April 2024 - P52 Challenge

Cassel

7 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I'm a bit early too but the "highlight" of my week was my birthday. I have no photos of the occasion that I can use here. Just some of family and friends that I will have to blur and I don't like that at all. It are all people that matter to me but for here not very interesting. So I made myself a birthday cake with sprinkles on top (tubes made by me and Carole). The 75 is cream piping, freebie by Carole; just as the doily and greenery with extra roses. The candles are from Marissa Lerin and the rest comes from my stock.

The rest of the weeks in April and the first week in May will come as I'm back from California after I have recovered from the jetlag; I don't take my laptop with me. I will leave here coming Tuesday, so bye for now and see you in May. I will check in on the Campus when I have some moments when everybody is at work/school and it is just me and the dogs. In the weekends we will take trips.

WEEK-15-600.jpg

Happy Birthday Corrie!  I hope your day was fabulous!  have a wonderful time in the US, looking forward to your return.  And all the layouts that will come with it.  Cheers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Susan Ewart said:

Awesome!  I was contemplating the bird baths too.  I have a plastic one out, because it's freezing up at night still.  My other ones are cement and one is ceramic, so not good in freezing weather.  The bees are in the ground, right?  I am going to google for my area to find out when they will emerge so i can put a "no-yard work" rule on the backyard ("rules" is an inside joke with hubby...I'm always making up rules for him and he wonders why he has 483 rules, while I have none).  I will check out my bird book to learn the difference in the male and female.  I wish I knew what this Merlin is calling about.  If it's for a mate, or call it's mate or did it lose it's mate.  Mine has pigeons it's can go for, really fat overweight pigeons!  I wasnt thrilled they claimed the yard, I'm feeding top notch food ......to pigeons!  And they are getting very fat.  

Bumble bees are active in all weather, the queens are the first to emerge in early Spring, and the last in Autumn.  Many bees are temperature  sensitive for emerging.  I've already see some bumbles, but I have a feeling that  it is because it's  unusually warm.  I don't have as much as a dandelion yet.  The Prairie crocus will be the first to bloom, any day now.   For the bumbles I use tiny bottle caps, with a small amount of diluted honey. The mourning cloak, Compton tortoiseshell and Red Admirals are out and about, for now they  feed on the sap of trees.  I spread over ripe bananas on the tree tunks for them, or halve an orange or two.  I had to put out another bird bath today, as the  Robins are enjoying having a  bath.  I empty them at dusk, as it still freezes at night. 

The norm is, but doesn't always apply to all species, the males are far more colourful.  The Male Merlin is much darker than the female. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

I'm a bit early too but the "highlight" of my week was my birthday. I have no photos of the occasion that I can use here. Just some of family and friends that I will have to blur and I don't like that at all. It are all people that matter to me but for here not very interesting. So I made myself a birthday cake with sprinkles on top (tubes made by me and Carole). The 75 is cream piping, freebie by Carole; just as the doily and greenery with extra roses. The candles are from Marissa Lerin and the rest comes from my stock.

The rest of the weeks in April and the first week in May will come as I'm back from California after I have recovered from the jetlag; I don't take my laptop with me. I will leave here coming Tuesday, so bye for now and see you in May. I will check in on the Campus when I have some moments when everybody is at work/school and it is just me and the dogs. In the weekends we will take trips.

WEEK-15-600.jpg

You have  created yourself an absolutely superb card.  Happy Birthday young lady!!!!  Enjoy the journey, and savour every moment spent with  your family. Creating memories that will last a lifetime. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

WEEK-15-600.jpg

Belated Happy Birthday, Corrie! 💟

Enjoy the time with your family!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Ich bin auch ein bisschen früh, aber das "Highlight" meiner Woche war mein Geburtstag. Ich habe keine Fotos von dem Anlass, den ich hier nutzen kann. Nur einige von Familie und Freunden, die ich verschwimmen muss, und das gefällt mir überhaupt nicht. Es sind alles Menschen, die mir wichtig sind, aber hier nicht sehr interessant. Also habe ich mir einen Geburtstagskuchen mit Streuseln auf der Oberseite (Rohre von mir und Carole) gemacht. Die 75 ist Sahnerohr, Freebie von Carole; genau wie das Doly und Grün mit zusätzlichen Rosen. Die Kerzen sind von Marissa Lerin und der Rest kommt von meinem Vorrat.

