Masks Workshop 2022

Cassel

here is day 6 very rear to see a young ibis. When he is fully grown he will be solid white. He also was alone which i have never seen they are usually in flocks when traveling threw my yard. I really do like the technique you stumbled across!!

<p style="text-align: center;">2rbflnwgdm92hs9itl1o28sa9b5lyngi.png</p>

Day 6  I used the red-brown color for the background because red dirt is one of the things Maui is known for, as well as their Beautiful rainbows and sunsets.  This photo was taken from the walkway of our hotel.  P S  I do like making the masks with the paint brush.  I chose a solid round brush to start with and enlarged it to the size I wanted for the center, one click only, then went to a different brush to do the rest.

Mary, (#72638) did you brush on the mask layer or on the photo layer? Typically, there should not be visible "dark" edges around the image. (#72705) Beware of addition on that kaleidoscope effects.

Liz, (#72651) I love how you have that frame that lets the image overlap. Very creative. As for the LOVE one, it is probably because the background is light and does not show the edges much.

Matsugirl (#72655) welcome to the Workshop. Your first page looks great. You didn't encounter any difficulties?

Anita, (#72661) if you create a mask and end up with the edge of the photo showing, one little trick could be to make a copy of the photo layer, activate the bottom layer of the two, enlarge it a bit and add a blur. It will blur the edges and give you a little extra space if some small sections of the mask are outside of the original photo. Something to try.

Lynda, (#72665) that is a bummer that your PSP complains when you resize the pattern. At least, you used an interesting alternative and I like the result. Maybe something else to consider in the future.

Hank, (#72671) that is a colorful page. I suspect you might have squished your nice photo. Those people look unusually thin. Maybe you can give them back a little weight? (#72673) Beautiful colors on that one.

Laurie, (#72675) that solid blue background definitely makes the photo shine. Good work on the mask.

Sue, (#72677) simple and delicate; your signature!

Royanne, (#72680) fantastic page and the masks really blend in with the background.

Randy, (#72686) beautiful way to display that flower. And you are right, sometimes we have to say "enough is enough". However, I guess it is so tempting to continue tweaking, and undoing, and redoing when using PSP!

Bonnie, (#72690) that is such a good idea to create your own brush! (#72741) How many pickleball t-shirts do you have??

Sherie, (#72694) did you happen to add a radial blur to the background paper? It gives a great effect to focus on the photo.

Fiona, (#72697) maybe your solution to resize would help Lynda? Sometimes, the result is better when using monochrome, sometimes, without it. It all depends on so many factors. As long as you know how to make it, tweak it and select the result that you want, that is what counts.

Lois, (#72707) the color choice is fantastic with that photo.

Gerry, (#72709) did you use the linoleum background as an overlay on the cat photo too? Whatever you did, it looks great!

Joyce, (#72711) using a gradient is a great variation on the tutorial and the result is very interesting.

Connie, (#72713) nice and great overall color. It is perfect for the photo. And by the way, we are not done; there is another lesson tomorrow!

Ellen, (#72717) the colors look great with the photo. It almost looks like cobblestones around the edges of the photo.

Corrie, (#72725) that pattern used as overlay looks great!!! It almost does not look like linoleum. And the dark color makes the photo shine!

Ann, (#72727) really cool kid. The additional Snoopy is a great touch!

Theresa,(#72730) I would also say you got it. Your page is gorgeous. The plaid is perfect and not overwhelming the photos.

Susan, (72732) I am a bit curious what size you started with for the lino pattern? The end pattern is quite large (I like it though) but it seems larger than others.

Linda, (#72734) yes, lowering the opacity is a great way to use that pattern and the end result is great.

Lavada, (#72735) the green background is perfect for the photo. I thought there was actually grass on the photo in the first place.

Anne, (#72747) yes, going around with different size or different settings is the way to go with those masks.

Sharon, (#72751) that is such a beautiful photo. Great way to make it "shine".

