I used a dingbat font on my Vector Class instead of drawing it, and I was stuck on Lesson 2 forever, until I got to Lesson 4, and got stuck there, too!  Turns out it was because of the vector font, but not all vector fonts, just the one I chose! (That’s probably not true. But I would guess fewer than 3-4% of fonts would not do what they were supposed to do as vectors in those lessons.)

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Suzy said:

I need to go in and open every Lab and look for vector stuff, too!  
I don’t know about text. I used a dingbat font on my Vector Class instead of drawing it, and I was stuck on Lesson 2 forever, until I got to Lesson 4, and got stuck there, too!  Turns out it was because of the vector font, but not all vector fonts, just the one I chose! (That’s probably not true. But I would guess fewer than 3-4% of fonts would not do what they were supposed to do as vectors in those lessons.)

That's good to know.  I've had some problems with fonts in general.  Cutting off parts of their glyphs, no matter how much room you give the font.  It happens, considering the source of the fonts and the validity of the origins of the said font.  Everyone making the same fonts, it's not hard to figure out what's going on.  I still use them.

• Like 1

I was thinking that if I decide to include fonts in the book I printed, I will probably add a cardstock (real cardstock, not digital, LOL!) divider for those lessons. Maybe even a title page saying FONTS. Mine is a ring binder, so I could just do a piece of cardboard with a tab that says fonts.

I think there are some argyle lessons, with dashed lines where I want to use a font instead of the PSP lines which I absolutely hate. (And I hate that in 30 years they have never been updated the choices when every other program in the world has a huge selection of lines, boxes, hollow dots, and all manner of shapes as lines.) so I might have more use for a separate fonts section than just the typical font lessons.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Suzy said:

I was thinking that if I decide to include fonts in the book I printed, I will probably add a cardstock (real cardstock, not digital, LOL!) divider for those lessons. Maybe even a title page saying FONTS. Mine is a ring binder, so I could just do a piece of cardboard with a tab that says fonts.

I think there are some argyle lessons, with dashed lines where I want to use a font instead of the PSP lines which I absolutely hate. (And I hate that in 30 years they have never been updated the choices when every other program in the world has a huge selection of lines, boxes, hollow dots, and all manner of shapes as lines.) so I might have more use for a separate fonts section than just the typical font lessons.

I love ring binders too, they are great when you need to add more info.  I did divide my lessons up as well.  Like to be organized....hahahaha.  I say that with a straight face when I'm complaining about how UNorganized I am.  A true Gemini.  

• Haha 1

All our talk about how to keep information on all the information we need to find, or go back to.  One of the nice things Carole did for us was to arrange the labs and master classes in alpha order and to (in the case of the labs) tell what each module in the lab had instructions for creating.  I have found that most helpful.  I plan on keeping a folder in my special stash (K drive on my computer) for Workshops (the name of the workshop tells what it is instructing), and this may be instead of the database I would have to really study to complete (as well as the time to fill the different tables with items typewritten).  I will keep the guidebooks and mp4's for each workshop there.  

Edited by Mary Solaas
  • Like 1

This is how I keep track instead of a spreadsheet. I have a folder called Tutorials with sub-folders for the different types of tutorials. Within each category, there are more sub-folders for the tutorials. 

Cassel Tutorials 1.jpg

Cassel Tutorials 2.jpg

Edited by Michele
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

6 hours ago, Michele said:

This is how I keep track instead of a spreadsheet. I have a folder called Tutorials with sub-folders for the different types of tutorials. Within each category, there are more sub-folders for the tutorials. 

Cassel Tutorials 1.jpg

Michele, I have something similar to this.

Edited by Cristina

2 hours ago, Michele said:

Cassel Tutorials 1.jpg

Cassel Tutorials 2.jpg

I have a similar structure as well.  I like that you put "cass" in the name too.  I think I will add that, it would differentiate them from other tutorials.  I like to see the file structures people use, it gives me ideas on better management.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

I have a similar structure as well.  I like that you put "cass" in the name too.  I think I will add that, it would differentiate them from other tutorials.  I like to see the file structures people use, it gives me ideas on better management.    

I have a level above those, too. Sometimes I think I have too many levels. lol

Image10.jpg

4 hours ago, Michele said:

Zo houd ik het bij in plaats van een spreadsheet. Ik heb een map genaamd Tutorials met submappen voor de verschillende soorten tutorials. Binnen elke categorie zijn er meer submappen voor de tutorials. 

Cassel-zelfstudies 1.jpg

Cassel-zelfstudies 2.jpg

Michele I hope to fix my laptop like you.  From what I can see, YOU LIKE PURPLE. ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Michele said:

I have a level above those, too. Sometimes I think I have too many levels. lol

Image10.jpg

I know just what you mean.  I am a chronic over-organizer, not that you'd see an OCD tidy house, I am far from that.  But I tend to over-organize which sub folder after subfolder and it's hard to find stuff.  the funny part is what didnt work before, when I couldnt find stuff, led me to have too many subfolders and I still cant find stuff.  My take away is...I have too much stuff.?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

I know just what you mean.  I am a chronic over-organizer, not that you'd see an OCD tidy house, I am far from that.  But I tend to over-organize which sub folder after subfolder and it's hard to find stuff.  the funny part is what didnt work before, when I couldnt find stuff, led me to have too many subfolders and I still cant find stuff.  My take away is...I have too much stuff.?

Have you ever used SuperFinder XT? I have an article about it. I use it extensively to search for things on my computer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Cristina said:

Is Xavier?! He really grew!

I am sure the party was a big success!

Yes, it is Xavier. Three years old now.

The weather was perfect, and the kids had a ball with the waterslide.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Michele said:

Cassel Tutorials 1.jpg

Cassel Tutorials 2.jpg

I do pretty much the same as you and as some other members. For my needs it works great and isn't too complicated! The main thing is that I can remember how I set this up and I don't have to learn a new system! I think I will stick to it, way too much work to start something new!

• Like 1