Quick-Page Workshop - May 2022

Cassel

A couple of shots from this morning's photo opp. I have 3 pairs, and 3 juvenile males.  At the moment they are eating me out of house and home, with oranges.  The Robins, get Blueberries, apples and grapes, which I ration, and not forgetting the ground squirrels they  get carrots, an anything the  birds drop.  They eat better than I do. :-)  But they are worth it, as they are ever so entertaining to observe. I'm going to give a tip and info. I  noticed that some have used the adjustment layers, to change colours.  Adjustment layers work very much like masks, and I use them a lot. They are best used either on a whole page, which doesn't have any checker board, (blank spaces) or  using the selection tool, to  edit a specific area. To enable you to go back at a later date to edit, just like a mask, when saved as a PSP. When used on a page which has  checker boards, you have to merge down afterwards, otherwise any images below will also be effected by the  adjustment layer.  Which sort of defeats the object of using   the adjustment layer, as you won't be able to go back and edit it. In order to save a few steps and time, try the  HSL  under adjust, on the top tool bar, as that tool will not effect any layer below.  If at a later date you want to change the colours of say a QP, you can always use your duplicate image.

Here are my pages.  One from my color course (#4 or 6 courses) showing a radial palette moving out from White in the Centre, if you could see the white hex as i put my 3D cube ontop for the photo.  Color is 3-dimensional.  Can anyone guess what would be on the corner of the cube not shown.  Bonus points if you know what's inside the cube, if you were to peel off the 6 faces of the cube(think: desaturated).  In the last course our cubes were 6x6x6 (this one is 4x4x4).  So many luscious hues.  the hexagons are a 2D representation of 3 sides of the 3 dimensional cube.  I love color more than any one should I think.

the second layout is from my nieces wedding in 2017.  It was a rustic outdoor Wedding and this background suited the decor.

Ann, I love your invasion.  Tonight as we were leaving work there were two geese, each on a separate roof of the two warehouses across from us.  they were having quite a conversation back and forth.  A co-worker and I watched it for 10 minutes, pretending to make up the words they could be saying.

Oh Sue, how sweet.  I love the look on the one with the carrot.  They are stunning with the stripes.  Question about putting out oranges (I just bought some, never thought about the birds would like them).  Do I just slice them and put in in the open feeder or on a dish or on the ground?  Adding in the mask gives a really nice balance to the layout.  I agree, they give us such pleasure to watch.

Ann, what do you do with your oranges? I feed seed (from Wild Birds Unlimited) and right now dried mealworms (yuk).  the crow and magpies are eating it up right now.  Oh, and unsalted peanuts (raw, blanched) as a treat, they don't seem to like the peanuts in the bird seed blend I have.

Susan, I bought an inexpensive (less than $20) orange and jelly feeder from Amazon. It really contains the jelly mess and gives them a place to perch. You can see it in these photos. The Amazon photo's birds are too small. In reality, those birds are twice that size at that feeder.

Sue Thomas: That layout looks great! That heading and the extra photo add a lot to a QP that, initially, I didn't really like very much. Please, tell me how you achieved that heading design. It looks vaguely familiar, but I can't find it anywhere on how to make it.

Susan,  I have Oriole feeders,  but I don't use them, I have  hooks screwed into  tree trunks dotted all over the place, where I  pierce  half an orange on.  You can also put orange halves in  bird trays.  Where ever you put them, the birds and insects will come.  Many other  bird species also enjoy  oranges,  and tuck into them as they are passing through,  also butterflies, bees and other pollinators.  They are a great substitute until flowers come into  bloom.  Personally I steer clear of  feeding  jelly,  as there are invariable some  artificial ingredients in them.   I will boil  old berries from the freezer, to put out, the pith and seeds, they devour the lot, and it's all natural.

Ann, thank you. I used a font monogram called Chuline, which I edited, after converting it to a raster.  I created the extended lines using the pen tool,  to accommodate the text, before creating an orange  glitter, to colour it, inner bevel.  I didn't use a drop shadow as the inner bevel was sufficient.  I don't think there is a tut anywhere, not that I can think of anyway.

Day 5--I worked on this last night, but didn't take time to upload it.

I have several oriels too! They have only been around here for the past 2 years.  Oranges are a treat, they mostly get grapy jelly. I have found my goldfinch also enjoy the jelly. I have to bring the feeder in at night--I am certain my racoons would love the jelly and tear the feeder apart.

Thank you Sue, I will try that technique.  And about the feeding information.  Soon I can put my bird baths out (3) and I was surprised to see the bumble bees going for drinks.  I am loving all the birds and animals (pets included!) I see from everyone's posts.  Hopefully I get to my pages today after I do some "adulting" (read: housework).

Sue Thomas: Thank you for your little "tut." I'll try it but don't expect anything like your masterpiece! As to the jelly, mine is organic with no additives, just fruit, juice and a little pectin to firm it up. My wild birds eat better than I do! ;-)

Ann, thank you for that, but I'm sue you will do an equally as good job on the monogram  title. Once you have converted to a raster it's  a simple case of adding the  glitter, or whatever you want, and adding an inner bevel.  as for the line extensions done with the pen tool, make sure the width matches the monogram.  I look forward to seeing what you come up with.  I'm a frequent visitor to a fruit farm throughout the summer, so the freezer gets filled with  many different fruits.  So I  overindulge the wildlife when they arrive.  Like your birds, mine   also dine better than I do.