November WORD Challenge (2023)

Cassel

WordChallenge.jpg

Here is the next Word challenge for you.

In November the word will be COLD. Whether you have an actual winter season or not (depending on where you live) this time of year might be when the weather gets a little colder (of course, if you are in the southern hemisphere, you are 6 months ahead of the cold!). What can you showcase using the word COLD?

Are you up to the challenge?

Post your project in the gallery.

I have to admit, it isn't difficult to create a page containing the word COLD.  Here on the Prairies the winters are brutal.  There isn't a happy medium between Summer and Winter.  It's either plus 35c or  minus 35c.  The Main top photo was taken on the 18th January of this year.  The wind chill was -50c, with wind blowing at 75km.  I was  going shopping when I took the shot of the blowing snow.   The other photos were taken  in  Jan and Feb of 2021. 

Embossed metallic element. For the round tag, I used one of Carole's special fonts for the outer decoration, wove the gold under and over for a different effect. Word art sticker I created for  a previous page.  Used Carole's free stacked wooden  alfa again. 

Winter Solstice COLD challenge (1).jpg

Edited by Sue Thomas
  • Love 5

4 minutes ago, Cristina said:

Sue, the coldest I experimented with was minus 20°C  without wind ... This was a long time ago, as winters are not what they used to be.

But the wind chill of -50c... OMG 😲 

The wind here is a force to be reckoned with, at any time of year. There isn't anything natural  to curb it.  The cold itself is tolerable, with adequate clothing. 

Cold Text.jpg

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Sue Thomas said:

I have to admit, it isn't difficult to create a page containing the word COLD.  Here on the Prairies the winters are brutal.  There isn't a happy medium between Summer and Winter.  It's either plus 35c or  minus 35c.  The Main top photo was taken on the 18th January of this year.  The wind chill was -50c, with wind blowing at 75km.  I was  going shopping when I took the shot of the blowing snow.   The other photos were taken  in  Jan and Feb of 2021. 

Embossed metallic element. For the round tag, I used one of Carole's special fonts for the outer decoration, wove the gold under and over for a different effect. Word art sticker I created for  a previous page.  Used Carole's free stacked wooden  alfa again. 

Winter Solstice COLD challenge (1).jpg

Already many, many years ago when I was in the Swiss Alps, it was - 20c but when we were at or near the summit of a mountain (by cable car) there was a very strong wind blowing too. There were warnings in place that the wind chill would be -40c and everyone was advised to take shelter in the restaurant and not linger outside! It was a clear day and the views were amazing, but at that point I hadn't a camera with me.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Already many, many years ago when I was in the Swiss Alps, it was - 20c but when we were at or near the summit of a mountain (by cable car) there was a very strong wind blowing too. There were warnings in place that the wind chill would be -40c and everyone was advised to take shelter in the restaurant and not linger outside! It was a clear day and the views were amazing, but at that point I hadn't a camera with me.

56 minutes ago, Corrie Kinkel said:

Regardless of how cold it must have been, with clear blue skies and sun's rays radiating above, it's an invitation to go outside.   The radio sends out wind chill warnings, and extreme cold warnings,  stating  how long it can take  before frost bite  sets in.  Usually within  a minute or  so.  I frequently sit out with the horses, out of the wind and  in the sun.  Their coats are toasty warm to the touch.  Quite often I will  have to  open  a coat, as there is still a fair amount of heat in the sun, eeven in the dead of winter. At least I get a small dose of vitamin D on my hands  face.  Our sky is almost  always a clear Caribbean blue year round.  Unlike Wales,  which has an endless cloud  ceiling.  Which I'm looking forward too in a funny sort of way.  I think to much time in one ambience, makes me long for something new.  In a way the  blank sunny skies has deprived me  of  the visual diversity that I may crave.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

😡 sorry. I stil had the string in mind. Hopefully I'am forgiven.  I'm no that well at the moment. I'v got the NORO-virus. But that is not the reason, I did not read well apparently. 

You have a  whole week, although there isn't   really a time limit to participate. Meanwhile  concentrate  on getting better.  We will look forward to seeing  what you create.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jannette Nieuwboer said:

😡 sorry. I stil had the string in mind. Hopefully I'am forgiven.  I'm no that well at the moment. I'v got the NORO-virus. But that is not the reason, I did not read well apparently. 

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well, Jannette... Sending my best wishes to you.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ann Seeber said:

My offering for the Cold challenge. Warwick Drive-In snowed in in 2017. I used the cass-framed-mask3, my photo and the embellishments and background paper from my Iceland mega kit. It has really come in handy for anything wintery. 

WDI IN THE SNOW 2017_600.jpg

Wonderful page and special thanks for adding a gnome for me. ❤️

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I came up with for COLD. A pic I took last winter or one before of a squirrel waiting for food. I can't help it; I feel sorry for them in bad weather and do the handouts for them and the birds year round. Costs a lot more than it used to! The background is a paper from somewhere, vector frames with bevel. (Might have used the photo here before?)

2023 Nov SBC Cold challenge-600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 4

• Cassel unpinned this topic