Quick-Page Workshop - May 2022

Cassel

Susan, you are most welcome. May I  make a suggestion, that when you orientate a QP, you need to take into account that  the shadowing isn't going to be consistent with the light source coming  from the top left.

Ann Seeber, I suggested different options to the blend mode, including the Hue sat lightness, which I actually prefer in some cases, as it retains some variation in colours. It depends on what the creator is looking for, to showcase their photos.

Oh man?‍♀️ , and I was thinking, why was it black there? hahaha. Good catch and thanks for noticing, I really need to study everything much better than I do.  Since I watch a ton of Lindsay Adler's lighting tutorials here is my sweet fix.  I did Mirror>horizontal on the large photo so the window light is now mostly coming in on the right side (camera right).  Sumi cat is being my light modifier (GOBO or flag) and subject (is that even possible) and casting a shadow onto the other 3 photo's.  the direction of the shadow at her feet are now more correct, shame on me for not seeing that part.  Going forward I will be looking at shadows more closely.

You are going to make a designer out of me yet, and it makes my heart sing that you take the time to really look and help me.  Looking at the two, the second one makes quite a difference in the feel of it.

Susan, I can see why you would want to rotate the page.  Creating a portrait view, and not a landscape, in order to accommodate the  very upright, very proud handsome cat.  I'm going to ask you to try this, using the QP as it is supposed to be used, and before adding the photos, free rotate left 90 degrees, and then flip, flip vertical.  By taking these two steps, you will then have the light source of the shadows coming from  the top left.   Shadows can be tricky sometimes, and quite often I have to take a good second look. Although typically the light source comes from the left,  it can also come from the right.

Whew,  Sue you have much finer brain than me to have figured out that orientation.  I did try them all when I first started and I just went with what I found pleasing completely missing the shadows.  Thanks for the instructions, my head was spinning a bit with all the spinning we did with this layout.  I got there in the end!  And boy was it worth it and I've learned a lot tonight.

I also followed your tutorial on the QP color change. It was the first time editing a selection so I'm glad I gave this a try.  It was picky going around the plant and I tried one without doing that and saw that it really does make a difference.  Watching a video recently with Carole doing extractions really helped to know that I needed to zoom in and use different sizes of the eraser and had to unerase with right click too.  I did miss some bits but I was wanting to see if I could do it, I would take more time normaly.  I feel on top the of world after a pretty blah day.  Thank you!

Susan, you most certainly did get there in the end.  It wasn't my intension to have you spinning like a top, but it was worth it.  :-)  You  have every right to be very proud of  yourself, with what you have achieved this evening.  Creating two lovely pages, with what you have learnt this evening.  I don't think you will be forgetting those techniques in a hurry. :-). Yes, when doing extractions it is very important to zoom right in, in order to capture every pixel, for the best result.

Everyone has been submitting beautiful pages.

Using only one extra step, the Hue Saturation lightness tool, to change the colour of the QP, to match the colours in the photos.  Text.

HI just got done but couldn't find  a big picture so copied the freebee from d/l and put it in the top.  I bought the new

2022 so used it, never used the 2021 a couple times.  Anywho that was fun  Thank you    Love alls QPs so cool

IDK  how to open any scripts but used some tubes love those.  Have to learn how to use this 2022, :)

Sue - Thank you so much for the step by step instructions (#76894)  - I'll give them a go and report back.

A little later... and I am so pleased to have succeeded following your instructions - many thanks.

Pirkko, thank you for your kind words.

Ann, I see that we used, coincidently, almost used  the same colouring for  layout 4, using HSL tool.  Although mine is a tad more yellow, as I wanted to pick up the  dandelion yellow, and the mustardy colouring on the bands of the  butterfly's underwings.  You have a lovely selection of birds coming to your feeders.  I now have 3 pairs of Oriole, they are currently going through  2 oranges a day, as insects are still scarce at present.  Orioles are the only birds, that are known  to  feed on  Tent caterpillars, thankfully  we don't get to many of those.

so nice to learn from each other, and to gain inspiration !!

I made this from QP 3 and 4 and the QP extras.

For QP3 extra, I used the color changer again to adjust the dark blue, red and yellow a bit.

With QP 4 extra, I used the adjustment layer hue/saturation/lightness, to add some color I placed a pink flower above the flower, and clicked again with the color changer with pink in the green heart

These 30 metre high sculptures are my QP4

The Kelpies are located at the Helix Park, Falkirk, Scotland. They are the largest equine sculpturesin the world. They can surprise you when driving along the M9 motorwayas the are close by and are lit by colour changing lighting on a night.

Createdby artist Andy Scott they are modelled on two Clydesdale horses called Duke and Baron.

QP5 - IT'S AN INVASION! Canada geese have invaded my yard! They are the largest bird here in the northeast, even bigger than Bald Eagles or Turkey Vultures. They ordinarily live on the big lawn next door but have recently decided they like my feeders. Ugh, their droppings are the problem.  I usually get 2-3 goose visitors but today I had nine!