What are you working on (in May 2024)?

Cassel

You are certainly on a roll, I hope you  can keep it up.  Lots to look at, without  being distracted  from the photos. Lots of well executed details.  Did you create the arrow paper, using the arrow tutorial in lab 13-11?   

• Love 1

I'm working on the intropages for a photo album of my recent trip. I have 3 "chapters" for my album and each one has a scrapbook page introducing the topic of that part. Here is the 1st one about the road trip we took. The dimensions of the layout are specific for the kind of printed album I choose. For this page I used the cass-Photo circle template script that I bought recently and I choose squares and how many I needed. This is a great script I will write a review in the store! Then I used the cass-label1 script with different colors to write the places where we went and the photos were taken. I have a US highway sign as a template that I can adapt. I had already made a californian numberplate with the screws , so I just had to write the date on it. The tire tracks are done with cass-Tire Track 1 -brush; I used a color with a texture and later a grungy brush on them as well. The background is made of a google map with some overlays and blendmodes. The blue sky is an overlay I have in my stash and the car and road sign are by DiHiller (blogtrain june 2023) and the little wooden cabin is by Marissa Lerin. I'm happy to get slowly back into scrapping!

Photo circle- roadtrip-600.jpg

• Love 10

8 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I'm working on the intropages for a photo album of my recent trip. I have 3 "chapters" for my album and each one has a scrapbook page introducing the topic of that part. Here is the 1st one about the road trip we took. The dimensions of the layout are specific for the kind of printed album I choose. For this page I used the cass-Photo circle template script that I bought recently and I choose squares and how many I needed. This is a great script I will write a review in the store! Then I used the cass-label1 script with different colors to write the places where we went and the photos were taken. I have a US highway sign as a template that I can adapt. I had already made a californian numberplate with the screws , so I just had to write the date on it. The tire tracks are done with cass-Tire Track 1 -brush; I used a color with a texture and later a grungy brush on them as well. The background is made of a google map with some overlays and blendmodes. The blue sky is an overlay I have in my stash and the car and road sign are by DiHiller (blogtrain june 2023) and the little wooden cabin is by Marissa Lerin. I'm happy to get slowly back into scrapping!

Fabulous layout Corrie.  I love how the cass-label1 labels are matching colors to the photo.  Well done! and now I want that script too!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I have to agree  with Susan, your page  is fabulous, with lots of subtle   informative elements. Making the viewer eager  to  turn to the next  page in the album 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is my second intro and it is a much simpler layout because it is all about Yosemite national park. It has a photo with reduced opacity as a background and I used cass-Multi frames collage freebie (as many of you have done) with another photo. Made a datestamp with cass-Datestamp 9 and an engraved rock (also a cass script). The flower is extracted from a photo; it is a California Dogwood and they were in flower throughout the valley in the park. I think I will use it on some of the photos in the album as well. The font of the title is Algerian and the rest is Bahnschrift. The idea for the title comes from a poster about the park which I bought when we were in San Luis Obispo. By chance we happened to come by an art gallery where they had posters of all the national parks. The old posters were, many years ago, made by an artist who gave before his death a young artist, named Thomas, the rights to design new poster. The only condition was that he had to do them in the same style and they are now printed and available in a limited and numbered edition. I don't have the font that he used on the poster but something similar that kept the idea. My son-in-law bought another one of a different park. The gallery packed mine rolled up in a tube and it came home with me where it has been laying under some books to get it straight again. We will frame it next week.

Yosemite-1-600.jpg

• Love 9

I should be too embarrassed to say how long it takes me to do a layout I can live with. Then, I should also be ashamed to admit how many times I had to try the interlacing elements technique that Sue T. pointed me back to. I have watched that video several times over the months and still have issues with which layer is top and which is bottom and then where does the darn Promoted Selection go! I'm going to keep using that technique until I get it right and quick!

Photo of irises from Unsplash. Adjusted blur & hue. The translucent frame around the single iris is from Natali Designs at Pickleberry Pop. Other stuff is just splatters and paint. Font is FrouFrou. I found out that when you do this interlacing with a frame, you can't add a bevel. But is that just me too?

2024 May iris layout.jpg

• Love 8

12 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

I found out that when you do this interlacing with a frame, you can't add a bevel. But is that just me too?

You can, but you have to add it before you "split" it.

• Like 3

I'm on a roll! This is the last one of the intros and it is again a simple layout using a photo with a reduced opacity, except for the Mariposa Grove sign that I kept at 100%. There were information boards and I extracted them from the photos and put them here as info before the next photo pages in the album. I couldn't resist to make an admission ticket with my own script 😉.

I will make another intro but that one is with the family photos and I will not show those here because my family doesn't want me to do so. Which I of course will respect.

Sequoias-600.jpg

• Love 7

31 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

I should be too embarrassed to say how long it takes me to do a layout I can live with. Then, I should also be ashamed to admit how many times I had to try the interlacing elements technique that Sue T. pointed me back to. I have watched that video several times over the months and still have issues with which layer is top and which is bottom and then where does the darn Promoted Selection go! I'm going to keep using that technique until I get it right and quick!

