Scrapbook Bootcamp - March 2024

Cassel

16 hours ago, Linda J Walker said:

Hey y'all, I'm here too....I'm just slow.

I have done Bootcamp a couple of times. It is always a good 'refresh' for me.

I will be using 2019. I like a medium gray workspace, and dark gray background.

I don't know what photos I will be using. I had some major surgery Feb 22. When I signed up for Bootcamp, I knew it would be during 'recovery time' for me, but I didn't realize how slow recovery would really be, and how limited I would be physically. I am seeing signs of spring out my window, so I may look for photos of spring to use.

Hope you will be feeling better soon!

On 3/14/2024 at 5:00 AM, Cassel said:

@Jen Brown Now that you know more about PSP, you can definitely make your own supplies if what you find does not suit you. May I suggest that you use a simpler font on a patterned paper? It would just make it easier to read. OR you can move it to a lighter area with less contrast. However, I only rely on the resized version of your page, so maybe on a full-size version, it is easy to read.

@Cassel  I have checked the original page at 100% on the PSP screen and it seems like it is possible to read the font that I chose, however, I agree with you, the font was not the best choice for the patterned paper that I used. If I wanted to use the scrapbook page I would definitely change that font.

Edited by Jen Brown
  • Like 1

@Cassel: THANK YOU. Yes, PSP has great functions in terms of shadows and sharpening. I love the way it works. Here is my eyecandy (over)share💕. We go way back, EC and myself... It started with a multi-media ANZAC Day project in 8th grade I think. I was looking for a way to display layers in a realistic manner... WWI related Australian items. It turned out that PS only had 3 parameters to control shadows with, there wasn't any way to control blurring or density for example. I had been using shadow layers, to make up for that shortcoming of the layer styles in PS, for a while and then I ran into eye candy. So much fun.  It became a sort of dessert to the entire process. After finishing the layout, I run eye candy for a bit of an extra treat. I use 3 and 4. 

Edited by bina greene

Great new projects!

@bina greeneAlthough you might be more comfortable with EC for the shadows, may I suggest that you try them with PSP. Even if you still want to use EC afterward, at least you will know where it is in PSP and how to use it.

@Jamie Carey That is interesting. I think you are the first participant to ever make it a table for two! And I guess the two sandwiches are different from the look of them.

@Bill Pearson Since you have added a shadow to the country outline, you might want to add a similar shadow to the elephants. That would make them look like paper/stickers added to your page.

@Jeni Simpson I see that you used a ready-made template instead of using the lesson. Would you be able to showcase the same photo using the lesson? That would allow you to practice the shadows with different layers of paper. The template is not the best base for shadows because there is already one on the photo. But use the same photo! It is a cute one! On the "Mother" layout, is it possible that the vertical strip is missing its shadow? The other papers have the correct and visible shadows.

@Ann Seeber Yes, now that flower has dimension.

@MoniqueN. Strangely, the bottom shadow on the photo does not show. Does it show on the full-size page?

@Jen Brown Did you check your spam? At least, on Day 4, there is no tutorial, but if you still don't have it, I can send you my copy.

@Bonnie BallentineHow far away were you to take that picture?

It is strange because there IS a Day 4 email. It starts with "Let's just take a little breather now." Who else got it/didn't get it?

Day 5 project 2. Puppies again, this time the pups having just emerged safely into their new world, Mum settles with her fur babies for a well deserved rest. I again used one of my favorite sites  Nit Wits for papers and the paw print 

DAY 5 PROJECT 2 PUPS 600 JPEG.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 8

9 minutes ago, Cassel said:

Great new projects!

@bina greeneAlthough you might be more comfortable with EC for the shadows, may I suggest that you try them with PSP. Even if you still want to use EC afterward, at least you will know where it is in PSP and how to use it.

@Jamie Carey That is interesting. I think you are the first participant to ever make it a table for two! And I guess the two sandwiches are different from the look of them.

