Vector Workshop 2024

Cassel

Lesson 3. Use pen tool to outline an object.  I chose to do the watermelon slice from the group given of summer fun stuff.  I made a preset shape with just the red slice. I then used it to create the slice I could use in a summer picnic layout.

MLS-WatermelonSlice-2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 6

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

@Jeni Simpson I am glad for you that you had the time to follow the workshop this year! Where were the settings in the end? Were they collapse on the side? I am glad you have all the settings now to complete the projects and the results are worth it!

Tomorrow, we will go through a totally new way to use vectors and that will open up so many options for you. Stay tuned!

Thank you, Carole, I had been searching for offset, yet when you said where to find it, and that was where I had been searching, I actually found it to the right, after warp text and mitre limit. I tried this text in a circle again, using an ellipse, and a quote from Pablo Picasso. 
I'm no fan of his later work although have an illustration he did of a horse and the anatomy is accurate.
everything-picasso-600.jpg.b5f88d92d6f8f297c1ee0d21dae49d38.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 8

6 hours ago, Cassel said:

Activate the object in question and go to Selection > Modify > Recover Anti-Alias. 

Oh, wow, I didn't know this. I also hadn't noticed that my anti-alias would stop working spontaneously from time to time. I do take special care with the settings for the Pick Tool which seem to change without warning. I've also realized it may depend on if I just used a script as they do change settings without warning.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Lesson 4 "Failure".  Haven't figured out where it went wrong but the "cutout" isn't truly "cutting out" for me.  Maybe I missed one of those double node merges but I didn't see any to merge.  At any rate I should be seeing transparency in the handle after using the Preset Shape I exported and it is filling just like the main cup. 

The dog is pestering me for his walk and he won't let me concentrate on anything else until that "ritual" has been observed.  As of September last year, we had 3611 (and change) miles logged with my Garmin watch (since Nov 2016) and have done a couple or more hundred since September.  He is almost 11 and we won't have him for too much longer...he is a large doberman...getting gray and he runs out of steam early after commencing our walks these days.  Pretty much maxing out at 1.5 miles on good days.

failure01.jpg

tysonframe.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Love 6

LESSON 5 

I found this tricky. I now see why Carole keeps emphasizing to convert to path. It is so easy for me to forget that step.

I like how far I can go in PaintShop Pro.

I usually use AAA LOGO Software to create text on circle. I like the fact that it has a lot of shapes that come with the product. It also has the ability to add things like an outer glow and inner glow. 

How can I go from my PaintShop Pro version to add the features I can in AAA Logo?

I know that I could try to create a shape with the points but expect it would be tedious and would probably not be 100% symmetrical.  

I have a script that I created to duplicate and rotate and used that to create the points (but it is not vector). I added that behind my text on path and can get part way to where I can with AAA Logo software. For some reason, as I duplicate and rotate, the size of each eventually grows so that my last triangle is noticeably larger than my first one ... I don't know why this enlargement happens It is most noticeable at the top .

Any suggestions on how to get it all the way to look like AAA Logo creates it would be appreciated.

Anyway, in PSP, I think I may be able to replicate results. I have tried now a number of times with some success.

NOTE:  The one with the green glow is the AAA Logo one.

TEXT ON CIRCLE - HAVE A REALLY GOOD DAY.jpg

TEXT ON CIRCLE - AAA LOGO MAKER 600.jpg

TEXT ON CIRCLE - WITH ADDITIONS IN PSP.jpg

Edited by Randy
  • Like 7
  • Love 3

15 hours ago, middie said:

Second parts of lesson5 is enclosed. The image (which does look a lot like me) is from Pngtree where I have a premium subscription. 

vector5b sharon.jpg

This is lovely!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Haven't had much time to play as a major house project started much earlier than I expected .... but I am following along.  Love seeing what everyone has been doing!  I am looking forward to July 4th ... a traditional day of BBQ around this family!

