Bootcamp - Sept 2021

Cassel

I finally got my PSP to save but now I am on the road with no way to complete lessons. I arrive home tomorrow...full day Saturday...then back to lessons.

Carole, I am not sure what caused my PSP problems but I think a lot of my other problems were because of the update. I am still dealing with it tonight.

Looking forward to being back home and back on my desktop. I will continue to wrestle with my laptop...can't stand it when things don't work!

Anita, yes, that pinking effect is so simple, yet mostly unknown!

Helen, did you stretched Peanut's photo or is she stretching like that when she lays down?

Sue, the multiple frames might have a more "realistic" effect if each individual section had a shadow. Was that a single-layer frame?

Ann, thanks for that chart link!

Anne, I think I recognize those heart candies. Is that a freebie of mine?

Pirkko, those are beautiful colors. Have you considered adding a lifted shadow to the flowers?

Connie, glad to see that you find a different use for the guides.

Colin, that photo made me smile as there was a kid in my grade 3 class who always stuck his tongue out when he was concentrating on a writing or a craft class!

Wanda, copying other layouts is always a good "practice", but at the same time, it is ok to make it more your own by either changing the type of paper, the type of elements, and their numbers. Of course, it is a little different when it is a lesson (meant to practice) but afterward, it is ok to change things around. I also agree that many scrapbookers prefer to get inspired by the photo instead of starting from a template or a sketch. Both work. :)

Carole, each frame  is created on its own layer.  Frames are then merged down, to select the outside of the frames, to delete the  outside of the photo. I realize now that I didn't erase part of  one frame.  I had  a play around, as I always keep a psp copy of  the frames.  I did one with and without shadows inside.  I'm getting a bit careless of late, trying to pack  to much into my days. Not paying enough attention to details.

Bootcamp-Project 5 ~ Here are my Flower Bro grandsons, the infamous dancers who strewed flower petals at my granddaughter's wedding in June. (The wedding guests were laughing out loud!)

I used the same background and frame from the previous layout for the wedding preparations. The flowers are Tubes and I reduced the saturation. The title font is Dingo Nursery (shh-don't tell the Bros!) I liked that font because though the letters are bold they aren't solid and you can see what's behind them.  The brads came from one of my wedding kits.

Sue, thank you for the swans layout.  It is beautiful, and I never knew about that thing on their bills.  It is astounding to me they are in Sask.  I think of them as sea birds.  What an amazing place you live in.  I have relatives in Sask.(my parents were from there) and went there since I was a kid and never knew anything about the diverse bird population and the migratory stop-over locations.

Here is my last project.  I know I was going to do only Christmas card photos, but couldn't resist this tongue-in-cheek layout.  I work at a newspaper web press in the inserting department (where flyers are inserted into various papers by machine) and I happen to be inserting this weeks Lowe's flyer.  This is the words I was looking at while loading the hopper the flyer goes into.  In my head I could hear Carole's voice "anti-alias always on" ( or maybe it's "always checked", but my mind hears "ON").  Even Lowe's is helping us to remember those sacred words.  Pixel scrapper for all the elements.  Font was one that came with windows I believe.  I darkened the font, but used the same blue paper.  thank you Ann, for telling me about Hue/Saturation.  You had a cool job in graphics.  Oh, if I had it to do all over again... the things I'd do.... Oh, and I didnt have an "O" to take out so I made a space for a button to dot the eye.  The spacing is off, as is on my squares I see.

Carole, I'd love to see a post about Kerning, how to use it, what all of it means in the box that pops up. Is there "normal" settings.  Can you move one letter away from another, closer.  I've done that once, but I cant seem to do it again.  I did calligraphy and type fonts never seem to get "O", "W", "V" and "A" right, they put them too far away as they need to be spaced closer than normal to "appear" to be correct because of the angle and curves (depending on which letter is beside it).

Here is my Day 11 - Project 5. I have enjoyed my second Bootcamp  and  learned something new every week that I had forgotten from last time. I feel a lot more confident now to try new challenges with PSP. For this project I used Papers and elements from Digital Scrapbook. (Digi-Dewi Papers from The Good Life August 2021 Bundle, the flower is from Jessica Dun , frame is from R.Martin Celine at Digital Scrapbook. I filled part of the white frame with a green gradient that was close in color to the green paper for the tiles. Thank you Carole and everyone here for your tips and encouragement . You are all so talented and I enjoy looking at your projects. The photo  shows our handsome Smokey. He has crossed the Rainbow Bridge some years ago, but will always have a special place in our hearts

I was ready to resize project 4 and upload, went to have dinner and left it open on my pc and it crashed.  Not sure it is going to restart or not.  If not there will be no way to get it back.  I got the message "No hard drive found".  This has happened in the past right after an update but cleared with restart so hoping it will again.

