Template Workshop 2022

Cassel

Thank you Sue for the info on brushes and to Carole for the answer to my question about the texture layer.

Lesson 7: I tried making a mask for one of the circular paper elements layers (without changing the brightness setting in order to make it opaque). It resulted in a translucent image therefore the background layers showed through. I am now assuming that the template layers are presented as tonal greys sometimes in order to differentiate them from each other especially if overlapping in a design. From your previous answer Carole I guess ClipToIt always treats the tonal template layers as if they are opaque black ones and knows what to do?

For the ribbons I went for plain colours as my overall images are so busy. Coincidentally I have chosen an Australian theme (having never been there though). I added a white border to a couple of the images to bring them out a bit and I used the Selection Expand technique from a previous lesson to do so.

I have found these lessons extremely useful and there is a wealth of creativity and techniques that is being shared. Need the time to read it all again. Thank you everyone especially to Carole.

FINALLY finished the Index for my Big Cats Album. This is the Diamond Template #5. It just gave me more room for the extra photos. Now on to Day 7, hopefully, the cover. I didn't even unzip the templates or watch the video yet!

EDIT: After contemplating my "finished" design I decided to try changing one of the photos that I had already "merged to group." I put the new photo on a layer just above the group and tried the "clip-to-it" with the group as the base. It worked! So, all I had to do was maneuver the photo to my liking and Merge to Group again.

Just like Ann I didn't do my templates in the given order to suit my story. This is the Diamond template 5 and I changed it considerably (but they are just a starting point as Carole says). It has no title because the journaling speaks for itself. The background is a blurred skyphoto and instead of 4 little photos I made 2 larger ones, some papers and again a flairbutton that I made from the supplies in the balloon kit.

Now I have to look into day 7 of the workshop to conclude my story.

Finlly on Day 6. 1st one done. The papers and the route 66 element are from my stash. The cluster is made from flower and grass in PSBT-July 21-Nature-DBMagnolia. The font is Magneto. The pictures are from our 2008 Route 66 trip and are of the road as it winds its way to Oatman, AZ.

This little beauty returned today.  Dark eyed Junco. I thought I would post these pages. For those that were introduced to masks for the first time in this template challenge.  Masking, is a powerful tool,  once you become comfortable using them.  I often create pages like these, many of them I  have posted in projects.  Same bird, two photos, one final image.  Using a mask, the selection tool, and a gradient.  Then the brush to touch it up.   After doing the first one, I noticed that the feather was present twice in the image, so I redid it.   Creating the second page. I will use these images in a project. The images have been greatly degraded, as the originals are 4,000 pixels  x 2,800 pixels, reduced to 600 pixels.

Carole,  I do talk to all the  animals, even the smallest's of insects. lol

Guest Guest

my result for Cass-Template 7

I made papers myself from original photo (in the lower right corner of the page) I used Effect Kaleidoscope and the second paper I did the plaid according to Carole's instructions. Thank you Carole so much for good guidance

the text from the Bible

Euka (#74441) glad to see those corners used, and yes, it is just a matter of rotation to use them in all four corners.

Liz (#74444) did you happen to "resize" the larger image sideways? It might be the original format, but it seems squished.

Trish (#74456) very colorful. I like how you used the same pattern for the title as for the background paper. Perfect match! (#74471) Because of the thickness of the flowers, a large shadow would likely make them stand out from the background. Did you try?

Fiona (#74458) you are correct: the script considers the opacity and not the darkness.

Julie (#74461) who would have considered fungus as art pieces? But you did!

Bonnie (#74468) too bad we live so far from each other. I don't know if there is much pickleball around here.

Monique (#74471) a bevel can be a great addition to create depth. I might go a little narrower for the size of the text, but you still need to add a shadow to be consistent with the thickness of the element. It is interesting how that rectangular photos became round. On the bottom left photo, it might use some reverse shadow to make a sort of separation from the background paper which is similar in color/tone.

Lynda (#74476) another great appearance of the moon!

Ann S (#74478) yes, once you have merged a group, you can always re-run the clip-to-it script to replace any photo. I have done that often too!

Corrie (#74482) using a very blurred version of your photo is a great way to create a background that perfectly matches the rest of the layout.

Mary (#74499) the clusters work well because you didn't rotate them much. If you pay attention to the shadows already on the clusters, it would look odd if you had rotated them more. Good job. Nice to see you add text on a path.

Sue (#74500) those photos could easily become a nice FB header!

Pirkko (#74504)  great layout with a monochrome look focussing on the verse.

Linda (#74507) was there something in particular that was unclear? Were you stuck on a particular tool or step?