Template Workshop 2022

Cassel

Corrie, I love the photo of the balloon shadow.  Great touch.

Day 6 layout.

Font is Mystery Quest (CF), photo's mine, bead art, Megan Parks.  I promised I'd do a lighter layout and here I am dark, dark, dark.  wish I'd noticed the blue paper off centre before I did stuff with it.  For some reason the magic wand wouldn't work as it did before.  don't know what I was doing wrong.  I had to click it twice then invert the selection then go up to the paper and hit the delete key.  Hopefully I will get to the second layout.  I must go "adult" now and get groceries and do errands.  It's a beautiful spring day....if I ignore the 2 inches of snow I woke up to ?.  papers and elements are Digital Scrapbook.  I tried adding more elements but I couldn't settle on anything that made sense to me.  I need to alter my ideas of it not needing to make sense, such as the flowers that really have nothing to do with beading, but they are cute.  So I added owls, cause who doesnt like owls.  I added an inner bevel to try and make them more plump and played with the shadow, not sure if I got it.  There was too much shadow at the toes and I played till the shadow was smaller.

I get so confused with the big and small squares in the Materials Palette!  I used the Text Tool to type my first word in the title and then couldn't get the color of red and the stroke color I wanted.  I found out if I make any changes, I have to select the Text by click and drag and not just have the rectangle selection around it. Yet I still couldn't get the squares figured out as to which ones to use.  Also, in doing a drop shadow, I don't have the two windows to look at to compare how to make the settings.  Mine (2022) just shows it on the photo or item on the page so I have to undo to change the settings if they are too strong or weak. I also had trouble when to close the group and merge it.  Apparently, I did it too soon and then I couldn't do one set of flowers and balloons. I had to go back to the video to watch you get the paper background to be outside the rest of it. I struggled but learned a lot!  I even was able to install and use the two scripts you used. They were a time saver! So I made mine with wedding bouquets to send as an anniversary card.

MASK with irregular shape – After trying to work with it, I could not get what I wanted so removed it.

Pictures in the frames – I think I asked this in another workshop – the pictures were duller so adding in frame seemed to cause this – what should I do?

Frame showing lightly inside other frame – this may be related to my problem with Pictures in the frames – what should I do so that the frame does not show within another frame?

Frame – picture inside not wide enough. I chose to just try to center it and it is probably okay. I never thought until now that maybe I could have resized the sides of the frame to the picture.

THE BORDER (FRAME) – I wanted to keep the elements where they were and also to keep the border but did not want it intersecting some of my elements, so I moved it just above the background, behind all the other layers.

Script Question – creating my own CLIP TO IT – I thought it would be nice to try myself as I try to understand SCRIPTS – I thought I would use the script recorder to capture the steps to create the mask and a script was created – but when I run it, I get an error when it tries to move a layer down (happened when I tried to move the Floating layer down) and (happened when I tried to move the picture below the mask).

The error says – The arrange command is not valid in the current program state.

If you have any suggestion as to what to do, I would appreciate knowing.

NOTE: I created a second script that begins immediately after I manually moved the Floating Layer. The second script executed fine until it reached the part where the picture is moved below the mask ... where it failed.

I am learning and trying to challenge myself.

Thank you for these interesting videos.

I had forgotten about these pictures. The BW picture is my dad's family - mother, Henry Retta (yes, that's how she spelled it), father Alford Landreth, and their ten children. My dad is in front wearing the gray shirt next to Aunt Kate who was picking her nose.

The second photo was taken 45 years later and was probably the last time the siblings were all together. My dad is in the back in the center. Aunt Kate is on the right. She outgrew the nose-picking.

The music motif honors the role that music played in the family. Any gathering was a reason to make music.

I agree with Joyce--sometimes the most time-consuming part is making up my mind.

Day 3- I began this last night. Hard to make up my mind on papers, not sure I like what I picked, even if it was the third or fourth one.  Each layout seems to take me 2 days. I used a smaller shadow on the title text, as Carole suggested. I'm not sure it works....but I have decided I am finished for tonight. The crocus photo I took yesterday! Tomorrow we will be taking our daughter back to school, so not sure when I will get to begin day 4.

Lesson 6 Diamond extra.  I found out my problem with the magic wand.  The "all layers"  was "magically" (read: something dumb I did somewhere along the way) checked.  I unchecked it and all was right with the universe again.

This layout is a beaded and foldformed (copper part) bodice made by Megan Parks for an exhibition about breast cancer awareness I believe.  I cant even comprehend the amount of work in this piece.  I used the kit (Digital Scrapbook) for the papers and the elements except the yellow strips that I took a selection from to get the flowers centered.  the font is Cinzel Decorative (CF). I liked the part in the videos about changing the paper color, which I did with the dark Magenta-blue (purple) paper and the Green I used a blend mode, but I forget which one. I had not used blend modes until this class.

