What are you working on (in May 2024)?

Cassel

8 hours ago, Rene Marker said:

Several of my neighbors got photos last night in west central Ohio of them. All I saw with the naked eye was a slight pink glow. They were saying that we could see them again tonight and I've been out every 30 to 40 minutes taking photos but no luck.  Even a friend in Dayton, Ohio (an hour south of me) got photos last night.

Smoke from northern Alberta and BC rolled in yesterday morning so nothing for us to see.  I missed the friday night show, bummer.  I remember watching them when I lived in Alberta when i was a teenager.  Now the city lights are too bright to see them regularly.

• WOW 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

This is incredibly beautiful Julie.  It's is papers/elements blended.  It's so ethereal.  I looked up "ethereal" to make sure I'd used the word right.  And meaning of the word is perfect for this layout. 

e·the·re·al
/iˈTHirēəl/
adjective
  1. 1.
    extremely delicate and light in a way that seems too perfect for this world.

I have to agree with you. Julie's work is quintessence of her style.  I have described her work as ethereal on more than  one occasion.  Now then do you know  how to correctly pronounce ethereal?  I ask, as when I was a child in school, the english teacher asked who can pronounce it correctly.  I stuck up my hand, of course I was completely wrong.  How some things stick your head for ever.  This is the correct pronounciation,    e th ee r ee ul. 

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

Well said, that's an incredible quote.

Thank you,   those are my own words. She  provides the stage,  the subjects to photograph in all their colours, textures and shapes. From the tiniest of insects to the largest of  mammals,  flora and fauna.  I get a glimpse into her introcate  ecosystems.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

Playing with Corel's freebies for Mother's Day I came up with this after a bit of manipulation, size-wise. The photo is from One Planet. 

MOTHER AND BABY BLUE WHALES-MOTHERS DAY_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
forgot to do shadows
  • Love 8

Papers and elements from Chantalia Designs (always free). Font is Octagon Calligraphy from Creative Fabrica. Parts of the text are so thin that they almost disappear when the page is sized down to 600.

large.MothersDay2024600.jpg.4023fd0cb5287edf4f36fa4abae278d9.jpg

• Love 8

Posted (edited)

As a followup to the layout on Wonderful Wisteria I did, I just HAD to post this image of the largest vine in the world. People are allowed in to see it one day a year! Just amazing! This ONE plant covers an acre of land.

No layout, just the image FYI. (Photo by Patrick Pelletier in 2016) There is a video on YouTube that showcases this spectacular plant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxJcb_-f45E

Sierra_Madre_Wistaria_Festival_600.jpg

Edited by Julie Magerka
  • Like 1
  • WOW 4
  • Love 3

I might not be scrapping often, but this time, this particular photo deserved a layout.

spacer.png

What is the most surprising is that to the naked eye, we can barely see the colors, yet, a good camera captures something fantastic.

• WOW 3
  • Love 7

31 minutes ago, Michele said:

Papers and elements from Chantalia Designs (always free). Font is Octagon Calligraphy from Creative Fabrica. Parts of the text are so thin that they almost disappear when the page is sized down to 600.

large.MothersDay2024600.jpg.4023fd0cb5287edf4f36fa4abae278d9.jpg

That font really works here. I looked it up and places are charging for it. If you got it free from CF, that was a good score.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cassel said:

I might not be scrapping often, but this time, this particular photo deserved a layout.

spacer.png

What is the most surprising is that to the naked eye, we can barely see the colors, yet, a good camera captures something fantastic.

I heard several folks say the same thing about cameras capturing the colours more vibrantly. The colours here are more as I remember the northern lights in backwoods Northern Ontario many moons ago.

2 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

I have to agree with you. Julie's work is quintessence of her style.  I have described her work as ethereal on more than  one occasion.  Now then do you know  how to correctly pronounce ethereal?  I ask, as when I was a child in school, the english teacher asked who can pronounce it correctly.  I stuck up my hand, of course I was completely wrong.  How some things stick your head for ever.  This is the correct pronounciation,    e th ee r ee ul. 

Rhymes with cereal...almost.

• Haha 3
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, Cassel said:

spacer.png

You, know, I find it interesting that the naked eye can't see it as clearly! But that is what everyone is saying that has posted pictures.  This looks more like the Northern Lights as I saw it in Upper Michigan when I was a teenager.

16 minutes ago, Mary Solaas said:

You, know, I find it interesting that the naked eye can't see it as clearly! But that is what everyone is saying that has posted pictures.  This looks more like the Northern Lights as I saw it in Upper Michigan when I was a teenager.