July 4th rs2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 11

I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong at this point.  I've deleted everything and gone back the drawing board and followed along step by step with Lesson 4, pausing the video with each step.  It "cuts" the cutout vector and I can paste it into the "cup" vector and reposition it but the cutout is filled when I check it.  The only thing different is that I'm working on the original canvas of many cups and started with the upper left one.  The vectors are in the layers palette and show up on the canvas and when I switch to fill AND stroke its all there except the cutout is NOT cut out.  GRRRR !!!  To the best of my knowledge I'm set up exactly as Caroline was in the video for the pen tool.  The image below is what I have right after I paste the cutout into the main cup vector and reposition it.  The "test" fails (so far) every time.

failure02.jpg

• Love 3

23 minutes ago, Daniel Hess said:

I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong at this point.  I've deleted everything and gone back the drawing board and followed along step by step with Lesson 4, pausing the video with each step.  It "cuts" the cutout vector and I can paste it into the "cup" vector and reposition it but the cutout is filled when I check it.  The only thing different is that I'm working on the original canvas of many cups and started with the upper left one.  The vectors are in the layers palette and show up on the canvas and when I switch to fill AND stroke its all there except the cutout is NOT cut out.  GRRRR !!!  To the best of my knowledge I'm set up exactly as Caroline was in the video for the pen tool.  The image below is what I have right after I paste the cutout into the main cup vector and reposition it.  The "test" fails (so far) every time.

What you have on that last cup looks correct. What do you have in the Vector layer? Can you take a screenshot of the two objects? If needed, you can record your process using Loom, and post a link. I could take a look and maybe find out where our process differ (if they do). Loom is free.

I am going to take just one of the cups in its own file and try it that way.  If that doesn't work, I'll look at getting loom set up.  Right now the "layer" view is very small on the screen and I'm not sure how to zoom just that...but the vectors will show up much "larger" in the view I have after I go to just one of the cups in its own file.

• Like 1

OK.  Doing "ONE" object/cup and changing the stroke width to 10 (from 5) actually worked.  I still do not know what I was doing wrong when using the whole cup file.  I'll take the "win" and might go back and try the big file again.  Originally was going to see if could make a shape file with multiple preset shapes as per lesson two from a few of these.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cassel said:

@Jeni Simpson I am glad for you that you had the time to follow the workshop this year! Where were the settings in the end? Were they collapse on the side? I am glad you have all the settings now to complete the projects and the results are worth it!

@Emerald Jay The reversing of the path for a cutout might not make sense at first, but if you think about it, the inside of the shape can be FILLED, but thinking in the "reverse" of it, it would be EMPTY. So, associating the REVERSE behavior then makes more sense 🙂 Sometimes, you just have to find some ways to remember steps. Yoru sun and text on path look great.

@Daniel Hess I don't understand why your PSP would freeze when exporting a preset shape, wherever the folder is. That is a strange behavior. However, I remember that if I point my PSP to different folders, especially after I added some, it tends to check them all in case of duplicates, and that takes a long time (really long time). Could that have been the issue? And since you removed a folder and it stopped, ... You are doing great so far!

@Jnet Allard Nice cup with those diamonds.

@MoniqueN. Of course there will be more workshops. Sometimes, life happens and PSP just waits.

@Corrie Kinkel In Canada, weather is so often the topic of the day. You might have noticed it in the Campus newsletter too! 😉 You have learned (and remembered) so much in those years since you started.

@Susan Ewart I don't know why the Anti-Alias gets unchecked either, but I notice it too. But if you have a path that is jaggied, do you know that you can recover the Anti-alias without having to redraw the lines? Activate the object in question and go to Selection > Modify > Recover Anti-Alias. 

@Bonnie Borntrager I love that little girl with the text around her. You did a good job!

@Gerry Landreth Your projects for Lesson 5 are delightful!

@middie I sense that you are having fun with those vectors now! I LOVE that vintage quote!

@Donna Sillia Getting ready for the Holidays already? Why not! Fun mug!

@Mary Solaas Mickey is a great character to practice!

Tomorrow, we will go through a totally new way to use vectors and that will open up so many options for you. Stay tuned!

@ Carole Thank you so much, praise from you means a lot to me, because it is you that taught me most of it together with other members of this community!

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Oh, wow, I didn't know this. I also hadn't noticed that my anti-alias would stop working spontaneously from time to time. I do take special care with the settings for the Pick Tool which seem to change without warning. I've also realized it may depend on if I just used a script as they do change settings without warning.