Der Rest der Wochen im April und die erste Maiwoche wird kommen, da ich aus Kalifornien zurück bin, nachdem ich mich vom Jetlag erholt habe; ich nehme meinen Laptop nicht mit. Ich werde hier am kommenden Dienstag gehen, also sen für jetzt und sehen Sie im Mai. Ich werde auf dem Campus einchecken, wenn ich einige Momente habe, in denen alle bei der Arbeit / der Schule sind und es nur ich und die Hunde sind. An den Wochenenden machen wir Ausflüge.

WEEK-15-600.jpg

Happy 75th birthday, dear Corrie🌷🐞, and I wish you a safe trip✈️, lots of fun 🤩and a healthy return🙌.

• Thanks 1

Ladies thank you all so much for the good wishes for my birthday and upcoming travel. I hope to bring back lots of photos for use in future projects. It is unfortunate that there is no one from the Campus anyway near where I'm going, I would have loved meeting someone in person.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

47 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Ladies thank you all so much for the good wishes for my birthday and upcoming travel. I hope to bring back lots of photos for use in future projects. It is unfortunate that there is no one from the Campus anyway near where I'm going, I would have loved meeting someone in person.

A belated birthday wish for you, Corrie. Wishing you a year filled with all that you hold dear.

During one of your visits, I'll head that way so we can meet and break bread together. Travel safely and have the best visit ever!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

Bumble bees are active in all weather, the queens are the first to emerge in early Spring, and the last in Autumn.  Many bees are temperature  sensitive for emerging.  I've already see some bumbles, but I have a feeling that  it is because it's  unusually warm.  I don't have as much as a dandelion yet.  The Prairie crocus will be the first to bloom, any day now.   For the bumbles I use tiny bottle caps, with a small amount of diluted honey. The mourning cloak, Compton tortoiseshell and Red Admirals are out and about, for now they  feed on the sap of trees.  I spread over ripe bananas on the tree tunks for them, or halve an orange or two.  I had to put out another bird bath today, as the  Robins are enjoying having a  bath.  I empty them at dusk, as it still freezes at night. 

The norm is, but doesn't always apply to all species, the males are far more colourful.  The Male Merlin is much darker than the female. 

Thank you for this.  an my Nature Alberta magazine arrived and there is an article about native AB bees.  Looking forward to some down time to read it.  I will try your bottle cap/honey solution too.  The grass is just starting so show signs of green.  we are expecting snow next week.  I will dig out my stump...I ran out of time and didnt get the holes drilled.  That's on the to-do list for this weekend.  Looking forward seeing my bee action in the yard....they might be the only flying creature I get since the Merlin moved in.  I cant see the Merlin, just hear it.  What a tease.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Michele said:

Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday, @Corrie Kinkel, and your card is wonderful. Have a safe and enjoyable trip. Too bad you'll be on the west coast and I'm on the east coast. 

You could meet in the middle...maybe see Mary too, when she's on her RV travelling adventures.

• Love 2

22 hours ago, Bonnie Ballentine said:

A belated birthday wish for you, Corrie. Wishing you a year filled with all that you hold dear.

During one of your visits, I'll head that way so we can meet and break bread together. Travel safely and have the best visit ever!

Thank you Bonnie and may a meeting be possible in the future. I would be over the moon if that came to be......

• Like 3

Week 15 At last I managed to get a half way decent photo of a goldfinch – two of them waiting for me to stop peering at them so that they can get on with eating the Niger seeds.

week 15 600.jpg

• WOW 1
  • Love 8

2 hours ago, Sharla said:

Week 15 At last I managed to get a half way decent photo of a goldfinch – two of them waiting for me to stop peering at them so that they can get on with eating the Niger seeds.

week 15 600.jpg

Wow!  they are gorgeous!  

• Like 3

Week 15 - Ran across this photograph of a hunting Osprey on Bored Panda. The photographer is Chen Chengguang from Vietnam. He specializes in artistic shots of birds. The Osprey, like the Bald Eagle, hunts fish.

P52-WEEK FIFTEEN-OSPREY-04-14_600.jpg

Edited by Ann Seeber
replace lost text
  • Like 1
  • WOW 2
  • Love 4

27 minutes ago, Ann Seeber said:

Week 15 - Ran across this photograph of a hunting Osprey on Bored Panda. The photographer is Chen Chengguang from Vietnam. He specializes in artistic shots of birds. The Osprey, like the Bald Eagle, hunts fish.

P52-WEEK FIFTEEN-OSPREY-04-14_600.jpg

WOW! Love this Ann.