Photo of irises from Unsplash. Adjusted blur & hue. The translucent frame around the single iris is from Natali Designs at Pickleberry Pop. Other stuff is just splatters and paint. Font is FrouFrou. I found out that when you do this interlacing with a frame, you can't add a bevel. But is that just me too?

2024 May iris layout.jpg

33 minutes ago, Julie Magerka said:

2024 May iris layout.jpg

As I would say to my Welsh family and firends 'you have done a tidy job'.  Check out the Masterclass Dynamic frames, the last technique  demonstrated in the  class. 

Like all techniques, and I'll use masks as an example, once you  have  done it several times, it will become second nature, and you will become  proficient in using the technique. It doesn't matter which  you use to cut and promote, sometime I will use the photo, and other times it will be the frame.  I could have  cut and promoted the letters in my layout, but I chose to  cut the squiggly line.   Use which  ever is easier for you.  I don't use the freehand or the  point to point, I always use the  rectangle tool, or at least whenever possible. As it gives a nice clean cut, the other tools I have noticed will leave a very slight gap.  Which  promoted layer goes where, in time will, make sence, and done automatically.  Always make sure that you have done your shadowing, placement of   your elements and any beveling prior to any cutting.  

I won't confuse you, but there is another way of doing it.  Duplicate the layer you are going to  cut, place the layer at the bottom. Making sure the shadow is on it's own layer.  This time use the eraser tool, remembering to also erase the shadow.  Using this technique, eliminates all of the  moving of  promoted layers, which can but in excess of 10-20 layers, depending on the layout.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, Sue Thomas said:

As I would say to my Welsh family and firends 'you have done a tidy job'.  Check out the Masterclass Dynamic frames, the last technique  demonstrated in the  class. 

Like all techniques, and I'll use masks as an example, once you  have  done it several times, it will become second nature, and you will become  proficient in using the technique. It doesn't matter which  you use to cut and promote, sometime I will use the photo, and other times it will be the frame.  I could have  cut and promoted the letters in my layout, but I chose to  cut the squiggly line.   Use which  ever is easier for you.  I don't use the freehand or the  point to point, I always use the  rectangle tool, or at least whenever possible. As it gives a nice clean cut, the other tools I have noticed will leave a very slight gap.  Which  promoted layer goes where, in time will, make sence, and done automatically.  Always make sure that you have done your shadowing, placement of   your elements and any beveling prior to any cutting.  

I won't confuse you, but there is another way of doing it.  Duplicate the layer you are going to  cut, place the layer at the bottom. Making sure the shadow is on it's own layer.  This time use the eraser tool, remembering to also erase the shadow.  Using this technique, eliminates all of the  moving of  promoted layers, which can but in excess of 10-20 layers, depending on the layout.

Oh Sue! You are my patron saint of PSP. Duplicating and using the Eraser brush (on the shadow too) sounds much less complicated. Thank you so much!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I'm on a roll! This is the last one of the intros and it is again a simple layout using a photo with a reduced opacity, except for the Mariposa Grove sign that I kept at 100%. There were information boards and I extracted them from the photos and put them here as info before the next photo pages in the album. I couldn't resist to make an admission ticket with my own script 😉.

I will make another intro but that one is with the family photos and I will not show those here because my family doesn't want me to do so. Which I of course will respect.

Sequoias-600.jpg

Love that touch with the admission ticket!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Julie Magerka said:

2024 May iris layout.jpg

Love this Julie.  Your interlacing looks great.  No one would even know; the struggle is REAL!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Sequoias-600.jpg

Beautiful Corrie.  My eyes go right away tot he Mariposa Grove sign.  Good thinking.  Congrats on that awesome ticket script!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 3:34 PM, Sue Thomas said:

You are certainly on a roll, I hope you  can keep it up.  Lots to look at, without  being distracted  from the photos. Lots of well executed details.  Did you create the arrow paper, using the arrow tutorial in lab 13-11?   

Thanks a lot, Sue. 🙂    No, I didn't. All the papers I used are from the Great Outdoor Kit by KAagard

This is one of the first kits I purchased when I started to learn about scrapbooking from Carole. Since then, I have used it quite a few times.

Edited by Cristina
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2024 at 7:53 PM, Corrie Kinkel said:

I'm happy to get slowly back into scrapping!

I have the same feeling as I have created just a few layouts over the last few years.    I don't know how long it will last, but I'm on a roll, as Sue said. 😄 

What a great start, Corrie!   Which size are you using? I am still thinking of changing the size of my layouts to make it easier to get it printed.

9 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Duplicate the layer you are going to  cut, place the layer at the bottom. Making sure the shadow is on it's own layer.  This time use the eraser tool, remembering to also erase the shadow. 

Yes, this is my go-to technique. Promoted layers are cool but can get confusing for me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

2024 May iris layout.jpg

Nothing to be embarrassed about when your results are gorgeous!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Julie Magerka said:

Oh Sue! You are my patron saint of PSP. Duplicating and using the Eraser brush (on the shadow too) sounds much less complicated. Thank you so much!

I do a lot of layer duplicating in case what I'm trying doesn't work. Then I can always go back.