Lovely results ladies. I enjoy viewing all the different styles.

My result for Day 6 using the template provided and items from scrap kit bundle called All The Princesses by Janet Kemp at DigitalScrapbook. This is a fabulous large bundle and I especially loved the pack of flower elements.

Font used for title is called Elephant.

Post 74287 - Susan.

I found out my problem with the magic wand.  The “all layers”  was “magically” (read: something dumb I did somewhere along the way) checked.  I unchecked it and all was right with the universe again.

I hate when that happens! I can't remember exactly what I do to cause it to happen and can't open PSP to check if what I think is right. I'm thinking it has to do with linking layers (I do that a lot). The magic wand "all layers" usually checked after I do that. But don't quote me on that.

Mary (#74203) did you forget to add (or to unhide) shadows on the photos? (#74208) You remembered the shadows on this one. :)

Susan (#74204) those two pages are beautiful and work well together. It is interesting how you tweaked those templates. (#74250) Those owls are so cute. I saw further that you figured out the issue with the Magic Wand. So many settings exist for most tools that it is very easy to miss one.

Anita (#74206) as you figured out, whenever you use the Text tool (or a vector tool), it will create OBJECTS that are parts of a vector "group" so to speak. That means that you can end up with several objects for a single vector layer.

Pirkko (#74209) yes, that works so well that I thought it was part of the photo itself. (#74260) That feathered edge on the title is very interesting!

Corrie (#74212) did your husband end up taking flight too or was he the "designated photographer"? (#74246) One tip I can share: sometimes, small photos can be used when photos are bad quality (which is not your case) or when you might want to show smaller details of a larger photo (like the ball in a baseball photo).

Fiona (#74214) although the circle could be used for a photo spot, I didn't use it for that. I used a paper instead. However, your doily is also a great element to use there.

Ann S (#74218) the Clip to it script will work under some specific conditions: you have to have the photo/paper just above the shape you want it clipped to, and the photo/paper layer should be active when you run the script. If you want to test it, give this a try.

Marie-Claire (#74220) those shadows definitely look more realistic. And I love how you created the FB header! Great colors. (#74241) The shadows are also correct on this one! You are getting there. (#74257) It is great to see that even though you changed the position of the greeneries, the shadows were correctly adjusted.

Liz (#74224) you layered the various elements very well. The title shows the shadow of the greenery, which is a nice touch. Well done.

Sharla (#74226) I love that background paper you used. Can you remember where you got it from? Although you said it was challenging, the result is very eye-pleasing.

Cristina (#74234) is that your dog? It is interesting to see the same photo used twice on a single layout. It is not common but it works.

Lynda (#74237) the layout for Ukraine works perfectly well with that kit! And the base shapes really look like a sunflower! (#74243) I had to look twice at the photo to realize that it was an upside-down dancer!

Sue (#74239) that lace frame is so delicate and elegant!

Gramie (#74253) in the Materials palette, the tiny swatches are mostly meant for the gradient, like the Foreground/Background, where you can change those solid colors. For the Text, it will use what is in the larger swatches at the time you click on the project to start adding the Text. If you want to change something to a text that is already applied on the project, you have to highlight it and then you can change some settings (like the colors, the size, the font, etc.) For the two windows for the Drop Shadow, look on the top of that window for the word Preview. There is a tiny triangle on the left. Click on it and it will drop down those windows (just like the little triangle you would get to the left of a group in the Layers palette).

Nancy (#74261) hopefully you will get a spring soon! I see one missing shadow on the top photo. Am I seeing right? Also, on the text on the tag, I think a shadow is there but is just not needed since ink has no thickness.

Joyce (#74263) the second most time-consuming task is choosing the components (photos and supplies)! Who is that cutie in the photos?

Randy (#74266) (1) for the dull photos, I doubt adding a frame would affect the photo however, if you rotate a photo, it will often blur it a little bit. If you rotate multiple times before getting to the correct placement, the blur adds up. Could that be the explanation?  (2) Rearranging the elements is also a good idea. (3) For the script, it might depend on how it was recorded; rearranging layers would require similar layers on both. A few members have taken the scripting course and commented that sometimes, there is more to edit than just the recording part. If you were to record the same steps, with the same layers, on the same image, there are more chances that it will work. If you use a different image, you might have different layer arrangement and the script won't know the difference, and will fail. :(

Gerry (#74274) those are great photos! And I like how you added the year, which is something that is very appropriate when displaying this kind of photos!