(#72752) Carole, I used the same size as the video.  I kept going with the repeat command till I didn't like it and then backed off a bit.  I found the smaller pattern was a bit busy and wanted to see how big I could go.  I wasn't sure how to do the blur and blend thing and stumbled my way through, ended up with two raster layers with lino on them.  When I'd hide one it would make the other one look weird (I cant seem to explain this part) even though it was two  different layers layers.  So I just merged the two layers together to keep the look you see in the layout.  I've done lino before and don't remember it doing that.  More practice needed from me as I like this technique.

Really beautiful layouts from everyone and I love the lino and kaleidoscope papers you all have made.

Carole - thank you :)

Lesson 3 - I downloaded the mask from the tutorial page, and I enlarged it a little and also altered the shape slightly using the 'perspective' option. The background kaleidoscope is made from a square from the original photo. The orange colour on the font is a colour-drop from my grandson's top.

My Grandchildren, aged 1 and 4 :)

Day 6 - So many amazing and wonderful variations and colours with the 'Lino' effect are being presented!

It is a lot of fun playing around with this, BUT - then the issue of trying to decide which colour/pattern is the best to use - decisions!!

I didn't have time during the week to work on the mask workshop so I started yesterday. I am not a scrapbooker but I'd like to learn the techniques. I've been using Affinity Photo for a few years and did not expect to be as confused as I am trying to do  these masks. Will these tutorials be available after today? I'd still like to learn PSP and these skills but I've run short of time and brain cells! In Affinity I've done a lot with adjustments, a little compositing, using mask layers and have used templates with masks but these were clipping masks.

Ann

Just today, when Lesson 7 has come out, am I finishing Lesson 3! When something works - and I don't know why - I just go with the result. The first kaleidoscope image for the background that came up is the one I accepted. I don't "do" scrapbooking in the traditional sense (weddings, births, big events) so this one to me feels "off" and unfinished. But I did it, and it worked for the most part.

In Lesson 2, I could NOT get the flood fill tool to fill in the background with the plaid I was finally able to make. Working with that many layers is just a little overwhelming, and I keep selecting the wrong layer and have to adjust it up and down in the Layers palette to try to achieve what I think I need to do. Then I just get tired of it and walk away. Sigh.

This is a pic of one of my college students from years ago on her special day. Not my photo, but one they had a professional take. I added a bit of light into the background of it b/c it just looked "flat" to me in the layout.

Another challenge draws to  a close, I thoroughly  enjoy all the challenges.  It gives myself and everyone  who participates a chance to become inspired by all the wonderful creative pages submitted, and for the newbies to persevere when they struggle, as everyone is so supportive, and helpful.  I have chipped in, and helped a few of you out. We were all beginners, and understand  what it takes to become knowledgeable  in using PSP. With time and practise, you will reap the rewards, and become proud of yourselves of what you will achieve. PSP is a never ending learning process.   As for you Carole,  you put so much into the campus to enable us all to  become more proficient in using PSP.  I thank you.

Day 7. Polka dots.  Macro photography.  I love all insects, but when it come to bees, this particular family of bee  the Megachilidae family, which consists of the Resin, Leafcutter and Mason, as a particular favourite of mine.  They lead very complex, fascinating lives.

Instead of  using a single polka dot, I created a triple,  duplicated, and moved the one layer to the centre of the  other layer, to achieve this effect.  I used some noise,  and blur.  Alos I used one of Carole's special fonts to create the frame around the  photo, before creating the mask.  I used a small size for the font, as I wanted the  bee to give the impression of being a giant.  Here is my final page, using my usual signature style.

I'm so behind, but I finally finished Project 4.  Really loved what I came up with in the Kaleidoscope background - reminded me of an oriental rug! Found the oompa loompas on some website which was in jpg format and I had to work on it to make it a png, but now it is in my fun elements.  This is my brother and me in St. Louis in 2013 on a tour of the city.  The Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate Factory is in "The Hill" district and you can have a tour of the factory.  We were the only people in the tour on that day as it was the last part of the day.  Fun.

Carole,

What you say about continuing is so true, and armed with new techniques and knowledge about use of tools never used or never used in a new way, it is also fun to get from where we were to where we now can go.

Thank you so much for introducing us to new things. I need to experiment more with PSP.