• Like 4

On 5/20/2024 at 9:15 AM, Cristina said:

I have the same feeling as I have created just a few layouts over the last few years.    I don't know how long it will last, but I'm on a roll, as Sue said. 😄 

What a great start, Corrie!   Which size are you using? I am still thinking of changing the size of my layouts to make it easier to get it printed.

Thank you Cristina and I'm glad you have the same feeling as well. I am going to use the same printservice I always use and I measured another of my albums. It is 29 x 21 cm (landscape format) and I had to calculate how much that would be for a scrap layout to fill a whole page of the album. I figured it will be 5140 x 3720 pix/inch and that let me use all of my supplies, but this is only for the 4 intropages. For the rest of the album I use and adapt the printservice's templates so I have at least an idea how to fill my album with my photos and text.

• Love 1

I was struggling to make an intropage for the photos I took from the daily life and things I did at home. After some thought I concluded that there was one item that covers it all: the place where they live! So I used the cass-photocircle template script again, this time with hearts and photos I took in Los Altos plus the seal of the city (thanks to google). The family photos will come on the next photo pages in the album. I wrote a short story about the place, of course in Dutch, but roughly translated it says: "Los Altos is a nice city in Santa Clara County in Silicon Valley and ca 40 mile from San Francisco. Downtown, the compact older part of the city has a lot of nice shops and restaurants to eat outside. Many of the streets have big trees that provide shadow". The background is a photo with reduced opacity of the frontyard of their house. 

Los Altos=2-600.jpg

• WOW 1
  • Love 8

Posted (edited)

Back to the Labs for me. This is Lab 12 Mod 4. Requirements: ledger paper 2 (my background - I made several different colors and kept the pattern); rolled tape (not my favorite) and I tried folding it - without the tutorial but had followed several tutorials that folded ribbons etc; added sparkled butterflies (using Cass sparkle script). I use the pictures I took in the Botanic Gardens in 2022 a lot!. The blue patterned paper: I used the bird pattern (on the tape) and kaleidescoped and patterned it several times and liked this version the best. The other requirement was to make a folded paper streamer/banner.  I chose to use butterflies and not the boy and girl.  It was really interesting making the shadow on the fold/crease in the center of each butterfly. The mask I used was given to us in the Mask Workshop.

Lab 12 Mod 4_600.jpg

Edited by Mary Solaas
  • Love 8

On 5/21/2024 at 7:06 PM, Corrie Kinkel said:

Thank you Cristina and I'm glad you have the same feeling as well. I am going to use the same printservice I always use and I measured another of my albums. It is 29 x 21 cm (landscape format) and I had to calculate how much that would be for a scrap layout to fill a whole page of the album. I figured it will be 5140 x 3720 pix/inch and that let me use all of my supplies, but this is only for the 4 intropages. For the rest of the album I use and adapt the printservice's templates so I have at least an idea how to fill my album with my photos and text.

Thank you for your answer, Corrie🙂 

I don't print photo albums, just the loose pages, and this is exactly the size of the new layout I've started, which corresponds roughly to the A4 size (21x29,7 cm) or 8.5 x 11 in.

I am still not sure which size to choose: 8x8 OR  8.5x11 (11x8.5), but I will not use 12x12 anymore... I will finish the 12x12 layouts (MANY) I've started, but I will try 11x8.5 for the next new pages.

On 5/21/2024 at 10:41 PM, Corrie Kinkel said:

I was struggling to make an intropage for the photos I took from the daily life and things I did at home. After some thought I concluded that there was one item that covers it all: the place where they live! So I used the cass-photocircle template script again, this time with hearts and photos I took in Los Altos plus the seal of the city (thanks to google). The family photos will come on the next photo pages in the album. I wrote a short story about the place, of course in Dutch, but roughly translated it says: "Los Altos is a nice city in Santa Clara County in Silicon Valley and ca 40 mile from San Francisco. Downtown, the compact older part of the city has a lot of nice shops and restaurants to eat outside. Many of the streets have big trees that provide shadow". The background is a photo with reduced opacity of the frontyard of their house. 

Los Altos=2-600.jpg

Beautiful layout, Corrie,  and cass-photo circle script with heart-shaped was a great choice.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mary Solaas said:

Back to the Labs for me. This is Lab 12 Mod 4. Requirements: ledger paper 2 (my background - I made several different colors and kept the pattern); rolled tape (not my favorite) and I tried folding it - without the tutorial but had followed several tutorials that folded ribbons etc; added sparkled butterflies (using Cass sparkle script). I use the pictures I took in the Botanic Gardens in 2022 a lot!. The blue patterned paper: I used the bird pattern (on the tape) and kaleidescoped and patterned it several times and liked this version the best. The other requirement was to make a folded paper streamer/banner.  I chose to use butterflies and not the boy and girl.  It was really interesting making the shadow on the fold/crease in the center of each butterfly. The mask I used was given to us in the Mask Workshop.

Lab 12 Mod 4_600.jpg

It's good to see you have your mojo back, Mary. 🙂    I like the blue-patterned paper with the kaleidoscope effect very much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1