I was glad someone had a reasonable camera to show those colors as mine gave me NOTHING!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cassel said:

I was glad someone had a reasonable camera to show those colors as mine gave me NOTHING!

I had to use different settings than my normal to get anything. Manual mode, ISO of 1600, F stop 5 or lower, and a longer shutter speed. All articles I saw on it, said to use a shutter speed of 15 seconds with a tri-pod so there is no movement of the camera. I didn't get my tri-pod out so used a shutter speed of 1 second and stood with my arm and back braced against the door jamb/frame. Even though I didn't get any northern lights, I got night photos like I've never gotten before! I tried both my Canon T5 and my Canon SX740 since they both have manual mode. Even my Canon SX 540 has manual mode.

Every one was saying to use a cell phone but I knew that wouldn't work for me since my hand shakes when I try to take photos on it. I also have no idea how to make any adjustments to settings on it since I don't use it for photos very often! The cameras were easier for me and I'll always prefer to use a camera.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

53 minutes ago, Rene Marker said:

I had to use different settings than my normal to get anything. Manual mode, ISO of 1600, F stop 5 or lower, and a longer shutter speed. All articles I saw on it, said to use a shutter speed of 15 seconds with a tri-pod so there is no movement of the camera. I didn't get my tri-pod out so used a shutter speed of 1 second and stood with my arm and back braced against the door jamb/frame. Even though I didn't get any northern lights, I got night photos like I've never gotten before! I tried both my Canon T5 and my Canon SX740 since they both have manual mode. Even my Canon SX 540 has manual mode.

My phone seems to only go as high as 800 ISO, which might not have been enough. I am not sure it has any control for speed. I might have to check. It is an old phone, from 2017 so it might not have been available then. Or, if i can dig up an old digital camera??? There should be more northern lights tonight!

6 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

That's me....I have been corrected more than once on this one, so now (jokingly) I will say it as 'Either-rea'l or I could start saying it as 'Ether - reel'.  hahahaha, the English language is silly isnt it?  I hosted a garage sale for my friends (who live in a condo) who are moving to Scotland and my dear friend has an English degree and had to put all the books oriented in a way that was easier for the buyers to read the titles.  I totally supported it and get that.  When you know about something, you want it to be right...right?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I finally got some PSP time in.  Busy week and finally some down time.  And just in time for the Q&A.  I was driving home from grocery shopping this morning and a local Lube shop always has a funny quote on their sign and this was the one I saw today.  I had to keep repeating it over and over because I couldn't pull over on that road to write it down... and my pen was in my shopping bags way in the back. 

4 fonts used:

Mandala Vintage (for the womb and board)

Mansdefia (Mom)

Magestica (Thanks)

Marcgravia (Happy Mother's Day 2024)

Papers are by Gina Jones (Digital Scrapbook) Kumbaya papers

See you at the Q&A!  All the cool kids go there....I hear.

Thanks Mom 2024-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 7

8 hours ago, Anne Lamp said:

I also have a membership but opened the sight in a private window so I was not signed in and looked for this.  It came up for $1.20 just now.  https://www.creativefabrica.com/product/octagon-calligraphy/

That's what I paid for it, but Can $ was just under $2. I hardly ever pay for fonts, but I really liked the glyphs with this one and bought it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

I finally got some PSP time in.  Busy week and finally some down time.  And just in time for the Q&A.  I was driving home from grocery shopping this morning and a local Lube shop always has a funny quote on their sign and this was the one I saw today.  I had to keep repeating it over and over because I couldn't pull over on that road to write it down... and my pen was in my shopping bags way in the back. 

4 fonts used:

Mandala Vintage (for the womb and board)

Mansdefia (Mom)

Magestica (Thanks)

Marcgravia (Happy Mother's Day 2024)

Papers are by Gina Jones (Digital Scrapbook) Kumbaya papers

See you at the Q&A!  All the cool kids go there....I hear.

Thanks Mom 2024-600.jpg

Love the quote! and the colours.

5 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

That's me....I have been corrected more than once on this one, so now (jokingly) I will say it as 'Either-rea'l or I could start saying it as 'Ether - reel'.  hahahaha, the English language is silly isnt it?  I hosted a garage sale for my friends (who live in a condo) who are moving to Scotland and my dear friend has an English degree and had to put all the books oriented in a way that was easier for the buyers to read the titles.  I totally supported it and get that.  When you know about something, you want it to be right...right?  

I think I'd love to move to Scotland too.

• Like 1