Story Time Workshop - 2024

Cassel

Day 5 was easier for me because I took the photos Friday when we went there. The photos are mine. The title font is Silverblade, a free font, and the type is Vintage Remington. I made a alphabet page and the used cass elementstacked script to put each letter on it's own layer. I love that script; it saves so much time. The background bricks are from Resource Boy and the embellishments are preset shapes. Resource Boy website has many textiles and gradients.

dsHartMansion600.jpg

Edited by Donna Sillia
add info
  • Like 1
  • Love 10

Here's my day 5 again, fixed.

I dont have time to take over the world today, as I have some folding to do.  

PS...My husband asked if my "coup" involved locking my parents in the basement and taking over the house.  I said yes, so you better toe-the-line or there might be a take over in this house too! 😨

StoryTime WS Day5 Old Boot Merg600.jpg

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Haha 6
  • Love 4

Day 4
I found the pics on Google and changed them to B&W to give them a nostalgic look. I added some texture to the pink papers just to add a little interest. The title font is Travel Soulmates and the story font is Lavanderia.

large.Day40201600.jpg.175f28409b5fd7807119db060ea3662a.jpg

Edited by Michele
  • Like 2
  • Love 9

1 hour ago, Michele said:

Day 4
I found the pics on Google and changed them to B&W to give them a nostalgic look. I added some texture to the pink papers just to add a little interest. The title font is Travel Soulmates and the story font is Lavanderia.

Oh, my! That does bring back a ton of memories from my childhood in Rutherford. Even girls played with the pink hi-bouncers!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

you crack me up!  Being the "good" Canadian that I am, I failed French in the most spectacular way.

My mother was quite disappointed when I signed up for Spanish in high school. She had done French and wanted someone else in the family to appreciate it. Unfortunately, she never confided her wishes in me, so I just chose Spanish, like my girlfriends. Also, unfortunately, I hated it and kept skipping class which did not put me on the teacher's pet list. I had to repeat Spanish One and then I did Two and when I started college, picked it up again, to no avail. I learned more when we visited Mexico than I ever did in classes. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

Day 5

Fonts are Adorable Mother and Adinda Sayang.  I used Jessica Dunn's Wildwood Thicket bundle for everything except the boots that I found on Vecteezy http://<a href="https://www.vecteezy.com/free-png/hiking-shoes">Hiking Shoes PNGs by Vecteezy</a>

the Alpha is by Marisa Lerin and just says it's called Alpha 59 cork.  I filled in the middle with a leather texture.  Again, used 2022 for the wrapped text for a more smooth workflow.  This is one of my favorite templates so far.  

StoryTime WS Day5 Old Boot Merg600.jpg

Nicely done! I almost used the same Wildwood Thicket and already had some papers on my template, but in the end decided to use something else. I love the work of Jessica Dunn.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

My mother was quite disappointed when I signed up for Spanish in high school. She had done French and wanted someone else in the family to appreciate it. Unfortunately, she never confided her wishes in me, so I just chose Spanish, like my girlfriends. Also, unfortunately, I hated it and kept skipping class which did not put me on the teacher's pet list. I had to repeat Spanish One and then I did Two and when I started college, picked it up again, to no avail. I learned more when we visited Mexico than I ever did in classes. 

Ann isn't that often the way we learn more or better when we are somewhere we hear and have to try to speak a foreign language! Sadly this isn't the case for math or physics.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Nicely done! I almost used the same Wildwood Thicket and already had some papers on my template, but in the end decided to use something else. I love the work of Jessica Dunn.

Me too, she is my favorite at the moment.  Currently using another one for Day 6.

7 hours ago, Michele said:

Day 4

New stuff for me, especially the little pink ball. Guess the trend never made it to small town Ontario!

• Love 2

Already day 7 and I used the template for this day. In another Story Time Workshop (or challenge as it was called) I told the story of me going to my grandparents each weekend to read the newspaper to my granddad because he couldn't read it due to severe eye problems. My gran had to read it to him every day and was glad that I came to relieve a bit of the burden. I had a strong bond with grandpa and loved to come to them. So my story continues with the lavender I started to bring for granny because she loved those blooms and the smell of them; she always had lavender soap and lotion as well. I used the kit Lavender Fields by Jessica Dunn and only the tag doesn't come from that kit. I used one of my own photos of a lavender plant which I once had in the garden and placed it in a round tag that I have in my stash by following the tutorial for this lesson, I had forgotten how to do that........ Title font is Hesthia Austine, the rest Arial

StoryTime-Challenge-Day7-600.jpg

• Love 11

Day 6 - Fear of Heights

The picture of the waterslide is from Canva, the coaster from Unsplash and the last one is from my daughter. I made the background and the waves from cass waves script. The border was me fooling around with directional tubes and vector tube. The pattern is from a cass preset. The title font is Ampera, a layered font from CF, and the text is Vintage Remington. The stars are from the template and put in a row using cass repeat script. The little black carnival objects are from a CF dingbat font called DBAmusement Park. 