@Bill Pearson Since you have added a shadow to the country outline, you might want to add a similar shadow to the elephants. That would make them look like paper/stickers added to your page.

@Jeni Simpson I see that you used a ready-made template instead of using the lesson. Would you be able to showcase the same photo using the lesson? That would allow you to practice the shadows with different layers of paper. The template is not the best base for shadows because there is already one on the photo. But use the same photo! It is a cute one! On the "Mother" layout, is it possible that the vertical strip is missing its shadow? The other papers have the correct and visible shadows.

@MoniqueN. Strangely, the bottom shadow on the photo does not show. Does it show on the full-size page?

@Jen Brown Did you check your spam? At least, on Day 4, there is no tutorial, but if you still don't have it, I can send you my copy.

It is strange because there IS a Day 4 email. It starts with "Let's just take a little breather now." Who else got it/didn't get it?

@cassel I recieved the Day 4 email on 14th March at 11.08 UK time .Thank you 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cassel said:

Great new projects!

I'm guessing...about 30 t0 40 feet away. I was using a 200MM lens. I came upon deer again today and they were much more cautious. I was wearing a red jacket. Yesterday I was wearing a medium blue shirt.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cassel said:

Great new projects!

I apologise, I didn't realise the challenge wasn't part of BootCamp. Receiving the two in the same email confused me. This is all new to me.

I have fixed the shadow that was missing on one of my images for Day 5.

Jeni

WedderburnPigs_jeni_day5_600.jpg.b84f220c4afcdea148d4ee3f1b01ab8e.jpg

• Love 7

Another image is complete for Day 5, I hope.

I was at a park a few years ago and was smelling this beautiful rose, Hot Chocolate. 

As I moved away, I glanced down, and there, where the branches joined, was a nest of about 4 tiny birds.

The gardens were full of people, all stopping to smell the roses, just as I had, and no one noticed the treasures in the nest.

Jeni

roses_jeni_day5_600.jpg.fabd9dc97510dd30663815e63efe1312.jpg

Edited by Jeni Simpson
  • Like 1
  • Love 10

Just getting started on the exercises as the weekdays are tough.  I'm looking forward to learning more about PSP.  I've used it for years to make minor edits but have always felt a little intimidated by layers.

• Like 1

I needed a profile pic and finally found something I could use. Photos of me are rare. I decided to play some and did this. I used PSP with sprockets from marisa-lerin_134588_handy-people-gear, Harley from Harley and me from parents. 

large.HDHeritageClassic600.jpg.208214e940eb4cc5755911bceb06b266.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 8

11 hours ago, Jeni Simpson said:

Another image is complete for Day 5, I hope.

I was at a park a few years ago and was smelling this beautiful rose, Hot Chocolate. 

As I moved away, I glanced down, and there, where the branches joined, was a nest of about 4 tiny birds.

The gardens were full of people, all stopping to smell the roses, just as I had, and no one noticed the treasures in the nest.

Jeni

roses_jeni_day5_600.jpg.fabd9dc97510dd30663815e63efe1312.jpg

Must be a hummingbird. Their nests are about the size of a walnut.

DAY 7 - My fantasy Viking River Cruise. 😉 (For the new members; I"ve done this before with a fantasy trip to Gabarone, Botswana, Africa.) I mostly used the kit Carole offered, True Heart. The gold leaf is from Nellie Bell. The title font is Belisha and the journaling font is Franklin Gothic Medium. This color scheme is a bit of a departure for me as I usually use bright, primary colors or deep tones. 

VIKING RIVERSHIP CRUISE_600.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 8

5 hours ago, Rodney Boyd said:

I needed a profile pic and finally found something I could use. Photos of me are rare. I decided to play some and did this. I used PSP with sprockets from marisa-lerin_134588_handy-people-gear, Harley from Harley and me from parents. 

large.HDHeritageClassic600.jpg.208214e940eb4cc5755911bceb06b266.jpg

Oh Rodney, that makes my heart beat faster! I was an HD rider for many years and just love this!

• Like 2
  • Love 1