Linda (#74280) considering that you have a larger text and a smaller one, I would likely switch the shadows: a bit larger for the larger text and smaller for the sub-title.

Lois (#74289) it looks like your title is floating. It has a similar shadow as the flower while it should have something more similar to the photos/papers.

Tomorrow is the last lesson of this workshop. I hope you are getting more comfortable now. And for those who are following the workshop and have not posted (I know there are some of you) it is not too late!

I have a question about converting a 3600 x 3600 (12x12) template canvas to a 3300 x 2550 (11x8.5) canvas.  Is that possible?  Or would it just be easier to recreate from scratch?  I started my family album photo books in the 11 x 8.5  - because they fit nicely on a standard bookshelf!  But many templates are for the 12 x 12 format.  Are there good pros for using the 12 x 12 format over 11 x 8.5?  Or is that a carry-over from a hard-copy photo album?

Joyce, to answer your question, HERE is a tutorial on how to do it, and HERE is a script that will do it for you. The main reason why digital scrapbook templates are mostly in 3600x3600 is to imitate the traditional paper scrapbooking, and 12x12 simply gave more space to work than the 8.5x11 papers. But you are not the only one who prefers a smaller rectangular format over the large square one.

Carole, you are so right. No shadows on the 1st one. I was really bleary last night and will have to go back and redo that one. I think I have put all the shadows on the one I'm posting tonight (almost morning again!).

I used the teaching you did in the Quick Page Workshop on this one. It helped me to find something to put in those "little squares". The cluster with the bell is one I created with one from PS. The hollys at the top right are also from PS. The papers I created and that ribbon under the cluster is one I created from one of the labs. fantastic that teaching on how to colorize stitching. Sure enjoy the Clip to it. Trust I won't forget how to create a mask!!!

Template 4 - the main photo not very well displayed here (Xanthorrhoea australis), most often called the grass tree/austral grasstree or blackboy.   All photos are mine taken in Western australia.

I am enjoying the various images, template adaptions and stories being presented here, so thankyou.

I love what Everyone has posted...  Fun, creative, lovely, and touching layouts. What a great group!

Late as usual, here is my Day 2 page...   I used the "Template 2 - Diamond" and tweaked it slightly...   For the PaintSplash, I've just changed the Brightness.

Usually, when I use the same photo, one is Black and White, but this time  I thought it was not coming out the way I wanted...   So, I had one layer with the Black and White photo, added the original photo on top of this layer, and lowered the opacity...  Maybe, I could have done the same by lowering the photo saturation.

I used "marisaL-prettythings-glitter-brown2" tile and created the polkadot paper (Cassel's tutorial).

Fonts: Beauty and Love and Great Vibes

Lesson 6

I notice Mary is up at 2am and I am trying to catch up having in the UK lost an hour due to the clocks going forward, just when we have loads to do.

I loved Ann's cheetah and it reminded me of a visit to a cheetah rescue park we visited in Cape Town for a birthday treat I stroked a cheetah. So silky.

Sue, loved the delicate lacey border and wondered how you did it with a brush.

Lesson 6

I decided to keep the template daisy designs, selected sample colours from the photos and colourised by locking the transparency, floodfilling and Adjust-Add Noise. Then adding a reverse shadow helped.

A question: for the template Paper layer that had the texture, could you use it as a mask or clip to it at that stage?

Template - Day 5.

This took me a while but it was a lot of fun and so many new things to learn. I looked at the small Photo boxes then I had an idea. Some time ago, I had download some cat faces  from Melisa Riddle at Digital Scrapbooking and I decided to place them on some of the background papers from Marissa Lerin's kit. The hardest part is always finding pictures for a project. The yellow RicRac is from Janet Scott at Digital Scrapbooking.The gold paw-print on one of the flowers is one of my graphics. Font is Carolina Script.

Carole-That is the same font that I used on the previous page, day 2 I think. I tried a shadow, but with the cut-outs in the letters, it just didn't look right. Your suggestion was a smaller shadow, which I used on day 3. But I am really thinking that font, which is called  'Flora Garden' just can't have a shadow. Or, I suppose, with the shadow on its own layer, the parts inside the cut-outs could be erased? I'm only thinking of that now because it is morning and my brain is in gear! ;)  I don't have time to try it now, because I need to get some breakfast and get in the shower.

Carole - thanks for helpful suggestion.

"Lois (#74289) it looks like your title is floating. It has a similar shadow as the flower while it should have something more similar to the photos/papers."

I wondered about that when I was finished but I saved the page without the title so I could amend that.

So is this better?  I think it is.  We learn something new every day.