Alphabet Game - CHRISTMAS

Cassel

3 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

S = Stocking - we hang empty stockings for Santa or his helpers to fill on Christmas Eve. And if you find one filled with coal instead of gifts you know that person has been deemed "naughty."

17778-40018-160824175114.jpg

When I was young, my stocking always had a piece of coal at the bottom of it! My father had a ready supply of it in his shop. He was a blacksmith/welder who used a forge fuelled by coal. It's such a precious memory.

• Love 1

U = Unwrapping presents   Years ago we opened presents on  Christmas Eve at my Grandparents house where the whole family gathered.  One tradition was to make a pile of all the wrapping paper and get a picture of the youngest baby or  child in the middle of the pile.

Z = Zamboni While not directly related to Christmas, is often seen during the season at ice skating rinks, smoothing the ice for skaters.

Image enclosed;  The fourth Zamboni ever built — they simply called it "No. 4" — sits enshrined in the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame in Eveleth, Minnesota, along with its creator and inventor, Frank Zamboni. It stands, fully restored, as a symbol of the integral part this ice-resurfacing machine has played in professional hockey, as well as ice-skating shows and in ice rinks around the country.

Zamboni.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dorothy Donn said:

Z = Zamboni While not directly related to Christmas, is often seen during the season at ice skating rinks, smoothing the ice for skaters.

Image enclosed;  The fourth Zamboni ever built — they simply called it "No. 4" — sits enshrined in the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame in Eveleth, Minnesota, along with its creator and inventor, Frank Zamboni. It stands, fully restored, as a symbol of the integral part this ice-resurfacing machine has played in professional hockey, as well as ice-skating shows and in ice rinks around the country.

Zamboni.jpg

Not only in the States, here in the Netherlands those machines are used too. We are a nation of speedskating not so much on icehockey and we have and are hosting a lot world speedskating events.

On 12/9/2023 at 9:32 AM, Michele said:

I never have, but during the holidays as a kid, I remember street vendors in NYC doing it. I imagine some still do.

Any time I've visited the Big Apple in the colder weatheer, I've always bought a bag of fresh-roasted chestnuts. But it's been quite a while since the last time.

• Love 1