dsfears600.jpg

• Like 1
  • WOW 1
  • Love 9

3 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Already day 7 and I used the template for this day. In another Story Time Workshop (or challenge as it was called) I told the story of me going to my grandparents each weekend to read the newspaper to my granddad because he couldn't read it due to severe eye problems. My gran had to read it to him every day and was glad that I came to relieve a bit of the burden. I had a strong bond with grandpa and loved to come to them. So my story continues with the lavender I started to bring for granny because she loved those blooms and the smell of them; she always had lavender soap and lotion as well. I used the kit Lavender Fields by Jessica Dunn and only the tag doesn't come from that kit. I used one of my own photos of a lavender plant which I once had in the garden and placed it in a round tag that I have in my stash by following the tutorial for this lesson, I had forgotten how to do that........ Title font is Hesthia Austine, the rest Arial

StoryTime-Challenge-Day7-600.jpg

That is so touching! What a wonderful story.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Day 6 StoryTime: Why do children have such weird fears? I had so many  of them. They seem to be universal, more or less. When I was putting this together, I thought "how silly was that?" But it was so real and so scary!

StoryTime Day 6 under the bed_600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 9

On 7/27/2024 at 10:44 PM, Bonnie Ballentine said:

Here's my day 5. I didn't enjoy going to the Farmer's Market when I was a kid but I have fond memories of our trips there. 

large.2024727ButterbeansStoryTime-Challenge-Day5600.jpg.6960d51f8f0efc5369543ed300740644.jpg

I didn't use an alpha. I made a seamless pattern of the butterbean photo and used it as a fill for my text. I gave it an outline to help it show up better. I also added a small drop shadow. Perhaps I should add a bit more shadow... Butterbean and produce photos are from the web.

My mother canned every summer for decades. My sister and I were scarce when it came time to shell peas. Recently, one of my nieces talked about how she hated to shell peas and her sisters chimed in with the same sentiment.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@Bonnie Ballentine I bet you still remember the smell of that market too! I remember that quote about fear used by Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory!! Interestingly, I have vertigo if I even SEE a video or a picture of someone on an edge, yet, I am ok with those coasters. But you won't see me walk on the edge of the CN tower!!! EVER!

@Susan EwartThe shadow for the horse would depend on where the "surface" is. Is it a wall behind? If so, how far is it? Is there a floor? Those are the questions you will need to ask yourself before creating the shadow and tweaking it. Did your mom change her cooking of the roast beef after hearing of that nickname?

@Corrie Kinkel I feel that we are allowed not to like something, but what I see too often is that kids are picky and parents will enable that. For me, if I am picky and I get invited somewhere, I'll eat enough before going and I usually find something I can eat there, without saying anything. My mom was also scared of lightning, and I was too, when young. But by the time I was a teen, somehow, I conquered that fear and loved watching thunderstorms. My kids would also love it when it was lightning. If it was at night, we would pull out the hide-a-bed and watch the show through the large livingroom window

@Ann Seeber I bet it was the way many kids learned to swim (or fear water) in those days! I learned to swim around 3-4, yet later, I convinced myself that I didn't know how to swim and once, in a pool, the inflatable toy I had around my waist got off me, and I sank (I was in the shallow end and could have stood up), yet I tucked in a ball and waved my arms around, making me go round and round and round, until my aunt saw me! Strangely, I still HATE to touch the bottom of a pool (except in the shallow end) or the ocean. I was once cut by razor clam under my foot. Another story I should write down on a page! The word COUP in French also means HIT/PUNCH. But also that political overthrowing.

@Donna Sillia Be thankful that it happened in the 60's. If it was in modern days, there would be dozens of clips of it on YouTube!

@Daniel Hess If you add text inside a shape, you can contract the selection before adding the text to give a little padding on the edges.

@Dan GreenwoodThose shadows make a world of difference! Did your nephew ever found out about their mystery gifter?

@Gerry Landreth You should team up with Ann at the Drive-in!! 🙂 

@Michele Funny, I never played with a pink ball. I seem to remember our balls were red, white, and blue. Maybe they were a different kind.

@Anja Pelzer That is such a fun layout!!! I bet they didn't have unbreakable glasses back then! The laundry story is a nice angle to the topic!

@Julie MagerkaIsn't it amazing how our imagination would make us fear things?

As for issues with PSP2023, it is true. There was an update #2 in August 2023 that fixed some bugs and added some fixes. However, it added that bug related to the wrapped text getting unwrapped when you need to edit it afterward. I will investigate to see if there is a workaround. In the meantime, I have no clue if there will be another update/patch this year as Corel/Alludo has dissolved the beta-testing group a few weeks ago. That is where I would get some of the "inside information".

And I agree with everyone saying that this workshop is a great way to learn some things about each other. Maybe, next time, I will offer different prompts for the lessons so we can learn even more!

• Like 3
  • Love 1