Cindy, thanks for the kind words. I would suggest you avoid shadows in your text because ink has no thickness. Also, if you adjust the size of the font, you will avoid writing outside of the mat and onto another surface. You would not do that with a pen, would you?

Sue, isn't it amazing how a tiny shadow (barely visible) still makes a meaningful difference!?

Ann, that is so fun. It seems like more and more "flower girls" are replaced by "flower someone else". My daughter had chosen her grandma to be the flower "girl". Unfortunately, she passed a few months before the wedding so it was her youngest aunt who took her place. I can just smile imagining those guys throwing petals around!

Susan, don't you find it creepy when you start hearing my voice outside of tutorials!? LOL. As a quick answer to your question, kerning is the spacing between characters. If you highlight one word, the spacing will change only in that word. If you select only one letter, the spacing will be changed after that letter. So if you want more space between two letters, highlight the first one, and change the kerning value. I also see that you are getting comfy with shadows!

Laurie, I wonder if you would not need to add SOMETHING to that layout? Maybe a decorative element to simply add some layers? a dried corn husk or other harvest element? There is a set of hay tubes in the blog HERE.

Bonnie, I love how you used that gigantic plaid as a background and it is not overpowering because you added that blur. Very creative use.

Anita, I see that you are using different shadows for different elements now. Good practice!

Wanda, I hope your computer issues are not major or permanent! That would be so annoying!

Thank you Carole! I looked at the blog and I love the hay bale! I scoured pixel scrapper looking for inspiration for this one. I tried a couple of elements from there and they just didn't work. I think the hay bales will be awesome! I am going to rework the design today. One of the things I dislike about the current one is that my analogous colors make this one look very lifeless. So, I am going to use some complimentary colors in my design as well.

I Love Bootcamp      My Teacher Rocks

my classmates are  Awesome,   I love the Art and Everything    I will learn this because I really   it.    Ill have to get in storage and get pictures soon.  I am dreaming I get drawnen and win a membership.   The Prize I truly want so bad.

Thank You Cassel, Truly Love You and so blessed you picked this up in a few mins you had spare time.   Hugs cindy

Wanda, it is interesting to see you use shadows differently. It is obvious that the clip and the flowers are lifted away from the base, and it shows in your shadowing.

Laurie, you surprised me because I didn't think you would use the hay as a background, but it definitely adds volume. Have you tried adding a few with shadows on top to give even more volume? Another detail that might give a different look would be to move the image so they would not be as "flush"?

Nadine, I hope you will put some details on that layout to identify that person and that context. You don't have to post it as it might be personal, but if you share it with family, it might be interesting.

Bonnie, that background that comes back will make a very good common thread in your album!

Carole I was trying to remember what settings you used on that clip without going back to watch again.  Guess I got in a hurry.  That particular clip appears to be made from cardboard rather than a real metal clip.  To me it looks like it is floating and I think I went overboard a bit.  In spite of all the problems I had I enjoyed going over the classes again and appreciate you sharing your time and experience.

oups @Cassel she's my granddaughter Moïra LOL always my "model". She still digs into the old costumes I made for my children when they were young. Here is his father's costume, about the same age. While grandpa was starting to doze off on the sofa, Mademoiselle came at full speed, in zorro, to get out of there and play with her LOL

here's my project 5 :) with

Kit "Here We Go" by Neia Digital Scrapbook

Font "LaviossaMedium" by AnwarPatihan & "AmillinaItalic" by ©AEN Creative Studio

Photo perso of my granddaughter Moïra ;)

text: "Each time we visit Rouen, impossible to forget to stop at the cafe for a tasty treat. And like each time, Moïra passes order for a beautiful chocolate waffle. Who said gourmandise was a a bad thing? Not Moïra."

Thanks Cassel, I still learned something today !!!! I had never used "benchmarks" for alignment or otherwise. Thank you so much :)