• Thanks 1

They were forecasting snow for today, so yesterday I decided to take a drive to the areas where I knew I'd be guaranteed to see  Native Crocus.  As for today, it is snowing with 70km winds,  which has also blown in   a large flock of  migratory Robins, up to a hundred  I'd say.   Large Flocks of Robins always turn up  on snowy days at this time of year.  Some will stay, but the majority are only passing through. Thank goodness, as I wouldn't be able to afford to feed them all throughout the  summer. 😉

Pulsatilla nuttalliana, known as prairie pasqueflower or prairie crocus.  The first of the native flowers to bloom.

Week sixteenn April.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 1
  • WOW 1
  • Love 6

1 hour ago, Sue Thomas said:

They were forecasting snow for today, so yesterday I decided to take a drive to the areas where I knew I'd be guaranteed to see  Native Crocus.  As for today, it is snowing with 70km winds,  which has also blown in   a large flock of  migratory Robins, up to a hundred  I'd say.   Large Flocks of Robins always turn up  on snowy days at this time of year.  Some will stay, but the majority are only passing through. Thank goodness, as I wouldn't be able to afford to feed them all throughout the  summer. 😉

Pulsatilla nuttalliana, known as prairie pasqueflower or prairie crocus.  The first of the native flowers to bloom.

Week sixteenn April.jpg

That's so beautiful.  I'd love to see flocks of robins.  I'm happy when I see just ONE!  We had snow too, and it was quite windy and blowing...when I woke up I thought it was November again.  My crow fam has finally returned.  You know how the female crow does the begging behavior when they are getting nest/eggtime ready(to remind the mate to bring her food when she's on nest duty).  Well, I think my crow fam does that to me.  The scenario as follows:  land on wire, caw till silly human slave hears (they are practically deaf!), silly human (me) runs for the peanuts and bark butter bits and heads outside to spread the joy.  

Edited by Susan Ewart
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Susan Ewart said:

That's so beautiful.  I'd love to see flocks of robins.  I'm happy when I see just ONE!  We had snow too, and it was quite windy and blowing...when I woke up I thought it was November again.  My crow fam has finally returned.  You know how the female crow does the begging behavior when they are getting nest/eggtime ready(to remind the mate to bring her food when she's on nest duty).  Well, I think my crow fam does that to me.  The scenario as follows:  land on wire, caw till silly human slave hears (they are practically deaf!), silly human (me) runs for the peanuts and bark butter bits and heads outside to spread the joy.  

What a difference in two days, yesterday I was in jeans and T shirt.  I did cover up to lay on the ground taking photos of the  crocus.  I still  came back with 2 ticks on me.  Today -1c   I bet the horses are cursing me for  brushing  out their winter coats.  Crows are very inteligent, and will soon have you very well trained. 

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

What a difference in two days, yesterday I was in jeans and T shirt.  I did cover up to lay on the ground taking photos of the  crocus.  I still  came back with 2 ticks on me.  Today -1c   I bet the horses are cursing me for  brushing  out their winter coats.  Crows are very inteligent, and will soon have you very well trained. 

Hahaha, crows are much smarter than me!  Even the cats rule over me.  Our snow melted in a day with highs in the mid teens.  Today at 7am it was -10 c But the sun is up so it should hit mid-high teens today I hope.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Susan Ewart said:

Hahaha, crows are much smarter than me!  Even the cats rule over me.  Our snow melted in a day with highs in the mid teens.  Today at 7am it was -10 c But the sun is up so it should hit mid-high teens today I hope.

Not here,  temp dropped last night to-13c.  Still high winds with blowing snow.  I've not long come in from taking pics of a lo several  Robinsl cwtched  up under the lilac hedge.

• Like 1

My weeks for this challenge starts on a Saturday, even though Week seventeen is  early, I wanted to showcase this photo which I took yesterday, as the temps are starting to rise.  Yesterday was 18c, today  is 22c.  The remaining ice on the Lake won't be there for much longer, even though it is' doing its best to  linger for as long as possible.  I went to Danielson Park yesterday for a hike, on my way back, whilst crossing the dam, I  stopped to take this photo. 

Week seventeen April.jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

Ah, well, my next one is ready, also. I couldn't resist the blossoms in my front yard. My iPhone XS photo. There's a freeze predicted for Thursday. But, then again, our safe planting date is always the end of May so freezes are not unexpected. 😞 

P52-WEEK SEVENTEEN-MY CHERRY BLOSSOMS.jpg

• WOW 1
  • Love 5