Ann me neither and it happened a lot too. I have written this this "trick" in my list of really important issues. Like you I always check if the Pick Tool is set correctly because that one has a mind of its own 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

With this 5th lesson the fun is starting, at least for me. I use text on a path regularly on all kinds of projects, so no problems here. For this assignment I used a photo from a friend which I have for a long time, but never used it. I vividly remember the very first time I tried to make a postmark in the first Travel Challenge I participated in when I was a newbie to scrapbooking and the Campus. It took me for ages and I didn't understand what I was doing! Now I use postmarks very often for a date or a place and this time I played a bit with my postmark, made it in color with 2 little flowers left and right and a photo in the middle. As it is suppoost to be a postmark I used a distressed brush to give it some grunginess. 

A misty morning-600.jpg

Yosemite-postmark.jpg

What a stunning photo Corrie.   Both of them

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

15 hours ago, Jeni Simpson said:

Day 5 part 2
I found a photograph I took in the early evening from a road up in the hills near where I live. 
I love this time of day, and have a few pix taken at a similar time.
Quote is by Sophocles.
Jeni
jeni-sophocles-quote-600.jpg.057ab19612d7f353a9045f08502a2dba.jpg

LOVE this phot and the quote.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, Cassel said:

I don't know why the Anti-Alias gets unchecked either, but I notice it too. But if you have a path that is jaggied, do you know that you can recover the Anti-alias without having to redraw the lines? Activate the object in question and go to Selection > Modify > Recover Anti-Alias. 

Oh wow, I did not know that.  thank you, I will go back and fix it.  Speaking of fixing it, on the camera I see I went over with line, is there a way to get rid of that mistake?  Oh wait, would I just go back to the vector, in edit mode, mode the node back?  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

Oh, yes, the pick tool is a mischievous little devil. 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Daniel Hess said:

Lesson 4 "Failure".  Haven't figured out where it went wrong but the "cutout" isn't truly "cutting out" for me.  Maybe I missed one of those double node merges but I didn't see any to merge.  At any rate I should be seeing transparency in the handle after using the Preset Shape I exported and it is filling just like the main cup. 

The dog is pestering me for his walk and he won't let me concentrate on anything else until that "ritual" has been observed.  As of September last year, we had 3611 (and change) miles logged with my Garmin watch (since Nov 2016) and have done a couple or more hundred since September.  He is almost 11 and we won't have him for too much longer...he is a large doberman...getting gray and he runs out of steam early after commencing our walks these days.  Pretty much maxing out at 1.5 miles on good days.

failure01.jpg

tysonframe.jpg

Daniel what a beautiful dobie.  So sad and heartbreaking to see our pets age.  I've had my share of issue's with the cut tool.  Just yesterday I realized when you do the right click this, right click that, I was doing it on the layer in the layers palette.  that did not work.  Then when I thought I truly understood it yesterday, today was maddening (I will be posting the results) and I couldnt cut anything.  So, I feel your pain.  Very cool stats on your walking, I love that sort of stuff.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Daniel Hess said:

failure02.jpg

I"m not sure if this is anything, but when i was pasting I was trying to paste on the canvas in the hole it came out of, but when I did it again and pasted on the body of the main object (the cup) it worked.  Now, this may just be a coincidence.  Why can I do it one time, then not the next, makes me scratch my head at what step I miss. 

• Like 2

Lesson 4 

Whew, this is an emotional rollercoaster lesson.  As I told Daniel in an earlier post, I thought I was rock star, I finally got it. And today?  failure after failure (the rocket).  I could get the cut out, but could not get it to show when I filled it.  I finally got it, but I don't know why I got it or why I didn't get it, which is important to know so I don't continue that way.  I have lots of questions about the rocket I did.  About how to go about it.  The words arent in my head right now and it's lunch time...must be hungry and cant think (it cant possibly the entire week of only 3-5 hours sleep a night, naaaaa 😜)

Carole, I'll try and formulate what I want to aske about making complex stuff like rocket with overlapping lines and other issues that came up.  I'll wait until I get caught up first.  

Vector WS Lesson 4 - cup cutout-600.jpg

Vector WS Lesson 4 Rocket man-600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 7

Another question:

Sometimes the bounding box is around all the nodes and I need to go back and edit the nodes again but the box is covering the nodes and I cant get to them.  I activate another layer then go back and then the box is gone but no nodes, so I click on the edit button and bounding box comes up again preventing me from getting to the nodes.  What am I doing wrong.  When you were doing the crack paste your bounding box only came up when you did Select All but mine had the box already.  Does this make any sense.  

• Like 1